Props to Cam Newton

randomation

Reaction score
Hawk-Lock":pxg003dc said:
I don't get the Cam hate. People say he doesn't have class, where does this come from? Because he celebrates in the endzone? Other than his celebrations, how is he not classy?

Clueless fans think the same about Richard Sherman. IMO, Sherman is a class-act, but public perception is that he is a loud mouth, taunts and celebrates too much.

He celebrates literally everything he mocks other QBs doing their celebrations there is also the thing with the 12 flag. After that you can go back to college where he managed to get kicked off Florida and you have to do some shit to get kicked off florida as a highly touted recruit. Then you have the high likelyhood that either he or his father was paid for him to play at Auburn. He is also just insufferable. But mainly it's the mocking other qbs celebrations that really rubs me the wrong way.

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
randomation":3mn0b6vt said:
Hawk-Lock":3mn0b6vt said:
I don't get the Cam hate. People say he doesn't have class, where does this come from? Because he celebrates in the endzone? Other than his celebrations, how is he not classy?

Clueless fans think the same about Richard Sherman. IMO, Sherman is a class-act, but public perception is that he is a loud mouth, taunts and celebrates too much.

He celebrates literally everything he mocks other QBs doing their celebrations there is also the thing with the 12 flag. After that you can go back to college where he managed to get kicked off Florida and you have to do some shit to get kicked off florida as a highly touted recruit. Then you have the high likelyhood that either he or his father was paid for him to play at Auburn. He is also just insufferable. But mainly it's the mocking other qbs celebrations that really rubs me the wrong way.

Ok, so then by your terms:

Sherman is a d-bag (he celebrates more than any DB, he is a loudmouth, etc.)

Bruce Irvin is a problem TODAY because he got arrested way back in the day and had got into off-field problems at WVU.

Just want to make sure you see the Panther players in the same light as the Seahawk players. So he celebrates too much and got in trouble when he was 18-years old. Like who cares? The guy is a phenomenal football player.

bevellisthedevil

Reaction score
Hawk-Lock":201atnf7 said:

and I didn't like Sherman's act either. I wanted him just to shut up and play football. I am thinking too many fans are crossing over from the WWE or WWF. Act like you have been there before. Cam is a very good athlete who is starting to figure out how to play QB and he is a monster. It is unfortunate that he has to act like an ass every time he gets a first down.

I want to watch football and I understand celebrations are part of the game, however, at the rate Cam Newton celebrates I think some of you need to go watch the Cheerleading Championships on ESPN the Ocho.

TestMo1337

Reaction score
I don't like the fact that Cam is all smiles when he wins and all frowns when he's losing.

No one likes losing, but I don't see him helping him team claw back from a 31 point deficit to give his team a fighting chance.

RFBam medium

Celebrate all you like; there's not enough celebrating. But if you're gonna celebrate every first down run you get in the 1st QTR, you better damn well be doing it when you're struggle for 1st downs in the 4th QTR too. It's easy to be arrogant when you're winning but I don't see him show his swagger when he's down.

Giphy

Giphy

When you are known for a specific celebration, know that people will mock you when they win a match-up.

KaepCam

Nosuperman

Evilniners

SeAhAwKeR4life

Reaction score
I think the Cam hate is a little over the top. He's a great QB and MVP without question. Maybe he's a little douchey seeming to some, but the space some of you let him rent in your heads over it is ludicrous.

JSeahawks

Reaction score
Hawk-Lock":3qjwh1lo said:

For me the difference is that Sherman's stuff was all in the moment. Cams are rehearsed, practiced and choreographed. I love spontanious celebration and showmanship. Practiced and perfected "everybody look at me" routines are annoying.

(although i have no problem admitting that if Cam was a Seahawk i'd probably love him).

NINEster

Reaction score
Uncle Si":275txdue said:
Way to ruin the appreciation your QB was getting...

The only QBs that "measure up" to Wilson around here are established pocket guys like Brady, Rodgers, Brees, etc.

All of the young mobile guys never got real props here. If anything it was a backhanded compliment that they are almost as good as Wilson or something.

Face it, it's true.

HomerJHawk

Reaction score
Cam's alright. I think many of us are just getting older and bitterer (sp?). Happens to all fan bases.

