Poll: Can Geno Take Us All The Way

Do you believe Geno Smith can take the Seahawks to the Super Bowl and win?

• Yes

Votes: 65 43.6%
  • No

Votes: 62 41.6%
  • I am not sure

Votes: 22 14.8%

• Total voters

hawkfan68

Reaction score
I knew that Geno Smith and the Seahawks struggled in the redzone. I looked his stats and they were eye opening how bad it really was. He only averaged a completion rate of 53% inside the 20. It got worse when they were inside the 10 at 50%.

I hope this is an area he and the Seahawks significantly improve upon next season.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
BECAUSE LYNCHS' BRUTALITY RUNS KEPT DEFENSES AT BAY, AND HONEST, THOSE ARE JUST THE FACTS!
Think not??? think about how the Seahawks beat the Saints the year BEFORE Wilson even entered the League.
ALSO, if Trent Dilfer could take a team to a Super Bowl AND WIN IT (because their Run Game & Defense were top shelf) there's no reason to DOUBT that if given the right Supporting Cast AROUND him, that Geno couldn't do the same, and ANYONE who argues that it isn't POSSIBLE is lying to themselves for arguments sake.

Calm down and take a breath. The opposing defense couldnt just concentrate on Lynch with Wilson being a viable runner in the zone option. It shouldnt be hard to understand that.

Dilfer didnt turn the ball over in crucial situations. Smith does.

BASF

Reaction score
I knew that Geno Smith and the Seahawks struggled in the redzone. I looked his stats and they were eye opening how bad it really was. He only averaged a completion rate of 53% inside the 20. It got worse when they were inside the 10 at 50%.

I hope this is an area he and the Seahawks significantly improve upon next season.
How many of those were us trying to force stuff to DK on bad percentage passes? I know there are several DK shills here, but he does not high point a ball well. Which is directly on Waldron for continuing to call those plays where DK fails to time a jump properly. He also dropped several touchdowns in the red zone that were not high pointing and were directly in his hands.

NampaHawk

Reaction score

Serious question - do you consider Josh Allen elite?

Spohawks

Reaction score
Hard yes! Dilfer won it all with the Ravens and he suuuucked!!!

If we could have seen Geno's final stats at the start of the year, everyone would have been fired up.

He is slow and that is what makes me think its time to move on but then I am reminded that Brady ran a 40 yard dash at a blazing 5.23 at the combine.

WarHawks

Reaction score
Hard yes! Dilfer won it all with the Ravens and he suuuucked!!!

If we could have seen Geno's final stats at the start of the year, everyone would have been fired up.

He is slow and that is what makes me think its time to move on but then I am reminded that Brady ran a 40 yard dash at a blazing 5.23 at the combine.
Please don't tell me we're comparing Geno to Tom Brady now. Good grief. Take it down a notch people.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
I have nothing but respect for Geno and his break threw this season, but he seems to choke when the game is in the balance and seems not quite up to the task.

Perhaps he just needs more opportunities to not throw that critical pick, fumble, miss the pass when the game is in the balance. I do like his humility and have a genuine sense there could be more to his game, but I sure would be apprehensive about signing him to more than a prove it type deal even with his great season this year.

I do want to see the Hawks draft a young QB with potential but am not sure that needs to be in the first round. For that matter I’m 🤔not sure Lock with a year under his belt in Waldron’s scheme couldn’t possibly be the work around.

With no QBs on the roster yet for ‘23 the team could do a lot worse by not re-upping Geno. Still I’m not sold he’s got that ‘it’.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Serious question - do you consider Josh Allen elite?
I do. Josh Allen has proven time and time again that he can lift his team to a win. He has the "it" factor. Something that Geno has not had thus far. Yes, Josh Allen's redzone comp pct numbers are also down but go back to last year, they were higher and in 2020 he was at 63%. Josh is also working with a new OC this season. As Brian Daboll is now the Giants HC.

Last season Geno only had 10 attempts inside the 20 and was 50%. I had to go back to 2013 to compare Geno's redzone stats. They were worse than this season. He had comp pct of only 43% from inside the 20.

Redzone offense is more than just the QB that's why I also said the "Seahawks". However, he is also part of that too. He and the team need to improve in that area. To compare, Russell Wilson (in his last full season injury free - 2020) was 63%. Primarily throwing to the same weapons that Geno has. Except, Russell may have had a lesser run game support that season than Geno had this year.

