Shead Released

RussB

Reaction score
WindCityHawk":2cl73mlj said:
What the hell secondary players are Pete and John so high on that they feel comfortable just jettisoning three of our corners?

Tenor
They are gonna draft a DB in the first.

hawknation2018

Reaction score
RussB":wijrxn5j said:
WindCityHawk":wijrxn5j said:
What the hell secondary players are Pete and John so high on that they feel comfortable just jettisoning three of our corners?

Tenor

Shaquill Griffin
Justin Coleman (RFA)
Byron Maxwell's return (will need to re-sign him)
Deandre Elliott

That could be a very good group. We'll see. Are we taking Maxwell's re-signing for granted?

RussB

Reaction score
hawknation2018":32fucw4e said:
RussB":32fucw4e said:
WindCityHawk":32fucw4e said:

Tenor

Shaquill Griffin
Justin Coleman (RFA)
Deandre Elliott

That could be a very good group. We'll see. Are we taking Maxwell's re-signing for granted?
I think they are really counting on Shaq to become the #1 guy and take over. Maxwell will probably be resigned along with Coleman.

My guess is they are trying to retool the secondary and that they will go after a strong safety. If Derwin james or another top safety prospect is available they will take him. Letting go all these vets on D really just says they are rebuilding the defense. They might even pull something unexpected and try to trade up to take a guy like minkah fitzpatrick or james.

AgentDib

Reaction score
Seems like a few here didn't bother to read the info.

Shead was going to be a UFA this season but his contract was extended a year when the Hawks kept him on the PUP. This is a common scenario that the NFLPA and agents tend to litigate and win, because it has to do with whether the player could have played.

The Hawks could argue Shead was only at 90% 10 months after an ACL, but the NFLPA would bring up Pete's comments throughout about how well the rehab was going, and argue that we only activated Shead going into week 16 because McDougald was questionable with a knee injury. Maybe we win that and maybe we lose it, but either way you don't want the way you are handling your injury report/IR/PUP to be scrutinized too closely by a third party.

It's very common for a team to dodge litigation on a fringe player like Shead by releasing him now and then potentially re-signing him depending on the interest he gets from other teams. If somebody else signs him then it's not a huge loss, and if not we can get him in at a better number going forwards than if we won a case against him to play out a single season.

chris98251

Reaction score
RussB":35hpxune said:
hawknation2018":35hpxune said:
RussB":35hpxune said:
WindCityHawk":35hpxune said:

Tenor

Shaquill Griffin
Justin Coleman (RFA)
Deandre Elliott

I think they are really counting on Shaq to become the #1 guy and take over. Maxwell will probably be resigned along with Coleman.

My guess is they are trying to retool the secondary and that they will go after a strong safety. If Derwin james or another top safety prospect is available they will take him. Letting go all these vets on D really just says they are rebuilding the defense. They might even pull something unexpected and try to trade up to take a guy like minkah fitzpatrick or james.

Kams replacement = Shaquem Griffin

Now if you move on from Earl we will need to find speed and James could be the guy.

adeltaY

Reaction score
chris98251":36x63pw1 said:
adeltaY":36x63pw1 said:
Right now the only healthy corner we have rostered is Shaq....

I really like Shead and hope we can get him back on the cheap. If not, go out and make some money my dude!

Inaccurate, we have several that are not named Sherman and Shead.

Deandre Elliot and Neiko Thorpe? The only proven CB we have rostered is Shaq Griffin.

chris98251

Reaction score
adeltaY":2xhkxk1j said:
chris98251":2xhkxk1j said:
adeltaY":2xhkxk1j said:
Right now the only healthy corner we have rostered is Shaq....

I really like Shead and hope we can get him back on the cheap. If not, go out and make some money my dude!

Inaccurate, we have several that are not named Sherman and Shead.

Deandre Elliot and Neiko Thorpe? The only proven CB we have rostered is Shaq Griffin.

That is not what you said.
Mike Tyson
Akeem King

Are also possibilities, now we know we will bring in F.A. guys also Maxwell is a probability. The closet isn't as bare as we first see, but proven starters no, then again we are trying to get younger so I expect a lot of traffic at that position till we find someone Pete likes.

adeltaY

Reaction score
Yes I should've said what I did on my second post. Shaq is the only corner we have who we know can play well. Everyone else is coming off injury, practice squad, or mainly special teams.

KARAVARUS

Reaction score
AgentDib":2y37yt3q said:
Seems like a few here didn't bother to read the info.

Shead was going to be a UFA this season but his contract was extended a year when the Hawks kept him on the PUP. This is a common scenario that the NFLPA and agents tend to litigate and win, because it has to do with whether the player could have played.

The Hawks could argue Shead was only at 90% 10 months after an ACL, but the NFLPA would bring up Pete's comments throughout about how well the rehab was going, and argue that we only activated Shead going into week 16 because McDougald was questionable with a knee injury. Maybe we win that and maybe we lose it, but either way you don't want the way you are handling your injury report/IR/PUP to be scrutinized too closely by a third party.

It's very common for a team to dodge litigation on a fringe player like Shead by releasing him now and then potentially re-signing him depending on the interest he gets from other teams. If somebody else signs him then it's not a huge loss, and if not we can get him in at a better number going forwards than if we won a case against him to play out a single season.

Great info, minus the condescension that prefaced it. Still, thanks for the info.

massari

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/974052878506749952[/tweet]

MrThortan

Reaction score
Yeah wanted Shead back. Good for him for getting himself a deal

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
I'm clearly in the minority, and that's fine. He's an average player who can't stay healthy. Much like Lane.
Not a big loss at all.

HawkerD

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":195mzeo1 said:
I'm clearly in the minority, and that's fine. He's an average player who can't stay healthy. Much like Lane.
Not a big loss at all.
This^. The Shead love affair is only because he wears the blue & action green. An NFL caliber player for sure but he is depth and the lions are over paying (by a lot!)

chrispy

Reaction score
Stemming from the PUP situation and agreement to release, does this count as a free agent loss or as a cut? I'd think it's important to distinguish in order to determine comp picks next year?