Schottenheimer a breath of fresh air (Greg Bell)

fenderbender123

Reaction score
brimsalabim":1jwm5yo8 said:
Seafan":1jwm5yo8 said:
I see Shotty as someone who is willing to tell Pete the truth instead of being a yes man like Bevell.
I believe you are ignoring a major point from the article. The previous system functioned as Pete wanted to. Pete wanted yes men. It’s Pete that must change here.

Bevell and Cable were fired. If those were the kinds of coaches he wanted, wouldn't he have kept them?

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
bigskydoc":1vjf5igg said:
Hopefully this "other 30%" consists of some short route, quick blitz beater, and hot route/ dump off concepts.
Stop! You're getting me all hot and bothered at the thought of seeing our offense run those kinds of plays. ;)

:179417:

LickMyNuts

Reaction score
The middle of our offensive line goes 6’5” 6’6” 6’5”

How exactly are those quick passes going to go?

OP
OP
J

Jville

Reaction score
getnasty":3uq1t63g said:
The biggest problem is our OL sucks.

That don't make no sense. Mike Solari is in the early stages of looking at players and putting a roster together.

Seymour

Reaction score
getnasty":co1203ty said:
The biggest problem was Cable sucks.

FTFY.

I am giving the benefit of the doubt to Solari, Shotty and Pete......for now.

Smellyman

Reaction score
HawkNuts":3uaxwuga said:

I guess all QBs need to be 6'8 at least

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
Seymour":1glb96hq said:
Pete said he had to learn our playbook rather than the entire team learn his, and it was 70% the same (with minor tweaks) and 30% would be different per Shotty.

Edit...Woops....looks like OP beat me to it.

This is somewhat worrisome to me. Does this mean we're going to run the same ZBS offense instead of a power running game? I wish Pete would just hand the reigns over when it comes to the offense and just concentrate on the defense.

adeltaY

Reaction score
HawkNuts":h5fdmqee said:

Riiiiight. So New Orleans must struggle with quick passes as well?

Seymour

Reaction score
pittpnthrs":136zjg9k said:
Seymour":136zjg9k said:
Pete said he had to learn our playbook rather than the entire team learn his, and it was 70% the same (with minor tweaks) and 30% would be different per Shotty.

Edit...Woops....looks like OP beat me to it.

This is somewhat worrisome to me. Does this mean we're going to run the same ZBS offense instead of a power running game? I wish Pete would just hand the reigns over when it comes to the offense and just concentrate on the defense.

No we are NOT running the same ZBS. The play call language and basics mostly stay the same, but individual assignments and details related to technique will be all Shotty's to coach up. Pete is not involving Cable (now Solari), or as I understand himself either in actual game planning either.

Fade

Reaction score
Schotty isn't a short passing guy. His passing offense is Coryell which is a deep vertical, stretch the field type passing game.

"Overall, the goal of the Coryell offense is to have at least two downfield, fast wide receivers who adjust to the deep pass very well, combined with a sturdy pocket quarterback with a strong arm. The Coryell offense uses three key weapons. The first is a strong inside running game, the second is its ability to strike deep with two or more receivers on any play, and the third is to not only use those two attacks in cooperation with each other, but to include a great deal of mid-range passing to a TE, WR, or back."
via wikipedia

Pete wants to have an aggressive running game, and take deep shots off of play action. It may sound eerily familiar to what Cable & Bevell were rolling out there every week, but it should be a lot different.

Under Schotty it should have a lot more nuance to everything, formations, routes, motions, and the running game. Cable as the run game coordinator only had about 4 running plays he would call. It made them just way too easy to prepare for. Solari, particularly with what he did down in SF during the Harbaugh years, blended with what Schotty accomplished with the Jets should have Seattle's run game becoming one of the hardest to prepare for.

The key is going to be tempo. They are going to have to get in-n-out of the huddle quickly and up to the line of scrimmage, due to all the motions & shifts that they will be employing. I want to see what the mid-range passing looks like.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Fade":1fz5zuw3 said:
Cable as the run game coordinator only had about 4 running plays he would call. It made them just way too easy to prepare for.
This is a large part of why the argument that "the players just need to execute" was always a stupid one by people around here. Your job of execution is immensely harder if the opposing defense knows what you're doing most of the time, and even when they don't, most of those other times there are very limited alternatives. We did a fine job of putting our offense in a position to fail before the first quarter ever started, for friggin' years.

sdog1981

Reaction score
If what people are reporting is true. Then Pete has been coaching with one hand behind his back since he fired Bates. Pete is awesome with finding the best way to use a player and finding ways to get a defense to work. He is very bad at supervising his coaches or figuring out what the hell is wrong with his offense. Belichick had the same problem when he was starting out, it was not until he just found a guy like McDaniels that his teams started to win 12 games every year. Pete needs to find his Chow/McDaniels and get out of the way of the offensive coaching staff.

chris98251

Reaction score
You can change blocking assignments and how we are layered in our routes but run the same basic plays that just will look different to the defense and are easier to block for our line. We did some of that at the end of 2015, we had Reese as a fullback that gave us a whole level of difference, we did a Power ZBS so to speak as well so our lineman had less thinking and more pounding.

We decided to fix what had worked again in 2016.

LickMyNuts

Reaction score
adeltaY":2kqvv6pp said:
HawkNuts":2kqvv6pp said:

Riiiiight. So New Orleans must struggle with quick passes as well?

Weeeelll. NO uses there rb’s to bail out Drew Brees. Also other than height DB and RW are not that similar as QB’s.

Also NO has Sean Payton. So there’s that.

Atradees

Reaction score
my greatest hope is a serviceable line. Wilson is such a great player. i dont see how focusing on the minutia is actually gonna work. it does or it doesn't.

OkieHawk

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":918i6uez said:
It almost doesn't even matter how much our playbook changes, because the big problem wasn't the playbook; it was how and when it was used that was the huge issue.

This. There was hardly any change when things weren't working. Couple that with conservative play calling when we had a slight lead was making games hard to watch.

kf3339

Reaction score
For me just having an OC that actually knows how to not just prepare a game plan, but also knows how to make in-game adjustments is going to be a major change in our offense. Add to that more creativity and it should help with scoring more points. Hopefully, that will include scoring in the first half of the games. That would be a start.

getnasty

Reaction score
Jville":2q3du5ry said:
getnasty":2q3du5ry said:

That don't make no sense. Mike Solari is in the early stages of looking at players and putting a roster together.

Sorry I meant our biggest problem the last few years has been the OL and not Bevell. Unlike Shotty I hace much more confidence in Solari getting things figured out.

toffee

Reaction score
getnasty":22t2hroe said:
Jville":22t2hroe said:
getnasty":22t2hroe said:

Sorry I meant our biggest problem the last few years has been the OL and not Bevell. Unlike Shotty I hace much more confidence in Solari getting things figured out.

Solari’s track record vs cable’s? Anyone got stats or insights?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk