Seahawks sign CJ Spiller

theincrediblesok

Reaction score
Loved this signing, Pretty sure Lynch and Fred Jackson gave the FO raving reviews and probably made his decision easier.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
I'm pretty cynical about this kind of signing. There's probably a reason he was available, and it's probably not that hard to guess (e.g. his injuries). He might just be here for intel on the Jets, though I'm not sure he'd have all that much dirt to spill.

All that said, though...I'm strangely somewhat excited.

Bobblehead

Reaction score
I"m calling it... I'm the only one who said, Lets sign Spiller.. and NOT a word from anyone. That was when we were looking for RB's to fill.
LOL, ok, just had to say it. :)

tmobilchawker79

Reaction score
ludakrishna":1cwxomnb said:
He's also a punt + kick returner. Lets Lockett focus on being a WR.

Well then we shouldn't have gotten rid of Brian Walters. One does not simply take their pro bowl kick returner off the field.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
'Grats on the prediction bobblehead.

Don't dislocate your shoulder patting yourself on the back though, b/c Spiller still hasn't proven he still can play in the NFL and his sometime exceptional physical skills have eroded some since he left Buffalo. There are reasons why both Buffalo and NO have let him go. However, this may just be a genuine coup by the team if Spiller still has it. If nothing else any dependence upon the up to now quite undependable Prosise is temporarily vitiated and he could be IR'd, the team many have acquired for cheap a potentially special 3rd down back with serious returning skills.

This is a potentially exciting roster move.

I could see Magee back on the PS as a potential hedge against any injury to Michael at least while Rawls is recovering, after that expect some further changes if Spiller still has his stuff.

Northwest Seahawk

Reaction score
We'll see what he's got in this Offense i'm not putting much stock in this signing, I hope i'm wrong and Spiller excels here.

Bobblehead

Reaction score
He hasn't played this year, is that correct?
It's taken us about 3 month's to get where we are, how long does it usually take a player to be in game shape?

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
Jerhawk":1k1igskx said:
Hasselbeck":1k1igskx said:
Jerhawk":1k1igskx said:
It's almost like they could've kept Pope over Collins and this wouldn't have happened

At least you get to see Pope this weekend. He'll be wearing a Jets cap and Jets warmups. Very impactful player.

Just like what Spiller will be inevitably doing after he pulls a hamstring or finds some other way onto the injury report. Can't wait to watch Collins go down on first contact while Spiller watches from the bench

Really? You are hoping Collins fails?

Bobblehead

Reaction score
Hawkpower":2jgbj321 said:
Forte has been solid and backup Powell is a dependable 6 year vet averaging 8.1 a carry. No reason for Pope to be activated at this time. He's still on their 53 because the Jets found him a competent, developing rookie.

The Hawks have stuck with Collins and Prosise and that was their choice.

If Pope was the MVP candidate that he is made out to be by some, he would at least crack the field for a snap or two, right?

I mean even that Magee guy that we signed on a Thursday played for us a few days later.

I'm sure they are just stashing the future hall of famer as a secret weapon for later.[/quote]

No one here has suggested Pope is anywhere near a future hall of famer...or even a starter for somebody. The Jets' RB situation is far different from ours right now. The Jets' first 2 RBs are solid veterans in a predominately pass-oriented offense. They don't require a #2 and a 3rd down back.

Count me in as one who thought Pope deserved a 53 man roster spot here, but our banged up RB corp in a still balanced run-pass offense is apples and oranges to NY. Pope will get his chance eventually with NY or someone else and we'll see how he does.[/quote]

Of course my hyperbole was tongue and cheek, but you would think by now, our new fans we have picked up over the last few years would have gathered enough experience to take preseason games with a grain of salt.

He may indeed end up being a nice #3 for somebody some day, but the message board hand-wringing to talent ratio is way out of proportion on this one.[/quote]

The Jets didn't have the luxury of watching Pope during training camp. They may have an idea what Pope is, but with a couple of dependable players at hand it's very unlikely Pope ever plays until he and the Jets are familiar enough with each other. If the Jets didn't think much of Pope, they would have signed him to their PS, but they know someone will take him right off, the Hawks for instance.

Hawkpower

Reaction score
Sure, maybe thats why he wears sweatpants on Sundays.

But that isnt my point.

People are going overboard with their pope love, even so far as hoping our remaining backs "fail" just to prove that their NFL scouting skillz are as awesome as they believe them to be.

Like I said, the handwringing to talent ratio is completely out of whack. pope may be a nice little back some day, but you would think he was Barry Sanders with the over the top adoration this board heaps on him on ever running back thread.

As a fan base, we are better, and more educated than that....

johnnyfever

Reaction score
Right off the bat-I don't know a whole lot about Spiller, so I started doing some research. Points of concern:

1.)seems injury prone. Not major injuries, but serious enough to limit his time on the field quite a bit. Maybe just unlucky, but even in college seems like he is a bit fragile for our running game.

2.)Seems like, from team sources he has played on, he has a bit of a mental block on knowing the offense well. This isn't something that is easy to confirm. Maybe he didn't buy in as he didn't believe in the system or had bad relationships with coaching or staff. Not sure, but it has been brought up.

Things that look good:

1.)He has a good ability to make quick cuts and evade hits. You would think this would make him stay healthier, but as of yet not so much. regardless, he has quick feet.

2.)from the limited tape I watched, has decent vision and patience for seeing and hitting holes.

Hard to say if he will work or not in our system. The injuries throughout his career are my biggest concern. We already have a stable of hobbled backs, so adding another would really suck. I sincerely hope he works out, but can'r see him as a long term answer as a major player unless his performance really differs from his past.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
Some of the Pope comments are asinine. One extreme argument to derail another. The Jets have him on their roster for his upside. He's been there for three weeks and the Jets already had their 1-2 set. The Hawks should have kept him in hindsight, but that doesn't mean he's going to go somewhere else and get gameday reps. Their situation isn't like ours where we're so depleted behind one guy that we'll even give a same week signee some reps.

At any rate, hopefully Spiller is something like the player he used to be and we have a solid 1-2 ourselves. Maybe even Prosise gets and stays healthy and it's all moot anyway.

peppersjap

Reaction score
This is pretty much heading in the same direction as the endless Chris Matthews posts last year, Pope was very good in his opportunities in games vs 3rd and 4th stringers. We have already seen in Rawls case last year that Pete and John are not so sold on draft picks that they will keep them just for that reason, CMike was traded even though he was a 2nd round pick. If they thought Pope was the best option he would be here. We all know what has happened to Chris Matthews since he was let go, his best play since was tackling Richard Sherman by his hair. I'm very good with there decisions.

ludakrishna

Reaction score
CHawkTailGator":39mu8zxd said:
ludakrishna":39mu8zxd said:
He's also a punt + kick returner. Lets Lockett focus on being a WR.

Well then we shouldn't have gotten rid of Brian Walters. One does not simply take their pro bowl kick returner off the field.

The comparison between Walters and Spiller is a joke. Let me use facts and data to dismiss that opinion.

Has CJ Spiller ever been a full time kick and punt returner before? Yes he has.

CJ Spiller
Career Kick return avg: 24.1
Career Punt return avg: 12.1

Tyler Lockett
Kick return avg 2015: 25.8
Punt return avg 2015: 9.4

Brian Walters:
Kick return avg: 20.6
Punt return avg: 6.6

As the data substantiates, Walters can't hold Spiller jock when it comes to returning kicks or punts. As far as Lockett goes, Tyler is a slightly better kick returner which he has not been doing the last few games anyways. As far as punt returns as concerned, CJ is a better returner by the numbers. By looking at solely production and data, CJ would be a better option to do both while protecting Lockett for crucial points in the game and having his focus solely on being a receiver.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
Another "often hurt" guy to play behind our awful OL that is guaranteed to get them hurt. Head scratcher.