Steve Smith?

SirTed

Reaction score
HawkStar22":49gnx0l5 said:
SirTed":49gnx0l5 said:
I'm not a huge fan.

Wouldn't hate it if we brought him in on the cheap / short -

But the dude is 34, and looked HELLA washed up in the playoffs last year.

He was playing hurt. He had to rehab 10 hours a day just to play in that game. Dude has heart and would do anything for the team.

Keep in mind he's been a Panther his entire career. A change of scenery, especially on a team like ours would probably put those "cancerous attitude" accusations to rest.

I know he was injured. I also know he's 34. I'm not saying he can't get it done but I am saying it's a decent possibility. I don't have a problem with his "bad ass" attitude but he does rub me wrong more than most (Napoleon complex, imo). I DO have a problem with punching teammates on more than one occasion, and pulling that diva WR shit on the sidelines.

Like I said, wouldn't hate it if it happened but I think the WR market will be flooded (as well as / because of talent in the draft) so there is no reason to jump on an old ass, short WR. There will be other options out there.

NFSeahawks

Reaction score
Smith would fit well with Sherman, one on offense one on defense, can you imagine the crys from the fans that the Seahawks are big bullies.

I mean as long as you let your outstanding play back it up and none of this Incognito BS.

Hawkfish

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":1v9y8sh9 said:
Basically the exact same numbers at Tate. But wait, he's too old. hmmm

Player that now has a chip on his shoulder and wants to show the league he still has it, JS and PC would never bring in a player like that. :th2thumbs:

NFSeahawks

Reaction score
Hawkfish":3le1f9sd said:
SoulfishHawk":3le1f9sd said:
Basically the exact same numbers at Tate. But wait, he's too old. hmmm

Player that now has a chip on his shoulder and wants to show the league he still has it, JS and PC would never bring in a player like that. :th2thumbs:

He just signed with the Seahawks after your post.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
HawkFan72":1uwx1a2g said:
Evil_Shenanigans":1uwx1a2g said:
I'll climb out on this limb. Dude is cancer, just cant see him fitting in with this squad!

The Panthers fans say he's a lot like Sherman: misunderstood by outside fans. They all love him.
Shitty attitude, and NOT like Sherman.
Smith even picks at his OWN TEAMATES.
A good example, he got his team penalized by attacking Sherman, because he couldn't get handle the ALLOWED pressure, and not letting him get a clean break WITHIN THE 5 yard allowance.
Tough guy my ass, as he would NEVER have tried that shit with Browner.
I would ten times rather we'd kept Tate, than to take on a hot head loser like Steve Smith.

dontbelikethat

Reaction score
Him & Sherm don't seem to exactly get along, but Idk, it might just be on the field. I think he's a better fit for the Ravens (hence they're already reported to be in contact) and think there's a better chance he ends up there. Great teammate and a very hard competitor/worker.

HomerJHawk

Reaction score
Tate's gone. We need a WR. Smith has got the attitude. He's been with the Panthers what, his whole career, 13 years. That's a looong time on the same team.
So he's developed an attitude. We need that attitude.
Bring him in on a 1-year deal. Let PC get the best out of him for that year. I'm sure Smith would love to get that ring.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
scutterhawk":28ftw9cn said:
HawkFan72":28ftw9cn said:
Evil_Shenanigans":28ftw9cn said:
I'll climb out on this limb. Dude is cancer, just cant see him fitting in with this squad!

The Panthers fans say he's a lot like Sherman: misunderstood by outside fans. They all love him.
A good example, he got his team penalized by attacking Sherman, because he couldn't get handle the ALLOWED pressure, and not letting him get a clean break WITHIN THE 5 yard allowance.
I would ten times rather we'd kept Tate, than to take on a hot head loser like Steve Smith.

I think you fail to realize how other teams' fans talk about Sherman.

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
If we sign him, I'll be on pins and needles...for the report that he punched Earl...IN THE FACE.

jblaze

Reaction score
HawkStar22":js7euovj said:
jblaze":js7euovj said:
HawkStar22":js7euovj said:
jblaze":js7euovj said:
I love the way he plays but he is a big distraction and a me first player. He's high maintenance and a diva, something we do not need or allow in our locker room.

Also hard to know how much he has left, he's getting pretty old and speed is the first thing to go. He has a lot of miles on those tires.

Not sure how good of a blocker he is either, can't be great at that size.

I'll pass. He'll likely ask for 6-7m apy.

You're right.. Because a 33 year old Boldin was terrible last year right? Then signed a new contract... Please!!

Smith has more heart and passion for the game than most players and he plays with a huge chip on his shoulder. He would fit in perfect here. Plus he returns punts.

Nobody is saying the Hawks are gonna bring him in on a 4 year deal, we're talking 1 year here. Give the guy a chance to win a championship. He deserves it.

Plus.. If Harvin/Baldwin/kearse miss any time next year wouldn't you love to have a vet like smith? I know I would.

Dude still has it! He would make us forget all
About Tate.

That's not a relevant comparison at all. Smith is a speed player and that goes away first, he's ripe for a decline. Boldin is a bigger possession receiver and that ages much better over time.

Desean Jackson is a speed player. Mike Wallace is a speed player.

Steve smith is a much different WR then both those guys. Always has been. Smith can win jump balls on the outside, he can play the slot, and he is pretty much as close as it gets to a possession receiver. Everyone is saying he's " getting slow" with no real proof to back that up. There's a reason he's made it in this league for 13 years as a number 1 WR at 5'9. He plays way bigger and tougher then his size suggests. He's as close to a sure thing as you can get. And IMO an upgrade over Tate.

I agree he would be an upgrade over Tate because he has more speed, right now. However, speed WR's who have played a lot of years tend to break down around 32-33 and it goes fast. I could see him as a speed #2 and a big possession type guy at the #1 ala Sidney Rice.

He's going to want more than we're willing to pay so this is moot. Would I like to have him on a 1 year deal? Yes. Do I think our locker room could keep him in check emotionally? Yes, we're good on leaders. However, he's ripe for a decline, you can't outrun father time. It will happen and history suggests soon.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
So far in this thread I have seen him called a declining speed guy, old, struggled in the playoffs last year.

So much BS, Smith balled out last year til he got hurt as still the primary target in a WR group that included less than scary Lafell and Ginn. He runs great routes, knows how to get separation using his strength, plays the redline, and has a great football attitude. I watch Panther games pretty much just to watch Smith do his thing.

As a stopgap for Tate, he would be awesome.

All that said, I think Seattle is changing the model on the WR group they want to present, and 3 different sub 6 footers is not the model.

Largent80

Reaction score
Scottemojo":3topr4sv said:
So far in this thread I have seen him called a declining speed guy, old, struggled in the playoffs last year.

So much BS, Smith balled out last year til he got hurt as still the primary target in a WR group that included less than scary Lafell and Ginn. He runs great routes, knows how to get separation using his strength, plays the redline, and has a great football attitude. I watch Panther games pretty much just to watch Smith do his thing.

As a stopgap for Tate, he would be awesome.

All that said, I think Seattle is changing the model on the WR group they want to present, and 3 different sub 6 footers is not the model.

While this may be true, to change it they will have to draft a larger WR or bring back Rice. Rookie wr's don't get it, not good for THIS coming year.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
HawkFan72":23r5off8 said:
scutterhawk":23r5off8 said:
HawkFan72":23r5off8 said:
Evil_Shenanigans":23r5off8 said:

I think you fail to realize how other teams' fans talk about Sherman.
Frankly?, I DON'T CARE what the piss & moaners Seahawks fans have to say about Sherman, let alone the NOBODY fans from other teams around the League.
Sherman yaks and yaks, but he backs it all up.
The best that Steve Smith had going for him? = gone.

Kixkahn

Reaction score
NO NO and another NO. He is one of those diva's who demands the ball be thrown to him. Russell likes to spread the ball around. Not to mention, that is in my opinion one of the reasons Wilson is good. Having multiple targets rather than one or two makes defenses have to spread out more.

checkdanews

Reaction score
I think he would be amazing for this team! Specially when it comes to being a mentor to our young WR's, (ADB, and Kearse especially)
Plus I am sure he could even help teach Russel a few things.

Latest posts