Poll: Does Pete stay if the Seahawks made the playoffs?

Do the Seahawks retain Pete if they made the playoffs?

• Yes

Votes: 14 32.6%
  • No

Votes: 6 14.0%
  • Yes, but he would have had won at least the wildcard round

Votes: 12 27.9%
  • Yes, but they would’ve had to have made a deep run

Votes: 11 25.6%

• Total voters

seabowl

Reaction score
This is a tough question that we will never know the answer but interesting to speculate

sutz

Reaction score
Qualified no. Maybe if he won a couple of playoff games, but I think this has been in the mill for a while now.

Changed my vote to the new option. :)

OP
OP
seabowl

seabowl

Reaction score
Based on some of the feedback here, I just added another YES choice of having to have made a deep run.

mistaowen

Reaction score
I think yes with a caveat that if next season doesn't improve on basically everything defense related they wouldn't extend him. The Steelers loss and then barely beating a bad Cardinals team who actively threw the game away was probably the last straw. Once all the year end metrics were tallied Pete was running arguably the worst defense in football.

My armchair guess also is JS is much less excited about the roster than Pete and he wants to tear it apart while Pete multiple times stated they were really close. So more of a traditional 'rebuild' than a 'retooling' like Pete wants and Jody sided with JS.

renofox

Reaction score
If the Seahawks had won a Divisional game, the cost of firing him would have been too high and Jody could not have made the decision to remove him.

Fan relations and the perception of potential future coach/executive candidates would have both taken too huge of a hit.

Gotta have fans and gotta have access to the best and brightest hires. In no way would she degrade that.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
Trash accumulates and eventually it must be emptied, even if it accumulates slowly.

It was time for Pete's trash can to be emptied... regardless of whether or not the team made the playoffs this year.

flv2

Reaction score
I would have gone with Yes and no stipulations. I think firing Carroll was hard and if the team had made the playoffs it would have been too hard. Additionally some of the potential replacements might have made plans before the Seahawks got to act.

chrispy

Reaction score
My belief is that Pete knew he had some expectations this season and he knew he wasn't meeting those expectations. The single most telling event that indicates such, to me, is the Leonard Williams trade. It's a trade that sticks out as different than any other in the PC/JS era. As a relatively high cost/short-term benefit, mid-season move, I think it shows Pete knew he needed a change ASAP. That move didn't improve the pass-rush nor the run D so....

I'm a fan of Pete Carroll. Many here have been saying, "the game has passed him by" or similar, for a few years. To that point, he has always valued DB play over pass-rush. There's been more investment from the draft and FA in the backfield vs relying on relatively cheap FA DL/Edge used in rotation. As the league has disadvantaged DBs and as on-field calls have done the same, the game has tipped slightly away from Pete's philosophy...making it harder for his team to consistently win.

I believe, last season he was given an ultimatum to prove it still works and he started the season with confidence he could: healthy JAdams and Riq Wollen coming off a great season. When it wasn't playing out that way, he brought in Leonard Williams as a Hail Mary.

To the topic of the thread, if any of my thoughts above are accurate (and they may very well be flawed) I don't think the decision was made solely on W/L record or making the playoffs or playoff wins. I think it really was a "football decision". I don't think one win would have made a difference.

I hope he sticks around to advise, especially with his hand picked DBs. If the new regime (relatively) heavily invests in Edge this off-season, I'll see it as a sign some of the above hits a mark.

xray

Reaction score
Did you see PC's expression when he looked up and saw that GB beat the Bears ? He was probably told earlier ; after the 4 game losing streak..." make the playoffs or pack up your gum " .