Seahawks asking for a 1st from the Cowboys for Earl

original poster

Reaction score
toffee":bvjndvdm said:
original poster":bvjndvdm said:
I'm sure I speak in the minority crowd here but I'd honestly take a 2nd or even a 3rd for him at this point.

He's not getting a new deal here, that's a given. So a hold out is very possible, after that? Free agency for a 4th round comp pick (assuming they don't go heavy in free agency next year)? Doesn't sound ideal does it.

If he didn't hold out I'd be all for letting him play next year and even tagging him in 2019, although it doesn't see a very 'Seahawky' thing to do under this front office. I'd probably prefer to keep him next year rather than getting a 2nd or a 3rd on the basis that he doesn't hold out.

But Earl for half a season? That doesn't appeal to me in the slightest hence taking whatever you can get.

May be Cleveland may want him more?

I'd love #33 from them then trade #18 for #35 and #64 + change.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
I'd use thar #33 on Taven Bryan probably. Outside of Vea, he's the only inside guy who regularly shows elite and raw explosion and power. He might need a little work to become what he's capable of, but when you see that dude attack and blast any OL of any type...it's a good thing to watch.

Edit: Eh, Bryan is probably gone by then. Use 18 to trade back ro 24 and then take him maybe? Dunno...

toffee

Reaction score
original poster":nw5o13bt said:
toffee":nw5o13bt said:
original poster":nw5o13bt said:
I'm sure I speak in the minority crowd here but I'd honestly take a 2nd or even a 3rd for him at this point.

He's not getting a new deal here, that's a given. So a hold out is very possible, after that? Free agency for a 4th round comp pick (assuming they don't go heavy in free agency next year)? Doesn't sound ideal does it.

If he didn't hold out I'd be all for letting him play next year and even tagging him in 2019, although it doesn't see a very 'Seahawky' thing to do under this front office. I'd probably prefer to keep him next year rather than getting a 2nd or a 3rd on the basis that he doesn't hold out.

But Earl for half a season? That doesn't appeal to me in the slightest hence taking whatever you can get.

Earl is worth more than #33, but willing to settle for that. Cleveland desperately needs a FS, our Earl the future HOF is just what veteran leadership that will elevate Browns to the next level.

Do it Cleveland .

Seymour

Reaction score
toffee":24o4e8zr said:
original poster":24o4e8zr said:
toffee":24o4e8zr said:
original poster":24o4e8zr said:

Earl is worth more than #33, but willing to settle for that. Cleveland desperately needs a FS, our Earl the future HOF is just what veteran leadership that will elevate Browns to the next level.

Do it Cleveland .

Earl can easily block teams like Cleveland by telling them he won't sign an extension. That is one big issue that may well be holding this trade back IMO.

Cyrus12

Reaction score
It would be interesting to know if the interest is even there and what the offers have been like. If he is not traded he signs elsewhere next year. Expect a watered down performance this year to ensure no injury occurs or maybe even a mysterious hamstring issue that will keep him sidelined. If you think he is going to try hard when he's not getting the money and knowing he's gone anyway think again. IMO we have to get what we can now for him. A 2nd and a 3rd might be the best offer out there...or less for all we know.

ApnaHawk

Reaction score
Cyrus12":1kn03xej said:
It would be interesting to know if the interest is even there and what the offers have been like. If he is not traded he signs elsewhere next year. Expect a watered down performance this year to ensure no injury occurs or maybe even a mysterious hamstring issue that will keep him sidelined. If you think he is going to try hard when he's not getting the money and knowing he's gone anyway think again. IMO we have to get what we can now for him. A 2nd and a 3rd might be the best offer out there...or less for all we know.

Why would he hurt his value in a contract year? Especially for a player who wants nothing but to be the greatest at what he does.

toffee

Reaction score
Seymour":yise56n4 said:
toffee":yise56n4 said:
original poster":yise56n4 said:
toffee":yise56n4 said:

Do it Cleveland .

Earl can easily block teams like Cleveland by telling them he won't sign an extension. That is one big issue that may well be holding this trade back IMO.

Agree 100%, but hoping a team like Cleveland would be desperate enough to overpaid and Earl will sign for $$$, which ought be his goal at this stage. ie to cash in on pass performance.

Seymour

Reaction score
Well if Earl does stick around, I sure hope he adds "hugged Red Garrett in the Boy's tunnel" to the Karma list. :D

Cyrus12

Reaction score
ApnaHawk":2sysu8qv said:
Cyrus12":2sysu8qv said:

Why would he hurt his value in a contract year? Especially for a player who wants nothing but to be the greatest at what he does.

Honestly don't think it would. Jimmy tried only in the red zone last year and he got a big payday. I just don't think there is any way he gives it is all with his buddies gone and no new deal.

rcaido

Reaction score
Cyrus12":gpwyhea0 said:
ApnaHawk":gpwyhea0 said:
Cyrus12":gpwyhea0 said:

Honestly don't think it would. Jimmy tried only in the red zone last year and he got a big payday. I just don't think there is any way he gives it is all with his buddies gone and no new deal.

That's really silly...I dont think Earl knows how too slow down. He's one of those players that will always strive to be the best.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
vin.couve12":31452z2g said:
If he stays, that's a dumb move. He's gone to TX after this season. Get what you can now. It should ha e happened in the frenzy, but at this point just get it done. It's basically a 1 year rental right now.
Not necessarily true. They can franchise him twice if they don’t extend him this year, plus *allas is in cap hell and will be for a couple of years, and will be in a lot worse shape the Seattle will be for the near future.

Kinger95

Reaction score
The Seahawks v Texans game is on nfl tv right now. Earl got his doors blown off by will fuller on the 1st score of the game. Got caught flat footed and took too long to react and was 2 steps behind and never even got close to contesting the catch. Was actually kinda sad how helpless he looked but it was a good play and a fast receiver but still

vin.couve12

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":2v58lv77 said:
vin.couve12":2v58lv77 said:
If he stays, that's a dumb move. He's gone to TX after this season. Get what you can now. It should ha e happened in the frenzy, but at this point just get it done. It's basically a 1 year rental right now.
Not necessarily true. They can franchise him twice if they don’t extend him this year, plus *allas is in cap hell and will be for a couple of years, and will be in a lot worse shape the Seattle will be for the near future.

Horrible ideology. You're still thinking you have autonomy over a human who can literally just not play your game. Guy got hurt one single time and was thinking about retirement. Beyond that, franchising is petty, weak and small and it will cause problems on your team. If JS uses the franchise tag on anyone, I'll be part of a growing group of people who will want his arse run out of town. Seriously, franchising is for losers who can't do their job.

hawknation2018

Reaction score
I'm all about franchising Earl Thomas if they can't get a three-year extension worked out. Franchise tag is part of the rules of the game. He would get $11+ million, which is a lot to walk away from just to take a stand on something.

As Earl himself said, he will be "rich and happy regardless."

Ideally, they won't need to use the franchise tag on anyone. They haven't used it since Olindo Mare in 2010.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
No way. I don't care if it's a QB, Bell, or Olindo frickin Mare. Rules or not, it's bad practice and you're asking for trouble on your team. Bobby Wagner is the best player on the team and I still wouldn't use it on him either. It should be done away with completely.

hawknation2018

Reaction score
vin.couve12":fx9jm86v said:
No way. I don't care if it's a QB, Bell, or Olindo frickin Mare. Rules or not, it's bad practice and you're asking for trouble on your team. Bobby Wagner is the best player on the team and I still wouldn't use it on him either. It should be done away with completely.

It's possible the front office agrees with this. They have treated their players as well as any other team in the league. The latest example was releasing Richard Sherman early, so that he would have more time to find a new deal, before they had worked out a new contract with Byron Maxwell, which basically forfeited all of their leverage.

However, I just don't agree with playing with one hand tied behind your back. As a last resort option, to prevent us from being bid into the stratosphere by teams with $50 million in cap space, I would use the franchise tag to keep a player like Earl Thomas in the fold. These are the rules the rest of league is playing by.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
vin.couve12":19zymnum said:
Sports Hernia":19zymnum said:
vin.couve12":19zymnum said:

Horrible ideology. You're still thinking you have autonomy over a human who can literally just not play your game. Guy got hurt one single time and was thinking about retirement. Beyond that, franchising is petty, weak and small and it will cause problems on your team. If JS uses the franchise tag on anyone, I'll be part of a growing group of people who will want his arse run out of town. Seriously, franchising is for losers who can't do their job.
Disagree pretty much 100%, sorry. You don’t get better trading off your best players just to be getting a marginal midround draft pick because you are butthurt that he said he wants to play for his hometown team before he is done playing. This isn’t Madden or fantasy football.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
I don't care who does what. It's a man to man thing and it's disgusting, dishonorable, and is just plain wrong. The end.

EDIT: In my line of work, most companies have a BS clause where you can be denied work for up to a year due to trade secrets, but thankfully, WA does not recognize it (most companies don't try to enforce anyway). No one should ever, ever, ever own the sole rights to your employment under any circumstances. The fact that it's football and millions of dollars are involved is irrelevant.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
Anyway, it's not going to happen. I would hope that they have learned from Lynch type issues that they themselves had a part in creating that had a cascading effect for multiple years. Earl isn't as important as Lynch was, but either way, you don't pull some crap that like when you're trying to "reset."

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
vin.couve12":147zd7ol said:
I don't care who does what. It's a man to man thing and it's disgusting, dishonorable, and is just plain wrong. The end.

EDIT: In my line of work, most companies have a BS clause where you can be denied work for up to a year due to trade secrets, but thankfully, WA does not recognize it (most companies don't try to enforce anyway). No one should ever, ever, ever own the sole rights to your employment under any circumstances. The fact that it's football and millions of dollars are involved is irrelevant.
Meh, IMHO you are getting caught up in “the drama”, it’s like getting upset over what someone says on Facebook.

As for employment, loyalty is a 2 way street. Ask Sherm about the teams loyalty to him when he got cut.
My longtime job is going away in April of next year, after 24 years, my company has zero loyalty to its employees, just so the CEO and the executives can add a few more dollars to their already extremely bloated salaries.

So spare me the employees need to be loyal servants act.

Latest posts