Side note: Brock Purdy's redzone comp pct numbers are off the charts. He's far away the leader in this category for 2022. He's at 76%. Justin Fields is at 68%.

Last edited:

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Calm down and take a breath. The opposing defense couldnt just concentrate on Lynch with Wilson being a viable runner in the zone option. It shouldnt be hard to understand that.

Dilfer didnt turn the ball over in crucial situations. Smith does.
LOLOL Telling someone to "Slow Down" is an admission that you are often stymied with the facts, & have to keep coming up with nonsensical arguments to save face & stay in the conversations.
So you're in the belief that Lynch had little to no affect in keeping Defenses at bay and helping to keep Wilson CLEAN??? Yeah, that's rich LOLOLOLOLOL
You might want to check to see how many interceptions, turnovers etc. that Dilfer had, again LOLOLOLOL
OH AND, Dilfer was sent packing the following season by the Ravens, as they still had Lewis & that really good Defense.

Last edited:

scutterhawk

Reaction score

Remember all those Field Goals. and LACK of TD's that we had when Wilson got in the red zone??
Remember all the griping from the posters in here that were getting sick of all those 3 & outs, or settling for all those 3 pointers?? because I sure as hell do.

hawker84

Reaction score
Absolutely with the right pieces brought in on both sides of the ball. This off season will be crucial...

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
LOLOL Telling someone to "Slow Down" is an admission that you are often stymied with the facts, & have to keep coming up with nonsensical arguments to save face & stay in the conversations.
So you're in the belief that Lynch had little to no affect in keeping Defenses at bay and helping to keep Wilson CLEAN??? Yeah, that's rich LOLOLOLOLOL
You might want to check to see how many interceptions, turnovers etc. that Dilfer had, again LOLOLOLOL
OH AND, Dilfer was sent packing the following season by the Ravens, as they still had Lewis & that really good Defense.

I'm not saying that at all about Lynch. I'm saying Wilson contributed to Lynch's success also as defensive players had to concentrate on him during running plays too. Pretty simple concept.

How many of Dilfers turnovers were at critical times? They sent Dilfer packing and didnt sniff another Super Bowl for 12 years. Hmmmm.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Remember all those Field Goals. and LACK of TD's that we had when Wilson got in the red zone??
Remember all the griping from the posters in here that were getting sick of all those 3 & outs, or settling for all those 3 pointers?? because I sure as hell do.
I do remember. However, it still doesn’t change the fact that Geno’s numbers have been worse in the redzone.

Geno is much taller and can see the field better than Wilson, as we are told, yet Geno’s redzone comp pct is worse than Wilson (while Wilson was a Seahawk).

Last edited:

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
I absolutely hate the "DILFER DID IT" comments. That was in an era that favored the running game and all but allowed defenses to murder people and mug wide receivers. Even then he needed a historically good run game and defense to get his ring. That was a once in a generation defense. Dilfer was also not making over 15 percent of the teams cap.

CARROLL DID IT WITH WILSON! Once again, Wilson was on his rookie deal and he was actually playing at a relatively high level. Wilson wasn't just some random slob QB. He was also extremely good in crunch time situations. Even with a historically good defense, we needed him to pull stuff out of his bag of tricks a time or two. He also had a historically good, once in a generation defense.

Foles and Flacco are worth mentioning, but they also went on historically good playoff runs. Flacco and Foles both were elite in the playoffs and pulled of some BS. Foles also didn't play for most of the year which means teams didn't have much tape on the guy. Pederson also completely altered the offense.

The only time I saw truly bad QB play win the Super Bowl in the modern era. was 2015 with the Broncos fielding the corpse of Peyton Manning. It's the only case of the guy taking up a huge portion of the salary cap and performing below average that I can think of that got the Bowl win.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
I'm not saying that at all about Lynch. I'm saying Wilson contributed to Lynch's success also as defensive players had to concentrate on him during running plays too. Pretty simple concept.

