Seahawks asking for a 1st from the Cowboys for Earl

chris98251

Reaction score
If you wait till draft day it creates a shuffle amongst all the other teams having to re-adjust their boards and strategy, can create opportunity for guys to fall or panic pick.

lukerguy

Reaction score
AgentDib":1tbh35e9 said:
lukerguy":1tbh35e9 said:
2) You either trade him now, or you plan to keep him for the next 4+ years as a cornerstone and pay him top dollar. I'm not opposed to this either because he's such an emotional leader... if you can't get a 1st value.. don't move him.
What would you do if we can't get a 1st for Earl and he's also asking for a 4 yr $60m contract with $40m+ guaranteed?

This would be the worst case scenario, but I wouldn't trade him for a 2nd.

I feel like you could extend him for 15M a year which with his current last year remaining would average to around 14M over 5 years. You could let him play on that contract for 2/3 years and still get a 2nd round pick at age 30.. so no, I wouldn't trade him for a 2nd.. it's too low for a 28 year old.

Duane Brown was a 32 year old hold out with 2 years left who got a 2nd round pick. Earl would have about the same value in 2 years. It's also important to consider how the cap keeps increase, which means $14M could be a bargain in 2-3 years.

NFSeahawks

Reaction score
lukerguy":16p0wv9e said:
AgentDib":16p0wv9e said:
lukerguy":16p0wv9e said:
2) You either trade him now, or you plan to keep him for the next 4+ years as a cornerstone and pay him top dollar. I'm not opposed to this either because he's such an emotional leader... if you can't get a 1st value.. don't move him.
What would you do if we can't get a 1st for Earl and he's also asking for a 4 yr $60m contract with $40m+ guaranteed?

I feel like you could extend him for 15M a year which with his current last year remaining would average to around 14M over 5 years. You could let him play on that contract for 2/3 years and still get a 2nd round pick at age 30.. so no, I wouldn't trade him for a 2nd.. it's too low for a 28 year old.

Duane Brown was a 32 year old hold out with 2 years left who got a 2nd round pick. Earl would have about the same value in 2 years. It's also important to consider how the cap keeps increase, which means $14M could be a bargain in 2-3 years.

No, no extending. Franchise or trade only. The guy has about 2-3 years max at his current level of play.

adeltaY

Reaction score
NFSeahawks628":3urv6zki said:
lukerguy":3urv6zki said:
AgentDib":3urv6zki said:
lukerguy":3urv6zki said:

No, no extending. Franchise or trade only. The guy has about 2-3 years max at his current level of play.

If we extended him, couldn't we just front-load his guaranteed money and cut him if he shows the kind of decline you're talking about? What if we gave him a four year deal that's really a three year deal with minimal dead money (1-2M) or a two year deal with moderate dead money (5-6M total if we cut him two years into the deal)?

original poster

Reaction score
adeltaY":r3su2mp2 said:
NFSeahawks628":r3su2mp2 said:
lukerguy":r3su2mp2 said:
AgentDib":r3su2mp2 said:

If we extended him, couldn't we just front-load his guaranteed money and cut him if he shows the kind of decline you're talking about? What if we gave him a four year deal that's really a three year deal with minimal dead money (1-2M) or a two year deal with moderate dead money (5-6M total if we cut him two years into the deal)?

That would be great but he wouldn't go for that I don't think. He is going to want really, really strong GTD money.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
AgentDib":37fcn18n said:
lukerguy":37fcn18n said:

It's a gamble.

You can let him play this year, and if he has an amazing year then his stock just went up and we might get that 1st rounder or multiple pick asking price next off season once we franchise him.

But he also might have another injury prone year missing multiple games, or worse. Then his stock plummets and we just have to let him walk and get nothing.

If I'm Dallas though, I have to know this is their chance to get him. If they wait, Earl's a year older and if he plays as well as they think he's going to play? Then I have to know the Hawks are going to just franchise him and the asking price went up, or at least stayed the same (1st rounder).

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Not sure about anyone else, but I have a strange feeling that the Hawks will be trading Earl for that #50 pick plus something extra from Dallas. I would think a 2nd and 3rd, but it's hard to tell. Probably will end up being a 2 and 4.
Hope I'm wrong and he stays here, but it's no secret that Dallas wants him, and he would love to play in Dallas if he's not here.

jlwaters1

Reaction score
HawkGA":1y3v5fnc said:
We are coming to crunch time. I can't imagine a trade being done at the draft so I would think it would done today, tomorrow, of the next day.

Exit question: assume a 1 is off the table. What else would be acceptable? a 2 and a 3? A 1 next year and a 3 this year?

I would be happy with a 2nd & 4th this year and next year's 3rd.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":1qgzpibk said:
Not sure about anyone else, but I have a strange feeling that the Hawks will be trading Earl for that #50 pick plus something extra from Dallas. I would think a 2nd and 3rd, but it's hard to tell. Probably will end up being a 2 and 4.
Hope I'm wrong and he stays here, but it's no secret that Dallas wants him, and he would love to play in Dallas if he's not here.
I have a feeling he doesn’t get traded.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
With Pete's most recent, uncharacteristically definitive comments, I don't think Earl gets traded even though it's the better decision to trade him. It's unfortunate that we'll almost assuredly not get a decent ROI on a new deal or just lose out on assets in less than a year, but it is what it is.

edogg23

Reaction score
Keep in mind this is not the last year we can trade Earl. Next year we can always do a sign and trade with a threat of a franchise tag as the alternative to him doing the trade.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Hopefully there are some other teams making calls for Earl that we haven't heard about. The so called "experts" don't hear everything. Until they get thru Round 2, it will be a possibility.

Seymour

Reaction score
Lazy reporting. Boys are just one of 31 possibilities.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Truth. All it takes is one team to make an offer they think is good enough. This is Earl Thomas we are talking about. One of the best safeties in the history of the game.

toffee

Reaction score
Seymour":7h3y7jkg said:
Lazy reporting. Boys are just one of 31 possibilities.
true but our HOF fs already explicitly declared his heart belongs to the Jerry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

James in PA

Reaction score
This is someone in the Dallas organization trying to make it look like Dallas is only “casually” interested in Earl in hopes that Seattle will lower their asking price. This is the kind of BS maneuvering you see from everyone leading up to the draft. Non story.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk