Pick #69, Tyler Lockett, WR/KR/Gunner, KSU

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Exittium":1s7wn2cd said:
hawkfan68":1s7wn2cd said:
Exittium":1s7wn2cd said:
hawkfan68":1s7wn2cd said:
Now that Tyler is here, Ricardo's days are numbered. Tyler does everything Ricardo provides (WR, Gunner) and more (returns). Lockett is the upgrade for Lockette.

Not yet isn't lane the other gunner, with the namsty break?

Ya...Lane was the other gunner. Lockette became the gunner when Lane got hurt. Doesn't sound like Lane will be ready before the season starts though.

I think this kid will shine, and he's helping the team with Lane's absence as a gunner, as well WR with Richardson getting a new knee AND pr/kr thats a lot on his plate but, we shall see! Season needs to start as of after the sb ..

I agree with you. That's why I said that Tyler Lockett is an upgrade over Ricardo Lockette. Thus Ricardo Lockette's days as a Seahawk may be coming to an end.

Canhawks

Reaction score
Seahawk Sailor":2rm8ni0q said:
Hawkfiend":2rm8ni0q said:
hawknation2015":2rm8ni0q said:
Four picks for a return man . . . interesting.

He's a WR, KR and gunner.

It was only three picks. We swapped thirds and gave them three low picks. And from what I've seen, this guy has a ton of upside as a receiver, as well as being the versatile WR/KR/Gunner we needed badly all last year.
That totals 4 picks including the one we swapped in the 3rd.

Yxes1122

Reaction score
Spin Doctor":r1ww2d7n said:
I don't get why people are comparing him to Tate. The only thing they have in common is that they were both around the same size, and both were good return men.

Lockett is way more polished as a route runner than Golden Tate coming out of college. Tate was a very sloppy route runner in comparison to Lockett. Tate also was much better at hi pointing the ball than Lockett. Tate was a guy who played like he was a bigger receiver, I don't see Lockett making those tough jump ball catches in the NFL like Tate did. Tate also was much better after the catch in college, and in the NFL.

Simply put, Tate was much more physical than Lockett ever was or will be. He was better at going up for jump balls, and he was also more aggressive when it came to getting YAC. Lockett relies on textbook route running, and very quick transitions to get the ball.

I like Lockett as a slot receiver, and return man -- but I just don't think he is what the Seahawks need at wide receiver right now. We need more red-zone threats, and bigger wideouts that can help Wilson out when he gets into trouble. I just don't see Lockett as being that guy.
This is going to be a little vague so bare with me but I think they have the same spacial awareness in different bodies. The way Lockett moves on the field reminds me alot of Tate. The patience, the ability to navigate traffic and the shiftiness look very similar to me.

The way they play is different, no doubt. Tate took on contact and Lockett knows when to go down. Tate high pointed better but I think Lockett tracks the ball over his shoulder better. And I think Lockett runs better routes. So alot of difference, but when they have the ball in their hands, I feel like they move the same.

Vague I know. But that's where I see the similarities.

bandiger

Reaction score
Team was really lacking on PR/KR, Lockette was one of my favorites and JS/PC got him. I expected them to trade up didn't think it would take 4 picks to do it.

dopeboy206

Reaction score
Spin Doctor":16oi6129 said:
I don't get why people are comparing him to Tate. The only thing they have in common is that they were both around the same size, and both were good return men.

Lockett is way more polished as a route runner than Golden Tate coming out of college. Tate was a very sloppy route runner in comparison to Lockett. Tate also was much better at hi pointing the ball than Lockett. Tate was a guy who played like he was a bigger receiver, I don't see Lockett making those tough jump ball catches in the NFL like Tate did. Tate also was much better after the catch in college, and in the NFL.

Simply put, Tate was much more physical than Lockett ever was or will be. He was better at going up for jump balls, and he was also more aggressive when it came to getting YAC. Lockett relies on textbook route running, and very quick transitions to get the ball.

I like Lockett as a slot receiver, and return man -- but I just don't think he is what the Seahawks need at wide receiver right now. We need more red-zone threats, and bigger wideouts that can help Wilson out when he gets into trouble. I just don't see Lockett as being that guy.

This guy nailed it.

Kamcussion

Reaction score
Repeat after me..

We got the red zone threat we needed in the first round......

Ozzy

Reaction score
Shocked people are down on Lockett. He is going to be Wilson's running mate. Bank on it. There's a reason the Seahawks made a mad dash to get him.

SaskHawk

Reaction score
Kamcussion":uti5i3u1 said:
Repeat after me..

We got the red zone threat we needed in the first round......

