Seahawks sign CJ Spiller

ivotuk

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":2lrg0xvq said:
ivotuk":2lrg0xvq said:
SeahawksFanForever":2lrg0xvq said:
Seahawks were using Collins as a 3rd down back. Spiller is an immediate upgrade. Solid move!

Not too sure about that. I think they need to give those snaps to AC. There's a reason why Spiller is available.

Because he was often hurt. You literally said it a few posts prior. Has nothing to do with talent.

....and I just referred to it again in the post that you quoted...

As in, there's a reason that he's available...he keeps getting injured. I'm pretty sure Alex Collins will be called on again when Spiller hurts himself taking the hand off.

West TX Hawk

Reaction score
Hawkpower":26dd5ph2 said:
West TX Hawk":26dd5ph2 said:
FlyingGreg":26dd5ph2 said:
Jerhawk":26dd5ph2 said:
It's almost like they could've kept Pope over Collins and this wouldn't have happened

Pre-season Hall of Famer Pope has been inactive fir the Jets first 3 games.

Just a point.

Forte has been solid and backup Powell is a dependable 6 year vet averaging 8.1 a carry. No reason for Pope to be activated at this time. He's still on their 53 because the Jets found him a competent, developing rookie.

The Hawks have stuck with Collins and Prosise and that was their choice.

If Pope was the MVP candidate that he is made out to be by some, he would at least crack the field for a snap or two, right?

I mean even that Magee guy that we signed on a Thursday played for us a few days later.

I'm sure they are just stashing the future hall of famer as a secret weapon for later.

No one here has suggested Pope is anywhere near a future hall of famer...or even a starter for somebody. The Jets' RB situation is far different from ours right now. The Jets' first 2 RBs are solid veterans in a predominately pass-oriented offense. They don't require a #2 and a 3rd down back.

Count me in as one who thought Pope deserved a 53 man roster spot here, but our banged up RB corp in a still balanced run-pass offense is apples and oranges to NY. Pope will get his chance eventually with NY or someone else and we'll see how he does.

Cyrus12

Reaction score
minimal money.no term. we need the help. happy with the signing. At this point Rawls and Prosise are real band aids and cant be relied upon. If Spiller gets hurt ir him and get someone else.

XxXdragonXxX

Reaction score
Jerhawk":xbupsytz said:
It's almost like they could've kept Pope over Collins and this wouldn't have happened

Its almost like they could have kept Pope over Prosise and had 3 healthy backs.

Jerhawk

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":367jrksw said:
Jerhawk":367jrksw said:

At least you get to see Pope this weekend. He'll be wearing a Jets cap and Jets warmups. Very impactful player.

Just like what Spiller will be inevitably doing after he pulls a hamstring or finds some other way onto the injury report. Can't wait to watch Collins go down on first contact while Spiller watches from the bench

massari

Reaction score
So a guy who's put up unimpressive numbers since 2013 and is considered a low tier blocker?

Still holding out hope for Karlos Williams.

Grahamhawker

Reaction score
Cyrus12":1vedfeg8 said:
minimal money.no term. we need the help. happy with the signing. At this point Rawls and Prosise are real band aids and cant be relied upon. If Spiller gets hurt ir him and get someone else.

That's basically the situation. Any contribution Spiller brings is a plus.

CANHawk

Reaction score
I like it. He's got field tilting ability when he's on his game and the oline was looking pretty good on Sunday against SF. he should be able to break a few big ones if everything goes right.

sent from the charred remains of a note 7 using tapatalk

Seymour

Reaction score
SeahawksFanForever":1336ce16 said:
Not a bad move knowing Rawls & Prosise both aren't 100% at the moment. Seahawks love former Bills running backs.

Mutual respect. Pretty sure that is who stole Pope from us as well.

bighawk

Reaction score
i love the thought of Michael and spiller with there speed. Both can break the big one. Very explosive tandem.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
This is pure awesome, assuming there isn't something wrong with Spiller physically. He's very explosive and very adept as a receiver, albeit I'm not sure about pass pro.

He'll likely be the odd man out this week, but going forward he's probably our #2 back, I'm sure.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
massari":t28ee6f8 said:
So a guy who's put up unimpressive numbers since 2013 and is considered a low tier blocker?

Still holding out hope for Karlos Williams.
Pretty sure he's in rehab.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
SeahawksFanForever":1vcqol47 said:
ivotuk":1vcqol47 said:
SeahawksFanForever":1vcqol47 said:
Seahawks were using Collins as a 3rd down back. Spiller is an immediate upgrade. Solid move!

