Rating Spoon's Debut

Welshers2

Reaction score
I thought it was very mixed rookie debut. He made a couple good tackles and a great pass breakup on a 4th down. At the same time he was beat bad a couple of times. I think it was a mixed bag. Totally to be expected from a guy in his first ever game, and he definetly showed spurts of talent. What do you all think? Does anyone with a more trained eye for secondary play care to chime in?

NoGain

Reaction score
I wrote this in the other thread, but he bit on that flea flicker (rookie mistake), and got a ticky tack penalty, but I LOVE that he covers receivers closely, not content with just keeping them in front of himself. He's a player. You can't look at his college tape and think anything else.

JPatera76

Reaction score
I mean ... him getting "beat" for the TD too... was bs. Reyonds pushed right off him after 5yrds. Shoulda coulda woulda, but overall i think he did a solid job.

pmedic920

Reaction score
For a rookie who basically missed all of training camp and preseason games, other than a bite on a flea flicker, I thought he did well. His speed, instincts and athleticism definitely showed.
I pretty much think this too.

I believe he’s going to be just fine when he get up to speed and in real game shape.

By next season I expect him to be one of the most dominating backs in the league.

Last edited:

Polk738

Reaction score
He had a really good PBU on one of thier TEs, thats been something the DBs have seriously been lacking lately so for a rookie starting his first game to get one, that says a lot.

Scout

Reaction score
I like what I saw of him out there. He isn't afraid of other WRs and he isn't going to surrender easy yards. Refreshing change to watch honestly.

Hawkspeed

Reaction score

m0ng0

Reaction score
Its is first game, i thought he did good, had a real heads up play late... Only going to get better as long as he stays healthy

Optimus25

Reaction score
My only fear is he seems to have ‘heavy feet’ in covering routes that charge him. Same with the flea flicker- feet were too downhill and reflex for recovery to the receiver was really slow. His lateral quickness in covering slants and crossers was clearly terrific. Tackling instinct on point. I’m just afraid he’s not the lockdown type we thought.

nwHawk

Reaction score
The D still got lit up with over 400 yards total offense.
Yea, but that’s a heck of an opposing offensive team. Lions are nothing to sneeze at again this year.

FrodosFinger

Reaction score
I thought he played great tackles well played with aggression. He’s instinctively a great tackler

pmedic920

Reaction score
My only fear is he seems to have ‘heavy feet’ in covering routes that charge him. Same with the flea flicker- feet were too downhill and reflex for recovery to the receiver was really slow. His lateral quickness in covering slants and crossers was clearly terrific. Tackling instinct on point. I’m just afraid he’s not the lockdown type we thought.
Heavy feet, really?

I’ll rewatch when I can but I think he thought the it was a run and was moving towards the ball, then realizes it’s a pass and attempts to get back.
It all looked really quick to me, and “heavy feet” isn’t something that comes to my mind.
I won’t defend getting fooled by the flea flicker but that’s what that play is designed for, and it works a lot of times.

I say the rookie will learn, and it won’t be a problem as he does.

Latest posts