Seahawks Trade for Eagles Tackle Tobin

Josea16

Reaction score
chris98251":2xi8x191 said:
Have to say not having high hopes, but at least he has played the position and we are getting started fixing it in Pre Season and not like Okung going down with the shoulder toss that I think changed him forever as a LT, Fant will be back.

All of our line if you want to look at film have looked like a flood gate opening at one time or another, seeing a brief glimpse career wise of Tobin isn't going to condemn him to me, we have a lot of targets to choose from for that before this kid takes a snap for us live.

Biggest concern is getting up to speed in our scheme and playbook. I am sure he will see time but it will be selective and in specific situations set up to evaluate him going forward that he has been coached up at practice to execute.

Two Games and a lot of practice time and study for this guy right now.
Be very quiet but you do understand we went from an OL with two rookies and the leader having 3 years experience to no rookies and 3-4 positions filled by league average veteran guys that actually played the positions from the jump?

EverydayImRusselin

Reaction score
Coug_Hawk08":278yhgiv said:
Josea16":278yhgiv said:
Coug_Hawk08":278yhgiv said:
After handing Ifedi the right tackle job, and now this Tobin business. . . I am thinking, how much did they hate Gilliam?
Obviously a little bit since they tendered him but wouldn't overpay a single penny over what was required. It isn't like he's all that and a bag of chips. Let the 49ers overpay for average it's the downfall of many NFL franchises and few GM's avoid it consistently.

I don't see it that way. Tobin is similar in monetary cost, and also lost us a draft pick. He has no experience with the team and tape/stats show a player that is very bad. So we are paying the same or more for a prayer. I would have paid a bit extra to keep Gilliam on board in hindsight and I have never even been a fan of his. Gilliam is also better than Ifedi right now, too. He isn't a world beater at all, but he is a better player than what we are committed to and trotting out now.

Also in hindsight, you throw kearse and lane out the window (I hated both contracts the second they were signed), and you keep Okung. He is not the best tackle, but arguably was the best lineman in the Pete Carroll era. Sometimes 'overpaying' for lineman is ok. . .

Okung is not worth the $11m/yr it would've taken to keep him. He is very injury prone and barely average. I'd rather gamble on Fant.

chris98251

Reaction score
Josea16":14m54a13 said:
chris98251":14m54a13 said:
Have to say not having high hopes, but at least he has played the position and we are getting started fixing it in Pre Season and not like Okung going down with the shoulder toss that I think changed him forever as a LT, Fant will be back.

All of our line if you want to look at film have looked like a flood gate opening at one time or another, seeing a brief glimpse career wise of Tobin isn't going to condemn him to me, we have a lot of targets to choose from for that before this kid takes a snap for us live.

Biggest concern is getting up to speed in our scheme and playbook. I am sure he will see time but it will be selective and in specific situations set up to evaluate him going forward that he has been coached up at practice to execute.

Be very quiet but you do understand we went from an OL with two rookies and the leader having 3 years experience to no rookies and 3-4 positions filled by league average veteran guys that actually played the positions from the jump?

Yeah but they are coached by Cable in a ZBS scheme, we had two vets last year and neither were on the team when we look at the roster at seasons end. Cable can polish a turd or screw up a wet dream with Mila Kunas and Emma Stone.

Like I stated we have to see how it plays out, our pre F.A. signing recently team still may be our best option versus a forced situation.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Seymour":20xbltbx said:
In 12 days, there will be 1,184 more players available to choose from.

LOL, yeah, and 1,150 will be starting quality O-Linemen, eh?

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
Sadly Tobin is probably better than what we had in Fant. I wish they would have addressed the LT position early in the draft, but they didnt. Shame to hear Pocic isnt an option at LT either. Going to be a long year.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
chris98251":1vnm1xr8 said:

yes...get him up to speed in OUR system. Then we can evaluate him. And as was said earlier, get him early so we can as a team get him up to speed on how things are done the Seahawk way. Also give the rest of the line time to see his faults and be able to adapt to them or train him out of them, whichever is necessary to keep that dude behind them off crutches.

iigakusei

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":btohl341 said:
Losing Fant was horrible, but did anyone truly feel comfortable with him there? Just sayin
I saw one of the local media guys say losing Fant was a bigger loss than if we lost Graham for the year. Fant was playing well - but I think that is overstating the loss.

Seymour

Reaction score
pittpnthrs":2fsn112b said:
Sadly Tobin is probably better than what we had in Fant. I wish they would have addressed the LT position early in the draft, but they didnt. Shame to hear Pocic isnt an option at LT either. Going to be a long year.

Not sure what is up with Pocic either. They eliminated him from the RT option as well. Cable himself said he is one of the "inside 3 positions". First I heard that, and no idea why they put that limit on him??

The Breh

Reaction score
Eliminating Pocic from the LT spot makes no damn sense.
Eliminating anyone from any spot goes against our "next man up"/"always compete" mottos.
Then again it is Cable.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
iigakusei":lyvixho8 said:
SoulfishHawk":lyvixho8 said:
Losing Fant was horrible, but did anyone truly feel comfortable with him there? Just sayin
I saw one of the local media guys say losing Fant was a bigger loss than if we lost Graham for the year. Fant was playing well - but I think that is overstating the loss.

Way overstating it. I know Pete was raving about him to the press, but that's just his way of pumping players up. I've seen enough preseasons to see August darlings turn 180 degrees into September liabilities.

Coug_Hawk08

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":314qhiku said:
iigakusei":314qhiku said:
SoulfishHawk":314qhiku said:

Way overstating it. I know Pete was raving about him to the press, but that's just his way of pumping players up. I've seen enough preseasons to see August darlings turn 180 degrees into September liabilities.

Yeah, I mean Fant didn't get a real chance to prove the hype in real football games. So it's hard to know what we lost. I can only base it off of last years play, which was good enough to be the worst tackle in the league.

Losing worst tackle in the league vs top 3 TE? Even with positional value consideration (and bevells inenptitude), that's just hyperbole.

Hawkscanner

Reaction score
EverydayImRusselin":1x4cropt said:
http://m.philadelphiaeagles.com/vid...tt-Tobin/8feca3b4-5b73-4c32-a27b-f24ab95a16fc

Not to rain on everybodya pity party bit I'll just leave this here.

PS: you could also say we just traded Alex Collins for Chris Carson if we are being facetious.

HEY, now THAT is encouraging! Thanks for sharing.

You know, personally I'd discount just about everything you see out there (all tapes, all reports, etc.) prior to this year. After all, in Matt Tobin, we're talking about a guy who just like George Fant was a young UDFA with very limited experience. He has been certainly learning on the job. In essence, it would be a lot like judging George Fant based solely on tape from last season. Not fair. Not a fair evaluation whatsoever.

Now, what AusSeahawk did in looking at the tape from the Eagles first 2 Preseason Games -- THAT I put a whole lot more stock in. Thanks for doing that!! Great stuff!

Anyone have access to some of that Philadelphia Eagles Preseason Game footage and can upload some of that? I'd love to check that out if at all possible.

OP
OP
kidhawk

kidhawk

Reaction score
Hawkscanner":t7293sem said:
EverydayImRusselin":t7293sem said:
http://m.philadelphiaeagles.com/vid...tt-Tobin/8feca3b4-5b73-4c32-a27b-f24ab95a16fc

PS: you could also say we just traded Alex Collins for Chris Carson if we are being facetious.

You know, personally I'd discount just about everything you see out there (all tapes, all reports, etc.) prior to this year. After all, in Matt Tobin, we're talking about a guy who just like George Fant was a young UDFA with very limited experience. He has been certainly learning on the job. In essence, it would be a lot like judging George Fant based solely on tape from last season. Not fair. Not a fair evaluation whatsoever.

Now, what AusSeahawk did in looking at the tape from the Eagles first 2 Preseason Games -- THAT I put a whole lot more stock in. Anyone have access to some of that Philadelphia Eagles Preseason Game footage and can upload some of that? I'd love to check that out if possible.

We also tend to forget, that although he's been mostly a backup, he's been a backup on one of the best offensive lines in the NFL. Even if he can't earn a starting job, he immediately improves our depth at a position that we have not been deep at in recent years.

DJrmb

Reaction score
kidhawk":1ykg48af said:
Hawkscanner":1ykg48af said:
EverydayImRusselin":1ykg48af said:

Now, what AusSeahawk did in looking at the tape from the Eagles first 2 Preseason Games -- THAT I put a whole lot more stock in. Anyone have access to some of that Philadelphia Eagles Preseason Game footage and can upload some of that? I'd love to check that out if possible.

We also tend to forget, that although he's been mostly a backup, he's been a backup on one of the best offensive lines in the NFL. Even if he can't earn a starting job, he immediately improves our depth at a position that we have not been deep at in recent years.
Also most, if not all, of his bad tape and negative reviews came from him playing guard which is not his natural position and may just be a position he can't play as well as tackle. However, it does say something that on a good offensive line his coaches saw enough in him that they wanted to try to get him on the field by playing guard.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
kidhawk":3fyddx5b said:
NFSeahawks628":3fyddx5b said:
massari":3fyddx5b said:

"Across from him, an injury to Andrew Gardner forced Matt Tobin into the lineup. Tobin recorded the worst pass protection grade we’ve ever given to an OG (since 2007). He finished with a 30.9 grade (1–100 scale) in that facet of play, giving up eight sacks, 11 hits, and 31 hurries."
- PFF

SO BASICALLY.... hes Ifedi.

I love having a line that collapses in on itself.

One game does not a career make...nor does one good game. We'll know in a few weeks if he earns the job here or not.
Sporadic play from a player that has seen sporadic game time....Lot's of holes in his experience, though I guess the same can be said of a couple of O-Line players that we have on our roster.
You're right....Too early to rule him in or out.

Hawkscanner

Reaction score
Found what I was looking for. So, I was looking for Preseason Footage of the Eagles (so that I could check out Tobin's play on the field this year) -- someone has already gone to the liberty of uploading that. For those who are like me and want to check that out for themselves, here you go ...

Week 1 vs. Packers ...
[youtube]PqMnIaDfFeg[/youtube]

Week 2 vs. Bills ...
[youtube]KhDkeN3VBAs[/youtube]

Hawkscanner

Reaction score
AusSeahawk":1g1t943s said:
Okay, i did some of my own research into this guy seeing as though most of the comments have been negative.

So i went and looked back at the first two preseason games Philly played against Green Bay and Buffalo.

@Green Bay
He Rolled with the 2nds after the first series playing LT
Looked solid in run blocking had some nice down field blocks on Line backers
Thought he was very good in pass pro only gave up 1-2 pressures but didn't give up a sack
A lot of his blocking was one on one with the defensive end
Picked up a nice stunt in the 2nd qrt
Overall i thought he looked good and IMO already shown more than Fant (why people are high on him i don't know)

Buffalo@ Philly
Started game at RT (Which is significant)
Played half way into the 3rd qrt so got a few more snaps
Thought this was a better game from him had some really good blocks that created holes for the RB's
Was very sound in Pass pro, came up against Lorenzo Alexander and beat him consistently, so much so they moved him to the other side to try get some pressure on the QB.

Overall i like the move we needed more O-line help and ill be honest Fant was worrying me going into the season, he was consistently bad yet the coaches keep saying he was playing well and improving :shock:.

At least this move at worst gives us option at both LT & RT as Tobin looked very solid at both.

OK, so I've been watching some of the game film from both the Green Bay game (in which he was in there at LT) ... and the Bills game (started at RT) ... and I have to say that I have to agree with your assessment. To me, overall he looked fairly solid in both his run blocking and pass blocking assignments. He didn't look overwhelmed at all -- very natural. I'm liking a lot what I'm seeing on film there.

I can certainly see why Schneider and company sent a 5th Round pick the Eagles way. The very fact that Philly had Tobin in there playing with the 1's (and going up against the other team's 1st Unit) says a lot about how they felt about him. And he performed fairly admirably IMO.

Personally, I'm breathing a bit easier after seeing him perform for myself. We'll see if this translates over to the Seahawks this upcoming weekend, but I can definitely see now why Matt Tobin is in the running for the LT position.