Schottenheimer a breath of fresh air (Greg Bell)

kf3339

Reaction score
GeekHawk":16ns848j said:
I'm pretty sure no pro-bowl-level tackles got worse over the course of a single season under Solari.

:ditto:

scutterhawk

Reaction score
fenderbender123":3dd778j7 said:
brimsalabim":3dd778j7 said:
Seafan":3dd778j7 said:
I see Shotty as someone who is willing to tell Pete the truth instead of being a yes man like Bevell.
I believe you are ignoring a major point from the article. The previous system functioned as Pete wanted to. Pete wanted yes men. It’s Pete that must change here.

Bevell and Cable were fired. If those were the kinds of coaches he wanted, wouldn't he have kept them?
^ This ^

bigskydoc

Reaction score
Fade":1zzetof7 said:
Schotty isn't a short passing guy. His passing offense is Coryell which is a deep vertical, stretch the field type passing game.

I realize that, and I didn't mean to suggest otherwise. I am just hoping Schotty adds in some of those shorter range, blitz beater option concepts that were missing under Bevel. Like Roland mentioned, the parts of Bevel's offense, that are similar to the Coryell offense, weren't the problem. It was a lack of situational awareness, and, I think, the lack of any real hot route options that did in CaBevel's scheme. I think the actual playbook is going to look remarkably similar, with it's rudimentary vertical routes, because that's what Pete wants. Setting up the deep, play action pass, with a running game that has to be respected.

I would be really interested to see Fant in there as a receiving option, but he may have put on too much weight for it at this point.

sc85sis

Reaction score
sdog1981":3taz5dd0 said:
If what people are reporting is true. Then Pete has been coaching with one hand behind his back since he fired Bates. Pete is awesome with finding the best way to use a player and finding ways to get a defense to work. He is very bad at supervising his coaches or figuring out what the hell is wrong with his offense. Belichick had the same problem when he was starting out, it was not until he just found a guy like McDaniels that his teams started to win 12 games every year. Pete needs to find his Chow/McDaniels and get out of the way of the offensive coaching staff.
Except Pete was the one who changed the offense at USC from Norm’s offense (Pete’s first year) to what it became (second year on). Norm has confirmed this.

Pete is also the one who had run option plays added to the Hawks’ after Russell was drafted.

Yes he’s a defensive guy. That doesn’t mean he’s some incompetent idiot where offense is concerned.

GeekHawk

Reaction score
I'm hoping Schotty's playbook doesn't contain pass plays where 2 receivers converge on a single spot way downfield accompanied by 3 or 4 D-backs. That'd be nice. For a change.

sdog1981

Reaction score
sc85sis":211jdsvc said:
Pete is also the one who had run option plays added to the Hawks’ after Russell was drafted.

Yes he’s a defensive guy. That doesn’t mean he’s some incompetent idiot where offense is concerned.

You are going to need to provide some serious linkage to prove any of that. Because if he was that much of an offensive guru he would have cleaned house after the 2016 season.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
GeekHawk":19yi5d5h said:
I'm hoping Schotty's playbook doesn't contain pass plays where 2 receivers converge on a single spot way downfield accompanied by 3 or 4 D-backs. That'd be nice. For a change.
Let’s hope he took the failed bubble screen and the ever craptastic 3rd and long draw play out of the playbook.

GeekHawk

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":3orxqeuj said:
GeekHawk":3orxqeuj said:
Let’s hope he took the failed bubble screen and the ever craptastic 3rd and long draw play out of the playbook.

There's no hope of getting rid of the 3rd and long draw play - even Holmgren had that. After all, nobody would ever expect it. :roll:

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
A couple things I'm hoping for. IF the running game is working, don't get cute and change it.
And if you get in the red zone, ditto, don't get cute. Keep doing WHAT IS WORKING.

bigskydoc

Reaction score
Yes. I remember writing a critique of Bevel a while ago that went something like this.

An offensive game plan starts with a series of scripted plays to identify a weakness in the opposing defense. When you find a weakness, you pick at it again, and again, and again, and again until the defense has to adjust to stop the bleeding. When they adjust, it will open a different weakness, and it is usually a weakness that is even bigger than the first.

