Votes: 7 36.8%
  • Cleveland

Votes: 12 63.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

JSeahawks

Reaction score
Hawk-Lock":1j1fyx52 said:
Do you think it is fair to say that LeBron James had more pressure on him from day one than any athlete in the history of sports? He was basically being called The Chosen One when he was a 18-year old kid. Someone on ESPN brought this up, and I don't think I can think of anyone else who had more pressure put on their shoulders from the moment they became a pro sports player. And I think it's safe to say LeBron not only met the hype but exceeded it. This cements LeBron as top 5 of all time, and when it is all said and done he will likely be right behind MJ at #2. I'm not saying that he will deserve it, but with the day and age we live in, people will say he is #2. Is it even possible for him to leap MJ and be #1? He is 3 titles behind, so what happens if he wins 3 more? 4 more?

I think Tiger Woods is right up there. He was set to save a sport, destroy racial stereotypes, and compete with Arnold and Jacks records before he ever turned pro.

Also Jackie Robinson comes to mind.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Uncle Si":1m1dt9qa said:
Hawk-Lock":1m1dt9qa said:
Do you think it is fair to say that LeBron James had more pressure on him from day one than any athlete in the history of sports. He was basically being called The Chosen One when he was a 18-year old kid. Someone on ESPN brought this up, and I don't think I can think of someone else who had more pressure put on their shoulders the moment they became a pro sports player.

Props to LeBron and the city of Cleveland.

I think that's fair. He was anointed the "King" in high school and spent the early part of his career as the best player on his team even though he was barely in his 20s. While "the Decision" has always seemed as a cop out in many ways, when looked at in full perspective it made alot of sense... just to relieve some of that pressure he's always had.

I haven't been the biggest Lebron supporter. Not a hater, by any stretch. But many of my criticisms of him as a player (and in comparison to Jordan), especially following that poor performance in Game 4 were answered the last three games. He deserves all the accolades, and to be put in the 1a/1b discussion for best player in NBA history.

Not to defend the Decision, but the pressure was on Lebron long before that. He was a one man show on a bad Cleveland team that essentially refused to bring him help, and he continued to take them far. Opting to play with Wade and Bosh, while detestable in the way it was handled, took the pressure off him. Opposite of a "look at me" in reality. He was now one of three top players and didn't have to do it all.

Ozzy

Reaction score
Couldn't agree more. I didn't start off a Lebron fan but with so much hate for him and just watching him play I've become one.

kearly

Reaction score
I didn't watch any of the previous games in this series, but I thought Cleveland played a much more complete game and at many times during the game I was dumbfounded that it was as close as it was.

Basically, if not for Draymond Green playing the best game of his entire life, it would have been a blowout win for Cleveland. Cleveland dominated the boards, dominated in the paint, did a much better job drawing fouls, and played under control.

Golden State forgot what made them good in the first place (passing and getting open looks) and took way too many bad shots.

Both teams sucked in the final 3 minutes, but unfortunately GS sucked more than Cleveland did. I'm happy for Lebron / Cleveland and I'm happy that the idiot press got some comeuppance after slamming the Cavs all season long over the most insanely petty bullshit...

...but still, I was rooting for GS. After the 2001 Mariners, I know how much it stings to come up short on a historic season and I didn't want to see that happen to a good org like GS. Especially not after leading 3-1 in the series and dropping two at home. Not that it's a perfect analogy, but can you imagine if SB XL were played in Seattle and the result were the same? With Jerome Bettis kissing the trophy in front of a stadium full of Seahawks fans? Can you imagine the insanity of that? Because that's basically what Warrior fans had to endure last night with Lebron weeping with the trophy in a stadium full of stunned and grieving fans.

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
austinslater25":2i9nb8dw said:
Couldn't agree more. I didn't start off a Lebron fan but with so much hate for him and just watching him play I've become one.

Kobe was the same way for me. Hated him for most of his career, but later on I grew to appreciate his greatness.

I always felt most of the LeBron hate was unwarranted in the past. Even the haters can't hate on LeBron anymore. They can choose not to like him as a player/person, but they have to acknowledge that he is already one of the all-time greats.

NINEster

Reaction score
District of Columbia is the most starved sports city since 2000 in terms of playing in a championship game (NLCS, NFC Championship, NBA Conference Finals, let alone the actual championship games of these sports) -- they're the only city with 3 major sports teams not to play in that caliber game.

Cleveland is probably 2nd, but the Cavs had been in the Finals a few times prior to this win.

Take away the Joe Gibbs' Super Bowl Skins and DC is pretty damn starved....

Maulbert

Reaction score
NINEster":1p84ggpt said:
District of Columbia is the most starved sports city since 2000 in terms of playing in a championship game (NLCS, NFC Championship, NBA Conference Finals, let alone the actual championship games of these sports) -- they're the only city with 3 major sports teams not to play in that caliber game.

Cleveland is probably 2nd, but the Cavs had been in the Finals a few times prior to this win.

Take away the Joe Gibbs' Super Bowl Skins and DC is pretty damn starved....

In the last 50 years, Cleveland has 1 world championship in the big 4 sports with 5 title appearances. Washington has 4 championships with 10 title appearances. If you want to throw in soccer, Washington has 8 championships with 15 title appearances, and last won in 2004. No one would claim Washington was more starved than Cleveland. Hell, Washington has as many World Series titles as Cleveland in the last 90 years, and Washington didn't even have a major league team for 33 of them!

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
Yeah the spotlight now moves off of Cleveland and onto these cities IMO:

San Diego (Chargers and Padres have won nothing, then add in the SD Clippers and Rockets when they had the NBA)
Minnesota
Buffalo

OP
OP
H

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Hawk-Lock":3vmav462 said:
Yeah the spotlight now moves off of Cleveland and onto these cities IMO:

San Diego (Chargers and Padres have won nothing, then add in the SD Clippers and Rockets when they had the NBA)
Minnesota
Buffalo
San Diego's last title was the Chargers' 1963 AFL Championship. IIRC Buffalo's was the 1964 AFL Championship unless the Sabres have won a Stanley Cup. As for Minny, their drought isn't as bad as the Twinkies won a World Series in the 80s I believe.

formido

Reaction score
kearly":1iq5blla said:
Golden State forgot what made them good in the first place (passing and getting open looks) and took way too many bad shots.

Well, the big problem is that Curry just never recovered from the knee injury.

http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/ste ... shot-back/

...so Cleveland didn't have to sag quite as much into the gravity of Curry. Cleveland is not a great defensive team, but they looked great this series.

There was a report between the series saying that Curry was having problems with his shoulders and knee and may need surgery in the off-season. When asked about it, Curry scoffed and said something like, "I just laughed when I heard that nonsense about my shoulders."

All you have to do is think back to last year's Finals. Curry didn't have a hugely productive Finals but he had many memorable shots off dribbling moves and drives to the basket. There was none of that this Finals. He didn't try to make moves, didn't go to the basket, and couldn't get away from anyone. I expect if there's a rematch of this Finals next year, the Cavs will get swept.

Even still, there is another universe where Green is not suspended and this series was over in game 5. Usually, the best team wins the NBA title, one of the things I happen to like about basketball. Not this time.