Seahawks Trade for Eagles Tackle Tobin

capncrunch

Reaction score
RockinHawks":253flb8y said:
Looking at the Eagles progress report, it seems he played much better at the LT spot than on the interior. Looks like a good depth signing, and someone who has nice feet and a decent initial punch to play outside.

So we gave a 5th for a guy who stepped in for an All-Pro LT and stood his ground against one of the best pass rushers in the game. He's young and has some experience.

I'm totally fine with this.

Yeah. Not every draft pick is sacred. What did we have, 11? this year. Guys get hurt all the time. Maybe we get some good hits with the compensatory 5th next yr and the 7th we got on this deal anyway. Next time a guy goes down there may be even lesser talented options, so.............

daveyoung52

Reaction score
But evidense seems to show he's made progress in two years,and now he's at renton.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
ivotuk":iyfazt6a said:
EverydayImRusselin":iyfazt6a said:
http://m.philadelphiaeagles.com/vid...tt-Tobin/8feca3b4-5b73-4c32-a27b-f24ab95a16fc

Not to rain on everybodya pity party bit I'll just leave this here.

PS: you could also say we just traded Alex Collins for Chris Carson if we are being facetious.

Thank You! After watching that video, I'm fairly confident that Tobin will do just fine.

He held up well at left tackle against Jared Allen. Admittedly, an elderly Jared, but Tobin didn't look lost, which is something I see from a Seahawks Olineman.all too often.

He hasn't been coached by Tom Cable yet.

Hawkfish

Reaction score
Sheil Kapadia
ESPN Writer

Tom Cable made it sound like it'll be Rees Odhiambo or Matt Tobin starting at left tackle for the Seahawks. He said rookie Ethan Pocic is not an option. Cable raved about Luke Joeckel at guard and stressed that they do not want to move him over to tackle. At this point, it sounds like that would be only an emergency option.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/team/_/name/sea/

OP
OP
kidhawk

kidhawk

Reaction score
Hawkfish":1r263tra said:
Sheil Kapadia
ESPN Writer

Tom Cable made it sound like it'll be Rees Odhiambo or Matt Tobin starting at left tackle for the Seahawks. He said rookie Ethan Pocic is not an option. Cable raved about Luke Joeckel at guard and stressed that they do not want to move him over to tackle. At this point, it sounds like that would be only an emergency option.

If I were to Parse that, I'd take that to mean that we are going to throw those two to the wolves for the preseason games and see if anything comes of it. If they are absolute trash, then we'll move Joeckel over. For now let's give these guys reps and see if we can turn this into anything usable.

DJrmb

Reaction score
Hawkfish":283xnvv6 said:
Sheil Kapadia
ESPN Writer

He also mentioned that they want to get guys set in their roles and leave them there. He said they moved guys around too much last year and they don't want to repeat that again this year (hence not moving Joeckel).

OP
OP
kidhawk

kidhawk

Reaction score
Here are some press conferences related...

Tobin

[urltargetblank]http://www.seahawks.com/video/2017/08/22/matt-tobin-preseason-week-3-press-conference[/urltargetblank]

Cable

[urltargetblank]http://www.seahawks.com/video/2017/08/22/tom-cable-preseason-week-3-press-conference[/urltargetblank]

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Seymour":izozqyr4 said:
MontanaHawk05":izozqyr4 said:
Seymour":izozqyr4 said:
Sgt. Largent":izozqyr4 said:
We didn't have a full line, until yesterday when we signed two more lineman.

It's not hard math. Two lineman hurt, need two more lineman.

Trying to trade underachieving and/or hurt players with big contracts or wait two more weeks and hope better lineman come available is the worst plan I've ever heard.

Almost as bad of a plan as keeping said players year after year. :2thumbs:

In 12 days, there will be 1,184 more players available to choose from.

Given that those players will be the cuts of other teams, your seeming expectation that we can just find a starting LT lying around the flotsam is dubious at best.

As far as your list of trade candidates, if the Seahawks are willing to jettison them, why would other teams want them? To help us out? You named maybe two guys with significant value right now, Prosise and Graham, and I hope we don't have to go into why those guys aren't getting traded.

That would be a misread. I have zero faith they will find a starter in either resource (now or after cuts).

Why do teams trade? They have needs that are in line with your abundance....pretty simple stuff here.

Don't be insulting. You didn't read what I said. Other teams have need of GOOD players. None of the guys you mentioned are considered "good players" at the moment, for various reasons - injury, a down 2016, just plain crummy. So why would a team want them?

Maybe a trade ends up happening, I don't know the future. But it seems unlikely.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
It's too bad hearing that come from Cable. I have a lot more interest seeing Pocic play at LT than either Odhiambo or Tobin.

Foghawk

Reaction score
If Joeckel were the best option at LT I would like to think Cable would kick him out there. Right?

OP
OP
kidhawk

kidhawk

Reaction score
Foghawk":1hxh04iz said:
If Joeckel were the best option at LT I would like to think Cable would kick him out there. Right?

IMO, it's not always that simple. It's the sum of the parts. He may be the best LT and the best LG, but maybe the line as a whole protects better with him at Guard then him at Tackle. Hopefully they can get it figured out soon. The ONLY silver lining in all this is we have 2 preseason games to see what Odhi and Tobin can do without costing us games that count.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Somehow I don't think that is going to happen this year.

The FO and the coaches caught a lot of flack starting Fant as a rookie last year. I doubt we see that repeated.

GLio14

Reaction score
Odhiambo got beat at LT by an undrafted free agent clawing to make the roster. Imagine him against premiere DE's. I am OUT on Rees as our LT.

ivotuk

Reaction score
DJrmb":2dlvcgmh said:
Hawkfish":2dlvcgmh said:
Sheil Kapadia
ESPN Writer

He also mentioned that they want to get guys set in their roles and leave them there. He said they moved guys around too much last year and they don't want to repeat that again this year (hence not moving Joeckel).

Wow. He's just now figuring that out?

Fans may not have a lot of experience when it comes to managing players, but when 90% of Fans, Writers, and Broadcasters say: "Stop moving them around! Let them learn their spot instead of perpetuating the suck. Then maybe there's something to it.

There's plenty of blame to go around, but this is one place where Pete's "Always Compete" failed, because they weren't competing in continuity.

Seymour

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":2d00zjqi said:
Don't be insulting. You didn't read what I said. Other teams have need of GOOD players. None of the guys you mentioned are considered "good players" at the moment, for various reasons - injury, a down 2016, just plain crummy. So why would a team want them?

Maybe a trade ends up happening, I don't know the future. But it seems unlikely.

Insulting like "teams would trade just to help us"?

Ask a stupid question, get a stupid answer.

Seymour

Reaction score
Foghawk":2z5u9b7r said:

Joeckel would be the last option. Cable said they learned something from last year that shuffling guys hurts progress and they want to avoid that. :idea: