Ta Hell With the INT's -- Love Those Long Bombs

Hawks46

Reaction score
SomersetHawk":1rpevhnb said:
Not sure why he was throwing the second one there, but Kearse totally gave up on that play, really weak.

Be interesting to see how we use Richardson when he's back.

Honestly, Kearse wasn't the only one thinking "why the hell did he even throw that ball?"

I don't have a problem with Kearse, but at this point, we honestly need to let him go. Once we do that, half of Wilson's dumbest interceptions will go with him. Wilson seems to think he's Superman or something. That was a terrible, terrible INT.

The one in the red zone was almost as bad. I have to disagree with the OP. Trying to fit balls into tight windows is one thing. Ignoring open WRs and throwing into double and triple coverage is something else. I find it ironic that Wilson is gun shy about throwing guys open but is totally willing to throw stupid INT's into triple coverage.

Rob12

Reaction score
Agreed. It's great to see us taking shots.

The second interception was a mixture of Russ and Kearse. He slowed way up on his route.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
First, I disagree about the Kearse hatred. The guy catches what is thrown at him, he shouldn't be used on those long patterns anyway, but he fights for the ball and is a good bet to catch a ball in traffic or clutch situation.

Reminds me of Brian Blades actually, and we should use him like that. Different body type but I like his hands (never thought I would hear myself say that when I watched him at UW).

But my god, there has to be more to this offense than hope Lynch breaks it or the 30 yard bomb.

I shouldn't just lose all hope at 3rd and 6 to 3rd and 12. That is where QBs earn their money.

And right now either Lynch runs it in or Russ thinks he is the second coming of Rex Grossman to unleash the dragon. That might be exciting but it is inconsistent, low % and crap football. Toxic differential my *ss.

This is fool's gold. It does NOT help the offense much (maybe the run by pulling the safeties out further) but ultimately this team is going to get stuck. It needs to know it can score when it needs to and it needs to know it can drive the length of the field to score.

Bleeding clock and not scoring is FAILING. We don't have the defensive depth and it is going to get worse.

This team needs to know that IF it makes the playoffs and plays a great offense, it can answer. That is why we just inked our QB to that big contract. We need to know we can score. Sitting on leads just reinforces the same weaknesses.

We are going to look back at games like this, games we could have honed our offense, as lost opportunities because we are going to play a team that takes the lead or plays us tight. And we won't be able to respond. Proof? TWO overtimes we could not advance with the ball.

The offensive line is a disaster, but nobody new useful is coming through that door.

Wilson and Lynch & the rest are going to have to figure out how to score with what they got and what they can do. Or accept that the line is so porous they just don't have a good enough QB to overcome that (which I do not believe). But complaining about the line does nothing because it cannot be fixed until the offseason, so this team is going to have to get used to scoring even when it is hard.

WilsonMVP

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":24isi7u9 said:
First, I disagree about the Kearse hatred. The guy catches what is thrown at him, he shouldn't be used on those long patterns anyway, but he fights for the ball and is a good bet to catch a ball in traffic or clutch situation.

Reminds me of Brian Blades actually, and we should use him like that. Different body type but I like his hands (never thought I would hear myself say that when I watched him at UW).

But my god, there has to be more to this offense than hope Lynch breaks it or the 30 yard bomb.

I shouldn't just lose all hope at 3rd and 6 to 3rd and 12. That is where QBs earn their money.

And right now either Lynch runs it in or Russ thinks he is the second coming of Rex Grossman to unleash the dragon. That might be exciting but it is inconsistent, low % and crap football. Toxic differential my *ss.

This is fool's gold. It does NOT help the offense much (maybe the run by pulling the safeties out further) but ultimately this team is going to get stuck. It needs to know it can score when it needs to and it needs to know it can drive the length of the field to score.

Bleeding clock and not scoring is FAILING. We don't have the defensive depth and it is going to get worse.

This team needs to know that IF it makes the playoffs and plays a great offense, it can answer. That is why we just inked our QB to that big contract. We need to know we can score. Sitting on leads just reinforces the same weaknesses.

