The annual Adopt A Rookie thread

RussB

Reaction score
Malik Mcdowell, i think hes really gonna become a dominant first team all pro type player the guy is just a great athlete and a beast.

BlueThunder

Reaction score
I normally go Defense, but this year I'm strangely fascinated by Amara Darboh. I think he's a lock to make the roster, and not only that, I think he'll wind up at #3 or #4. Dial me up when the season starts. Got a feeling about that kid...

penihawk

Reaction score
BlueThunder":zws01lqx said:
I normally go Defense, but this year I'm strangely fascinated by Amara Darboh. I think he's a lock to make the roster, and not only that, I think he'll wind up at #3 or #4. Dial me up when the season starts. Got a feeling about that kid...

:ditto: I think he is a gamer and becomes one of our best receivers by year 2 or 3. :2thumbs:

UK_Seahawk

Reaction score
I'm rooting for Cyril Grayson because I like the story that while some teams were adding him to their draft boards we had flown him to Seattle to sign a contract. I like the cerebral nature of the scouts instinct.

Most importantly his name is Cyril. It makes me think he should be my grandad or something.

bigskydoc

Reaction score
Chad Newell. RB/FB, Montana State. 6'1" 228#

Kid's attitude epitomizes the Seahawk mantra, "Always Compete."

He's kind of the anti-McDowell in that regard.

Playing for a team that wasn't winning anything, he remained on the field, and contributed, despite a broken wrist, broken ribs, broken fingers, and a knee injury because, "The team needed him." "For me, there was never an option to just be hurt. I wasn’t going to miss out.” He doesn't know the meaning of the word quit.

A walk-on, who clawed his way onto the team as a special teams contributor, then became an every down player, he leaves as one of the key team leaders, on and off the field. He posted over 2,000 yards rushing, and is third all-time for touchdowns scored for the Bobcats.

Practice squad is probably his ceiling, but I'm hoping he has a career similar to my last Big Sky Conference adopt-a-rookie, Brock Coyle, University of Montana

TwilightError

Reaction score
Amara Darboh, WR Michigan. Exactly what we need at WR. Size, work ethic and hands. Also his story is incredible. Easy to wish him all the best.

bighawk

Reaction score
Since I predicted we would trade down to take him Malik a.k.a big leek i had his back before the draft I will ride with my dog till the end. I believe he will Dominate from day one. He is special there is no one I can compare him to but when he physically matures he could have a
Reggie White impact from the inside out. Nazair Jones is a tar heel so I will back him as well.

CamanoIslandJQ

Reaction score
Sounds like PC really likes the "mad bomber", and with the Boykin problems, QB-Skyler Howard is my adopt a rookie.

QB-Skyler Howard, 5-11/208, Pretty close to RW size.
Pro day results: 4.64/40, 2.69/20, 1.60/10-yd splits, 32"/Vert, 9'-7"/Broad, 4.32/20-yd shuttle, 7.38/3Cone
36-th ranked QB, #707-overall at draftscout.com, 21-st ranked QB at draftanalyst.com
2016: 13-games;
-----Passing:
404 att. 247 comp. 61.1%, 3328-yds, 8.2-yds/att., 26-TD's, 10-INT, 146.63-passer rating, 31.1-att/game, 256-yds/game
-----Rushing:
142 rushes, 463-yds, 3.26-yds/avg. *10-TD's*, 10.92-rushes/game, 35.62-yds/game.
-----Total production;
546-plays, 3791-yds, 36-TD's, 6.94-yds/play, 291.6-yds/game.

-----"He's always thrown a good deep ball," said West Virginia coach Dana Holgorsen. (a lot like RW.)
-----10/17/16 - OCT 17 BIG 12 OFFENSIVE PLAYER OF THE WEEK: Skyler Howard, West Virginia, QB, Sr, Fort Worth, Texas...Howard finished with 407 yards of total offense and was responsible for three touchdowns in West Virginia’s 48-17 win at Texas Tech...Completed 21-of-31 passes (67.7 percent) for 318 yards and a touchdown...Long pass went for 53 yards as he had 10 completions of 10 yards or more, six of 20-plus yards and three that went for at least 40 yards...Had 12 carries for 89 yards and two touchdowns with a long run of 20 yards...Marked his third 300-yard passing performance of the season and sixth in his career...Moved past Major Harris on WVU’s all-time passing touchdown list with 42 and needs one more to tie Oliver Luck and Chad Johnston for fifth place on WVU’s career list. - Big 12 Football

TAPE-----http://draftbreakdown.com/video/skyler-howard-vs-maryland-2015/ = 2015 W. Kentucky vs: Maryland
TAPE-----http://draftbreakdown.com/video/shelton-gibson-vs-youngstown-state-2016/ = W. Kentucky vs: Youngstown St
the last tape is WR-Shelton Gibson highlights (a WR I like a lot) with Howard at QB (limited film specifically on Howard.)
Note the 55-yds in the air pass from Howard at 4:24 & the +/-40-yd pass at 5:10, as proof of at a minimum = decent arm strength. Also note in both films that Howard has a fairly quick release & has some running ability to escape rushers and moves around a lot like RW and he also shows some read option capabilities.

