Stanford vs Oregon

fenderbender123

Reaction score
kearly":2ipwpd13 said:
Most of Stanford's team was recruited by Harbaugh. In a few years will there be a physical enough team to stop Oregon? I kinda doubt it..

Oregon and Stanford both lost their head coaches, so I'm not sure why one would lose it's physicality and the other wouldn't.

EverydayImRusselin

Reaction score
cesame":36l3hiy2 said:
If the playoffs started this year Oregon would still have chance. As of right now though there's basically none.

Looking like a game vs Baylor in the Fiesta Bowl

Would they?

Alabama
FSU
OSU
Baylor

and if one of them lose
Stanford

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
kearly":20uh1lgz said:
JSeahawks":20uh1lgz said:
This game was decided by missed opportunities in the first half. Left at least 17 points on the board. Honestly, Ducks can only blame themselves. (Not to take anything away from Stanford who played great).

Condolences, J.

That said, I don't think you can look at this game and play "woulda shoulda." I think the blocked FG-TD plus the onside kick for a TD more than made up for those missed opportunities early in the game. Stanford kicked butt, and frankly I don't think the final score did them justice. Really a shame that they lost to Utah.

I was on my phone last night, so I didn't have time to respond to this one, but I think there's at least some of the woulda should game for the Ducks.

These plays come to mind:

Underthrow to Huff. That was an easy touchdown and should've been converted if Mariota doesn't turn into a pumpkin.

DAT fumble. It's a toss up here, but he has to have better ball security. Also, I watch him now and don't think NFL talent (the same as Mariota). He seems to have little awareness.

The Hogan 3rd down run on the 6 (?) where 3 guys have him dead to rights. That was a backbreaker.

Mariota fumble. Completely stupid play. He can just toss the ball out of bounds and start over, but he completes one of the dumbest decisions I've ever seen him make.

This is not to discredit Stanford. They played a near perfect game. They needed to slow death the Ducks by keeping them arrhythmic (and off the field), and they deserved the win because they bullied the hell out of Oregon. However, I think those 4 plays change the complexion of the second half, and especially the 4th quarter. Also, your description of Mariota is spot on, I think - and that's sad for me to say because I've been worried about his inability under pressure since last year. :(

JGreen79

Reaction score
So the morning after I thought of a crazy idea that would never happen, however is kind of fun to think about. Playing against an offense like Stanford who as J said seemed to get a first down every 3rd play while running off absurd amounts of time off the clock each drive leading to some kind of points. Does anyone think it would be a viable strategy for an offense like Oregon's to never punt( go for it on 4th down regardless of field position) and onside kick every time?

My thoughts on this were... If you shorten the field for Stanford they can't run as many plays per drive, thus less time as well before they are forced to give the ball back to Oregon by either the rare punt or, what was last night the inevitable score. With an offense like Oregon's where the number of plays ran matter more than anything it seems like it would at least be worth a shot. Like I said it's crazy and would never happen, but thinking about it is kind of fun.

Yes of course if Oregon executes better in the redzone and Mariota wasn't scared to run, etc... all this wouldn't be necessary.

OP
OP
JSeahawks

JSeahawks

Reaction score
The thing that kind of pissed me off last night was that the ducks never got out of their base 3-4 defense. It was pretty obvious what Stanfords plan was right from the start, why not go into a goalline type defense? Put all your biggest, strongest players on the field instead of letting Stanford pound away 4 yards at a time against 1 nose tackle type and then a bunch of smaller quick d'linemen and linebackers.

Also, sounds like Mariota was playing with a strained MCL, which was the reason for the knee brace, and probably the reason he didnt take off and run more often, which was frustrating me. Eugene radio said he's very questionable for next week vs Utah. (which sucks cuz i'll be at that game).

Tical21

Reaction score
It was considerably better for the Huskies if Oregon would have won last night. And it would have been a fantastic thing for the Pac-12 if Oregon had a team playing for the title. That said, watching the utter domination was far more joyful than the Huskies getting into a better bowl game.

cesame

Reaction score
All it takes is an Oregon loss for the Beaver and Husky fans to come out from hiding. Been seeing it all day.

It's funny because when either of them lose it's not even a thought to Duck fans. Couldn't care less, and that's with Oregon State losing to FCS teams.

I guess I just don't get this whole cheer against Oregon more than cheer for your own team.

hawk45

Reaction score
How disappointing and hollow will it be for Oregon if they never win a championship during their current era of dominance. All props to them for killing the rest of the conference for a decade, but it still has to feel like a pretty big fail if they can't get it all the way done.

HawkWow

Reaction score
cesame":1t59oyca said:
All it takes is an Oregon loss for the Beaver and Husky fans to come out from hiding. Been seeing it all day.

It's funny because when either of them lose it's not even a thought to Duck fans. Couldn't care less, and that's with Oregon State losing to FCS teams.

I guess I just don't get this whole cheer against Oregon more than cheer for your own team.

Excellent point. In all of my years as a dawg fan, not once have I witnessed the UO fans celebrate our loss. Hell, all I hear is praise from UO fans...never a disparaging word. The UO fans have to be the classiest fans in college football. All that "Decade of dominance" stuff was just those classy fans being playful and when they cheer the injuries of opposing players, they're really just masking their tears. I know for fact most UO fans actually root for UW on a regular basis. We are all like one happy family, UO and UW. Sure wish I could get my hands on one of those "We want Bama" T-shirts. I would wear that with pride in support of our humble brothers in Eugene.

HawkWow

Reaction score
hawk45":2wc2awt4 said:
How disappointing and hollow will it be for Oregon if they never win a championship during their current era of dominance. All props to them for killing the rest of the conference for a decade, but it still has to feel like a pretty big fail if they can't get it all the way done.

No Natty again. "The decade of dominance" still hasn't propelled them over UW in the bigger picture. And all that elitism and arrogance they saddled us with? Those must have been claims inspired by jealousy because the first chance UO got to be arrogant, they jumped in with both feet.

Unfortunately there are a few humble Duck fans....fans like our own JSEA, and that sorta sucks because while I rooted for UO last night, I should be enjoying this beat down and slamming the sh*t out of UO here today....which would be beyond easy, but I wont. I will reserve that for the next time you UO fans ridicule the Dawgs. Be prepared, because I have some serious firepower just dying to go in print. Winning championships isn't easy Duck fans. We know because in all of OUR dominant years, our Dawgs have only TWO.

Serious frikin' meltdown last night. VERY disappointed in UO's defense and special teams in particular. Out coached and played uninspired football. Huff bawling on the sideline told the story....they were a fragile football team last night.

Chapow

Reaction score
cesame":1z3ncmum said:

What complete and utter bullshit.

Look at any thread about UW and you'll see plenty of posts by Duck fans, usually taking little jabs, especially after a loss.

cesame

Reaction score
Chapow":lm5zyjjh said:
cesame":lm5zyjjh said:

Look at any thread about UW and you'll see plenty of posts by Duck fans, usually taking little jabs, especially after a loss.

This may come as a shock to you but this isn't the only place where college football is discussed.

It's a whole different level when the Ducks lose. I mean even in the post above my original post on this issue there was this:

That said, watching the utter domination was far more joyful than the Huskies getting into a better bowl game.

Sorry, but there's a lot of truth to what I said.

Beaver/Husky fans take just as much joy watching Oregon lose as they do their owns teams winning, and it really strikes me as odd. Is there really nothing exciting about your own program that an Oregon loss is celebrated that much?

When Oregon State or Washington lose it's not that big of deal. Really isn't.

OP
OP
JSeahawks

JSeahawks

Reaction score
kearly":1rcbjs61 said:
JSeahawks":1rcbjs61 said:
This game was decided by missed opportunities in the first half. Left at least 17 points on the board. Honestly, Ducks can only blame themselves. (Not to take anything away from Stanford who played great).

That said, I don't think you can look at this game and play "woulda shoulda." I think the blocked FG-TD plus the onside kick for a TD more than made up for those missed opportunities early in the game. Stanford kicked butt, and frankly I don't think the final score did them justice. Really a shame that they lost to Utah.

Not that it really matters because they kicked our ass with the ground and pound, but the more I think about it the more wrong I think you are. Change two plays in this game and I think the Ducks win by 30.

If the Ducks go up 14 points as they should have it changes the whole landscape and dynamic of the game. Stanford is no longer able to play the slow down ground and pound 3 yards at a time type game. Would have changed their entire game plan. They would have thrown more, been in more 2nd and 3rd and longs, shorter possessions and more possessions for the Ducks offense.

Once the chances were squandered and Stanford got the lead the Ducks had no chance, it was like a wrestler taking down a boxer and beating him on the ground. But if the Ducks had that 14 points, the wrestler never gets on the ground to begin with and the boxer just picks him apart.

I honestly believe that game was really close to being a Ducks blowout win. But, it wasn't, the Ducks squandered chances and they kicked our ass. Such is life.

HawkWow

Reaction score
Agreed. And one reason, despite this huge win, I'm still not sold on Stanford. They played their VERY best football last night but held their ass' til the final gun against a team playing their VERY worst football.

Stanford didn't do sh*t last night that they don't do every week. This win wasn't about what Stanford did...it was about what Oregon didn't do. That starts with some absolutely terrible coaching....in all 3 phases. Though I will concede that if Mariota was hurt coming in, the lack of designed runs for him now makes sense.

I don't want to piss all over Stanford's parade, as much as I hate them, so I will end this post now. That's the best I can offer them in way of respect.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
cesame":2oloryp1 said:

You are over-reacting bigtime. There are hardly any ha ha you lost posts coming from UW fans here. I don't get the whole "I have to root for everyone in the PAC-12 mentality", it's stupid IMHO. I am a UW fan and don't like the ducks or a majority of your fanbase, BUT I'd rather be in Oregon's shoes and be "in play" for a nation championship every year than UW's where we just flirt with .500 ball every year.

I Understand the frustration of getting knocked out of the NC race, but enjoy the ride as one of the better programs in the country. I remember when the UW was in that position long long long ago.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Tical21":2adjzj6x said:
It was considerably better for the Huskies if Oregon would have won last night. And it would have been a fantastic thing for the Pac-12 if Oregon had a team playing for the title. That said, watching the utter domination was far more joyful than the Huskies getting into a better bowl game.

Feels like the beginning if the end to me. Eerie similarities to the fall of UW (coaching changes, big game losses... Only thing missing is the sanctions).

These windows are only open for 4-5 years at a time. Did Oregons just shut?

Tical21

Reaction score
cesame":1twr0rfo said:
Chapow":1twr0rfo said:
cesame":1twr0rfo said:

This may come as a shock to you but this isn't the only place where college football is discussed.

It's a whole different level when the Ducks lose. I mean even in the post above my original post on this issue there was this:

That said, watching the utter domination was far more joyful than the Huskies getting into a better bowl game.

Sorry, but there's a lot of truth to what I said.

Beaver/Husky fans take just as much joy watching Oregon lose as they do their owns teams winning, and it really strikes me as odd. Is there really nothing exciting about your own program that an Oregon loss is celebrated that much?

When Oregon State or Washington lose it's not that big of deal. Really isn't.
Please tell me you're like 23 years old. There was a 20 year stretch when the Huskies were the big bad wolf in the Pacific Northwest and Oregon was below the level of an afterthought where the roles were exactly reversed. What do you think Oregon fans did/said when UW lost?

Go whine. Celebrate your one Rose Bowl, because we both know it won't be long until the tides have turned and Oregon will never be heard from again.

JSeahawks, two plays and win by 30? C'mon bro. That game was utterly dominated.

seahawk2k

Reaction score
Florida States window was open for twenty years, Nebraska's window was open for thirty, some programs just win. Florida State clawed at a title for years before winning. Some teams claw at that ceiling for years before getting there. One loss isn't a damnation of a program, once people start thinking about that, thats when things fall apart. It's a process either way.

I've never understand the need for teams to root against their rivals with the fervor they root for their own team. Its silly. Oregon did this with UW before the late 90's, WSU does it with the Huskies, Huskies do it with the Ducks, on and on.

OP
OP
JSeahawks

JSeahawks

Reaction score
Tical21":3uuu4hd5 said:
JSeahawks, two plays and win by 30? C'mon bro. That game was utterly dominated.

Yes it was. Because Stanford was allowed to play their style of game. They will dominate the Ducks at that game every single time.

If the Ducks are up 14 they are no longer able to play that game and it changes EVERYTHING. Then they play the Oregon style game.

Latest posts