State of the NFC West...

OP
OP
M

Marvin49

Reaction score
I'd like to thank b8rtm8nn, ramfan128, and Erebus for their contributions for the Cards, Rams, and Seahawks.

Sadly, there are a few trolls who are less interested in having an actual conversation and more interested in posting nonsense. I own part of that too of course by responding in kind. My bad.

It is interesting to me how fans of other teams view their own teams. Lord knows the Niners have their weaknesses so it's nice to see people talk about the perceived strengths and weaknesses of their own teams.

Good luck this year gents. Football Season is upon us. :D

chris98251

Reaction score
It would be nice if we could have one of these threads talking about our teams to educate everyone not turn into a dick measuring exercise.

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
Marvin49":2hq3zqa1 said:
Math is not your friend.

This is an ideal opportunity for you draft picks to come and shape the future of your franchise. And you've had to cut 6/11 before year one even begins.

Yeah...its also completely false.

They kept SEVEN of eleven. Not 5. Three of the 4 who were cut returned to the practice squad.

So they were cut?

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
Marvin49":2uiqbww2 said:
I'd like to thank b8rtm8nn, ramfan128, and Erebus for their contributions for the Cards, Rams, and Seahawks.

Sadly, there are a few trolls who are less interested in having an actual conversation and more interested in posting nonsense. I own part of that too of course by responding in kind. My bad.

It is interesting to me how fans of other teams view their own teams. Lord knows the Niners have their weaknesses so it's nice to see people talk about the perceived strengths and weaknesses of their own teams.

Good luck this year gents. Football Season is upon us. :D

Thank you Marvin. We appreciate the effort put forth in this endeavor. I did not have enough knowledge to spout information as you would like so left it to others more intelligent than me in this matter. I hope that your team and the other teams in our division can compete to make our division a strong one and a player for many years in the NFCCG.

May see you in Santa Clara on the first if you are going to the game.

MEOW.

OP
OP
M

Marvin49

Reaction score
chris98251":3pi9juun said:
It would be nice if we could have one of these threads talking about our teams to educate everyone not turn into a dick measuring exercise.

Yes. Yes it would.

OP
OP
M

Marvin49

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":2flc7b4v said:
Marvin49":2flc7b4v said:
Math is not your friend.

This is an ideal opportunity for you draft picks to come and shape the future of your franchise. And you've had to cut 6/11 before year one even begins.

Yeah...its also completely false.

They kept SEVEN of eleven. Not 5. Three of the 4 who were cut returned to the practice squad.

So they were cut?

They cut FOUR. Not SIX.

OP
OP
M

Marvin49

Reaction score
So 1 week in and the state of the NFC West. If we can keep this going that would be great. :)

Niners pretty much are who I thought they were. Thats not to say I expected a 28-0 win but more that their strengths are what I thought they were and their weaknesses are what I thought they were.

QB and WR are going to be issues all year. Gabbert ain't the guy. The missed bubble screen on 4th down brought on more than one four letter word from me. The third quarter was horrible because the Rams didn't respect the pass at all and put 10 men within 5 yards of the LOS. Of course the run game bogged down.

What was bad is that they couldn't start moving the ball through the air against that front until the 4th quarter.

O-Line, DBs, and D-Line were all the strengths that I expected...tho I didn't expect to that degree.

What I don't know yet is how much of that was 49er competence and how much was Rams incompetence. Probably a fair share of both.

Sorry Rams fans...that was rough, but you live to play another day. My guess is the second meeting will be quite different.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
My thoughts:

1. Arizona isn't going to rip off a huge division lead out of the gate.
2. SF still owns the Rams in much the same way they seem to own us.
3. Seattle still sleepwalking through the start of another campaign.

Niners young guys on defense looked great but completely untested. Still have to see them play against a team that can gash them properly for stacking the LOS.

Seattle has been trying since 2014 to find a way to improve TD scoring. Seems that search continues.

Arizona still looks affected by their late season collapse. Defensively seem to have some serious deficient parts that can be repeatedly exploited by scheme.

David Johnson could easily be the best RB in this division.

Seattle has been winning ugly for years. Looks like we still got it.

Has the real feel that whichever team plays the best in Nov/Dec will win the division. Doesn't look like any one team will have a huge advantage over the field early. Depth is probably going to win the division.

Really looks like this division is going to beat the snot out of each other. Will we all go 3-3 in division?

OP
OP
M

Marvin49

Reaction score
Attyla the Hawk":1kcugv4k said:
My thoughts:

1. Arizona isn't going to rip off a huge division lead out of the gate.
2. SF still owns the Rams in much the same way they seem to own us.
3. Seattle still sleepwalking through the start of another campaign.

Niners young guys on defense looked great but completely untested. Still have to see them play against a team that can gash them properly for stacking the LOS.

Seattle has been trying since 2014 to find a way to improve TD scoring. Seems that search continues.

Arizona still looks affected by their late season collapse. Defensively seem to have some serious deficient parts that can be repeatedly exploited by scheme.

David Johnson could easily be the best RB in this division.

Seattle has been winning ugly for years. Looks like we still got it.

Has the real feel that whichever team plays the best in Nov/Dec will win the division. Doesn't look like any one team will have a huge advantage over the field early. Depth is probably going to win the division.

Really looks like this division is going to beat the snot out of each other. Will we all go 3-3 in division?

Agreed on Niners youth on D.

Johnson is really good. Between Johnson, Gurley and Hyde the position is well represented in the NFC West. Curious who ends up standing out in Seattle.

xgeoff

Reaction score
Here is my take:

49ers: Will not be good until there is a change in Ownership and/or GM. Forget about the players, forget about the Coach, this team is dysfunctional at the top levels.

Rams: Will not be good until there is a change in Coach and possibly GM. The Rams have loads of talent, for which Les Snead deserves some credit. However, he missed badly on Goff. Mannion looks as good if not better and Wentz appears better than both of them. Fisher is a losing coach, and has proven that over and over again. With many different teams. I just don't see these guys going far with this Coach and the QB's they have on hand.

Cardinals: The Cards are actually really well positioned with respect to Coaching and Front Office. Arians is good, despite his poor taste in hats. Keim is really good. This team is talented and is well coached, despite the opening day egg that they laid against the Pats. However, Carson Palmer is getting older and this team has made a habit of getting it's ass kicked late in the season. Eventually they will need to find a successor to Palmer, but Keim seems to be a fairly good judge of talent. These guys are probably going to be good for a while and will consistently challenge for the NFC West title.

Seahawks: Like the Cards, the 'Hawks are set with respect to Coaching and Front Office. Add Russ Wilson and a perennially stingy D and the team is positioned to be good for a long time. What they need to overcome are some habitually slow starts and a questionable Offensive Line. If they can grab home field advantage in the playoffs, watch out cause it's going to be tough to stop them.

5_Golden_Rings

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":20hbs81a said:
Unless I'm mistaken, five of San Fran's 11 draft picks didn't make the final roster.

Just let that sink in for a moment.

All eight of Denver's draft picks made the cut. Eight of Seattle's ten picks made the cut (the two to go were the two 7th rounders).

It is frankly astonishing that Trent Baalke remains in a job. At a time when the Niners should be expecting an influx of young talent during a rebuilding year, more than half of their draft picks didn't make the 53 man roster.

And while Marvin is busy waxing lyrical about San Fran's O-line -- they traded up to draft Josh Garnett in round one. A plug in and play, ready made pro guard apparently. He can't even win the starting job vs Zane frigging Beadles.

Baalke -- the gift that keeps on giving (with Jed, of course).

If only someone had foreseen such misery a few years ago (well, at least someone on the list of approved writers).

You mean Zane frigging former Pro Bowl Guard Beadles.

Joshua Garnett was unable to attend part of camp due to school, so he came in behind everyone. But Beadles is not a bad guard.

xgeoff

Reaction score
5_Golden_Rings":hz03mhke said:
theENGLISHseahawk":hz03mhke said:
Unless I'm mistaken, five of San Fran's 11 draft picks didn't make the final roster.

All eight of Denver's draft picks made the cut. Eight of Seattle's ten picks made the cut (the two to go were the two 7th rounders).

It is frankly astonishing that Trent Baalke remains in a job. At a time when the Niners should be expecting an influx of young talent during a rebuilding year, more than half of their draft picks didn't make the 53 man roster.

And while Marvin is busy waxing lyrical about San Fran's O-line -- they traded up to draft Josh Garnett in round one. A plug in and play, ready made pro guard apparently. He can't even win the starting job vs Zane frigging Beadles.

If only someone had foreseen such misery a few years ago (well, at least someone on the list of approved writers).

Joshua Garnett was unable to attend part of camp due to school, so he came in behind everyone. But Beadles is not a bad guard.

To be fair, we had Jahri Evans who went to 6 Pro Bowls from 2009-2014 and we cut him. Not saying Beadles isn't good, cause I really don't know. Just saying that just because you made the Pro Bowl in 2013 (which is the last time Beadles did) doesn't mean you're good.

And I don't know how Garnett will pan out. I liked him because the Stanford O-line was so dominant and he's a local Seattle area kid. Then I watched him play at the Senior Bowl and I was not impressed.

Anyhow time will tell. The Niners O-line looked really good in the first half against the Rams, so we'll see.

b8rtm8nn

Reaction score
Cardinals:

Two biggest areas of concern above have proven legit - our CB2 is so raw, and our safety acquisition of Tyvon Branch has forced a shift to zone coverage as we re-group. That killed us against New England since the Cards primarily play man to man and several times the defense was confused (led to 2 TDs).

Special teams is a disaster - it is 1000% coaching as when BA took over, his new ST coach immediately dropped us from a consistent top 12 ST ranking to lower 20s ST ranking. Plus, our Pro Bowl ST player (who was supposed to be CB2) hasn't recovered from foot surgery.

Offense looked sluggish but not terrible (it was just week 1) - but you saw them turn it up as the game went on.

Defense - lost us this game outside of the bad snap from our rookie LS. Hoping the secondary can get in sync enough to keep us from losing games.

OP
OP
M

Marvin49

Reaction score
xgeoff":235ptg25 said:
5_Golden_Rings":235ptg25 said:
theENGLISHseahawk":235ptg25 said:

To be fair, we had Jahri Evans who went to 6 Pro Bowls from 2009-2014 and we cut him. Not saying Beadles isn't good, cause I really don't know. Just saying that just because you made the Pro Bowl in 2013 (which is the last time Beadles did) doesn't mean you're good.

And I don't know how Garnett will pan out. I liked him because the Stanford O-line was so dominant and he's a local Seattle area kid. Then I watched him play at the Senior Bowl and I was not impressed.

Anyhow time will tell. The Niners O-line looked really good in the first half against the Rams, so we'll see.

Beadles is really kinda the weak link on the O-Line. He was one of the lower ranked guards by PFF this week, but to be fair he spent most of his night against Aaron Donald.

I'd be surprised it Garnett didn't take that job before too long.

OP
OP
M

Marvin49

Reaction score
b8rtm8nn":11bkjj0l said:
Cardinals:

Two biggest areas of concern above have proven legit - our CB2 is so raw, and our safety acquisition of Tyvon Branch has forced a shift to zone coverage as we re-group. That killed us against New England since the Cards primarily play man to man and several times the defense was confused (led to 2 TDs).

Special teams is a disaster - it is 1000% coaching as when BA took over, his new ST coach immediately dropped us from a consistent top 12 ST ranking to lower 20s ST ranking. Plus, our Pro Bowl ST player (who was supposed to be CB2) hasn't recovered from foot surgery.

Offense looked sluggish but not terrible (it was just week 1) - but you saw them turn it up as the game went on.

Defense - lost us this game outside of the bad snap from our rookie LS. Hoping the secondary can get in sync enough to keep us from losing games.

Assuming Carson stays healthy, the offense will get going. Johnson is a stud and Fitz has still got it.

Hawks46

Reaction score
Well, after week 1 :

Seattle looks to start slow on offense again. Not a total surprise, as most of the players are playing new positions. We're not in that bad of shape, as they were better in pass protection than we thought they would be, but not as good in run blocking. Also, the coaching staff seems willing to go with a quick passing game when it looks like we need it. Defense looks more dominant and physical than last year, and our pass rush looks vastly improved.

SF: It's hard to tell if the Niners looked that good, or the Rams looked that bad. I'd go with somewhere in the middle. Kelly's teams always run well, but against that DL it's still a surprise. They have one thing in common with the Rams, and that's a complete lack of a vertical passing game. Teams can stack the box and sit on short routes and cause a ton of trouble. Not sure how they're going to score vs. Seattle, but it's early and we'll see. They're definitely better than last year, and show fire and motivation under their new coach.

LA: Well, that was a surprise. Fisher may be a dunce when it comes to putting an offense football team together, but he always has his guys prepared to play division rivals tough. I didn't think we'd see 28-0 from the Cards against them this year, much less the Niners. I thought their run game would be better. This offense is in serious trouble, as you can stuff the run and use good physical CB play at the line to stuff their WRs and they're screwed. Their vertical passing game makes SF's look like Pittsburgh's. I'm honestly curious if they're that bad, or if the Niners just caught them off guard. I'm really looking forward to Sunday's matchup with Seattle's OL.

AZ: defense doesn't look quite as good as last year's. Pass rush is a bit lacking (although it was last year as well, they had to blitz a LOT), and the hype of them not having to blitz as much this year might not be true. On offense, they still look good, but their OL doesn't look as sharp as I'd thought, and the run game looks below average. They'll run well on below average to average defenses, but against good ones they'll struggle. The thing that stood out the most to me was Palmer. If anyone was even close to getting pressure on him, he was heaving that football. I don't know if he's hiding an injury or just gun shy, but pressure is going to seriously screw them up this year.

5_Golden_Rings

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":1xh3felv said:
5_Golden_Rings":1xh3felv said:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

:lol: :lol:

My point is... Zane Beadles, HUGELY underrated Trent Brown and Kilgore versus... Jordan Devy, Marcus Martin and Eric Pears. It's a laughable comparison.

If you're talking about how shitty Baalke is I agree. If you're calling the 49ers line bad, then I would like you to consider Russell Wilson's ankle versus Gabbert's zero sack night against Aaron Donald, Robert Quinn, William Hayes and Michael Brockers...

NINEster

Reaction score
5_Golden_Rings":15df1yn7 said:
theENGLISHseahawk":15df1yn7 said:
5_Golden_Rings":15df1yn7 said:

:lol: :lol:

My point is... Zane Beadles, HUGELY underrated Trent Brown and Kilgore versus... Jordan Devy, Marcus Martin and Eric Pears. It's a laughable comparison.

If you're talking about how shitty Baalke is I agree. If you're calling the 49ers line bad, then I would like you to consider Russell Wilson's ankle versus Gabbert's zero sack night against Aaron Donald, Robert Quinn, William Hayes and Michael Brockers...

:stirthepot:

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
5_Golden_Rings":13whlrjq said:

I think my point has been quite clear throughout this thread (apart from the bits that were wrongly edited IMO).

Baalke is a disease that the 49ers need rid of.

As for Beadles -- my point was that you traded up to draft a first round guard and ZB beat him out. You can say he's a former pro bowler. So was Jahri Evans. He's at a stage in his career where he's a cheap veteran stop gap. He's not remotely special. And IMO it's another example of bad drafting by Baalke.

Not a review of the Niners O-line performance and I've never commented on that.