Rams just traded with Titans for #1 overall

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
kearly":1e4hzddw said:
Hearing rumors for both Goff and Wentz makes this a fun guessing game. I hope they keep us in suspense all the way to the draft.

Wentz is more hyped, but Goff is closer to the establish profile of guys that Fisher has pursued in St. Louis: Sam Bradford, Austin Davis, Case Keenum, Nick Foles. Game manager types who aren't "winners." Fisher hasn't taken a toolsy project since Vince Young, and I would imagine the Vince Young experience left a lasting impression on Fisher.

McGruff":1e4hzddw said:
kearly":1e4hzddw said:
You wonder how many times the Rams contemplated a move like this for a QB the past few years, but didn't pull the trigger out of fears that it could complicate their escape from St. Louis.

The timing of this splash for a QB is hardly a surprise.

Are you saying that Nick Foles and Case Keenum are their Johann Petro and Robert Swift?

Yup pretty much.

Fisher didn't even want to take Vince Young. The owner made that pick.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
I predict that the California boy Goff is the QB traded for by LA. Nice photogenic face for the franchise in LA, seems to me to be a clear PR move to sell to their marketplace.

Think as others do that this could be a trade that doesn't work out for either side. The Rams lose 3 picks in top 3 three rounds of which 2 are 2nd rd. picks. & given their personnel losses this FA period they paid a heavy price for their QB. We'll see what Tenn does with their haul of early picks as LA sure didn't score big with the booty they conned out of Washington.

Tenn. will be easier to trade with than LA as they won't be trading with a divisional competitor.

penihawk

Reaction score
Pandion Haliaetus":1fb5x7ln said:
Hypothetically, if you could pull the trigger, would, you guys trade our 2017 1st rounder and #56, #124 for the Titans #43 and #45 picks.

Would give the Seahawks 5 picks in the first 100 with 4 picks through round 5-7.

Depending how the board falls, Seahawks could trade down to add more picks between 4-7.

Example, trade #26 to low #30s add a high 4th rounder.

Trade one of those mid 2s into the late 2nd and add a late 4th rounder.

Trade 91 into the early 4th round and a 7th and add a high 5th and 6th pick.

In this scenario, Seahawks would leave this draft with 12 players grabbing as many must have players not in the top 30-35 picks they can get thier hands on.

Titans gm Robinson was trained in New England so I expect them to parlay picks out over 3 or 4 years much like the patriots did a few years back. I would consider that if they have 8 or 10 guys identified in the top 100 they really want over prospects next year.
I just feel the way our roster is right now, not necessarily depleted but definately more open competition this year plus lack of depth in the trenches and how many draftable players JS has on his board this would be the draft to add players to build for the future and bulk up the roster with potential talent.

CPHawk

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":39dhet6t said:
Lots of reports saying the Rams made this move to take Carson Wentz.

That's a lot to give up for him. Good job Rams!

Just today reports came out how Wentz had 3-4 concussions in HS. This could very easily be Bradford 2.0.

Hawkscanner

Reaction score
I'm a bit late to the party, but I didn't want to let this event pass without a comment on just how remarkable a deal this truly is. It's nothing short of historic, actually.

Several weeks ago, Kearly began a "If you had the #1 Pick, what would you do?" thread ... and several posters said that they would look to trade it. While I completely agreed with that sentiment, I also pointed out that I believed that it would be highly unlikely that the Titans would be successful in doing so. Why did I say that?

Well -- the last time that the #1 pick was traded prior to yesterday was in 2004 (12 years ago). The Chargers traded it to the Giants for Eli Manning. The Giants traded the Chargers their #4 Pick (became Phillip Rivers) ... the #65 Pick ... their 1st Round pick in 2005 (#12 overall, which became Shawn Merriman) ... and the #144 pick in 2005.

12 years -- that's a long time. I'm a history teacher by trade, so in the spirit of history let's take a brief tour of the history of #1 Pick trades ...

In 2001 the Chargers traded it to the Falcons for Michael Vick. The Falcons gave up their pick at #5 ... and also traded away their #67 pick ... and their 2nd Round pick in 2002 (#48) to get him.

In 1997 the Jets did successfully trade the #1 overall pick to the Rams who selected Orlando Pace. The Jets not only got the Rams pick at #6 ... they also got the #67 Pick ... the #102 Pick ... and the #207 Pick.

1995 -- the Panthers traded the #1 overall pick to the Bengals. Bengals selected Ki-Jana Carter ... the Panthers got the Bengals pick at #5 ... and also the #36 pick as well.

1991 -- the Patriots traded the #1 overall pick to the Cowboys. The Cowboys selected Russell Maryland. The Patriots got the Cowboys pick at #11 ... and also the #41 pick as well.

1990 -- the Falcons traded the #1 Overall pick to the Colts along with the #83 Pick and a conditional 1991 pick. The Colts selected Jeff George with the #1 Pick. In order to make that deal, they traded away Pro Bowl Tackle Chris Hinton, the #83 Pick, and the #121 Pick.

Those are the deals. Prior to yesterday, it had happened just 6 times over the course of the last 25 years! It should be noted that Jimmy Johnson's trade valuation chart didn't start to become popularized, well known, etc. until the late 1990s or so.

When it's happened, trades like that have usually occurred because (in the mind of the team that's going after the #1 Pick) there is 1 player who is just so far and above the rest -- whose skills just leap off the page and is seen as a can't miss kind of player (usually a QB, ala Michael Vick). Looking at this draft class, I don't know that I can say that. I mean Jared Goff and Carson Wentz are good, but I don't see either one of those guys as being Peyton Manning or Andrew Luck type of #1 Pick talents. Given that reality right there, I highly doubted that Titans would be able to pull it off. Obviously the Rams disagree with me.

So again, history was made yesterday, as this deal marks just the 7th time in the last 26 years that the #1 Pick has been traded. This is a deal that I believe we and NFL pundits will be talking about for years, as looking at deal and what the what the Titans got back in return ... I would argue that this looks like a Herschel Walker type of trade for them. Unbelievable haul of draft capital for the Titans. In judging the deal today, I would say that the Rams just fleeced themselves. Only time will tell if I'm right or they are.

Hawk Finn

Reaction score
Hawkscanner":oeh015hp said:
Well -- the last time that the #1 pick was traded prior to yesterday was in 2004 (12 years ago). The Chargers traded it to the Giants for Eli Manning. The Giants traded the Chargers their #4 Pick (became Phillip Rivers) ... the #65 Pick ... their 1st Round pick in 2005 (#12 overall, which became Shawn Merriman) ... and the #144 pick in 2005.

This technically isn't true, as the Chargers and Giants each had already selected the respective QB's. That said, I appreciate the sentiment of the post.

Thread Killer

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":2yr41ctf said:
This is such a bad deal for the Rams unless Wentz becomes an elite QB very quickly.

I disagree that Wentz has to become an elite QB very quickly. Given that 1/2 the teams in this league lacks an above average starter and has for years, this deal would be a boon for the team if he simply reaches that level.

Thread Killer

Reaction score
poplarbluffman":atu4c79l said:
Rams lost Laurenaitis, Chris Long, Cook, McCleod, Fairley, Jenkins and signed zero new starters in free agency and basically traded away all their premium 2016 draft picks

you guys are lucky they play in your division

Some big names, but the Rams actually cut half those guys.
And if they (Long Laurenaitis, Cook) were playing well they'd probably still be with the team.

Chris Long has missed about 20 games the past 2 seasons and had been outplayed by William Hayes.
Laurenaitis replacement is Alec Olgetree who was playing lights out prior to missing the last 12 games.
Cook didn't pan out via his lack of interest in blocking and clutch drops.

Fairley, a backup, will be on his 3rd team in as many years because he's simply not lived up to the hype.
The team had been looking to replace McCleod the past couple of seasons and now can shift LaMarcus Joyner back there where he belongs.
Jenkins is the big loss here. But, my guess is that they are hoping to offset some of that loss with CB EJ Gaines who played very well as a rookie prior to missing the 2015 season via a training camp injury.

If there was ever a team that could afford to take a risk like this, it was the Rams given all the young talent they have added over the past few years and very favorable cap situation.

xgeoff

Reaction score
I love that the Rams gave up so much for this. They will take Wentz and, at best, there is a 50/50 chance that he will be successful. Frankly I would have probably taken my chances with Christian Hackenberg or Connor Cook.

You look at that ridiculous trade the Redskins made with the Rams to get RGIII. That same draft they got Kirk Cousins. If they had just stayed put that franchise would have been in a much better state.

As it is I think this is going to help the Seahawks, even if Wentz turns out to be decent. Just too much potential talent given up.