Respect to RW

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
chris98251":138maurp said:
Until that break down injured him, he is also now getting into that point in life where metabolism slows down and he isn't that kid, he is going to put a bit of weight on and start losing that youthful speed and will need to rely on avoidance on his scrambles and getting the ball down field versus the run for a first down.

Go back and watch the play that injured his knee. It was an overload blitz, Wilson scrambled to the right and got hit by a spy linebacker whom the OL was never even supposed to block.

The ankle injury was Gilliam and the pec injury was on Fant, but those weren't serious.

Hawks46

Reaction score
strohmin":237xpb8u said:
Hes been playing bad this whole year. Baldwin, Lockett and Graham just made incredible catches. He is still under throwing and overthrowing balls.

He's been missing people badly this year. I honestly think he's hurt, as he seems to be under throwing all of his deep balls. It's like he can't put his legs into or something. I wouldn't be surprised if he has surgery on that knee this offseason. He doesn't seem to be able to put the ball more than 35-40 yards in the air.

erik2690

Reaction score
semiahmoo":1h0kzovg said:
bigskydoc":1h0kzovg said:
Diezel Dawg":1h0kzovg said:
Put Tom Brady behind this line and see how long he lasts.

He would have had less than half the number of sacks that Russ took this year.

Great comment and absolutely correct.

The biggest difference is Brady doesn't hold onto the ball. Drop back, throw. Drop back, throw. Everything is timed to near-perfection play after play, game after game, season after season.

RW is not close to having developed that kind of timing. He proved himself a great scrambler early on, and the coaching staff seems to have accepted they could get away with a crappy O-Line due to those scrambling abilities, and the team overall has suffered greatly for that decision.

And the one to suffer the most is Russel Wilson. The guy is spooked in the pocket these days, and I don't blame him.

Better use of Graham could have greatly reduced the stress and improved RW's timing throws. Quick out routes with big Jimmy cutting across the middle for 8-10 yard gains.

As I outlined yesterday, when JG is given a chance, the Hawks win. When Graham is for whatever odd reason frozen out of the offense, the Hawks lose:

Are we just ignoring facts now? Wilson has a faster "time to throw" than Brady this year. Meaning snap to release. Your argument seems to be based on assumption, not data.

"He would have had less than half the number of sacks that Russ took this year."

That seems like hyperbole. It's 15 vs 40 now, but Brady played 4 less games and Wilson was behind the worse line. I don't know how you figure so conclusively that 4 more games + the worse line wouldn't add 5 sacks.

erik2690

Reaction score
semiahmoo":1cuqgrhp said:
His conjecture that Tom Brady would get rid of the ball much quicker than RW and thus acquire far fewer sacks is an astute observation based upon the styles of both men and the actual time to throw and time to sack stats that were available a few years back.

But why in the world would you need stats from years back to debate this year? Wilson is faster than Brady in time to throw this year. Wilson is 12th in time to throw (higher by a lot then other years) and 2.58 seconds as his current time to throw is certainly fastest of his career. So the assumption the premise is based on doesn't hold a ton of water. I mean it's possible, but "less than half" the sacks isn't based on much evidence here. And I would say the evidence available argues otherwise.

erik2690

Reaction score
semiahmoo":3w0f09o8 said:
RW holds the ball longer than Brady. What is remarkable is that despite his higher % of throw-a-ways, Brady is also among the higher pass completion guys in the league, which is what makes him so damn good.

RW will never be that kind of QB, but he could be a very good one if given a little more time in the pocket which in turn would do wonders for his confidence which has been clearly shaken this season.

Russell Wilson this year has a time to throw of 2.58, Brady is at 2.60. Are you referring to more than this season? B/c this year Wilson does not hold the ball longer. Also Wilson is completing 65% this year, Brady is at 66.7%. Not a huge gap.

Ozzy

Reaction score
Some of the arguments in this thread are truly terrible.

Scorpion05

Reaction score
flmmkrz":25ysjifd said:
Scorpion05":25ysjifd said:
scutterhawk":25ysjifd said:
bigskydoc":25ysjifd said:
He would have had less than half the number of sacks that Russ took this year.

You have no proof of that, IF he played behind Wilson's 'Sieve of an O-Line, he would have LIKELY thrown the ball away a LOT more often, and he would still have been HIT & or HURRIED a lot more to boot.
Tom Brady is a good Quarterback, maybe one of the best ever to play the game, but he still makes mistakes, and he still loses games, in fact, he just lost to the Seahawks a few weeks back in HIS HOME stadium.

You seriously need to watch some actual tape of Tom Brady, not just highlights. I watch Jets/Seahawks games because I live in NYC. The guy has all day to throw. When Pats fans complain about his O-line, it's because he's getting pressure that Russell Wilson would consider to be great protection. This whole quick release argument is hyperbole, and even when he does it is largely based on having a great offensive line.

Dallas plays like New England using the short passing game, because they can. Ironically you NEED a great o-line for a short quick passing game. If it was this simplistic everyone would do it

yeah bro you're the only guy with a tv and an nfl package that sits and watches anybody other than the hawks in here while the rest of us just catch sports center. You seriously need to understand what you are watching rather than just blankly staring at the screen and thinking well he's not getting touched so that means he's got all day, you might want to take into account why he's not getting touched and the part he plays in that. During the superbowl victory vs us he averaged just a touch over 2 seconds from snap to release. There was a reason he was picking us apart and we weren't getting him on his ass. He was quick, decisive and accurate. A deadly combination and that is what makes him great. Last year only Andy Dalton had a quicker release league wide and by .04 seconds. From snap to release 2.24 seconds. If he is taking all day based on your less than astute observations why is it not translating to the actual amount of time he's holding on to the ball, why was he the 2nd quickest to get the ball out of his hands if there was nobody near him most of the time. It makes no sense, a qb isn't rushing the ball out of his hands unless he has to or there is an obvious opening and he isn't finding an obvious opening on every snap...Truth is his line is average at best, Dallas has an outstanding line but NE is just a solid line middle of the pack that looks above average because their qb gets the ball out asap. That is just fact. There is no hyperbole about his release, the numbers just say otherwise, so i'm not sure what you're watching.

I'm not the only guy with a tv but yes, I've probably seen more Tom Brady games than most people on the west coast

Others have already put up the numbers. There's facts and then there's conjecture. Tom Brady has plenty of time to throw. The short passing game works because he's not predictable. In the Super Bowl against us, he used the short passing game but there was ALWAYS the threat of the long ball. Our defense had to respect that. The Patriots are less predictable because they have a great O-line

You are in fact, completely ignoring the games when Tom Brady has played like garbage. And that is precisely because he was under pressure constantly. And when Brady is under pressure he whines like a little brat. The Chiefs and a couple of Jets games from a few years come to mind. Otherwise he has all day to throw.

randomation

Reaction score
The super bowl is actually another example of that. When we had pressure on Brady we were winning by a significant margin when we started having injuries and losing pressure he just started abusing us.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
It's rare to see respect for Russ these days, for whatever reason. Makes no sense, but oh well.
He's a damn good quarterback, and what he's getting done behind this pathetic O Line is impressive.
He showed us on Saturday that it is NEVER over w/him behind center. Unfortunately, the D pooped the bed :(