Seahawks trade for Terrelle Pryor

scutterhawk

Reaction score
HoustonHawk82":2oyis55t said:
Largent80":2oyis55t said:
TP will fill in all the cracks.

So, TP will be relegated to clean-up duty?
Yeah, but, in some cases, probably going to need Watters to get the job done. :34853_tinfoil:

bigskydoc

Reaction score
hawknation2014":28a9fd4g said:
3 catches, 2 TD receptions in his career at Ohio State. Here is the first one coming in the Fiesta Bowl when Pryor was a true freshman:

[youtube]lrZYZktLdns[/youtube]

If you look closely, you can see Earl Thomas covering the middle of the end zone and running toward the catch in that video!

Meaning absolutely nothing, but interesting to me nonetheless.

- bsd

Zebulon Dak

Banned
Reaction score
HansGruber":3ga7r3ck said:
Zebulon Dak":3ga7r3ck said:
I think people tend to ignore the fact that if these next 2 seasons go how we all want them to then Russell is probably going to become the highest paid player in the history of this league. And if you consider the fact that we're about to make Sherm the highest paid corner in the league and Earl the highest paid safety in the league then there's a possibility that RW is going to be playing somewhere else in 2016. I know, I hate the idea as much as you do, but it's still a possibility. Probably a good idea to have a contingency plan.

Nope. Sorry. There's no way the Seahawks let RW leave. They'd dump Thomas first or trade Sherman.

There's no way Paul Allen allows that to happen.

Hey, ya never know.

Zebulon Dak

Banned
Reaction score
Anthony!":2chyyvlh said:
HawksSoc":2chyyvlh said:
Weird stuff, not stupid. Your suggesting our FO doesn't know the value of Russ; stupid.

agreed and yet just look 5 or so posts above this one and there is someone saying this exact thing

I looked, can't find it.

bigskydoc

Reaction score
TP was heavily recruited out of high school for both basketball and football.

A little highlight reel of the state basketball championship he played in the year prior to his catch in the Fiesta Bowl against Texas.

[youtube]wANEbJcm9EM[/youtube]

TP is wearing #1. Check out the elevation he gets at 1:29. 2:05 and 0:37 (from the previous game) ain't bad either.

Looks like we may have found that tough, tall, red zone and mid-field receiver that we really need if he is willing to switch positions.

- bsd

HansGruber

Reaction score
I don't get the WR talk. Don't see it happening. Doesn't seem realistic or possible at all

Zebulon Dak

Banned
Reaction score
HansGruber":3ehgolv6 said:
I don't get the WR talk. Don't see it happening. Doesn't seem realistic or possible at all

Doesn't seem likely to me either but hey, ya never know.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
-The Glove-":2v4n5ahq said:
Basis4day":2v4n5ahq said:
Seahawkfan80":2v4n5ahq said:
Just a tiny bit of history since we do learn from it once in a while. We had Matt Hasselbeck for a Quarterback with a decent backup that we used as a wide receiver at one point in time just to get him time on the field. It would have been interesting to see Seneca Wallace throw out of the backfield more as a Wide Receiver. That may happen with this trade. Just thinking yalll.....

The thing about that is Wallace, as a seahawk, only had 4 receptions on 6 targets. It's not like it was a significant part of our offense.

He also never was the athletic freak that Pryor is

If I recall correctly, He was also on the bench for most of the time he was in our uniform. He did not do much as the Hass was at work on the field and backup Qb was more important to the walrus then having another weapon on the field. Just my eeny weeny tiny minds opinion.

:thirishdrinkers:

chris98251

Reaction score
Jeez 8 pages on a 7th round project. You guys really need something to talk about to happen.

Zebulon Dak

Banned
Reaction score
chris98251":3fnuc58l said:
Jeez 8 pages on a 7th round project. You guys really need something to talk about to happen.

7th round project? Or Russell Wilson's eventual successor? Think about it...

TXHawk

Reaction score
Basis4day":37328v8w said:
Seahawkfan80":37328v8w said:
Just a tiny bit of history since we do learn from it once in a while. We had Matt Hasselbeck for a Quarterback with a decent backup that we used as a wide receiver at one point in time just to get him time on the field. It would have been interesting to see Seneca Wallace throw out of the backfield more as a Wide Receiver. That may happen with this trade. Just thinking yalll.....

The thing about that is Wallace, as a seahawk, only had 4 receptions on 6 targets. It's not like it was a significant part of our offense.

Wallace was the backup QB and Holmgren was probably worried about an injury if he used him too much as a WR. With TJack as the backup Carroll wouldn't have that concern.

My guess is they want to incorporate some plays into the system for him ala Slash (aka Kordell Stewart) to take advantage of his athleticism. If it doesn't work out little has been lost in the effort. Chances are that the guy they would have picked late in the 7th will still be available as a UDFA if they really want him, and the way Schneider loves to trade down they are likely to end up with one or more 7th round picks anyway.

Pryor has elite athletic skills and Schneider is bringing him into camp at very low cost. I don't know why anyone would complain about this move.