[disclaimer: this is not directed at anyone reading this. it's the other ones I'm talking about]

SeAhAwKeR4life

Reaction score
NINEster":2djola5c said:
Uncle Si":2djola5c said:

The only QBs that "measure up" to Wilson around here are established pocket guys like Brady, Rodgers, Brees, etc.

All of the young mobile guys never got real props here. If anything it was a backhanded compliment that they are almost as good as Wilson or something.

Face it, it's true.

I gave Cam his props, but wish as you might Kraepernick will never be "good". :stirthepot:

SeAhAwKeR4life

Reaction score
SeAhAwKeR4life":1tmliquj said:
NINEster":1tmliquj said:
Uncle Si":1tmliquj said:

Face it, it's true.

I gave Cam his props, but wish as you might Kraepernick will never be "good". :stirthepot:

Perhaps "Alex Smith good" but never, actually good.

Tech Worlds

Reaction score
NINEster":3w4jx75p said:
Uncle Si":3w4jx75p said:

Face it, it's true.
Well I'm glad you finally figured us out.

NINEster

Reaction score
SeAhAwKeR4life":g854dxzm said:
NINEster":g854dxzm said:
Uncle Si":g854dxzm said:

Face it, it's true.

That remains to be seen. And that would be disputing that he wasn't good his first season and a half starting.

What we've seen with Cam is a guy who came out relatively on fire his rookie year, then didn't do a whole lot in 2012. In 2013 he made the playoffs but got beat at home by "Kraepernick".

In 2014 his team didn't do a whole lot, and in one game against Philly he looked terrible and defeated.

Now this season with the OL being a dominant piece of the offense, and the OC really dialing everything to his strengths we're seeing a very good QB in Newton. The defense being dominant doesn't hurt.

We saw excellent campaigns out of RG3 and Kap in 2012. Wilson was largely missing from the national media that season. If you would have asked back then who had the raw talent, Wilson wasn't regarded as #1 by most.

To me, it's all about the "team" for young QBs. A guy like Brady or Peyton Manning has been in the league long enough to elevate their game irrespective of the team.

But guys like Russell Wilson aren't there yet, sorry. These things take time....several years at least.

His team has been consistently better than the 49ers, Panthers, Redskins, Colts. Always a top 3 defense, and a running game that's top 5. None of these other teams can say the same thing since 2012.

Your boy is the only young QB that hasn't had real struggles that the media has attributed to the team losing -- so far when the Hawks lose, the blame goes to the defense. It's a great narrative while you can keep it up.

We'll see what happens.

hoxrox

Reaction score
He's played some great football this season, no doubt, but... his defense has also been giving him a lot of short fields to work with as well.

It's like easy mode. They had +20 in turnover differential, and just +34 big play differential on offense, ranked second. Who was first? Seattle with +42.

Cam's aight. Looking forward to seeing him vs Denver's defense.

kearly

Reaction score
By all accounts, Newton is a good guy. And he's a fun player to watch. So what if he isn't a robot like Russell Wilson. I personally love it when a player has personality. Sure, his piss poor poker face is mockable, but in a fun way.

It's amazing to see how effective Newton can be at times, despite being lightyears behind guys like Brady and Rodgers in his development.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
NINEster":1mc19g0y said:
Uncle Si":1mc19g0y said:

Face it, it's true.

The thread in which you are posting was set up to give him props...

and shocker that fans on a message board for their favorite team aren't always objective. Makes me laugh when others try and point that out as some "gotcha" moment

AbsolutNET

Reaction score
I work with a guy from NC and he says the sentiment in Charlotte is basically like everyone says in this thread. "He isn't doing anything wrong, he isn't hurting anyone, but Cam, lets turn it down a bit. You're at a 10, how about you dial it down to a 7?" And as for Cam pouting and not being likable on the field, I agree, but what about Peyton is likable on the field? I've never seen another QB look at his receiver after a bad throw and gesture that he made the wrong cut so often.

I hope they beat Denver because I like how they built their team. A lot like the Hawks did, but with an OL. They aren't leaning on FA like Denver is and built through the draft and have steadily improved and have absolutely crushed their way through the season.