Exactly, I don't think red zone will be an issue, defenses won't know what to do, load up the box or cover our league best TE. Then you will have other guys open because of this or an easy RW run in to the endzone. :th2thumbs:

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
austinslater25":13vo8le9 said:
Shocked people are down on Lockett. He is going to be Wilson's running mate. Bank on it. There's a reason the Seahawks made a mad dash to get him.
I understand the appeal in drafting a player like Lockett, he potentially has the ability to fulfil multiple roles on this team. He has the potential to be a gunner, return man, and perhaps decent wide receiver. I just wish that they would've gone a different route for a receiver. He doesn't seem like a guy who will always be a threat on the outside, THAT is what we really need right now. None of our receivers a good outside receivers right now, the only guy who is truly a threat there is Graham, and he's a tight end. Baldwin CAN play on the outside, but he's more suited for being a slot receiver.

I think Lockett might be a good supporting player, but I don't think he'll be a perennial threat on the outside, nor do I think he'll be a guy that particularly scare's defensive backs lined up across from him. He seems more like a jack of all trades, master of none type of guy.

chris98251

Reaction score
Spin Doctor":3ikp3duj said:
austinslater25":3ikp3duj said:
I understand the appeal in drafting a player like Lockett, he potentially has the ability to fulfil multiple roles on this team. He has the potential to be a gunner, return man, and perhaps decent wide receiver. I just wish that they would've gone a different route for a receiver. He doesn't seem like a guy who will always be a threat on the outside, THAT is what we really need right now. None of our receivers a good outside receivers right now, the only guy who is truly a threat there is Graham, and he's a tight end. Baldwin CAN play on the outside, but he's more suited for being a slot receiver.

I think Lockett might be a good supporting player, but I don't think he'll be a perennial threat on the outside, nor do I think he'll be a guy that particularly scare's defensive backs lined up across from him. He seems more like a jack of all trades, master of none type of guy.

Worked for Bobby Engram.

Northwest Seahawk

Reaction score
425HawkSpark":k9qflq9h said:
Isn't all the reasons we drafted lockett, why we drafted to richardson, and every other short WR

No Richardson wasn't a return man coming out of college he's an edge WR that was drafted to be our outside deep threat. Tyler is a returner that will play in the slot and will have designed sweeps and bubble screens. I like Tyler a lot better than PR . Still would have rather had Coates or Strong but I don't see bust at all with Tyler his return ability is legit and he will do damage there. As a WR I think once he gets on page with Wilson he'll be ok there as well maybe even replacing Baldwin who I would have fired after that absurd SB theatric.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
chris98251":l3l5um2b said:
Spin Doctor":l3l5um2b said:
austinslater25":l3l5um2b said:

Worked for Bobby Engram.
The thing is, we already HAVE players with those skillsets. I think Baldwin has the potential to be one of the scariest slot receivers in the league. We do not, however have anybody besides Graham that really opens things up for our offense. I think Lockett will be a good role player, but I don't think he'll ever be that receiving threat that we need so desperately right now.

theincrediblesok

Reaction score
Spin Doctor":qes28v8v said:
chris98251":qes28v8v said:
Spin Doctor":qes28v8v said:
austinslater25":qes28v8v said:

Worked for Bobby Engram.
The thing is, we already HAVE players with those skillsets. I think Baldwin has the potential to be one of the scariest slot receivers in the league. We do not, however have anybody besides Graham that really opens things up for our offense.

Chris Matthews, I still believe he will do wonders this year.

chris98251

Reaction score
We don't have the skill sets in one player, Baldwin is functional at returns but not good, he is a slot guy. Lockette can go inside, outside at WR as well as PR/KR/Gunner, that's 5 rolls in one player.

rcambaker

Reaction score
Lockett is a steal and I don't understand why people are down on him. He fills multiple needs (PR and WR) and he is a great route runner and can stretch the field. According to the draft chart we actually got more then we gave up. Plus 11 drafted guys were not going to make this team, and each pick we gave up we have a comp pick a few picks later.

Lockett is a great pick and there are a lot of teams that wanted him.

theincrediblesok

Reaction score
Tyler Lockett is also a film rat, which Wilson would love, the chemistry would be great just like how he was with Tate.

dopeboy206

Reaction score
Spin Doctor":amzwgzxc said:
austinslater25":amzwgzxc said:

I like your analysis of Tate and Lockett. I just don't see Tate in his game like others do besides their size. You seem to really know your football and I agree with everything you said in this thread. Including this post. And yes Baldwin can play the outside but he is more of a slot WR. I'm hoping Matthews can be that outside guy. And don't forget Norwood and Kearse.

OP
OP
J

jake206

Reaction score
http://www.boltsfromtheblue.com/201...ett-has-a-chance-to-be-the-steal-of-the-draft

Great read on Tyler Lockett's route running ability. People don't realize how long it took G. Tate to develop, yet it took Richardson only about 1/2 a season to push for a starting spot. Why? Route running. Its also why Harvin's touches were so limited. He didn't have the full route tree down. It also doesn't hurt that Lockett learned quite a bit from his father: Kevin Lockett, NFL WR for KC Chiefs.