Rams just traded with Titans for #1 overall

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
This is such a bad deal for the Rams unless Wentz becomes an elite QB very quickly.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Welp, Cowherd and Matt Miller (Bleacher Report's RC Cola version of Kiper) both reporting the Rams made this move for Jared Goff, NOT Carson Wentz

[tweet]https://twitter.com/ColinCowherd/status/720641027996913664[/tweet]

Mtjhoyas

Reaction score
I admire the Rams for being bold, but am thankful they are stupid.

This is a horrendous move and I like both Goff and Wentz. Odds are, they won't become superstars and will certainly struggle for the first year or 2 in the NFL. At this point, guys like Aaron Donald will be facing FA or a massive pay raise.

I am in agreement that this is for Goff. I like Wentz, but to think he will go from FCS to facing AZ and SEA 4 times a year...that's big trouble, especially for a guy who holds the ball for a long time.

JSeahawks

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":3qj1dh82 said:
Welp, Cowherd and Matt Miller (Bleacher Report's RC Cola version of Kiper) both reporting the Rams made this move for Jared Goff, NOT Carson Wentz

[tweet]https://twitter.com/ColinCowherd/status/720641027996913664[/tweet]

That would be awesome. Average at best nfl qb.

cheese22

Reaction score
I'm a little concerned by the Titans plans for their 3 second round picks. Experts say they need to protect Mariota and that could mean OL in the second, especially if they don't get their LT in the first. That could mean they target a couple of the guys we talk about a lot on here. Just a small concern.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
McGruff":2xphd25x said:
seatownlowdown":2xphd25x said:
TeamoftheCentury":2xphd25x said:
Titans receive:
1st - 15th overall
2nd - 43rd
2nd - 45th
3rd - 76th
1st - 2017
3rd - 2017

Rams receive:
1st overall 2016
4th - 113th
6th - 177th

wow, titans possibly with the heist of the decade. its atleast close to what the rams did to the skins in the 2012 draft:

Redskins receive:
2012 first-rounder (No. 2: QB Robert Griffin III)

Rams receive:
2012 first-rounder
2012 second-rounder
2013 first-rounder
2014 first-rounder

good job titans :p, looks like your gm found a sucker for the "kings ransom" after all

That's why I am thinking that as much as the Titans got it wasn't enough. The Rams got more for moving down 4 spots than the Titans got for moving down 15. 15 is a long fall.

I think this is going to be one of those trades that is bad for both teams.

Actually the RG3 trade is a good metric. Because St Louis traded down again into that range. Ultimately, it worked out as follows:

Rams give: #2

Rams get:

2012: #14 (2nd trade back)
2012: #39
2012: #45 (2nd trade back)
2013: 1st round
2014: 1st round

Basically instead of a 1st round pick 2 years down the road, they opted for a same year 3rd round pick and a next year 3rd round pick. That value is pretty close to similar.

In all, the two trades are incredibly close in terms of potential value.

chris98251

Reaction score
I think it is Goff, they want a local hero to start the franchise off in L.A. Sell tickets and jerseys etc, One thing it looks like, every few years someone sheers the Rams for Fleece.

Atradees

Reaction score
Maybe the Seahawks can find away into the titans haul and benefit from this trade.

The Rams............Jeff Fischer is cursed. Ballsy move though.

kearly

Reaction score
Wentz's hype has been spinning out of control ever since the combine and then picked up even more after his pro-day. He blew past Jared Goff as the top QB a long time ago. Unless the ghost of Al Davis possessed Les Snead, there's no way the Rams would have given up this much for a non-QB.

Wentz is a respectable QB prospect, he compares pretty well to Blake Bortles or a poor man's Andrew Luck. I don't know if he justifies the price in a vacuum, but the Rams needed a QB a lot more than they needed random talent. I can't really bash this trade without knowing how good the 2017 and 2018 QB classes are. If they aren't that great, then this is a solid trade for the Rams.

It's pretty funny how the two most QB desperate teams in the NFL both signed low end QBs to $7m APY deals and called them the starters in FA (RG3 and Keenum). The 2012 Matt Flynn signing and subsequent drafting of Russell Wilson seems to have left an impression on the league.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
Hypothetically, if you could pull the trigger, would, you guys trade our 2017 1st rounder and #56, #124 for the Titans #43 and #45 picks.

Would give the Seahawks 5 picks in the first 100 with 4 picks through round 5-7.

Depending how the board falls, Seahawks could trade down to add more picks between 4-7.

Example, trade #26 to low #30s add a high 4th rounder.

Trade one of those mid 2s into the late 2nd and add a late 4th rounder.

Trade 91 into the early 4th round and a 7th and add a high 5th and 6th pick.

In this scenario, Seahawks would leave this draft with 12 players grabbing as many must have players not in the top 30-35 picks they can get thier hands on.

I just feel the way our roster is right now, not necessarily depleted but definately more open competition this year plus lack of depth in the trenches and how many draftable players JS has on his board this would be the draft to add players to build for the future and bulk up the roster with potential talent.

poplarbluffman

Reaction score
Rams lost Laurenaitis, Chris Long, Cook, McCleod, Fairley, Jenkins and signed zero new starters in free agency and basically traded away all their premium 2016 draft picks

you guys are lucky they play in your division

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Pandion Haliaetus":3eczq84o said:
Hypothetically, if you could pull the trigger, would, you guys trade our 2017 1st rounder and #56, #124 for the Titans #43 and #45 picks.

Would give the Seahawks 5 picks in the first 100 with 4 picks through round 5-7.

Depending how the board falls, Seahawks could trade down to add more picks between 4-7.

In this scenario, Seahawks would leave this draft with 12 players grabbing as many must have players not in the top 30-35 picks they can get thier hands on.

I just feel the way our roster is right now, not necessarily depleted but definately more open competition this year plus lack of depth in the trenches and how many draftable players JS has on his board this would be the draft to add players to build for the future and bulk up the roster with potential talent.

This is a move that'd have to be done on Day 2 of the draft.. there's no way I'd pull the trigger on it now without knowing who has fallen to 43. But if for some reason some quality OL and DL have fallen, then yeah I would consider it.

I doubt the Titans go for it though. They did this move because they need a lot of players. Even though they'd have 3 1's in 2017 with such a deal, I think they see a division that is ripe for the taking and have a young QB to build around, a RB that had a lot of success before going to Philadelphia, and a couple of nice young WR's. It may sound crazy, but a really good draft for the Titans could put them in the mix of the division title.

DTexHawk

Reaction score
JSeahawks":233wvgqa said:
Seems like a good time to remind everybody we got our hof qb for a 3rd round pick.

But we all know that doesn't happen very often.

You have to have a good QB to be a winning team in this league. Even though you likely have a 50% chance of that happening with a first round pick, that may be worth the risk. Picking a QB in rounds 2 and later has about a 5% chance of working out.

https://tartansportsanalytics.com/2016/03/30/maximizing-draft-value-by-position/

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":22dh6kow said:
Pandion Haliaetus":22dh6kow said:

This is a move that'd have to be done on Day 2 of the draft.. there's no way I'd pull the trigger on it now without knowing who has fallen to 43. But if for some reason some quality OL and DL have fallen, then yeah I would consider it.

I doubt the Titans go for it though. They did this move because they need a lot of players. Even though they'd have 3 1's in 2017 with such a deal, I think they see a division that is ripe for the taking and have a young QB to build around, a RB that had a lot of success before going to Philadelphia, and a couple of nice young WR's. It may sound crazy, but a really good draft for the Titans could put them in the mix of the division title.

Good points. Imo, it would appeal to the Titans only because they wouldnt be losing selections just position this year but add another 2017 1st round pick.

And with that much capitol especially if you have a young roster that lacks talent. You do build through the draft... And if they play thier cards right as dealers they could easily walk away with 10-12 players every draft for the next 3-4 years with half of those players in the top 100 or so players.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
This is a very expensive new to the market PR move by the Rams and one which is not certain of a positive outcome for them. McG above spoke about mediocre QBs and neither Wentz or Goff are sure thing candidates. Both may be better candidates than the guys the Rams have there already but playing either early won't hurt Seatlle.

