Seahawks Trade for Eagles Tackle Tobin

Bobblehead

Reaction score
Thats really flabbergasting that a coach only now figures out, switching players around is a bad idea. It's hard enough to learn and perfect one way, let alone 2 ways. I can only imagine how much harder it is in the pro level... where you wont get away with anything.

AusSeahawk

Reaction score
Okay, i did some of my own research into this guy seeing as though most of the comments have been negative.

So i went and looked back at the first two preseason games Philly played against Green Bay and Buffalo.

@Green Bay
He Rolled with the 2nds after the first series playing LT
Looked solid in run blocking had some nice down field blocks on Line backers
Thought he was very good in pass pro only gave up 1-2 pressures but didn't give up a sack
A lot of his blocking was one on one with the defensive end
Picked up a nice stunt in the 2nd qrt
Overall i thought he looked good and IMO already shown more than Fant (why people are high on him i don't know)

Buffalo@ Philly
Started game at RT (Which is significant)
Played half way into the 3rd qrt so got a few more snaps
Thought this was a better game from him had some really good blocks that created holes for the RB's
Was very sound in Pass pro, came up against Lorenzo Alexander and beat him consistently, so much so they moved him to the other side to try get some pressure on the QB.

Overall i like the move we needed more O-line help and ill be honest Fant was worrying me going into the season, he was consistently bad yet the coaches keep saying he was playing well and improving :shock:.

At least this move at worst gives us option at both LT & RT as Tobin looked very solid at both.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
AusSeahawk":164m914o said:
Okay, i did some of my own research into this guy seeing as though most of the comments have been negative.

So i went and looked back at the first two preseason games Philly played against Green Bay and Buffalo.

@Green Bay
Thought he was very good in pass pro only gave up 1-2 pressures but didn't give up a sack
Overall i thought he looked good and IMO already shown more than Fant (why people are high on him i don't know)

Buffalo@ Philly
Thought this was a better game from him had some really good blocks that created holes for the RB's
Was very sound in Pass pro, came up against Lorenzo Alexander and beat him consistently, so much so they moved him to the other side to try get some pressure on the QB.

Overall i like the move we needed more O-line help and ill be honest Fant was worrying me going into the season, he was consistently bad yet the coaches keep saying he was playing well and improving :shock:.

At least this move at worst gives us option at both LT & RT as Tobin looked very solid at both.

I like this post. Thanks. It helps reading something that one of our own has researched.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Holy Moly, reason rather than knee jerk.

Amazing!

There has to be something negative you can point to AusSeahawk. After all, the coaches and FO are always never as smart as amateurs on a fan board.

DJrmb

Reaction score
Seahawkfan80":22sqwpxu said:
AusSeahawk":22sqwpxu said:

@Green Bay

Buffalo@ Philly

I like this post. Thanks. It helps reading something that one of our own has researched.
What a novel idea. Someone actually doing a little research and gathering information to make an informed opinion...

I said the same thing earlier when someone posted a link to the Philly Buffalo game (forgive me I forgot who posted the link). He looked good in that game and looked worlds better than Ifedi has looked at RT at all this preseason. I came away from that game wishing they would start Odhiambo at LT and Tobin at RT.

NFSeahawks

Reaction score
massari":3si8ppot said:

"Across from him, an injury to Andrew Gardner forced Matt Tobin into the lineup. Tobin recorded the worst pass protection grade we’ve ever given to an OG (since 2007). He finished with a 30.9 grade (1–100 scale) in that facet of play, giving up eight sacks, 11 hits, and 31 hurries."
- PFF

SO BASICALLY.... hes Ifedi.

I love having a line that collapses in on itself.

I like the above post though... I'm willing to give the guy a chance.

OP
OP
kidhawk

kidhawk

Reaction score
NFSeahawks628":7jyq1kr7 said:
massari":7jyq1kr7 said:

"Across from him, an injury to Andrew Gardner forced Matt Tobin into the lineup. Tobin recorded the worst pass protection grade we’ve ever given to an OG (since 2007). He finished with a 30.9 grade (1–100 scale) in that facet of play, giving up eight sacks, 11 hits, and 31 hurries."
- PFF

One game does not a career make...nor does one good game. We'll know in a few weeks if he earns the job here or not.

NFSeahawks

Reaction score
kidhawk":13wczh81 said:
NFSeahawks628":13wczh81 said:
massari":13wczh81 said:

- PFF

One game does not a career make...nor does one good game. We'll know in a few weeks if he earns the job here or not.