We are going to look back at games like this, games we could have honed our offense, as lost opportunities because we are going to play a team that takes the lead or plays us tight. And we won't be able to respond. Proof? TWO overtimes we could not advance with the ball.

The offensive line is a disaster, but nobody new useful is coming through that door.

Wilson and Lynch & the rest are going to have to figure out how to score with what they got and what they can do. Or accept that the line is so porous they just don't have a good enough QB to overcome that (which I do not believe). But complaining about the line does nothing because it cannot be fixed until the offseason, so this team is going to have to get used to scoring even when it is hard.

If you think that is when QBs earn their money than Wilson should be earning his money to you

3rd and 7-9 5/6 69 yards 1TD 0INT 154.2 rating
3rd and 10+ 8/11 125 yards 0TD0INT 110 rating

kf3339

Reaction score
I understood the first INT, but honestly the 2nd one should not have happened. What was needed was high percentage short to medium pass completions to score another TD at that point. It didn't hurt us only because the 49er offense was non existent this evening.

Fade

Reaction score
I liked Russell's comments after the game on the second pick, paraphrasing here "It wasn't a great play, but what was important was staying aggressive."

This is huge! Russell is finally rejecting the leash, because he understands it has been costing the team games.

Pete doesn't understand how the team keeps losing when winning the turnover battle, and winning when losing the turnover battle. It comes down to aggression. They played to win tonight, instead of playing not to lose that is the difference.

Taking those deep shots will effect how teams play the Hawks in future games positively for the offense, especially for the running game.

Laloosh

Reaction score
FKX9rNc.gif

Hawker

Reaction score
WilsonMVP":3p4i3mv7 said:
TwistedHusky":3p4i3mv7 said:
...But my god, there has to be more to this offense than hope Lynch breaks it or the 30 yard bomb.

And right now either Lynch runs it in or Russ thinks he is the second coming of Rex Grossman to unleash the dragon. That might be exciting but it is inconsistent, low % and crap football. Toxic differential my *ss. ...

If you think that is when QBs earn their money than Wilson should be earning his money to you

3rd and 7-9 5/6 69 yards 1TD 0INT 154.2 rating
3rd and 10+ 8/11 125 yards 0TD0INT 110 rating

RW's numbers are good on 3rd down, but on middle-to-long 3rd downs, when we are guaranteed to put Jackson in the mix, it seems our only approach is to hit a short 2 yard pass, hoping a YAC miracle happens to gain the 1st down. I think that might be where TwistedHusky is coming from. To which I share the same sentiment.

To the OP, I too loved the aggressiveness in the deep seem route to Kearse. The execution will come...

chiltech500

Reaction score
timmat":1vz8cnm4 said:
I didn't mind it because if it's picked, it's like a great punt. But with Matthews and Lockette on this team, why run that to Kearse? Try that with the big bodies.

Amen. I'm not sure who calling the plays has the love of Kearse and Baldwin... one of these should be let go.

kujohawk

Reaction score
I just rewatched the game and as far as that pass to Kearse interception that one was on Wilson. He made up his mind he was pulling the trigger but Kearse couldn't break deep on that wall so he slowed down. All he had to do was throw short and let Kearse come back to the ball was the only way to beat that coverage.

But I was glad Wilson was getting the ball out quicker I don't like it when he tries to bail out the backside fielding double play balls. Good way to get abused and hurt. And like was said it really didn't hurt as much cause it was as good as a punt anyway. Seemed to me the Hawks took the field pissed off ready to play. I think that late aftergame pow wow they had after the Carolina choke job might have done some good.

If you think about it as far as the season goes, as bad as we have stunk it up we really were just a few plays from winning some of those games. A stupid penalty to stall a drive late in a game here, bad time management game plan there a bad mistake there and we were winning all those games. Don't forget we sort of played bad games early on last year too. I think we are starting to see some pissed off embarassed Seahawks come out and lay some smack down on some fools. I'm glad to hear they were glad to be playing the short week schedule. The boys wanted to get back on the field and redeem themselves. Good game all around.

I think they'll be ok

kujohawk

Reaction score
I'm ok with the long interceptions too. Sometimes in a game you have to just huck it and chuck it stretch that defense

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
I like that Wilson took initiative this game. I'm glad he understands that as a QB in the NFL, sometimes you have to take shots. Tom Brady threw the ball up for Randy Moss, Brett Favre threw it up to Donald Driver, and Aaron Rodgers trust Jordy Nelson to come down with the ball against favorable match-ups. All of the greats trusted their talent to make plays when they gave them a chance. Your receiver has half a step on the DB? Throw it to the spot that only your man can get it. This is something that Wilson has lacked, I'm glad to here what he said about his interceptions. To take the next step Wilson must continue on this path.

Now... that being said he needs to be smart about the chances that he takes. This is what separates the Matthew Stafford's from the Aaron Rodgers. Stafford will blindly challenge defenses deep, and he will have no regard for how covered that they are. This results in some ugly, ugly games. Wilson needs to learn when to throw it up there, and when to not. Both of his interceptions were very bad plays on Wilson's part. The throw on his first interception was very late, and the last throw was not a good idea, even if Kearse didn't slow down. I'm sure that when he reviews the film he will work on this. I hope he continues development in this area.

Mtjhoyas

Reaction score
Here's a weird reaction;

I loved the aggressiveness of the INTs.
I loved (even more) that he didn't take his foot off the pedal after those INTs.

The one thing that has always endeared me about this team (excluding the start of this year) was the fact that they never played scared. I think that's the most important thing I took away from yesterday. I did not see any players playing scared and despite the INTs, RW didn't get gunshy.

I think this is a major step forward for RW and this team.

Something special is brewing.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Mtjhoyas":1fqp3jhx said:
Here's a weird reaction;

I loved the aggressiveness of the INTs.
I loved (even more) that he didn't take his foot off the pedal after those INTs.

The one thing that has always endeared me about this team (excluding the start of this year) was the fact that they never played scared. I think that's the most important thing I took away from yesterday. I did not see any players playing scared and despite the INTs, RW didn't get gunshy.

I think this is a major step forward for RW and this team.

Something special is brewing.
I think this fits well,it seemed like more of the Hawks team we have been wanting.More aggressive on both sides.Hell even Bevell changed his play calling to try different things.The score could have been a lot higher if we was to just play safe football(interceptions)but you know we have to be able to use the deep ball and not be afraid.It worked 1 out of 3 times.The defense was back last night and made sure those interceptions did not hurt us

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Fade":68k3eooj said:
I liked Russell's comments after the game on the second pick, paraphrasing here "It wasn't a great play, but what was important was staying aggressive."

This is huge!

--------

Taking those deep shots will effect how teams play the Hawks in future games positively for the offense, especially for the running game.

Good post!

Throwing a few long passes each game even when they aren't successful has the desired effect of forcing the D tasked with defending the plays to respect them or be burned.

The INT was a poorly executed play as Kearse slowed in the middle of the route and RW threw to were he thought he'd be instead of where he was.

Still it was aggressive and forced the D to back off.

fenderbender123

Reaction score
It looked to me like Kearse started to slow down as if he were going to attempt to come back toward Russell Wilson right at the exact same time Wilson began his wind up to chuck it downfield. It was just an unfortunate coincidence that those 2 things happened at the same time and caused the interception.

I don't blame either one, really. I'm sure Kearse is used to having to comeback and help out his QB. On this play, though, Wilson had plenty of time and space...something we haven't seen a lot on his scrambles that lead him outside the pocket.

LoneHawkFan

Reaction score
WilsonMVP":ndesrv5y said:
I love RW but those INTS were plain STUPID

The first one he should of just dumped it off to the WIDE OPEN WR on the right around the first down marker..so so STUPID to throw it into the endzone

Second one Kearse gave up on the route and Wilson also lobbed it into double coverage. This one wasnt as bad since it was such a far throw but still terrible decision

We dont need russel damn LUCK out there....Need Russel Wilson

In the context of the situation- the game situation, the game itself, and the season- we should be ok with both of these passes. They were both poor decisions...but I'm ok with going through the exercise in the context of where the team is at right now.

Crizilla

Reaction score
CarLOL seemed annoyed at BevLEL's playcall on the 2nd INT.

Don't expect anymore of those plays.