I also agree with McG that Tenn didn't get as much for this pick as the Rams got when they robbed Washington for RG3. For them For Seattle however, this can only help the team as a divisional rival will be without a large number of early draft picks for the next 2 seasons and will have a big 1st Rd contract to pay to their QB of choice. As well Tenn is well placed to consider trades to acquire targeted players and has picks they possibly could trade with the Hawks to allow Seattle to move out of the 1st or down or even up in the 2nd or in later rounds. Finally as far as helping Seattle this means the market for the OT's has softened slightly and the chances of one of the top players or one of the TEF candidates being more certain for the Hawks.

I could see Tenn now being 'in' on Jaylon Smith with one of their 2nds to allow them to redshirt him and to be an active trade candidate for another of their other 2-2nds or one of their 2-3rds. For sure this trade will cause a massive reformulation of most team's draft boards, while offering much room for trade considerations. I'm sure those extra 2- 2nds and two 3rds are now the subject of much consideration by JS. This certainly changes things significantly.

two dog

Reaction score
Depending on how things fall on draft day, the Titans are in a position to trade a significant
portion of that bounty back and still end up with Tunsil. It wouldn't be too bad to end up with
the Rams ist and 3rd next year and get the player this year you wanted all along.

I don't expect that they will do such a trade. The spectre of 6 of the top 76 players eclipses
most other possibilities. Talent ledges aside, that's a significant portion of the top players in
this year's draft.

The Rams move, however logically spun, still seems to me to be one of semi-desperation.
The Titans shaded them badly in this deal. Amazingly, just a few years ago the Rams were
the brigands preying on another team's desperation.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
two dog":2ph2o9zw said:
Depending on how things fall on draft day, the Titans are in a position to trade a significant
portion of that bounty back and still end up with Tunsil. It wouldn't be too bad to end up with
the Rams ist and 3rd next year and get the player this year you wanted all along.

I don't expect that they will do such a trade. The spectre of 6 of the top 76 players eclipses
most other possibilities. Talent ledges aside, that's a significant portion of the top players in
this year's draft.

The Rams move, however logically spun, still seems to me to be one of semi-desperation.
The Titans shaded them badly in this deal. Amazingly, just a few years ago the Rams were
the brigands preying on another team's desperation.

Yeah I don't see the Titans making a trade back up into the Top 5 to land Tunsil. Baltimore would take him in a heartbeat at 6 and the Chargers badly need OL help so he's a real option at 3 as well.

But I'm guessing the Titans didn't see that big a gap in talent between a Tunsil and a Conklin/Stanley at 15 while racking up other picks on Day 2 to fill in their roster. They have a lot of needs but at the same time, they have the right pieces in place at the offensive skill positions to where a good draft can put them in contention in a really weak AFC South... or at the least be real close in 2017 when they will be armed with two first round picks in a much deeper draft.

kearly

Reaction score
You wonder how many times the Rams contemplated a move like this for a QB the past few years, but didn't pull the trigger out of fears that it could complicate their escape from St. Louis.

The timing of this splash for a QB is hardly a surprise.

McGruff

Reaction score
kearly":2qt6619o said:
You wonder how many times the Rams contemplated a move like this for a QB the past few years, but didn't pull the trigger out of fears that it could complicate their escape from St. Louis.

Are you saying that Nick Foles and Case Keenum are their Johann Petro and Robert Swift?

kearly

Reaction score
Hearing rumors for both Goff and Wentz makes this a fun guessing game. I hope they keep us in suspense all the way to the draft.

Wentz is more hyped, but Goff is closer to the established profile of guys that Fisher has pursued in St. Louis: Sam Bradford, Austin Davis, Case Keenum, Nick Foles. Game manager types who aren't "winners." Fisher hasn't taken a toolsy project since Vince Young, and I would imagine the Vince Young experience left a lasting impression on Fisher.

McGruff":yd8ex6j6 said:
kearly":yd8ex6j6 said:

Are you saying that Nick Foles and Case Keenum are their Johann Petro and Robert Swift?

Pretty much.