So who ends up trading for Sherman

Hyak

Reaction score
The irony is that Sherman is somewhat of a system player himself, which is one reason why a bunch of teams are not clamoring for him.

He's best fit is here but he's the one that asked to be traded. I really do think this is more about him wanting a new contract and knowing that his chances of getting it here are slim and none.

The whole Bevell thing is just easy low hanging fruit to divert attention from the real reason.

LolaRox

Reaction score
None of us know how he would do outside of Pete's system. I think he'll do fine, others may disagree.

Unless you have an inside track to John/Sherm, how do you know (1) that teams are not clamoring for him and (2) if not, that that is the reason (3) Sherm asked to be traded?

Maybe I read your post wrong, but you stated those things as facts, do you have some inside information?

chris98251

Reaction score
Chargers, 49ers, Raiders, Falcons are all teams using the Seattle System right now, Panthers and I think may as well and the Jags did but I think based on the purge there they are doing something else, Bradley at Chargers, Norton at Raiders, and Shanahan bringing it to 49ers from Falcons who have Quinn.

Those teams I think right away could use Sherman for both his play and ability to get the rest of the secondary up to speed on things.

We can throw in the Patriots only because Belichek adapts to a players strengths so well for what ever system he wants to use.

TwilightError

Reaction score
Chargers could use a local star in their new hometown. It's probably not the contender sherman hopes though.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
chris98251":3fb8axtn said:
Chargers, 49ers, Raiders, Falcons are all teams using the Seattle System right now, Panthers and I think may as well and the Jags did but I think based on the purge there they are doing something else, Bradley at Chargers, Norton at Raiders, and Shanahan bringing it to 49ers from Falcons who have Quinn.

Those teams I think right away could use Sherman for both his play and ability to get the rest of the secondary up to speed on things.

We can throw in the Patriots only because Belichek adapts to a players strengths so well for what ever system he wants to use.

Packers?

Lots of cap space.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":3lidkrxh said:
I side with Pete on this one, because for 40 years of coaching he's been one of the most fair and player friendly coaches in the history of the game. So if this relationship with Sherman isn't working out, it's on Sherman's unwillingness to do what is expected of him.
Agreed.
I like the hell out of Sherman's play, but I love Pete Carroll's Coaching philosophies.
Pete has shown that he can bend with the wind, Sherman needs to quit flying off the handle, and reign in on the PUBLICLY displayed shit-storms.
Passion is one thing, but Sherman has a problem with controlling his emotions, hell, there were several instances where his buddies had to talk him down off his tantrums on the sidelines.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Every season the Patriots rid their team of malcontents, players often with real talent but who are not prepared to buy in or who no longer buy in to what the coaches are selling. Each season those players are replaced albeit at time by players who are often not as talented but their team keeps moving forward. if Sherman wants out and the team gets a fair price for him, thanks for your service and the memories but see you around Richard.

Rule 1 - protect the team.

Can't live with the rule and you will find yourself elsewhere.

chris98251

Reaction score
Uncle Si":2ndmzjdz said:
chris98251":2ndmzjdz said:

Packers?

Lots of cap space.

They don't use our scheme that I am aware of. I was looking at teams that have adapted to our system or close to it.

RiverDog

Reaction score
Northwest Seahawk":25a8j8kq said:
SoulfishHawk":25a8j8kq said:
Screaming at coaches and teammates on the sidelines is just plain unacceptable. He never ONCE owned up to it, at least publically. Then that whole thing where he said he would ruin Moore's career, and flat out said it never happened. And people call Russ strange. Dude was out in left field for a good portion of the season.
Amazing player, but he is NOT a coach and not the most important player on the team. He is not above the team or the rules.

Moore's a tool and has no place in this conversation. Sherman's on the field antics are fair game and disappointing to say the least.

Call him a tool if you like, you're entitled to your opinion, but the fact is that Jim Moore has been around for a long, long time. He's a local reporter, covering a multitude of sports in the state for several decades. That alone should have accorded him some respect.

Having been on the local sports scene for as long as Moore has, it wouldn't surprise me if there were a few people in the Hawk's FO, perhaps even the old man himself (Paul Allen), that have developed a personal friendship with Moore and that Sherman's threat might have had more of an impact on them than it would have had it been directed at an FNG. So absolutely he belongs in the conversation.

warden

Reaction score
Nobody trades for Sherman, he will remain a Seahawk for another year

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
RiverDog":3sabjgtr said:
Northwest Seahawk":3sabjgtr said:
SoulfishHawk":3sabjgtr said:
Screaming at coaches and teammates on the sidelines is just plain unacceptable. He never ONCE owned up to it, at least publically. Then that whole thing where he said he would ruin Moore's career, and flat out said it never happened. And people call Russ strange. Dude was out in left field for a good portion of the season.
Amazing player, but he is NOT a coach and not the most important player on the team. He is not above the team or the rules.

Moore's a tool and has no place in this conversation. Sherman's on the field antics are fair game and disappointing to say the least.

