Seahawks trade for CB - Mohammed Seisay

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
Spleenhawk2.0":13gn5tww said:
Hawkfan77":13gn5tww said:
Spleenhawk2.0":13gn5tww said:
theincrediblesok":13gn5tww said:
Wow it must be telling if we traded a 2016 draft pick for him, maybe they aren't liking what's going on our depth chart. With Lane being out and the rest all unproven we don't know for sure who will actually play opposite Sherman or who will take over the nickel corner.

I also like the idea to release Cary Williams if someone step up, meaning more money to free up and maybe help out with the Kam situation.

It must be very telling. You do not give up a draft pick this early in camp without 1) confidence that the person you are acquiring has a very good shot at making the final 53 2) There are things going on with the CB's that we are not aware of.

If just a temp replacement for injuries, why give up a draft pick?
It's a conditional pick. We did a similar act for Keller Winslow, cut him before the season and didn't lose the pick

I have not seen any confirmation that it was a conditional pick - link?

Way different with Winslow. He was a rather known player, filling a position of need for us. I believe the team was under the impression that he would be willing to re-negotiate his salary once traded, and when he refused he was cut.

Seisay is an unknown player - an undrafted FA last season, moved from PS to active roster only part way through the season. We are deep at CB - assuming Simon and Lane are coming back sometime this season. Even without them, we have depth at the position. I guess the trade is more understandable if conditional pick is involved.....but why would Detroit trade a player this early in camp for a conditional pick? Makes no sense
Boykin just got traded yesterday. Trades happen, I think people are reading into this way too much

hawknation2015

Reaction score
Seisay played just 18 snaps in his rookie season, splitting that time about evenly between RCB, LCB, and Slot CB.

I think this is direct competition for Tye Smith, and perhaps Simon as well if he returns this off-season. Sherman described Smith as raw during OTAs, saying he loses focus.

I will also add that, from what I have seen of Cary Williams, he still needs a lot of work on technique.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
Hawkfan77":2eiu4a8t said:
Why is anyone talking about cutting Cary Williams? After 2 days of training camp, you think they will move on from that investment? Really? You think the Hawks are that bad at scouting personnel?

His cap hit is 4.6 million and yet he has 7 million in dead space if we were to let him go.

No, cutting Cary Williams is not going to happen.

But where did you get your info that this was a conditional pick?

Fade

Reaction score
The Seahawks would lose $2.3 million in cap if Cary Williams were cut.

The Seahawks can cut him next year to gain cap space if necessary. $3.8 freed up while taking a $2.3 dead money hit.

Spleenhawk2.0

Reaction score
Hawkfan77":29ae2zxy said:
Boykin just got traded yesterday. Trades happen, I think people are reading into this way too much

No where was the discussion about whether trades happen during training camp - you said the trade was conditional.....I agreed that the trade makes much more sense if a conditional pick involved. Still waiting for details

My only point is that it seems rather curious that the FO would give up a draft pick if Seisay was just considered "Camp Fodder"

dontbelikethat

Reaction score
Always trading with DET or MIN.

Heard people saying it was a 6th, but don't see it reported anywhere.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
hawknation2015":3glq8gyu said:
Seisay played just 18 snaps in his rookie season, splitting that time about evenly between RCB, LCB, and Slot CB.

I think this is direct competition for Tye Smith, and perhaps Simon as well if he returns this off-season. Sherman described Smith as raw during OTAs, saying he loses focus.

I will also add that, from what I have seen of Cary Williams, he still needs a lot of work on technique.

Have a feeling this kid gets IR stashed. Tye Smith and Burley will probably fight for the backup nickel CB spot.

That'd leave the secondary like so:
- Sherman
- Williams
- Lane/Blackmon
- Simon
- Tye Smith/Burley

hawknation2015

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":c897nedj said:
hawknation2015":c897nedj said:

Have a feeling this kid gets IR stashed. Tye Smith and Burley will probably fight for the backup nickel CB spot.

That'd leave the secondary like so:
- Sherman
- Williams
- Lane/Blackmon
- Simon
- Tye Smith/Burley

I don't think they can get their doctors to just fabricate season-ending injuries.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
hawknation2015":2fhvw0uq said:
We now have a surplus of CBs. Richard Sherman, Cary Williams, Will Blackmon, Marcus Burley, and Tye Smith. Tharold Simon and Jeremy Lane are on the PUP list, but Simon is expected to play sooner rather than later. Perhaps Simon has suffered some kind of setback, and now they foresee keeping him on PUP. Obviously, they feel they need help at CB and are willing to trade for one. Seisay could be competing directly with Smith for a roster spot.
Or maybe they realized that Simon just isn't that good????
I've never been impressed with Simon, his play has never come close to his hype, IMHO.

