Super Bowl XL* : Never Forget

Ambrose83

Reaction score
F them... that game was a atrocity. ... how they could miss that many calls in one game is only on purpose. The calls were all huge momentum changers, not a lost first down on our 30 or anything. Matt gets called for tackling a guy? On a pick he never should have thrown because on the play before the stealer guy was in our backfield before the ball was ever snapped. . Of course our right tackle is going to hold the guy.... we all know I can keep going......

Jacknut16

Reaction score
Ambrose83":2xjeer9m said:
F them... that game was a atrocity. ... how they could miss that many calls in one game is only on purpose. The calls were all huge momentum changers, not a lost first down on our 30 or anything. Matt gets called for tackling a guy? On a pick he never should have thrown because on the play before the stealer guy was in our backfield before the ball was ever snapped. . Of course our right tackle is going to hold the guy.... we all know I can keep going......

It wasnt even holding, and Madden made sure to state it at least twice.

Just taking back that hold on top of everything else, the hawks would have won that game.

Then on top of that you have the Ref apologizing to the Hawks years later.

The not called horse collar on SA after the holding call made me just lose it during the game. We were getting nit-picked on the whole game, and the steelers didnt get anything called except for a few penalties in the start of the game.

Big Mike lead one of the fewest penalized teams in the league for many season, and we are just supposed to accept that the Hawks were the only ones being called for key penalties?

That holding call if it were done against the Cowboys, Steelers or another big market team would have easily been the WORST, and most ill-timed call in superbowl history, without a doubt. I simply cannot grasp that at that stage of the game they would be looking to cal something that WASNT holding, much less call anything BUT obvious holding at that point in the game. I have seen many many times in big games, blatant holds, outright tackling, tripping not called at that stage of the game. Then to have the refs go out of the way to not call the offsides, but to call holding against the player who was victimized by the non offsides call is beyond comprehension and I DARE any Steelers fan to debate this.
Rant over :D

Jerhawk

Reaction score
Crizilla":tgv3g3s1 said:
I was in high school when the Seahawks played in XL. I literally got sick the day after the game and missed class for a few days. I honestly think that game ruined my immune system and caused me to get a fever. Really depressing. I went straight to my room after our SB party. Didn't talk with any friends or family. I remember the stress caused a really bad headache too.

XLIX obviously was disappointing too but an entirely different beast. I was still social after the game. I was just in disbelief. Like a bad dream. I drank myself to sleep that night.

At least we took down the greatest offense of all time in XLVIII. I truly believe no team would have beaten us that night. No Montana team, not the 85 bears, not the 90's Cowboys, not the 70's steelers. That was our night to be the greatest. Until a team goes 19-0, I will forever believe that.

I agree with everything you said. I was a sophomore in high school. That loss had me a mess. I wouldn't talk to anyone, I wouldn't eat for days.

I've been waiting for this game for ten years. I'll be a mess tomorrow filled with rage.

48 helped me get over that loss a bit, but a win tomorrow will give us the payback factor... be it a decade later

Jerhawk

Reaction score
Bigpumpkin":34mzbfyg said:
I believe that if the Referees make similar calls against the Hawks this Sunday.....calls that are obviously tainted, the fans in the stands will not "take it sitting down"!!! It could turn ugly!

The true 12s who were fans from the beginning, and/or fans during xl, will remember. If the refs blow the game tomorrow, those refs better hope the nfl has extra security.

Just sayin. Some people like myself still haven't gotten over that game or forgiven the refs

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
Just watched it again...for the first time for the last time. I will never watch that atrocity again in my life. I am sick now. I smiled at the first half for the most part as our team was running over the other team like they were not there. Then the second quarter....then the third quarter...then the garbage referees. They advertised people to call in their mobile device the MVP of the game..........the FRACKING REFS. They won....USA lost. No more need be said by me. One pic to be posted later....I have it on my phone. Some here know that pic. I have the towel.

Go Hawks.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Torc":i3mi2roi said:
Scottemojo":i3mi2roi said:
...bullshit call on the QB for actually making the tackle...

This is the play that convinces me the game was rigged. Show me one other play in history where a QB is penalized for tackling the intercepting player. Not that this play lost the game for the Hawks, but it certainly shows the mindset of the refs - find any excuse possible to penalize the Seahawks and assist the Stealers to a win. All to give an overrated player a sendoff and an excuse to put him in the Hall of Fame. I don't think Bettis makes the HOF without the ring he got that day - he was a borderline candidate as it was, and should never have been a first ballot HOFer.
Bettis' career under 4.0 YPC agrees with you. So do I.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Not exactly bulletin board material...

"Since (the Seahawks) won their Super Bowl and went back to back, I think I haven't heard nearly as much as I did early on (about SBXL)."

- Ben Roethlisberger

"Every place we go is hostile. So we're going to treat this like it's a great football team, which it is, and go in there to a great environment and try to play our best."

- Ben Roethlisberger

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
From Cincy.....

Attachments

• Pitt swallows.jpg
    Pitt swallows.jpg
    108.5 KB · Views: 613

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Aros":13ramxm4 said:
The one common theme here is self evident. It's one thing when a fanbase whines about officiating. Hell, it happens on a weekly basis during any NFL season.

When the whole PLANET who had access to a TV to watch Super Bowl 40 - outside of Steelers fans - knows we got robbed...

It's not being a whiny fanbase.

It's that we really were robbed.

I guarantee you almost every single 12 who suffered the nightmare of that game has a story that goes something like this:

"I was watching a game with a group of people and Super Bowl 40 came up. This guy came up to me when he found out I was a Seahawks fan and said, 'I'm not a Seahawks fan, Hell, I'm not even really a football fan in general but wow did you guys get robbed.'"