Call him a tool if you like, you're entitled to your opinion, but the fact is that Jim Moore has been around for a long, long time. He's a local reporter, covering a multitude of sports in the state for several decades. That alone should have accorded him some respect.

Having been on the local sports scene for as long as Moore has, it wouldn't surprise me if there were a few people in the Hawk's FO, perhaps even the old man himself (Paul Allen), that have developed a personal friendship with Moore and that Sherman's threat might have had more of an impact on them than it would have had it been directed at an FNG. So absolutely he belongs in the conversation.
You are entitled to your opinion as well, but just because someone "has been around forever" doesn't make them good at their job.

Boeing is full of "Jim Moore's" as is my current day job. Seniority doesn't make one great at their job and IMHO Moore is very very poor at his. I know he has connections with a certain unnamed OC, that's why he sticks up for him like he is a relative, so it's not a stretch to see why he (Moore) has it out for Sherm.

If Mr Allen demanded that Sherm "be gone" he wouldn't be here.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":cz9xaw3k said:
RiverDog":cz9xaw3k said:
Northwest Seahawk":cz9xaw3k said:
SoulfishHawk":cz9xaw3k said:

You are entitled to your opinion as well, but just because someone "has been around forever" doesn't make them good at their job.

Boeing is full of "Jim Moore's" as is my current day job. Seniority doesn't make one great at their job and IMHO Moore is very very poor at his. I know he has connections with a certain unnamed OC, that's why he sticks up for him like he is a relative, so it's not a stretch to see why he (Moore) has it out for Sherm.

"You know" or are you just hypothesizing again?

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
I'm leaning towards wanting Sherman traded. His antics have grown tiresome and the thought of getting younger while saving 14 million of cap space sure is enticing.

semiahmoo

Reaction score
jammerhawk":lmdojcjq said:
Every season the Patriots rid their team of malcontents, players often with real talent but who are not prepared to buy in or who no longer buy in to what the coaches are selling. Each season those players are replaced albeit at time by players who are often not as talented but their team keeps moving forward. if Sherman wants out and the team gets a fair price for him, thanks for your service and the memories but see you around Richard.

Rule 1 - protect the team.

Can't live with the rule and you will find yourself elsewhere.

Well said. It is one of the things that separates good teams from the great ones. The Seahawks have not been a great team the last couple seasons and the trend is downward unless corrections are made.

That said, I'm not sure teams want Sherman that much at his price. He's high maintenance, getting older, and chance of injury is relatively high. He might have a couple good seasons left, but not dominant ones anymore IMO and then the decline will be swift - and that's if he avoids serious injury.

He was never fast at his position. He was physical and smart. Losing another half-step though...he's not smart enough to make up for that deficit.

Still say he likely stays. If his contract was a few million less he'd probably have been gone already.

If he does stay, hope he can be professional about it and not continue being such a distraction. (And I say that as someone who shares his frustration with some of the team's coaching staff.)

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":25dzsoip said:
Sports Hernia":25dzsoip said:
RiverDog":25dzsoip said:
SoulfishHawk":25dzsoip said:

"You know" or are you just hypothesizing again?
Moore said on his own radio show he is "friendly" with the OC. Sorry if that doesn't fit with your narrative.
My post was a shot at a local troglodyte radio host, not whom you are always defending.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
It's likely Moore is on friendly terms with all the longtime members of our coaching staff.

getnasty

Reaction score
Like Moore or not his question was fair and Shermans response was embarrassing. I don't think he gets traded and hope that he doesn't. I just hope he comes in to this year focused on football and doesn't bring any drama to the team. I have no problem with him getting after players on other teams but stop fighting with players and coaches on your own team. Winning cures all

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Just another way to look at this:

While Sherman's outbursts may make the decision easier, maybe the Seahawks see their window as being longer than the next two years, and that they're not going to resign Sherman.

If they think he's peaked or about to start declining (or like everyone else who runs a base cover 3 they're starting to incorporate in more man to man --which they are -- and know Sherman doesn't excel in that scheme) they're simply trying to get assets for him before his value washes away.

Letting go of guys a year or two before they were done for instead of s year or two after was how the 49ers of the late 80s and early 90s were able to stack championships across different star players. When they moved three hall of famers in Montana, Rice, and Lott before they were done fans couldn't believe it, but in retrospect it was the right strategy.

Or maybe Sherman is Charles Haley, and still in his prime but just simply too crazy to be part of the team. (Anyone wanna hear the story about Haley and Montana? It's an all time classic in craziness :D )

nash72

Reaction score
jammerhawk":1x2ti3z7 said:
Every season the Patriots rid their team of malcontents, players often with real talent but who are not prepared to buy in or who no longer buy in to what the coaches are selling. Each season those players are replaced albeit at time by players who are often not as talented but their team keeps moving forward.

Bill Belichick is the biggest reason it works. We dont have a Bill Belichick. Sherman takes an entire side of the field away at times. Thinking we wont suffer greatly if he is traded is wishful thinking.

Jville

Reaction score
What we have with the Seahawks is a win forever goal and program.

Latest posts