My Analysis: He's also too short, just like RW. Howard would appear to have very good leadership traits and the films show that his teammates rally around him. Physically, he has a decent, perhaps well above average arm and features a pretty quick release. He for sure is a raw QB prospect and needs to improve his ball placement, footwork and needs to raise his release point to head level or above on a more consistent basis. Howards running ability is slightly slower but similar to RW, and he appears to be at least similar to RW in escape-ability and in running the read option. IMO, this young QB needs to sit and learn as either the 3-rd QB (possibly on the practice squad) -OR- as a replacement for Boykin (IF, he can put together a convincing enough preseason). Bottom line, we could have an RW clone here & he may be able to learn all the little stuff from his new mentor - RW and become the new #2 QB for the Seahawks and who knows, maybe he replaces RW in a few years when RW decides to run for POTUS.
:smilingalien:

bighawk

Reaction score
Offensively I want Cyril Grayson because of his speed and he is really hungry to show he wants it. I would love to see him as a kick and punt returner until Lockett is fully ready. His speed is intriguing and Pete seems to like him. So Malik on Defense and Grayson on Offense.

Bigpumpkin

Reaction score
RussB":1pn4lawa said:
Malik Mcdowell, i think hes really gonna become a dominant first team all pro type player the guy is just a great athlete and a beast.

Well if he doesn't.....wez gonna be up sh*t creek with no paddles!!!

saroos

Reaction score
I'm going for Jordan Roos. Only because we share the same last name !! Hopefully he sticks around and makes the 53. I will be the first one buying his jersey !!

kf3339

Reaction score
McDowell. I have been asking for several to get a true dominant 3tech who can get constant pressure from the interior. Having Rubin and Mebane created no push at all. Reed may become a little better version of Mebane, but there needed to be a Rubin replacement this year. McDowell hopefully is that guy.

Jones was a nice addition to the rotation as well!

two dog

Reaction score
Nazair Jones.

I expect he will be a strong presence in the D-line rotation
and eventually, a vocal leader.

Gotta love Ted Thompson though.

Hawks46

Reaction score
On offense, Pocic. They are trying him at RT at lot, which means he either wins the job, or pushes ifedi to be that much better. Either way, it makes us stronger at the position.

Defense is going to be McDowell. I was indifferent to this pick at fist, then I watched some tape. I literally felt sorry for this kid, for the season he had with the Spartans and the way that they (mis)used him. I think he's going to be a force, and I hope Bennett helps him find his fire (if that was ever an issue).

I'm really excited to see what McDowell, Nazair Jones and Quinton Jefferson can do for our DL. I see them making a couple veterans expendable, thus saving us a bit of cap space. Also, our DL gets younger, more athletic, and I think more talented.

chris98251

Reaction score
Hawks46":1q92d0pi said:
On offense, Pocic. They are trying him at RT at lot, which means he either wins the job, or pushes ifedi to be that much better. Either way, it makes us stronger at the position.

Defense is going to be McDowell. I was indifferent to this pick at fist, then I watched some tape. I literally felt sorry for this kid, for the season he had with the Spartans and the way that they (mis)used him. I think he's going to be a force, and I hope Bennett helps him find his fire (if that was ever an issue).

I'm really excited to see what McDowell, Nazair Jones and Quinton Jefferson can do for our DL. I see them making a couple veterans expendable, thus saving us a bit of cap space. Also, our DL gets younger, more athletic, and I think more talented.

You only get one, it says Rookie not Rookies.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
McDowell - Defense.......Kit Carson ..er, I mean, CHRIS Carson - Offense, I believe that Pete wants to reinvigorate the Run game.
Chris Carson came out one spot ahead of Mixon, and 13 ahead of Foreman in - SPARQ --- FREAK & SLA.....The guy runs like a man possessed, and like Lynch, doesn't shy away from contact....MORE BRUTE FORCE! :rumble: