Spoon is back

keasley45

Reaction score
I hope he's past his injury.

They gave him a solid 4 weeks. Thats a positive. Just depends on his body and how well he prepares and maintains it - warm ups, stetching, post workout and game treatments, prep regimen, etc. The great thing is that hes not a huge guy so theres less mass for his legs to stop, start and move around in non contact situations (when most hamstring injuries happen).

By comparison, Shawn Springs had borderline chronic hammies. he was incredibly explosive, twitchy but was 20 lbs heavier than Spoon. Makes a difference.

But on the flip, i have a feeling that Spoon's slight build is going to be a potential issue with injury in the NFL, unless his frame is capable of carrying and sustaining 10% more weight than what he has now.

ET 3 was about the same height, but 30 pounds heavier at the combine. i cant find a great comp for Spoon in terms of play style and physical characteristics.

Spoon is about the size of Kelly Jennings (gulp). Not exactly the profile for a punishing run stopping nickel corner. At least not one who's body lasts for more than a few seasons.

SNDavidson

Reaction score
I think Witherspoon will add 8-12 pounds by next season, and then he'll be fine, I have not watched his tape just the splash plays, he must know how to go for ankles on big backs and such at this point right?

morgulon1

Reaction score
We all hope so. What is his size in comparison to Earl Thomas?

Earl was a bad dude but he got trucked
Sometimes 😂

bileever

Reaction score
We all hope so. What is his size in comparison to Earl Thomas?

Earl was a bad dude but he got trucked
Sometimes 😂
Earl weighed a little more than 200 pounds, even though he was only 5' 10". Witherspoon weighs 180.

morgulon1

Reaction score
They gave him a solid 4 weeks. Thats a positive. Just depends on his body and how well he prepares and maintains it - warm ups, stetching, post workout and game treatments, prep regimen, etc. The great thing is that hes not a huge guy so theres less mass for his legs to stop, start and move around in non contact situations (when most hamstring injuries happen).

By comparison, Shawn Springs had borderline chronic hammies. he was incredibly explosive, twitchy but was 20 lbs heavier than Spoon. Makes a difference.

But on the flip, i have a feeling that Spoon's slight build is going to be a potential issue with injury in the NFL, unless his frame is capable of carrying and sustaining 10% more weight than what he has now.

ET 3 was about the same height, but 30 pounds heavier at the combine. i cant find a great comp for Spoon in terms of play style and physical characteristics.

Spoon is about the size of Kelly Jennings (gulp). Not exactly the profile for a punishing run stopping nickel corner. At least not one who's body lasts for more than a few seasons.
I wish I would've seen your comment first before replying.

bileever

Reaction score
I wouldn't be overly concerned with Witherspoon's size. The average weight for an NFL corner is about 193 pounds. Riq Woolen is one of the heaviest CBs in the league at 210. There are a few CBs who weigh less than Witherspoon.

Before Pete Carroll, the average height of an NFL corner was 5'10" or 5'11". After the success of the LOB, the copycat league started looking for bigger CBs. Obviously, even Pete is rethinking this.

OP
OP
Bobblehead

Bobblehead

Reaction score
I wouldn't be overly concerned with Witherspoon's size. The average weight for an NFL corner is about 193 pounds. Riq Woolen is one of the heaviest CBs in the league at 210. There are a few CBs who weigh less than Witherspoon.

Before Pete Carroll, the average height of an NFL corner was 5'10" or 5'11". After the success of the LOB, the copycat league started looking for bigger CBs. Obviously, even Pete is rethinking this.

I don't think the size matters in as much as it is the intesity and ferocity in which he plays with that worries me.. Adams is a bigger guy and plays a similar style and he's barely able to stay on the field.

Seahawker

Reaction score
Can't wait to see our #5 pick make his debut, I expect big things.

Ken Easley 1981 #4 overall.
AFC defensive rookie of the year.
1984 NFL defensive player of the year- 10 INT.
HOF

NO PRESSURE.

James in PA

Reaction score
Great news but he's not playing week 1. Pete has always been overly cautious with injuries. Hoping to see him in week 2.

Kamcussionator

Reaction score
Can't wait to see our #5 pick make his debut, I expect big things.

Ken Easley 1981 #4 overall.
AFC defensive rookie of the year.
1984 NFL defensive player of the year- 10 INT.
HOF

NO PRESSURE.
I wouldn't get your hopes up. He didn't stand out in preseason. We'll see if he can hold Higbee under 100 yards in week 1...

keasley45

Reaction score
I don't think the size matters in as much as it is the intesity and ferocity in which he plays with that worries me.. Adams is a bigger guy and plays a similar style and he's barely able to stay on the field.

That's right. But unfortunately, they didn't draft him for his coverage ability. It was his nose for the ball and aggressive style.

Hoping he holds up!

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
What?

The draft class leader in PFF coverage grade, Witherspoon allowed just 35.5% of the 62 passes thrown into his coverage to be caught, with none of the 22 receptions he allowed resulting in a touchdown. His three interceptions were tied for 10th-most in the class, while his 14 pass breakups led draft-eligible players at the position.

Shaz Magoon

Reaction score
I have zero faith he's gonna play a full season and even remotely warrant where he was drafted

keasley45

Reaction score
What?

The draft class leader in PFF coverage grade, Witherspoon allowed just 35.5% of the 62 passes thrown into his coverage to be caught, with none of the 22 receptions he allowed resulting in a touchdown. His three interceptions were tied for 10th-most in the class, while his 14 pass breakups led draft-eligible players at the position.

yup. but his overall evaluation and critique, absent the 'headhunter clips' isnt as impressive. Not saying he isnt a solid corner. But the thing that sets him apart is his instinctual play and aggresiveness. As a cover corner outide of zone, hes not a top 5 selection... i dont think. Which is probably part of the reason hes inside seeing more nickel. Let him hunt out of a spot where he's less on an island.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score

My immediate comp for Witherspoon was
Antoine Winfield, SR.

Win SR was listed at a puny 5’9, 176 at his combine eventually it felt like he topped off closer to 190 but pfref only lists him at 180. 14 years, 191 games, 173 starts.

Last edited: