The annual is Kearse worth it thread

OP
OP
chris98251

chris98251

Reaction score
austinslater25":29c3kc1i said:
I was against signing Kearse but he was much better this year. I wonder how he fits with Graham back next year tho. They are probably targeted in similar situations.

It just makes us more dangerous, with Kearse on the field we don't tip that it is always a pass, he is a very good run blocker and Graham along with our other receivers in packages make coverage a lot harder to defend. Lockett, Kearse, Baldwin, Graham, Richardson and or Willson and or Lockett set as RB and Richardson out wide, lots of combinations, even with Rawls or Lynch and Michaels in the backfield.

olyfan63

Reaction score
I've written a number of posts this season praising Kearse. I didn't start out there, but studying his play, that's where I wound up. Kearse is on the same page with Russell Wilson and Wilson trusts him. Kearse is an extremely football-smart player who plays within the scheme and makes the right reads and makes huge plays at crucial moments.
I was skeptical of the second round tender $2M+ contract at first for Kearse, but it became clear over the season the Seahawks saw this as his value and they were right, and in fact Kearse outperformed his contract.

Bryce84

Reaction score
I've bashed him over the years as a blocker especially and I still stand by that, but he's a very good #3 WR that I hope they're able to keep. I do think he may have played his way into bigger dollar offers from other teams after this game. I feel like there's some team bound to overreact and pay him.

KillerB

Reaction score
Since No-E started doing damage and the offense (generally) went to a faster passing game, Kearse has shown up. He blocks, he has rapport with Wilson and as long as he's not covered by a #1 or #2 corner he's pretty good as a receiver.

rideaducati

Reaction score
I only object to Kearse as a 1 or 2 receiver. If the Seahawks had a better option, nobody would miss Kearse and the better option would make those plays.

If he stays or if he goes won't really matter because Russell can make receivers look good if they can catch.

SeahawksFanForever

Reaction score
Kearse is easily replaceable. We are talking about #3 WR here. Seahawks should try to save as much cap space as they can by going younger & cheaper. In my opinion, Kevin Smith or Kasen Williams can easily replace Kearse.

TDOTSEAHAWK

Reaction score
SeahawksFanForever":3c5o687c said:
Kearse is easily replaceable. We are talking about #3 WR here. Seahawks should try to save as much cap space as they can by going younger & cheaper. In my opinion, Kevin Smith or Kasen Williams can easily replace Kearse.

I think you are a bit off with him being replaceable. He plays much better than a replacement level player and knows the offense and Russell Wilson well.

Moreover, this offense has been going for years with just ditching good players. I think if he can sign for a good deal it is worth it to keep him.

SeahawksFanForever

Reaction score
TDOTSEAHAWK":14j9qze5 said:
SeahawksFanForever":14j9qze5 said:

I think you are a bit off with him being replaceable. He plays much better than a replacement level player and knows the offense and Russell Wilson well.

Moreover, this offense has been going for years with just ditching good players. I think if he can sign for a good deal it is worth it to keep him.

I am not a Kearse hater like some of the fans are on .net. I wouldn't mind Seahawks keeping him but the price has to be right. Seahawks need major help on OL & DL (Mebane & Rubin are free agents), and there's not enough cap to sign everyone. Russell Wilson's contract numbers for this year are going to make things tougher even if they do get rid of Marshawn Lynch to save some cap. We will see what happens; if there is anyone who can get this job done then it's John Schneider.

Seanhawk

Reaction score
HawKnPeppa":3c05z1es said:
timmat":3c05z1es said:
With the emergence of Locket, and Baldwin taking it to the next level, Kearse makes even more sense to keep actually. He just fits in what Russ does. Unless he asks for an unreasonable amount of money, he really needs to be back. He steps up and makes big catches.

Two T's No E, bro!

Locktt? I don't know, that doesn't look right.

dutchcoug

Reaction score
He's a free agent, so we simple don't resign if we want to part ways. This post is already off to a pointless start.

OP
OP
chris98251

chris98251

Reaction score
dutchcoug":3kcvkfjy said:
He's a free agent, so we simple don't resign if we want to part ways. This post is already off to a pointless start.

Here I will edit my post so that even a Cougar can do it.

QuahHawk

Reaction score
We can't pay Kearse more than Baldwin. Either have to give Doug a raise too or let him walk. I'd like to see Bennett get a raise a well.

Kearse is a great #4 WR and should get close to $4M per, he will take less to stick around but will want most of it guaranteed.

Would still like to see Richardson come back to add speed opposite of Lockett.

massari

Reaction score
smerfy01":17ey5443 said:
drop lynch, give Bennett a 4m bonus as well as signing Kearse to a 3 year $12 million deal.

Also adjust Baldwin's contract by $1-2 million per. The guy outplayed his contract hard and deserves to be rewarded.

So that leaves a decent amount leftover in the cap to look at strengthening o-line while making the people that deserve the money, happy.
Sadly 4M per seems like the market value for a WR vet who puts up 600-700 in a season. I'd probably rather draft a WR to replace him and spend that money elsewhere.

With a salary cap, they can't be giving everybody a raise/new contract whenever they start to play better or the market value for their position rises. Especially 6M between two players which is a big cap hit. Also, where do you draw the line? I mean if they gave raises to Bennett and Baldwin, wouldn't that piss of guys like Lockett, Rawls, Chancellor, Avril ect?

Rob12

Reaction score
Sign this kid. He's young, he's good, he's proven, and Russ loves him.

Look, moving forward, we're a more balanced offense. That doesn't quite mean that we're NE and we're going to be throwing the ball 50 times a game, but Russell's attempts are about to go up. I look at a guy like Kearse and imagine him in a Patriots uniform, and he probably catches 75 balls for 1,000+ yards. He is that talented. He has some holes in his game, but I think losing him would be a very big loss to our offense.

Sometimes, you don't know what you got until it's gone. I don't want to see this offense without Jermaine Kearse. He's not elite, and never will be, but he's very good. He's worth throwing $3-4M at, for sure. If we don't, I'll be kinda pissed.

Rob12

Reaction score
Another thing - Kearse is durable.

Honestly asking, here - has dude ever missed a game as a Hawk due to injury?

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
Last year, Baldwin got 3 years for $13M total, $6.2M fully guaranteed, and with a $4.8M signing bonus.

Based on that, I believe that we could/should sign Kearse for 3 years for $11M total, $5M fully guaranteed and with a $3.5M signing bonus.

dutchcoug

Reaction score
chris98251":2qwi1tra said:
dutchcoug":2qwi1tra said:

Here I will edit my post so that even a Cougar can do it.

**swing and a miss**