How many of Dilfers turnovers were at critical times? They sent Dilfer packing and didnt sniff another Super Bowl for 12 years. Hmmmm.
Well there you go Pittsburgh-Panthers, if the Seahawks send Geno "Packing" and they don't even "Sniff" another Play-off in the next couple years? Hmmmm.
The Beast/Wilson gig was you call 'SYMBIOSIS', and MAYBE Lynch would not have had as much success without having Wilson @ Quarterback, but I WILL BET YOU MY RETIREMENT CHECK against your Rent/House Payment, that without Marshawn Lynch in the lineup, Wilson DOES NOT HAVE THE SUCCESS he had in his first 2 years with the Seahawks.
Like I said, "Geno IS NOT The End All be All @ Quarterback for the Seahawks", BUT there are waaaay better football minds that have stated >CONCLUSIVELY<, that last years shortcomings, "WERE NOT ON GENO SMITH".
He flourished for nine games under a suspiciously Blaese O-Line & Crap Defense who couldn't carry their end of the responsibilities, AND WERE THE DIRECT REASON for many of their losses, the PROOF is in the "Time of Possession" funk that our Defense were in for MOST of the season.
I SHOULD be charging you big $money for all this pertinent information on how things roll in the NFL, but out of the kindness of my heart, I haven't asked for even ONE RED CENT.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
I absolutely hate the "DILFER DID IT" comments. That was in an era that favored the running game and all but allowed defenses to murder people and mug wide receivers. Even then he needed a historically good run game and defense to get his ring. That was a once in a generation defense. Dilfer was also not making over 15 percent of the teams cap.

CARROLL DID IT WITH WILSON! Once again, Wilson was on his rookie deal and he was actually playing at a relatively high level. Wilson wasn't just some random slob QB. He was also extremely good in crunch time situations. Even with a historically good defense, we needed him to pull stuff out of his bag of tricks a time or two. He also had a historically good, once in a generation defense.

Foles and Flacco are worth mentioning, but they also went on historically good playoff runs. Flacco and Foles both were elite in the playoffs and pulled of some BS. Foles also didn't play for most of the year which means teams didn't have much tape on the guy. Pederson also completely altered the offense.

The only time I saw truly bad QB play win the Super Bowl in the modern era. was 2015 with the Broncos fielding the corpse of Peyton Manning. It's the only case of the guy taking up a huge portion of the salary cap and performing below average that I can think of that got the Bowl win.
Like you stated "A HISTORICALLY GOOD DEFENSE", Oh and let's not OMIT that Marshawn Lynch playing a HUGE ROLE in Wilsons' successes.
Wilson DID NOT have the successes he had IN A VACUUM, we had Rice, Tate & Lynch who deserves some of that 'Feel Good' too
The SB against the Patriots and you DON'T GIVE THE BALL TO LYNCH, but instead HAVE WILSON THROW THAT effing INTERCEPTION????????

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
Well there you go Pittsburgh-Panthers, if the Seahawks send Geno "Packing" and they don't even "Sniff" another Play-off in the next couple years? Hmmmm.
The Beast/Wilson gig was you call 'SYMBIOSIS', and MAYBE Lynch would not have had as much success without having Wilson @ Quarterback, but I WILL BET YOU MY RETIREMENT CHECK against your Rent/House Payment, that without Marshawn Lynch in the lineup, Wilson DOES NOT HAVE THE SUCCESS he had in his first 2 years with the Seahawks.
Like I said, "Geno IS NOT The End All be All @ Quarterback for the Seahawks", BUT there are waaaay better football minds that have stated >CONCLUSIVELY<, that last years shortcomings, "WERE NOT ON GENO SMITH".
He flourished for nine games under a suspiciously Blaese O-Line & Crap Defense who couldn't carry their end of the responsibilities, AND WERE THE DIRECT REASON for many of their losses, the PROOF is in the "Time of Possession" funk that our Defense were in for MOST of the season.
I SHOULD be charging you big $money for all this pertinent information on how things roll in the NFL, but out of the kindness of my heart, I haven't asked for even ONE RED CENT.

As soon I quit laughing about all of your capitalization i'll respond.

Wow he flourished for 9 games behind a crap Oline and crap defense. So what. Wilson did that for years. What happened to Geno those other games by the way?

The only money you should be using is for your therapist if you truly believe Smith could ever take an NFL team to the dance.

olyfan63

Reaction score
Wilson's running and the threat of him running were a key factor in the Hawks winning the Super Bowl. Wilson and BeastMode made each other better.

Geno is actually pretty fast. He ran a 4.56, adjusted to 4.59 at the NFL combine.

Russell was credited with a 40 time of 4.53, that was adjusted to 4.55. We already know Russell is fast from watching him outrun defenders to the sticks.