I edited my post to include optimism. :)

NFSeahawks

Reaction score
Btw... this is what I would like our line to look like starting week 1.

LT: Tobin/Roos
LG: Joeckel
C: Britt
RG: Glow/Roos
RT: Pocic

Jville

Reaction score
AusSeahawk":1t9hzz7q said:

@Green Bay

Buffalo@ Philly

Although I have misplaced the link, there was an interesting study that showed that many teams are matching up their best edge rusher against their opponents weakest pass blocking offensive tackle. No longer do all teams automatically line up their best pass rusher on the left tackle. The NFL has become a match up driven league. Defenses can move their linemen around for favorable match ups. Offenses can't. It's good to hear that Tobin can compete at both tackle spots.

AusSeahawk

Reaction score
jammerhawk":3h80vcgr said:

Amazing!

There has to be something negative you can point to AusSeahawk. After all, the coaches and FO are always never as smart as amateurs on a fan board.

Of course there are negatives just like any other player. I'm not going to pretend and say i know hes going to be a gun LT or RT for us.

To my eye he looked good, it would be great if someone who knew a little about O-line play looked at the first two preseason games and gave a summary on how he did.

OP
OP
kidhawk

kidhawk

Reaction score
AusSeahawk":ccstje8q said:
jammerhawk":ccstje8q said:

Amazing!

Of course there are negatives just like any other player. I'm not going to pretend and say i know hes going to be a gun LT or RT for us.

To my eye he looked good, it would be great if someone who knew a little about O-line play looked at the first two preseason games and gave a summary on how he did.

We should all get a decent look at him this week. I'd assume that Odhiambo starts there this week and Tobin finishes the game there to give them both reps. I'm fairly certain Pete won't tell us his planned rotation though. He likes to go with the "Wait and see" approach when answering that type of question.

Coug_Hawk08

Reaction score
After handing Ifedi the right tackle job, and now this Tobin business. . . I am thinking, how much did they hate Gilliam?

Josea16

Reaction score
Coug_Hawk08":1o0qgsiu said:
After handing Ifedi the right tackle job, and now this Tobin business. . . I am thinking, how much did they hate Gilliam?
Obviously a little bit since they tendered him but wouldn't overpay a single penny over what was required. It isn't like he's all that and a bag of chips. Let the 49ers overpay for average it's the downfall of many NFL franchises and few GM's avoid it consistently.

Coug_Hawk08

Reaction score
Josea16":1paxac20 said:
Coug_Hawk08":1paxac20 said:
Obviously a little bit since they tendered him but wouldn't overpay a single penny over what was required. It isn't like he's all that and a bag of chips. Let the 49ers overpay for average it's the downfall of many NFL franchises and few GM's avoid it consistently.

I don't see it that way. Tobin is similar in monetary cost, and also lost us a draft pick. He has no experience with the team and tape/stats show a player that is very bad. So we are paying the same or more for a prayer. I would have paid a bit extra to keep Gilliam on board in hindsight and I have never even been a fan of his. Gilliam is also better than Ifedi right now, too. He isn't a world beater at all, but he is a better player than what we are committed to and trotting out now.

Also in hindsight, you throw kearse and lane out the window (I hated both contracts the second they were signed), and you keep Okung. He is not the best tackle, but arguably was the best lineman in the Pete Carroll era. Sometimes 'overpaying' for lineman is ok. . .

King Dog

Reaction score
Wentz tweeted that he's gonna kneel the rest of the season for the national anthem, in protest of Howie making the Tobin trade.

chris98251

Reaction score
Have to say not having high hopes, but at least he has played the position and we are getting started fixing it in Pre Season and not like Okung going down with the shoulder toss that I think changed him forever as a LT, Fant will be back.

All of our line if you want to look at film have looked like a flood gate opening at one time or another, seeing a brief glimpse career wise of Tobin isn't going to condemn him to me, we have a lot of targets to choose from for that before this kid takes a snap for us live.

Biggest concern is getting up to speed in our scheme and playbook. I am sure he will see time but it will be selective and in specific situations set up to evaluate him going forward that he has been coached up at practice to execute.

Two Games and a lot of practice time and study for this guy right now.

Josea16

Reaction score
King Dog":29qwqn48 said:
Wentz tweeted that he's gonna kneel the rest of the season for the national anthem, in protest of Howie making the Tobin trade.
If your serious I say go for it. Uninfortunatly you tripped my sardar. Try harder because the first attempt did entertain me.