The Return of Richard Sherman

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
rcaido":9evozhwb said:
I still root for the guy and wish he was still here. Griffin has been bad this year.

Talk all you want about Sherman being a cancer and some other defense guys. last year we should have been a playoff team but we decided to get a damage kicker that lost us couple games. Also Cable and Bevell....Three studs had career/season injury.

Can you imagine we had the same defense last year w this current team.

This. Griffin has been awful this year. Hate on Sherm all you want, but he played great football for us.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
pittpnthrs":1jw50ozr said:
rcaido":1jw50ozr said:
I still root for the guy and wish he was still here. Griffin has been bad this year.

Talk all you want about Sherman being a cancer and some other defense guys. last year we should have been a playoff team but we decided to get a damage kicker that lost us couple games. Also Cable and Bevell....Three studs had career/season injury.

This. Griffin has been awful this year. Hate on Sherm all you want, but he played great football for us.

Maybe.

But I don't think it's a coincidence that the team kinda turned the corner of being a more positive locker room and buying back into Pete's plan once Earl got hurt earlier this year.

You honestly think Sherman would have behaved through another year of being here on the last year of his contract with Earl? I sure as hell don't.

You can't have it both ways, Sherman's play and not have his negativity like Earl being a constant issue........just as it was the two previous years.

Mad Dog

Reaction score
pittpnthrs":2eczl96p said:
rcaido":2eczl96p said:

True, but you get what you pay for. Our whole secondary and their backups make less than Sherman. They struggle but play to the last blade of grass and those savings mean we can spend on Brown, Fluker and Sweezy on the OL which has made a world of difference to the O. And we'll have some cap room to sign Frank Clark and others.

It wasn't a bad decision IMO even if the returns on the young secondary are not that great right now. Sherm is no longer an elite corner. Just a good one. And you don't pay that money to good corners when you can have average corners for a 10th of the price.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
truehawksfan":132wxie0 said:
Look, I was going to post this question yesterday and decided not too for a specific reason.

This is a divisional game. They’re always tough despite Won-Loss records so no need to give them bulletin board material in what will be a must win game.

In addition, the Niners have several Ex-Hawks players:
-Malcolm Smith will start at MLB
-Cassius Marsh rotates in passing downs
You know these guys will be extra motivated too.

U Mad Bro? Yes, they are pros and they should always play with high effort. Sure, but this is a highly anticipated match up with a chip on everyone’s shoulder so any slight will be used as extra motivation.

Will this be the one reason we win or lose. Duh...no, but just saying why do we need to add fuel to the fire?

What?, do you think that this should be shrouded in secrecy, & that our discussions in here is going to change ANYONES effort level one way or the other?
They are not going to give anything but 100% of everything they have, that's what professionals do.
I don't give a squat what Richard Sherman thinks, he ain't wearing a Seahawks Uniform so he's just another motor-mouth that likes to cheese it up for the media, and has nowhere near the class that Marshawn Lynch has shown since his departure.

TwilightError

Reaction score
I wonder if there will be another trashing article by Sherman before the game?

Hockey Guy

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":29een4v6 said:
Hockey Guy":29een4v6 said:
Sgt. Largent":29een4v6 said:
Hockey Guy":29een4v6 said:
I could be totally wrong on this but couldn't Sherman block being released because he wasn't yet fully recovered from his injury.

.................................and his 14M per year salary on a team that desperately needed cap relief..................................and his mouth....................and his bad attitude.

It was all of it.

But is my question legit? Could Sherman have blocked any release using the "you can't release any injured player" & been able to possibly drag it out & collect his $14M salary(I'll take your word on that #) on injured reserve? I believe he was still in a walking cast at the time & a lot of people thought there was no way he'd be recovered for the start of training camp if ever.

I think he actually did us a solid by agreeing to the release from my limited knowledge of the rules of releasing or trading injured players but could be wrong, hence, my question.

Yes, I guess he could have been a jerk and not accept his release. But then I don't think Sherman could move on either and sign with another team if there's a league inquiry into the situation.

Sherman also wanted to move on, so I wouldn't have understood why he'd want to just hang around and rehab in Seattle until he was healthy, THEN being cut and it being too late to go find a long term deal elsewhere.

Richard had 14M reasons(if that was his upcoming salary) to want to stick around. With that type of injury I can see it being pretty easy to drag it out for the whole season then sign a 1 year prove it deal this coming off-season after sitting out the season. The benefit of the doubt will always go to the player against any team doctor clearing him for play in a possible career ending injury which this looked like IMO.

I can't really get on board with calling him a "jerk" if he had not accepted his release because there was no guarantee he would be ready for any off-season training or for training camp if at all this season. He also could have re-injured himself his first day back training. I could have easily seen them have to put him on IR to start the season & after he's there sit for the year.

The 49ers took a HUUUUUUUGE gamble & he did us a HUUUUUUUge solid by releasing the team from it's obligations which could have put us in cap hell & prevented us from being able to upgrade our O-line because of the timing issue of his release IMO.

Of course I could be totally wrong on every word I've written here.

bmorepunk

Reaction score
Steve2222":exfefsvm said:
Why is everyone talking up SF like they’re some great challenge?

1) NFL Team
2) Division Opponent
3) Only lost to the Cardinals by 3 points.
4) Only lost to the Packers (in GB) by 3 points.
5) Only lost to the Chargers (in LA) by 2 points.

The Seahawks should win, but if you go into this thinking it's going to be easy, you're likely going to be super disappointed with the result.

Seahwkgal

Reaction score
truehawksfan":1rv2b4yz said:
Look, I was going to post this question yesterday and decided not too for a specific reason.

This is a divisional game. They’re always tough despite Won-Loss records so no need to give them bulletin board material in what will be a must win game.

In addition, the Niners have several Ex-Hawks players:
-Malcolm Smith will start at MLB
-Cassius Marsh rotates in passing downs
You know these guys will be extra motivated too.

U Mad Bro? Yes, they are pros and they should always play with high effort. Sure, but this is a highly anticipated match up with a chip on everyone’s shoulder so any slight will be used as extra motivation.

Will this be the one reason we win or lose. Duh...no, but just saying why do we need to add fuel to the fire?
Like any comments here are going to be bulletin board material for real. I am LMFAO right now. :roll:

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":3bwnlv7b said:
pittpnthrs":3bwnlv7b said:
rcaido":3bwnlv7b said:

Maybe.

But I don't think it's a coincidence that the team kinda turned the corner of being a more positive locker room and buying back into Pete's plan once Earl got hurt earlier this year.

You honestly think Sherman would have behaved through another year of being here on the last year of his contract with Earl? I sure as hell don't.

You can't have it both ways, Sherman's play and not have his negativity like Earl being a constant issue........just as it was the two previous years.

No doubt the lock room seems to be in a better place. I dont think Sherman would be happy here, but in a perfect world,,,,,I would rather have his play than Griffins.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Hockey Guy":353j5xkc said:
The 49ers took a HUUUUUUUGE gamble & he did us a HUUUUUUUge solid by releasing the team from it's obligations which could have put us in cap hell & prevented us from being able to upgrade our O-line because of the timing issue of his release IMO.

I don't accept the Niners doing us a solid. They got a great CB for cheap with all the incentives Richard had to agree to.

I'm merely saying I don't think Richard could have dragged out his injury for the entire 2018 season just to try to get his 14M. There is a very specific medical protocol that guys like Kam have to go through to be medically deemed unfit to play.

He played for the Niners on September 9th, so his injury was fine by then............or at least healthy enough to be active and play. So in no way would he have been able to drag out his ruptured achilles the entire 2018 season.

Again, IMO he was just as ready to move on as us. To hang around trying to gain the system against the Hawks for his 2018 salary would not have worked out well for him.

Hockey Guy

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2txnpkyi said:
Hockey Guy":2txnpkyi said:

I don't accept the Niners doing us a solid. They got a great CB for cheap with all the incentives Richard had to agree to.

I'm merely saying I don't think Richard could have dragged out his injury for the entire 2018 season just to try to get his 14M. There is a very specific medical protocol that guys like Kam have to go through to be medically deemed unfit to play.

He played for the Niners on September 9th, so his injury was fine by then............or at least healthy enough to be active and play. So in no way would he have been able to drag out his ruptured achilles the entire 2018 season.

Again, IMO he was just as ready to move on as us. To hang around trying to gain the system against the Hawks for his 2018 salary would not have worked out well for him.

All I'm saying is that at the time of him agreeing to his release there was no guarantee his rehab was going to as well as it obviously did & have him ready for training camp & think it was also believed by almost everybody that he wouldn't be ready.

I think there was a real possibility at the time of his release that he was going to be on IR with us to start the season which would have meant missing & getting paid for the first 8? games which could have prevented us from going out & signing significant help for the O-line before it was too late because of all the cap uncertainty. It turned out his rehab went better than anybody predicted & he started the season but that was far from a guarantee, this is why I think he did us a solid in a roundabout way.

I also don't think I said the 49ers did us a solid. I'll go re-read my posts but, if I did, I didn't mean to.

edit: yeah, I never said the 49ers did us a solid.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
DomeHawk":2qx931bz said:
Try growing up in Compton without the mouth.

And it served him well....................until he turned that mouth against his own teammates, coaches and organization. Then it wasn't so cool.

That's not unique to Sherman, many great players wore out their welcome and had to move on. What makes them great sometimes is also their greatest enemy.

I've got no ill will towards Richard, I wish him the best and hope to see him someday raising the 12th man flag and being inducted into the ring of honor with the rest of the LOB.

Seymour

Reaction score
DomeHawk":1ndtw8p7 said:
Try growing up in Compton without the mouth.

Sherman should try it too, he never did grow up. Just his ego outgrew him.

semiahmoo

Reaction score
toffee":1vyt8wk7 said:
Sherman without the mouth would have been a perfect football player.

Don't mind a little mouth but then the mouth spoke louder than his play and that's when the act got real old real fast...

knownone

Reaction score
It always made me laugh when the national media would call Sherm the best-tackling corner in the league. Don't get me wrong, Sherm was definitely a great tackler who wasn't afraid of sticking his nose in there. It's just that in the entirety of his career he was only the best-tackling corner on the Seahawks for one season. Browner, Shead, and Maxwell, all had higher tackling rates than Sherm and let's be real... No one will ever come close to Browner in terms of physicality.

I wish they'd say that Sherm is the best combination of coverage and run stopping at corner. Because that probably is true in the modern era, although Rod Woodson and Mike Haynes probably have him beat all-time.

DeSeahawk

Reaction score
toffee":1ba58mc6 said:
Sherman without the mouth would have been a perfect football player.

Well put. Was a lot of fun watching him play. Watching him talk was not.

Threedee

Reaction score
The only thing I have never really forgiven Sherman for was the rant. It made him and the organization look bad on national television.

But, I have been so angry with the offensive coaching that I basically agree with everything Sherman has said about the organization. I always would get hopeful when Lynch or Baldwin would disrespect the clowns, as well. Sherman's mantra was that he could talk trash and antagonize as long as he could back-it-up with performance on the field. I believe that extends, off the field, to having the facts on his side. We just saw Bevell and Cable fired, and it now looks as though happy days are here again.