Super Bowl XL* : Never Forget

AB84

Reaction score
mrblitz":1lsqxh6j said:
steelers converting that 3rd and 28 at the 50:00 mark... that was the turning point imo...

the 3rd and 6 at 45:30 was another conversion from big ben to #86 which led up to the huge play at 50 minutes.

used to think the 'pylon play' at 1:01:30 was a td, but looking at it today, jackson seems out of bounds. ymmv

this week's game could be epic. pittsburgh's first trip to seattle since prior to the controversial super bowl 40.

roethlisberger is a great qb. his pocket awareness/presence is 2nd to none. having stated that, it would be great to see big ben shut down by the seattle d on sunday. the key is to not let him slide around in the pocket; get to him with pressure. he sidesteps a lot of pass rushers. can't let him do that on sunday.

on offense, dude on the radio (millen?) was saying that last week's seahawk run game was more 'power-plays and counters, and not the zone blocking'. if that's the case, maybe they should stick with the 'power running scheme'.

anyway, the refs were bad for sb40, but the 'hawks could have won anyway. seahawks can win this one though!
Wow, what a refreshingly honest point of view to have on XL. Kudos to you, my good man, for being objective and realistic :thirishdrinkers: Here's to a great game Sunday!

drdiags

Reaction score
Plus some Seattle dickhead put a stop sign through Hamlin's head and Marquand Manuel had rubber bands for leg muscles so we get stuck with the killer from New Orleans at safety. Oh, the horror ... NY Coug, I thought you were good people. Ha ha!

Bigpumpkin

Reaction score
It is now time for "Payback"! Well I remember the frustration watching the asinine calls of the Referees. It was like climbing a mountain of wet clay....we would take a step forward and the Referees would push us back. The present players on the Seahawks were quite young when that game was played so they are not likely to feel the innate revulsion we have of the Steelers. Pete should require that the team watch a rerun of that game before they meet this Sunday.

Basis4day

Reaction score
I won't watch XL. And it wasn't that great of a football game anyway. And i couldn't stand the media campaign that made the entire lead-up about Jerome Bettis and not about the Hawks first appearance in the Super Bowl.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
HawkFan72":3rfz9jqd said:
drdiags":3rfz9jqd said:
seahawksny":3rfz9jqd said:
Hard to believe they havent been here since 2003.
Tommy Maddox was QB, Burress and Ward were catching the ball.
i remember not much scoring until we pulled away in end.

Didnt that season end - "We're Gonna Win and We're Gonna Score?"

Also the year of the Ravens game with the 4th timeout. What a cluster that game was:

http://www.nfl.com/schedules/2003/REG/SEAHAWKS

Still my least favorite regular season game of all time. That game was beyond frustrating. I have never been so angry after a regular season loss.

Nor I. Just ask my wife.

raisethe3

Reaction score
Man, Darrell Jackson was torching that secondary in the first quarter. Lol @ the pass interference. Hardly a pass interference.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
I have asked many neutral fans over the years about XL*, and to a person they have all said the Hawks got screwed. Hell, a couple months after the game I was sitting at a blackjack table in Reno and the talk turned to favorite football team. There were a couple of Niner fans of course, 2 Cowboys fans and one fan of like the Chiefs. I was the last one to speak and when I said "Seahawks" in unison, every single one of them said "oh wow, you guys got screwed in the Super Bowl".

MrThortan

Reaction score
I didn't have a TV back in '06, but I did watch the game. Going to give this a watch before Sunday.