Bevel seemed to use the opening series to identify a weakness in the opposing defense. He would then put that weakness in his back pocket for later use, "when he really needed it." Most of the time, when he got to the point that he really needed it, and pulled it out of his back pocket, it was too late.

chris98251

Reaction score
bigskydoc":1r297r3e said:
Yes. I remember writing a critique of Bevel a while ago that went something like this.

An offensive game plan starts with a series of scripted plays to identify a weakness in the opposing defense. When you find a weakness, you pick at it again, and again, and again, and again until the defense has to adjust to stop the bleeding. When they adjust, it will open a different weakness, and it is usually a weakness that is even bigger than the first.

Bevel seemed to use the opening series to identify a weakness in the opposing defense. He would then put that weakness in his back pocket for later use, "when he really needed it." Most of the time, when he got to the point that he really needed it, and pulled it out of his back pocket, it was too late.

Well Bevells scripted plays went from first snap to last play of the second quarter is another problem.

Seymour

Reaction score
chris98251":3hg4gxkg said:
bigskydoc":3hg4gxkg said:

Well Bevells scripted plays went from first snap to last play of the second quarter is another problem.

About right. 15 plays or (5) 3 and outs.... :pukeface:

adeltaY

Reaction score
The_Z_Man":3anchj1j said:
bigskydoc":3anchj1j said:
Roland beat me to it. It wasn't the playbook, it was how it was used.

Hopefully this "other 30%" consists of some short route, quick blitz beater, and hot route/ dump off concepts.

Literally everything in the offense, from the running game to the long developing routes, suffered from opposing defenses never having to worry about these types of attacks. Except for that one, brief, record setting period of time, in 2015, where Bevel pulled his head out of Cable's :141847_bnono: and called a balanced, rapid-fire attack

We just drafted a running back who's got Marshall Faulk level receiving ability, so talk about dump off passes, that right there will be a MAJOR asset.

Of course some fans just want to whine about him not being a world class blocker right out of the gate. :p

I mean, pass blocking is SUPER important on third down for RBs. Warren Sharp put out some stats showing that we were deadly efficient throwing to RBs not on third down, but first and second, yet we did it around 19 times or some crazy small number last season.

I'd like to see that added to the game plan. For whatever reason it wasn't emphasised enough with Bev and Cable.

adeltaY

Reaction score
HawkNuts":30jylwyk said:
adeltaY":30jylwyk said:
HawkNuts":30jylwyk said:
The middle of our offensive line goes 6’5” 6’6” 6’5”

How exactly are those quick passes going to go?

Riiiiight. So New Orleans must struggle with quick passes as well?

Weeeelll. NO uses there rb’s to bail out Drew Brees. Also other than height DB and RW are not that similar as QB’s.

Also NO has Sean Payton. So there’s that.

Agree with all your points. Doesn't address your original post which implied we can't do quick passes because our interior line is too tall?

chris98251

Reaction score
Bevell could not get a screen play set up that didn't have Bubble attached to it.

Having a line that can act like they are pass blocking and then drop the block and go form a wall for our running back releasing into the flat for a dump off didn't happen, when tried it was a mess.

olyfan63

Reaction score
brimsalabim":2zuvxnfr said:
Seafan":2zuvxnfr said:
I see Shotty as someone who is willing to tell Pete the truth instead of being a yes man like Bevell.
I believe you are ignoring a major point from the article. The previous system functioned as Pete wanted to. Pete wanted yes men. It’s Pete that must change here.

Yup, it was Pete who created the two-headed CaBevell monster.
Little did he realize what he was modeling this creation after.

hawknation2018

Reaction score
The phrase I hope will describe the new offensive system is "hit them in the mouth."

original poster

Reaction score
hawknation2018":2t73s79j said:
The phrase I hope will describe the new offensive system is "hit them in the mouth."

This X1000.

Let's get that nasty reputation back. I don't care what anyone says, even professional football players will be scared to play the bullies.