Steve Smith?

googoodan

Reaction score
JGfromtheNW":27celxv2 said:
Forgot to add, Steve Smith is the asshole who has gotten into two fights with teammates and this last season tried picking a fight with a rookie. Dude has no class.
The only rookie I remember him abusing was Janoris Jenkins, who supposedly showed up talking about Smitty's wife.
The Hawks play Jeff Fisher teams twice a season. You should know the crap they bring after the whistle.

themunn

Reaction score
drdiags":2x9w1adg said:
According to the GM (who needs to justify the cut), Smith was considered a distraction to the coaches, players and FO folks. His demands for perfection from others was supposedly an issue. I would consider the source before picking a side. I am sure if he came on-board that Pete would know how he would fit in here.

I wouldn't do it but maybe Wilson can demand control of the huddle a little better than Cam Newton?

Wasn't that the issue with Harvin? Look how his new teammates feel about that "issue"

Throwdown

Reaction score
googoodan":2pywhc2x said:
JGfromtheNW":2pywhc2x said:
Forgot to add, Steve Smith is the asshole who has gotten into two fights with teammates and this last season tried picking a fight with a rookie. Dude has no class.
The only rookie I remember him abusing was Janoris Jenkins, who supposedly showed up talking about Smitty's wife.
The Hawks play Jeff Fisher teams twice a season. You should know the crap they bring after the whistle.

This.

You guys do remember why Tate waved bye to those suckas right? Rams are god damn dirty, and everyone takes it as being tough. Boys are weak.

45Hawker

Reaction score
Interesting note about Steve Smith: "He’s already guaranteed $3 million from his Panthers contract with no offset, so he’ll be enjoying paychecks from two teams this season"

More about his situation here: http://grantland.com/the-triangle/nfl-f ... reakin-up/

Given that, he could be signed for $2-3m. I'd bet he is looking for his best chance to win a SB, which would put Seattle in play at that price.

Also from the article above, he still has some fire in him: "When asked what might happen if he plays the Panthers as a member of another organization, Smith had a lot to say:

I want to make sure that whatever team I go to, they’re going to get the best, in-shape 35-year-old guy they can get. If that happens to run through Bank of America Stadium, put your goggles on ’cause there’s going to be blood and guts everywhere."

EverydayImRusselin

Reaction score
45Hawker":3fn35tfb said:
Interesting note about Steve Smith: "He’s already guaranteed $3 million from his Panthers contract with no offset, so he’ll be enjoying paychecks from two teams this season"

More about his situation here: http://grantland.com/the-triangle/nfl-f ... reakin-up/

Given that, he could be signed for $2-3m. I'd bet he is looking for his best chance to win a SB, which would put Seattle in play at that price.

Also from the article above, he still has some fire in him: "When asked what might happen if he plays the Panthers as a member of another organization, Smith had a lot to say:

I want to make sure that whatever team I go to, they’re going to get the best, in-shape 35-year-old guy they can get. If that happens to run through Bank of America Stadium, put your goggles on ’cause there’s going to be blood and guts everywhere."

How can you not want this guy?

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Kaiser":1ykbywqx said:
I would definitely give him a year.

yeah, why not. I know the thread is littered with stories of him being an a-hole with the Panthers. But he's been there forever. Probably saw himself as the leader of that team.

He comes here, you'd think he would know to take a back seat to who runs this team

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
With the talk of Rice coming back, it's pretty clear that Pete and John are purely looking for bigger body WR's to fill out the roster.

Smith CAN play outside, but at this point in his career I think he's best used inside..........and we already have the best slot receiver in the league on the roster. So as interesting as it is to think of Smith in a Hawks jersey, it doesn't appear we're interested.

Largent80

Reaction score
Appreciate the input from the Carolina fan. It appears we have no interest as there isn't a peep.

ErikG803

Reaction score
I listened to his farewell on Carolina sports radio yesterday and god I love this guy-- always have. It certainly sounds like he's not in a huge hurry to sign so I'm skeptical that the ravens are such a favorite. It sounds like he wants to take multiple visits and be wined and dined, and I like our chances of putting on a show for him if he makes the flight up here. World class facilities are hard to argue with

drdiags

Reaction score
themunn":c7k0rogh said:
drdiags":c7k0rogh said:
According to the GM (who needs to justify the cut), Smith was considered a distraction to the coaches, players and FO folks. His demands for perfection from others was supposedly an issue. I would consider the source before picking a side. I am sure if he came on-board that Pete would know how he would fit in here.

I wouldn't do it but maybe Wilson can demand control of the huddle a little better than Cam Newton?

Wasn't that the issue with Harvin? Look how his new teammates feel about that "issue"

Just showing you what the GM was trying to use as an excuse for letting him go. I am not saying one way or the other whether that justifies not picking him up. Just giving some background on why he is even on the streets for those who may not be aware, saves them from scanning the web. Use it as you may.

hawker232

Reaction score
I don't know that Baltimore would be a front runner. He's looking to win now, which puts Seattle ahead. I mean, would you rather play with Russell Wilson and Marshawn Lynch, or Joe Flacco and a beaten up Ray Rice? :lol:

googoodan

Reaction score
hawker232":3cq3oi9h said:
I don't know that Baltimore would be a front runner. He's looking to win now, which puts Seattle ahead. I mean, would you rather play with Russell Wilson and Marshawn Lynch, or Joe Flacco and a beaten up Ray Rice? :lol:

He stated in a radio interview that his wife and kids are not interested in leaving Charlotte. In Baltimore, he would still be fairly close (>1 hr flight)

JGfromtheNW

Reaction score
googoodan":3uaol0fc said:
JGfromtheNW":3uaol0fc said:

I remember him going after a Vikings rookie, I remember the Jenkins drama. I was on Smith's side for that, you don't start insulting someone's family on the field.

Marlin Man

Reaction score
How in the ehck could we NOT get this guy- a perdect fit for our needs, for one or two years MAX-- IF I was betting my money I would put a thousand down and say he DOES come here

M.M.

McG

Reaction score
I'd give him 2 years/$6.5 mil with $5 mil as a signing bonus. Is he old? Yes. But, the guy is legit, and plays with the ultimate chip on his shoulder. Sure he's a bit crazy and there would be fear that him and the L.O.B. would fight in practice, but he is the ultimate competitor. I'm sure PC and JS are hoping we can he him on the cheap.

aawolf

Reaction score
I've watched Steve Smith his whole career, being from NC and going to a lot of games over the years. Smith is over the hill and way past his prime. There once was a time that he was the best receiver in the league IMO, especially when the Panthers made a push to the Super Bowl. He was just so darn scrappy, which I think was always the best way to describe him. You couldn't overthrow him and he spent several years making Dellhome look like an NFL caliber QB. Injuries have really hurt his ability the past two years, IMO. Looking at him now, I wouldn't trust him going on a deep post pattern like he used to do back in the day for a sure-fire first down. He's just not the same anymore and doesn't get much separation like he used to. I'll be pulling for him wherever he goes, but if I'm the Hawks, or any other franchise, I'm not spending a lot more than the good ole' veteran minimum. He'll get paid somewhere though, because he really used to be great.

Latest posts