Not too sure about that. I think they need to give those snaps to AC. There's a reason why Spiller is available.

I am not sure if it was a part of the plan to develop Collins as a 3rd down back. That role belongs to Prosise but he couldn't stay healthy throughout training camp & during the season.

Spiller is going to take over that role. He can catch, run routes, and pretty good in the open field. That's exactly the type of role they have planned for Prosise if he can stay healthy.
Collins has been used to give Michael a breather only and they even gave live game reps to a guy who had been on the roster less than a week.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
ivotuk":sphz3tjc said:
"Although Christine Michael will remain the go-to option in the backfield, Spiller will join C.J. Prosise on the depth chart."

"Injuries have taken a toll on the running back since then, limiting him to just nine games in 2014 and 13 games last year, his first season with the Saints. When he was healthy, he struggled to see the field and ended up with just 351 yards from scrimmage on 70 total touches in 2015."

"He simply couldn't move above Mark Ingram, Tim Hightower or Travaris Cadet on the depth chart"

Wow, it';s like Alex Collins doesn't exist.

I seem to remember a very bad injury kind of changed him last year and he still had health problems going into this year.

I don't really know what that means for him here, however. Hopefully he's in the tub with Rawls and Prosise shooting down army men with squirt guns by next week.

EDIT: Looks like no really serious injuries, but multiple lingering injuries including some that required surgery on his knee and shoulder.

Hawkpower

Reaction score
Forte has been solid and backup Powell is a dependable 6 year vet averaging 8.1 a carry. No reason for Pope to be activated at this time. He's still on their 53 because the Jets found him a competent, developing rookie.

The Hawks have stuck with Collins and Prosise and that was their choice.[/quote]

If Pope was the MVP candidate that he is made out to be by some, he would at least crack the field for a snap or two, right?

I mean even that Magee guy that we signed on a Thursday played for us a few days later.

I'm sure they are just stashing the future hall of famer as a secret weapon for later.[/quote]

No one here has suggested Pope is anywhere near a future hall of famer...or even a starter for somebody. The Jets' RB situation is far different from ours right now. The Jets' first 2 RBs are solid veterans in a predominately pass-oriented offense. They don't require a #2 and a 3rd down back.

Count me in as one who thought Pope deserved a 53 man roster spot here, but our banged up RB corp in a still balanced run-pass offense is apples and oranges to NY. Pope will get his chance eventually with NY or someone else and we'll see how he does.[/quote]

Of course my hyperbole was tongue and cheek, but you would think by now, our new fans we have picked up over the last few years would have gathered enough experience to take preseason games with a grain of salt.

He may indeed end up being a nice #3 for somebody some day, but the message board hand-wringing to talent ratio is way out of proportion on this one.

hieroglyphics

Reaction score
Geologic":2t4p3a42 said:
FlyingGreg":2t4p3a42 said:
JSeahawks":2t4p3a42 said:
Loved him coming out of college. I wonder if we stash Procise on IR now?

Probably. As I understand it he can't really catch with his cast on. Renders him kind of useless.
Procise was good at pass protection too. I haven't really watched much of CJ Spiller. Can he pass protect on third downs?

Procise hasn't played a down of NFL football and you're worried about a 7 year veteran's pass protection, not the rookie with zero experience?

El Caliente

Reaction score
As a Saints fan I wish him well, but I wouldn't get my hopes up, or count on him to much if I were you guys.

We let him go because Brees couldn't trust him, and he didn't understand the playbook. Who knows, maybe Bevell's playbook is easier to understand than Sean Payton's, but we brought Tavaris Cadet who was previously our joker back to replace Spiller, and Cadet has been a joke, but he is still giving us more than Spiller did.

Like I said, I hope he does well, and I hope he provides you guys with something. I have no ill will towards him or Graham, and was glad to see Jimmy come out like the te I remember him as last week.

Good luck. We will be holding things down for Myles Garret.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
hieroglyphics":3ufox3bm said:
Geologic":3ufox3bm said:
FlyingGreg":3ufox3bm said:
JSeahawks":3ufox3bm said:
Loved him coming out of college. I wonder if we stash Procise on IR now?

Probably. As I understand it he can't really catch with his cast on. Renders him kind of useless.
Procise was good at pass protection too. I haven't really watched much of CJ Spiller. Can he pass protect on third downs?

Procise hasn't played a down of NFL football and you're worried about a 7 year veteran's pass protection, not the rookie with zero experience?
Procise played in the first game vs. Phins