That story has been repeated tens of thousands of times since February 2006.

But okay Steeler fans, keep deflecting. :177692:
To back up your statements:

National ESPN poll taken right after Bettis Bowl XL*
XLmappoll.jpg

OkieHawk

Reaction score
I'm in the minority here, but XL doesn't phase me much anymore. That night it happened i got blackout drunk though, much to my wife's chagrin.

Since we've won one though, it doesn't see as bad to me really. Hell, even 49 doesn't sting that much.

Cyrus12

Reaction score
hope the Sex Crime dept at the Seattle PD are conducting surveillance on Rapistberger tonight....

Diezel Dawg

Reaction score
I just re-watched XL tonight. And that low block(tackle) penalty on Hass was atrocious. What's ironic, is Roethlisberger did the exact same thing on the Randle El Passing TD, but his was a low block that should have been Called and negated that TD.

justafan

Reaction score
I watched for the 1st time since it was played.Stevens still sucked,JB still missed the Fgs and Pitt made the big plays.

The refs sucked but the boys bobbled that game away.

AB84

Reaction score
justafan":u8432071 said:
I watched for the 1st time since it was played.Stevens still sucked,JB still missed the Fgs and Pitt made the big plays.

:thirishdrinkers: :thirishdrinkers: :thirishdrinkers:

The truth is so liberating, well done! For every 20 replies of "OMG rigged! Refs got cash! Bettis gave his whole year's salary for a ring!" there are 1 or 2 Seattle fans who have taken a step back emotionally from being so upset over the calls, and have come to the reasonable conclusion that there were missed opportunities and sloppy play that contributed to the loss.

T-minus 6 and a half hours! :th2thumbs: good luck, Seahawks!

pmedic920

Reaction score
Woulda' shoulda' coulda'

Refs still had a bad day and IMHO effected the outcome of that game.
I'm not as butt hurt over it as some but that game was a screw job and well over 90% of the "football fans" that I've spoken to about it (that have actually watched the game), agree.

I'm not sure about intentions or reasons but it was bad, one of the worst called Super Bowls that I have knowledge of. One could argue theories or reasons till the cows come home but nobody can argue that it was poorly called game and the Seahawks got the shitty end of the stick.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
AB84":1kgr1s6b said:
justafan":1kgr1s6b said:

:thirishdrinkers: :thirishdrinkers: :thirishdrinkers:

The truth is so liberating, well done! For every 20 replies of "OMG rigged! Refs got cash! Bettis gave his whole year's salary for a ring!" there are 1 or 2 Seattle fans who have taken a step back emotionally from being so upset over the calls, and have come to the reasonable conclusion that there were missed opportunities and sloppy play that contributed to the loss.

T-minus 6 and a half hours! :th2thumbs: good luck, Seahawks!
If the truth is so liberating a majority Stealer fans are not liberated. Face it, you guys got some huge gifts that game from the zebras, OWN IT, and quit trying to justify that gifted Lombardi. I hear the old tired line "good teams can over come bad calls"!
Well, the Stealers on that day wouldn't have been able to if the calls went against them the way like they did against Seattle, your QB had the worst QB rating ever at 22.6, and the Stealers were "owned" in the stat department.

Again, it's not just Seattle fans that thought we were robbed, take a gander again at the sports nation poll graphic I put up thread, Pennsylvania and West Virgina were the only 2 states that thought the officiating was legit that day.

Sign37now

Reaction score
Rob12":27eaum80 said:
Guess I'll be the bad guy.

I'm annoyed that nearly 10 years later, we're still talking about it. We grill other fan bases, like the 49ers, for "living in the past." This game has no bearing on what happened that day, and I believe the only current player from that day for the Hawks who is still in the league is Matt Hasselbeck.

I hated it. I still do. But to continue to harp on this is to latch on to a mentality that I let go of long ago.

I hope in 10 years I'm still not losing my mind over the play from last year's Super Bowl.

Those two SB losses couldn't be any different. I was over last year's loss after a couple of months. Fairly called game with the combination of the worst play call EVER and a great play by them. We lost, fair and square.

XL* however was the hands down biggest screw job in the history of sports. If you are "over it" you must not have been much of a fan then. I can't recall ever being as pissed as I was that day. (Then drunk later) It's unforgivable and even if we win five more SB's in the coming years I will always believe we should have one more.

I'm with IROC!

Edit: And for the Stealers troll in this thread. Go crawl back under the rock from which you came. Douche Monkey

Jacknut16

Reaction score
justafan":37qnu5ql said:

What do you expect to happen when you take away a teams momentum at every turn?

This was by all accounts the worst officiated high profile game of any sporting event EVER.

What do you expect will happen when you are playing a good Steelers team when you take away a great pass play to the one yard line, on a non-call offsides, and then have a hold called on the player that was victimized by the offsides, when there wasnt even holding on the play????!?!?

What kind of bizzarre universe do you live in where this WOULDNT have an effect on the game??

Then the SA run with the obvious horse collar on SA just after, then the low block on making a tackle. Are you kidding me, a low block on a tackle?

What do you think is going to happen? Of course the Steelers were going to win that game with every important call going with the Steelers.

minormillikin

Reaction score
XL made me hate refs and become very suspicious when I see the momentum in games (particularly prime time games) take a big swing as a result of penalties.

For a while I hated the Steelers too, but no longer. I realized when talking with some of their fans that XL is not something they're too proud of. Plus, over the years watching some Steelers games, I've even begun to enjoy watching them play. They can be a pretty entertaining offense to watch, and it always amazes me how tough Roethlisberger is.

But, today, from about 1pm to 430... The Steelers are my most hated team and I hope they fail miserably.

Oh, by the way, did you know Jerome Bettis is from Detroit?