Cyrus12

Reaction score
...and never forget how bad Jerramy Stevens was...probably hungover or still drunk...those drops were really bad...

scutterhawk

Reaction score
mrblitz":3hhadrle said:
The refs were bad for sb40, but the 'hawks could have won anyway. seahawks can win this one though!
I'm going to disagree with this, as the Referees WERE NOT going to allow the Seahawks a victory.
Numerous phony phantom calls by the Officials.....They weren't going to let Jerome Bettes and the Stealers go home with a loss....No Way No How.
It wasn't destiny, it was a corrupt NFL.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
scutterhawk":3so8xo2j said:
mrblitz":3so8xo2j said:
The refs were bad for sb40, but the 'hawks could have won anyway. seahawks can win this one though!
I'm going to disagree with this, as the Referees WERE NOT going to allow the Seahawks a victory.
Numerous phony phantom calls by the Officials.....They weren't going to let Jerome Bettes and the Stealers go home with a loss....No Way No How.
Absolutely.

FLhawkfan

Reaction score
I'm totally convinced one of the refs from that game is going to confess on his deathbed that the game was fixed. I watched the game with a bunch of Stealers fans and even they were amazed at how biased the officials were.

Hopefully on Sunday, Ben will have to actually cross the goal line to get a TD.

AB84

Reaction score
scutterhawk":32bf22ny said:
mrblitz":32bf22ny said:
I'm sorry but this is absolutely comical. Watch that game again and tell me the Seahawks didn't blow opportunities in the second half with the potential to take the lead and win. The refs can SWAY a game but they absolutely cannot "prevent the Seahawks from winning". You can't put the whole loss on the refs, can you not take even a sliver of responsibility for lack of execution in the second half? Dropped passes? Missed opportunities? Giving up big plays on defense? I mean c'mon, man. That's like saying Malcolm Butler is the reason you lost the last SB. Take some responsibility for your team's actions.

Overall XL was a shitty game, with poor officiating, that now costs BOTH of our fan-bases the bullshit of you guys saying "It was ours, they threw it" while we have to listen to "You didn't really win the SB, Bettis cheated". The fact that you are making threads about XL paralleling the emotional turmoil that happened on 9/11 by saying NEVER FORGET is just ridiculous.

Sign37now

Reaction score
Can't and never will watch that abomination. I get physically ill just seeing that still shot. The anger and rage starts over taking me. I for one, will NEVER forget...

Damnit, now I have to go break something....

SeahawksBMX

Reaction score
I threw this thing together the other day to post in some FB comments:
H88Ub9q

It should go without saying, but I will put this disclaimer in here anyway: as much of a sham as that game was, in no way am I equating it to the horror of 9/11 or any other "Never Forget" tragedies in human history.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
AB84":1a9qqbzt said:
scutterhawk":1a9qqbzt said:
mrblitz":1a9qqbzt said:
I'm sorry but this is absolutely comical. Watch that game again and tell me the Seahawks didn't blow opportunities in the second half with the potential to take the lead and win. The refs can SWAY a game but they absolutely cannot "prevent the Seahawks from winning". You can't put the whole loss on the refs, can you not take even a sliver of responsibility for lack of execution in the second half? Dropped passes? Missed opportunities? Giving up big plays on defense? I mean c'mon, man. That's like saying Malcolm Butler is the reason you lost the last SB. Take some responsibility for your team's actions.

Overall XL was a shitty game, with poor officiating, that now costs BOTH of our fan-bases the bullshit of you guys saying "It was ours, they threw it" while we have to listen to "You didn't really win the SB, Bettis cheated". The fact that you are making threads about XL paralleling the emotional turmoil that happened on 9/11 by saying NEVER FORGET is just ridiculous.
First, I agree that it gets taken to far emotionally.

But don't pretend Refs can't determine a game. Off sides on Steelers called a hold on Seattle, negates play to the two, next play interception, bullshit call on the QB for actually making the tackle. Just those two plays created a likely 14 point swing.

Of course that doesn't determine the game. But 14 points isn't chickenshit. And those are two calls, there were a half dozen BS calls in that game that affected the scoreboard. Every big play in a game has a measurable effect on win probability, as does every single penalty, bad call, or non call.

Pretending otherwise is ignorance. Steeler fans most certainly were not this tolerant of shitty officials when it seemed the Patriots were screwing with radio communications and the officials absolutely booted the way they handled it. Because they know that it affected their chances to win the game.