....... Or this might have nothing to do with any current players on the roster, maybe they had an opportunity to get a guy they've had their eye on for awhile.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":3fzqziwe said:
hawknation2015":3fzqziwe said:
We now have a surplus of CBs. Richard Sherman, Cary Williams, Will Blackmon, Marcus Burley, and Tye Smith. Tharold Simon and Jeremy Lane are on the PUP list, but Simon is expected to play sooner rather than later. Perhaps Simon has suffered some kind of setback, and now they foresee keeping him on PUP. Obviously, they feel they need help at CB and are willing to trade for one. Seisay could be competing directly with Smith for a roster spot.
I've never been impressed with Simon, his play has never come close to his hype, IMHO.

....... Or this might have nothing to do with any current players on the roster, maybe they had an opportunity to get a guy they've had their eye on for awhile.

You can only keep so many cornerbacks, so if you add a guy, it automatically impacts everyone else who is battling for a roster spot.

I think they're still excited about Simon's potential, but maybe concerned about when he will be ready to play. Seisay looked very raw to me when he was at Nebraska, and I doubt Detroit would trade him away unless they felt he was not good enough to make their roster.

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
Spleenhawk2.0":2qnx59ec said:
Hawkfan77":2qnx59ec said:

No where was the discussion about whether trades happen during training camp - you said the trade was conditional.....I agreed that the trade makes much more sense if a conditional pick involved. Still waiting for details

My only point is that it seems rather curious that the FO would give up a draft pick if Seisay was just considered "Camp Fodder"
I never said he was camp fodder

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":34scr823 said:

You think on the second day of training camp, a day where he's not even practicing they came to that conclusion about Simon? Doubtful.

I agree with your second point, this is a guy that screams LOB in terms of his size and sparqienss. I think this was about an opportunity to get someone they think can be a fit and also because they will have yet again a surplus of 2016 draft picks.

theincrediblesok

Reaction score
Either way I like it that we are adding more CBs they need competition and we get the best out of them. The more the merrier especially with Lane and Simon being out.

I thought Marcus Burley did a great job last year.

Spleenhawk2.0

Reaction score
pmedic920":3i7u5akq said:
I know nothing about Seisay.
Is he a possible transition to a safety?
If so, that could be a factor in this trade.

Possibly down the road, but Pete said at his press conference that they lacked numbers at CB, and needed current safeties to focus on the safety position - so at least for now it looks like Seisay will focus the CB position.

But down the road, they may move him into a hybrid / versatile DB like Shead

Exittium

Reaction score
Hawkfan77":1jh4ru1e said:
Sports Hernia":1jh4ru1e said:

You think on the second day of training camp, a day where he's not even practicing they came to that conclusion about Simon? Doubtful.

I agree with your second point, this is a guy that screams LOB in terms of his size and sparqienss. I think this was about an opportunity to get someone they think can be a fit and also because they will have yet again a surplus of 2016 draft picks.

Maybe not the 2nd day of camp.. But theyve had a few years to come to that conclusion. I agree with hernia, imo simons overrated. Dude looks lost when he did get to play. And if he's not playing he's injured. He's our anothny mccoy of the defense.

pmedic920

Reaction score
^^^
I heard what Pete said but we do have a couple of huge question marks looming at safety.

We think we know the answers but we really don't.

#Earl&Kam.

Just a thought while looking for specific reasons for the trade.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Good for Detroit, they spun a player unlikely to make the team into a future pick. They return all four starters from last year, and had a couple high profile picks this year in the secondary. I remember not so long ago when the secondary was their weakness.

And good for Seattle, getting hands on their profile has become a lot tougher of late. This guy has a 6'7" wingspan.

I don't see this as an indictment of current depth,(with the exception of possibly being an indictment of Simon) this is a futures move. Also a chance to replace Lane/Williams before they are gone to another team in 2016.

Still curious to see how many of these guys get "injured" during the current training camp.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Hawkfan77":1hi8uu50 said:
Sports Hernia":1hi8uu50 said:

No, I'm not basing this off of the second day of camp but the "big picture".
It's just possible speculation on my part, nothing more, nothing less.

The second point I made is the more likely case though.