Tanner McEvoy

randomation

Reaction score
He wasn't drafted because he didn't spend more than a year at any position in D1. He was originally recruited to play spread QB for Wisconsin, but his ball placement was inconsistent as in more inconsistent than Stave. He does have a rocket for an arm though. He then moved to WR which was what he played in High School but broke a finger during camp and ended up becoming starting safety instead. Last Season was first time he had some consistency as he started at safety but still ended up being used as a wildcat qb and offensive weapon at points. If he spent 4 years at WR or Safety I firmly believe he would have gone in the first three rounds. I think he won't make it to the practice squad and we will lose him if we try but I also thought he would drafted so idk.

ivotuk

Reaction score
Crizilla":ix4lo1fe said:
Prediction right now: Graham gets traded/released and gets replaced by Tanner McEvoy

screen cap this

Thread winner. You got a lot of people to bite, you funny guy you :p

Jimjones0384

Reaction score
TwilightError":7mq2nhxv said:
Too bad he played so many positions at college. He should have decided on one, he probably would have excelled and not just become a project at the pros.

I highly doubt he was given any choice in the matter. Don't know if you played football, but my coach would have laughed his ass off if I would have requested moving to a bunch of different positions. I'm sure like prosise, they moved him around based on their need and his athletic abilities. One more intriguing thing about mcevoy I thought about. Hopefully he makes the roster as either a receiver or safety. If he does, they could also train him to play tight end in emergency situations. That means he could step in at rb, wr, safety and tight end. He could even run a few plays at QB if needed. And I stick to the though that there is no way he clears waivers and makes the practice squad. He is so big and athletic that at least one of the 31 teams would take a chance and snag him from us. Especially after that last series in the kc game.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
I don't agree that if we put him on the PS we lose him.

My understanding (correct me if I am wrong) is that guys get stolen from PS have to occupy a roster spot.

He isn't ready to step in and contribute significantly enough to fill a spot.

He has tremendous promise, and great physical attributes but not enough skill yet that a team coming in to fill a hole is going to feel comfortable that if their guy goes down he can come in and at least not be a weakness.

Now, if he does this in every preseason game? Maybe that changes, but you aren't just going to lose a raw physical specimen unless the other team thinks he can hold down a spot if they have one suddenly open (say for an injury).

Basis4day

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":y0t5wh8g said:

My understanding (correct me if I am wrong) is that guys get stolen from PS have to occupy a roster spot.

He has tremendous promise, and great physical attributes but not enough skill yet that a team coming in to fill a hole is going to feel comfortable that if their guy goes down he can come in and at least not be a weakness.

Now, if he does this in every preseason game? Maybe that changes, but you aren't just going to lose a raw physical specimen unless the other team thinks he can hold down a spot if they have one suddenly open (say for an injury).

You are correct. If a player is snapped from the PS they need to be on the active 53 man roster of the new team for a couple weeks. I forget the exact number.

Jville

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/bcondotta/status/765270826992082945[/tweet]

Jimjones0384

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":3ii3l6fq said:

I get what you are saying. The thing is though, a lot of teams don't have the same "problem" that the Hawks do. The majority of teams have a hard time filling out a 53 man roster with quality players. They don't release 20 plus players that could land on other teams. With that being said, I can envision a scenario where his combo of size and athletic traits would be hard to pass up. Especially if you only have one or two decent receivers on your roster. And there are plentt of teams that really could use reciever help. Maybe even the majority of teams could use a big, fast reciever. Gm's and coaches aren't immune to overreacting to a couple of plays, just as it is said that we mcevoy supporters are overreacting to his first game performance.

harryjohnson

Reaction score
EverydayImRusselin":1k3jdwrj said:
He's the Sam Perkins of the Hawks. Did you see the vertical on that catch? I think he got about 3" off the ground.

Since when could Sam Perkins jump?

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
I could see McEvoy making this team.

Seattle covets ST quality from their bubble guys. We kept Lockette year after year despite very modest WR contributions.

Seattle will very likely keep McCray and Powell for this very purpose (that and they, like Shead, can play multiple positions). I think Cassius Marsh is a complete lock to make this squad as he's our best special teams player not named Lockett by miles. McEvoy can fill that role as well.

The fact that we don't have other guys really capable of doing much on ST in both the WR and RB units really ups McEvoy's value on the team.

We know that Pete doesn't just give lip service to ST. We keep depth players of the likes of Maragos and Lockette who are ST aces. This roster could be absolutely stacked with good ST players (Williams at TE, McEvoy at WR, McCray/Powell at DB) to aid Lockett.

Kasen Williams looks like a better WR project. But McEvoy offers something right now. And if he's not a slouch as a project -- he could oust Williams.

It's also worth noting that WR is one of the easiest positions to stash on the PS in the league. It's exceedingly rare to lose WRs on the waiver cuts before the season starts. I actually think it's likely that we keep McEvoy, cut Williams and Lawler -- and take our chances that one or both of those guys clears waivers and goes to the PS.

Mike D in 332

Reaction score
The move to WR looks to me like a "try to find a place on the 53 " move to me. If he's not scheme aware on defense then his mistakes cost us 1st downs, field position and points. If he is a serviceable 5/6 WR and good/great on ST then he's on the 53. I agree with those who see a guy who is both not ready for a consistent role and has too much potential to make it to the PS.

Could be another player who isn't good enough to cut it with the Hawks but ends up playing a strong role for a team with room on their 53 right now. What can you do? It's the curse of landing the most productive free agent class in the league. You get first choice but you can't keep everyone.

GO SEAHAWKS!!!!!!!!!

Russ Willstrong

Reaction score
Attyla the Hawk":dqs3sirn said:
I could see McEvoy making this team.

Seattle covets ST quality from their bubble guys. We kept Lockette year after year despite very modest WR contributions.

Seattle will very likely keep McCray and Powell for this very purpose (that and they, like Shead, can play multiple positions). I think Cassius Marsh is a complete lock to make this squad as he's our best special teams player not named Lockett by miles. McEvoy can fill that role as well.

The fact that we don't have other guys really capable of doing much on ST in both the WR and RB units really ups McEvoy's value on the team.

We know that Pete doesn't just give lip service to ST. We keep depth players of the likes of Maragos and Lockette who are ST aces. This roster could be absolutely stacked with good ST players (Williams at TE, McEvoy at WR, McCray/Powell at DB) to aid Lockett.

Kasen Williams looks like a better WR project. But McEvoy offers something right now. And if he's not a slouch as a project -- he could oust Williams.

It's also worth noting that WR is one of the easiest positions to stash on the PS in the league. It's exceedingly rare to lose WRs on the waiver cuts before the season starts. I actually think it's likely that we keep McEvoy, cut Williams and Lawler -- and take our chances that one or both of those guys clears waivers and goes to the PS.
Most WR prospects dont have his height, athleticism and versatility. Other teams like GB keep 6 WR but have injuries (Jeff Janis) or difficulty filling it with playmakers. Plus packers FO should have good info on Wisconsin players like Mcevoy.

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
Hmmm...big, athletic, not sure of what position he should stick at...sounds like the 2016 edition of Jordan Kent.

Trenchbroom

Reaction score
oldhawkfan":2fbtds0a said:
Hmmm...big, athletic, not sure of what position he should stick at...sounds like the 2016 edition of Jordan Kent.

Or Jameson Konz, for that matter.

Largent80

Reaction score
For him to make the team he would have to do everything right for the rest of pre-season and then hope for an injury. He is practice squad material right now.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
Largent80":39vevwtj said:
For him to make the team he would have to do everything right for the rest of pre-season and then hope for an injury. He is practice squad material right now.

Possibly. ST is where he'll need to hang his hat on. Seattle has shown consistently that they'll keep projects on the end of the depth charts if they can be strong ST contributors. This could be especially true given the lack of expected contribution from the RB group on ST. You don't have to be accomplished at your position to earn a spot on the roster. Without having a Robinson/Coleman from the RB group and Lockette from the WR group -- there is a definite role on this club independent of positional ability that can earn a spot on the 53. None of the other WRs save Kevin Smith really are competitive in this regard. And Smith's unavailability and ease of stashing on the PS could make the decision pretty simple.

Also, with the expected reliance on 3 WR personnel groups going forward, I think it's unlikely that we go with only 5 WRs. One or two injuries and you're going to be bringing in street UFAs to produce in games. Probably looking at keeping 9 OL and 6 WRs. I think the attempt to infuse positional flexibility in the OL group is an indication of their thinking.

randomation

Reaction score
So 1 reception for 8 yards but forced a massive PI and should have forced another in the endzone but the refs are blind. Also had a penalty for engaging too early which was rather boneheaded. Overall probably a positive game but needs to step it up if he wants to make the team.

ceehawk80

Reaction score
Give him #84 and it's Joe Jurevicius 2.0.
We need his height, hands, and go up and get the ball over the CB skills.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
I'm sure the team would love to find a way to keep him on the roster, and suspect he's doing a good job making the WR decision difficult. He's moved up from being an afterthought to at least being in consideration for a roster slot. His competition is tough, but him playing move type TE with the Vannett injury might be a way to sneak him onto the roster.