Should LB Mychal Kendricks be resigned?.

Should LB Mychal Kendricks be resigned?

• Yes

Votes: 36 58.1%
  • No

Votes: 15 24.2%
  • Maybe

Votes: 11 17.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

chris98251

Reaction score
Tical21":2vs2x1jz said:
I kinda think the league has seen the last of Josh Gordon. Dude got suspended for the playoffs...and you want him back?

Yes he is a difference maker and a good kid or young man and team mate, he has demons yes but is trying to deal with them, as accepted responsibility and seeking help.

He is a public figure, he is getting scrutiny due to that. How many of us can look around where we work and say everyone is without fault or demons.

Appyhawk

Reaction score
Ranch in Flint Hills of Kansas, formerly NW Montan
Make that two Yes votes for keeping Gordon.
Although I'll hedge by saying if we pick happen to pick up one more gem like DK in the draft I'm good going that route.
As for Kendricks I agree his performance did not seem to warrant Pete's pre-season exuberance about us having the premier linebacking crew in the league. Worse yet, when Barton filled his spot things got even worse. So that's kind of a potential problem area IMO, just not a problem nearly on the level of our D Line or CB situation.

chris98251

Reaction score
Kendricks performance by the end of the year was affected by a leg or hip injury, I know season end we didn't have hardly anyone that was playing at their best, Barton was in some times but Kendicks finally had to give up the ghost to Shaq II for pass rush and Barton ended the season for him. Our depth abysmal last year really as far as edge.

Smellyman

Reaction score
He's proven and would be pretty cheap and the Hawks have a ton of space.

It would be a mistake to kick that to the curb on a team with so many talent gaps on D

KiwiHawk

Reaction score
SantaClaraHawk":2xdn05fp said:
My original reply got borked by the DB malfunction so here it is again:

Yeah. I'd invite Gordon back. In fact, if we can sign him and pay him zero and have no roster or salary issues until his issues with NFL are resolved, it's a zero risk for us.

Whereas with Kendricks, it's not a risk. It's a certainty. Plus we have the younger and cheaper Barton behind him. I'm not against signing him possibly as a bridge piece closer to vet minimum necessarily, but it'll be inevitable that we have to move on from 30+ at this position.
Since you seem to know more than we do, what is his sentence?

I've read it can be anything from a fine to time served to probation to a prison term, depending on how lenient the judge is with the mitigating circumstances, but that it has not yet been handed down, which means, to me anyway, that it isn't in fact a certainty.

As an example, his co-defendant was sentenced to three years' probation. That sentence would not stop Kendricks from playing at all, assuming he would be permitted to cross state lines as part of the terms of his probation. Sure, there would be risk of violation landing him back in legal trouble, but his crime was insider trading and he hasn't shown any sign of additional offending to date so there's no reason to assume he would get into trouble.

But you seem to know more, so please let us know the terms of his sentence, how long it is, and what the start date is, so we can make a better determination.

OP
OP
S

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
This article goes into what federal guidelines recommend for Kendricks' offense:

https://www.fieldgulls.com/2019/1/17/18 ... conspiracy

Given the amount that he stole or profited from, he's looking at actual prison time according to the guidelines. Might a judge sentence him based on the lower end of said guidelines? Sure, but it would still involve federal prison time.

Probation would be highly unlikely given these guidelines, but if it happened, it'd likely involve an ankle bracelet. He cannot play in NFL with one of those on.

So tl;dr, this is NOT a situation analogous to a borderline DUI that gets pleaded down to wet reckless. The options for pleading down were over with the conviction. What he is now facing, with this conviction, is a sentence that most likely will conform to federal guidelines as most federal sentences do.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
SantaClaraHawk":1erk5wu7 said:
This article goes into what federal guidelines recommend for Kendricks' offense:

https://www.fieldgulls.com/2019/1/17/18 ... conspiracy

Given the amount that he stole or profited from, he's looking at actual prison time according to the guidelines. Might a judge sentence him based on the lower end of said guidelines? Sure, but it would still involve federal prison time.

Probation would be highly unlikely given these guidelines, but if it happened, it'd likely involve an ankle bracelet. He cannot play in NFL with one of those on.

So tl;dr, this is NOT a situation analogous to a borderline DUI that gets pleaded down to wet reckless. The options for pleading down were over with the conviction. What he is now facing, with this conviction, is a sentence that most likely will conform to federal guidelines as most federal sentences do.

More analogous would be his charges as compared to.his co-defendant.

olyfan63

Reaction score
Smellyman":1iuw0ck2 said:
He's proven and would be pretty cheap and the Hawks have a ton of space.
It would be a mistake to kick that to the curb on a team with so many talent gaps on D

THIS. When we are running out of healthy bodies around Week 16, 17, we need depth. Start Barton, play BBK, play Sackquem, whatever, but keep Kendricks around and available assuming he makes the team and is a good cap value.

Tical21

Reaction score
Bringing back mediocre veterans is an easy way to get really stagnant, and a front office that values the draft shouldn't get in the habit of doing so.

Teahawks

Reaction score
It seemed like they used him better in 2018. I remember him blitzing more.

I voted no, but if he was actually healthy enough to start the season, and he signed for cheap, then ok.

DJrmb

Reaction score
Teahawks":17qrdy0k said:
It seemed like they used him better in 2018. I remember him blitzing more.

I voted no, but if he was actually healthy enough to start the season, and he signed for cheap, then ok.

I agree, I would have expected them to blitz him more. I also wasn't a fan of keeping the 3 LBs on the field at all times (at least not in base formation). I was hoping they'd play a little more nickle and give Kendricks a look sliding down to the speed rush DE spot.

I guess bring him back if he's cheap, but if they do I hope they play more nickle and don't slip back into playing 3 LBs in base all the time.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
AgentDib":2anoh09j said:
SantaClaraHawk":2anoh09j said:
Yeah. I'd invite Gordon back. In fact, if we can sign him and pay him zero and have no roster or salary issues until his issues with NFL are resolved, it's a zero risk for us. Whereas with Kendricks, it's not a risk. It's a certainty.
I would suggest instead it is the same concept with both players and the main difference is that you simply like Gordon more - which is fine but a different discussion from the angle you are taking here. Consider that Kendricks likely has the higher expected snap count next season.

Josh Gordon may not play 16 games for us, but the possibility of him contributing in some key games next season is worth the potential organizational headache of pursuing him if the price is right. That logic applies equally to any player with potential injury/legal/substance concerns provided they do not negatively affect the locker room or involve a moral issue that the team views as a deal breaker regardless of performance.
Hit the nail on the head.