Geologic

Reaction score
chris98251":3js3vohx said:
I just really love Terrelle Pryor as a prospect. When I saw him play in Ohio State he was exhilarating to watch. There was talk about Cam Newton vs Terrelle Pryor back in his college days. I say he's more athletic then Cam Newton. If he can feed off Russell's work ethic and learn a couple things from this coaching staff, I believe he can be a franchise player. I don't see the Seahawks ditching Russell Wilson of course, but I'd love for him to play for another team (through a trade). He's a gifted player. I hope the best for him. I've always been a T-Peezy fan.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
hawknation2014":145uar5l said:
Geologic":145uar5l said:
Are people forgetting we wasted a 4th round pick on a WR, Chris Harper to be exact, who we cut before he could make the active roster? A 7th round pick on someone who's this athletically gifted is not a bad idea.

If we had received Terrelle Pryor on a four-year rookie minimum contract, then I agree it would be an easy deal.

Unfortunately, it's not so simple. This is a one-year deal for a likely 3rd string QB, who is on record as wanting to be a starting QB in the NFL "so bad." The chances that Terrelle re-signs with the Seahawks after this year do not appear particularly high.

But is it still worth it to lose a low draft choice for the chance to kick Terelle's tires for one year and perhaps convince him to play a position other than QB? Possibly.

The thing is if he'd gone to waivers which he had to while still on his rookie contract, the Hawks wouldn't have been able to get close enough to have a sniff b/c they're last for waiver picks. Another thing is if the team can't re-sign him next offseason then we'd possibly be eligible for a comp pick from him depending if he's able to find a deal elsewhere, and if he were a FA this year we'd have to pay more for him which could also potentially lose the team a comp pick in next year's draft. He's an exceptional physical talent. Finally he's cheap and the team isn't bound to him if he's a problem child b/c 7th rd picks have a short life if they aren't special talents and/or they toe the line.

Low risk, high potential reward, and he doesn't go to SF.

Anthony!

Reaction score
Zebulon Dak":3rjisn8b said:
Anthony!":3rjisn8b said:
HawksSoc":3rjisn8b said:
Weird stuff, not stupid. Your suggesting our FO doesn't know the value of Russ; stupid.

agreed and yet just look 5 or so posts above this one and there is someone saying this exact thing

I looked, can't find it.

well then just look above your post were a guy says you never know, the fact he says that tells you something, and if you look through out this thread there are others, obviously someone went back and edited what they wrote. OR this from 4 posts above, (until he changes it)
"7th round project? Or Russell Wilson's eventual successor? Think about it..."

strohmin

Reaction score
Some of you value these draft picks higher than they should be.

themunn

Reaction score
Anthony!":3dyu82qt said:
Zebulon Dak":3dyu82qt said:
Anthony!":3dyu82qt said:
HawksSoc":3dyu82qt said:

I looked, can't find it.

well then just look above your post were a guy says you never know, the fact he says that tells you something, and if you look through out this thread there are others, obviously someone went back and edited what they wrote. OR this from 4 posts above, (until he changes it)
"7th round project? Or Russell Wilson's eventual successor? Think about it..."

You need to get your sense of humour chip checked out because if you can't spot a joke like that in the wild it's obviously malfunctioning

kearly

Reaction score
Scottemojo":3q9dctv3 said:
The Seattle front office has already publicly labeled him an athlete, not a QB. Pryor fits the Seattle prototype at WR. His NFL prospects at QB are dim, but at WR they are not. Seattle already has an athlete at WR who blurs positional lines, Harvin can impact a game without seeing hardly a single pass. To me, all signs point to similarly blurred lines positionally for Pryor. I expect in the coming days for some word to leak out about just such a thing.

John Schneider repeatedly said on the radio that Seattle views Pryor as a QB and only a QB. JS can be crafty, but I don't know if he's ever lied. He's usually 100% honest about his intentions.

That said, it is noteworthy that most if not all of Tjack's 2014 salary is guaranteed. Seattle wouldn't carry 3 QBs would they? And then there's BJ Daniels too.

Pryor does have some natural QB talent IMO and if they could give him the Alex Smith treatment he could end up as a very nice backup. That said, his size and speed would be amazing at WR.

hawknation2014

Reaction score
This is a deep draft. There will be someone with a Fourth or Fifth Round grade who will be there in the Seventh Round. Schenider said Doug Baldwin had a Fifth Round grade. Hopefully, they can snatch those guys up in free agency.

HawkWow

Reaction score
hawknation2014":3kof372m said:
TwilightError":3kof372m said:
Pryor actually played some receiver at College. Even caught some TD passes. Also he played Basketball, So maybe he has already good hands?

3 catches, 2 TD receptions in his career at Ohio State. Here is the first one coming in the Fiesta Bowl when Pryor was a true freshman:

[youtube]lrZYZktLdns[/youtube]

That's what Brandon Coleman would look like if he knew how to catch a football and some in here want to use our 1st on him (!). I'm not one that is overly confident in position changes but if that's where Pete wants to try Pryor, I'd sooner give the 7th for him than (even) a 3rd for Coleman plus you get the added value of a Kaep / Cam clone in practice. Last pick of the draft? We're off to a damn good start, IMO.

UK_Seahawk

Reaction score
seedhawk":3gr8k09e said:
Did we invest this years 7th round pick in Pryor so we don't mess up our comp picks next year?

I'm surprised no-one has picked up on this point more as it's exactly what I was thinking. If Pryor was released he becomes a free agent and thus assumingly would be included in the matrix that determines comp picks for next years draft.

I believe SF traded for Gabbert and Martin precisely to avoid complications with comp picks.

Of course trading negates the use of the waiver wire, I'm assuming this is still in play even now?