Thomas duo will be shut down, only two to worry about

CANHawk

Reaction score
Papa-pwn":ruy5rm3z said:
They are hardly unbeatable, and their defense will face a huge test trying to deal with Denver's hurry up offense and unlimited offensive depth at every position.

And that defense is record setting in it's own right and itself has nearly limitless depth at every position. this is truly immovable object/unstoppable force time. we can talk about it until we're blue in the face (and given the 2 week break, we probably will) but really the only way to settle it is on the field.

this is really an amazing match up. truly one for the ages. Unlike SF, who was like looking in a mirror, Denver is our complete polar opposite. this is like fire vs. ice, night vs. day... Wayanses vs. Osmonds.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
The battle that decides this game will not be the Denver O against the Seahawk D... Denver will get yards, and inevitably some points. While lots of fun, its almost hyperbole to try and sort out a winner in that battle before the game.

The game will be decided by the Denver D vs the Seahawks O... and I am more and more confident after Sunday's display that Seattle will win this matchup.

youngchew

Reaction score
TzarokHawkFan":2wmd9zt7 said:
They have 5 guys with 10+ TD's, Thomas 1 & 2 aren't their only targets.

This. D Thomas, Wes Welker, Julius Thomas, Eric Decker all 10+ touchdowns. Knowshon Moreno 1,000+ yard rusher and 500 yards receiving, 10 touchdowns. Shutting down Demaryus Thomas and Julius Thomas is literally not even half the battle, as three other guys are legit threats. People on here keep saying how Peyton hasn't faced a defense like Seattle's this season. Well, Seattle D hasn't faced an offense like this.

You cannot blitz Peyton Manning, because he will "Omaha Omaha" the hell out of it, make adjustments, and pass to the open hole in the exposed defense. If Seattle can get pressure on Peyton with just 4 (which I believe they can), it will be a long day for Manning. He doesn't like having to move around much in the pocket. Not having much arm strength left, Peyton needs to be comfortable and be able to set his feet to throw.

Miile High

Reaction score
Uncle Si":2luwmcxv said:
The game will be decided by the Denver D vs the Seahawks O... and I am more and more confident after Sunday's display that Seattle will win this matchup.

Agreed. Seattle D might slow him down, but Peyton will score some points.

Being somewhat of a game manager, I'm anxious to see how Russell Wilson handles the pressure if Seattle falls behind and he is forced to throw the ball a lot. If its a low scoring game, Seattle probably feeds Beastmode. But if Peyton puts up points and Wilson is forced to make a lot of throws, I'm not sure Wilson can hang with Peyton in a shootout type of game.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Miile High":1xpsea1d said:
Uncle Si":1xpsea1d said:

Being somewhat of a game manager, I'm anxious to see how Russell Wilson handles the pressure if Seattle falls behind and he is forced to throw the ball a lot. If its a low scoring game, Seattle probably feeds Beastmode. But if Peyton puts up points and Wilson is forced to make a lot of throws, I'm not sure Wilson can hang with Peyton in a shootout type of game.

Game manager?

Russel Wilson is a playmaker. you only have to watch the last game vs San Fran to know that. He's had his off weekends, but Wilson is one of the most dynamic QBs in the league. This offense isnt one that panics when it goes down, and it hasnt struggled against defenses outside the top 5.

To be honest, going down a score, or even two, wont make much a difference in the game plan unless its late. But truthfully, against the Denver D, i'd have no issues with Wilson dropping back and throwing and running.

Hawks46

Reaction score
Miile High":29hcswkp said:
Uncle Si":29hcswkp said:

Well, let's see....we've come from behind by 21 points this year. Has Denver done that ? Wilson also came from behind 20 points, and 10 points in the playoffs on the road last year. I agree that our offense isn't built to win a shootout, but it's not 3 yards and a cloud of dust and that's all we got, either. Keep in mind, Wilson tied Manning's rookie TD record with 26, but he also had 5 on the ground. He's tied Manning's 2 year record with 52, but he set a NFL record for being the only player to have 100+ QB ratings in his first 2 years. This isn't a guy that just hands it off to Lynch.

I agree with Uncle Si. If we can establish the run game, it will keep our defense off the field and rested. If we doink it on offense like we've been doing of late, well then Manning will probably no huddle our defense to death and wear them out. Manning is also capable of going no huddle and then switching to the ground game once we're gassed. We have to keep our defense fresh and attacking; if they are on their heels it's going to be a long game.

That said, we're not built to win a shootout with Denver. The defense still needs to get some stops. Our defense averages a turnover every 5 offensive possessions. So, if we stay to the average, and we can keep Manning to 5 possessions per half by running the ball, we get 2 turnovers, plus we're keeping Manning off the field. That's 8 possessions he has to do something with. It's still a lot to stop. We're going to need at least 4 punts. Speaking of which...

Seattle's ST's are WAY better than Denver's. If you guys kick it off to us, it's coming back. If you're punting, Tate has the 2nd highest return average in the NFL. He doesn't take a lot to the house, but he gets us good field position more often than not. Field position can give even sputtering offenses field goals. Points are going to matter.

NINEster

Reaction score
StorytellerMatt":23vb7ink said:
This game reminds me a bit of the first Patriots SB victory, where they went in having no chance against the greatest show on turf. As I recall, their DBs gave up the short routes in the middle and then made the receivers pay. By the second half, St. Louis's receiving corps was hearing footsteps. For all the accolades Tom Brady has received since that season, we forget that the Pats had a staunch defense that shut down St. Louis's highly potent offense.

This is absolutely true.

But, it's not 2001 anymore. The rules are a lot different now regarding that type of physical play.

It was Bill Polian who got after the officials post 2004 for the way the Patriots DBs would mug the Colts' receivers, and that's why there's a marked difference between the way passing offenses performed before and after then.

Seattle's biggest competition in the NFC are teams with offenses that play into their blueprint (SF, CAR). Stack the box against good running games, and force a talented but still somewhat inexperienced QB throw the ball against a really talented secondary.

It's quite a bit different going against Denver, or a healthy New England with their QBs and offenses.

If the Seahawks really have the best defense in the NFL like they claim then they'll win this game. If they lose they are IMHO a tick behind SF and CAROLINA defensively. This game being outside of Seattle will take away some of the aura, esp. with a reduced pass rush and run stopping ability.

The weather is the real x factor here.

CANHawk

Reaction score
lol. Russell Wilson's a game manager? looks like somebody only reads the stat sheet. you wouldn't think "game manager" if you watched him play a few times...

Hawks46

Reaction score
DistantHawk":j7bw6csq said:
Is KJ really that fast??

No. He ran a 4.7 at the combine, which doesn't mean all that much, but he's NOT a 4.4 guy.

Thing is he uses great technique and he's 6'4" so those long arms make up for a lack of a step. He shut Graham down and Graham is a 4,5 guy, which J. Thomas isn't. Graham is also 6'7

Forty times don't always mean that much. Sherman ran a high 4.5 at the combine. They way they electronically time the forty at the combine, it starts as soon as you twitch. So guys with elite get-off, and guys with track experience can take advantage of that. It isn't the same as on a football field. Sherman is proven (on Sports Science) to have one of the fastest recovery speeds in the NFL.

Guys like KJ Wright, who are 6'4" and 250+ lb aren't going to have elite get off (unless you're Bruce Irvin). Thing is, you don't need that at LB in the NFL.

It doesn't always translate: look at how freaking explosive Cliff Avril is. I believe he ran a 4.5 or 4.6 at the combine (which is still very fast for a DE). Clemons ran a 4.6. You'd think he was faster, but he uses great technique more often than not.

CPHawk

Reaction score
Seattle is 3-0 this year when trailing by 10 or more.

themunn

Reaction score
Miile High":1ldcjkta said:
Uncle Si":1ldcjkta said:

See:

Seattle at Atlanta, January 13 2013. Down 20-0 at the half with the running game all but shut down, Russel Wilson leads a Seattle rally to take a 28-27 lead with 31 seconds remaining on the clock, going 13-17 for 235 yards 2 TDs and 0 INTS and a 157.1 QB rating, and 34 rushing yards + 1 TD, supplemented by 19 yards from Marshawn lynch on 8 carries for 2.4 YPC, and Robert Turbin similarly went for 19 yards (on 3 carries).

Atlanta drive down the field and kick a field goal to give Seattle the ball with 6 seconds remaining. Wilson tosses an interception in the endzone on a 60 yard hail mary pass.

Tampa Bay at Seattle, November 3 2013
Down 21-0 at the half, Russell Wilson rallies the Seahawks to an OT win, going 16-19 for 199 yards, 2 TDs and 1 INT (at the TB 3 yard line, having driven teh Seahawks down the field) for a QB rating of 123.5. This time he is supplemented by 73 yards on 14 carries by Lynch, though it should be noted that 44 of those yards came on 6 OT carries. In the second half, Lynch went for 29 yards on 8 carries, Turbin added 16 yards on 3 carries.

Both that Atlanta defense and this year's Tampa defense were far better against the pass than this year's Bronco's defense, so I don't anticipate Wilson having a problem if the game is put in his hands

Natethegreat

Reaction score
NINEster":mysvsfsy said:
StorytellerMatt":mysvsfsy said:
This game reminds me a bit of the first Patriots SB victory, where they went in having no chance against the greatest show on turf. As I recall, their DBs gave up the short routes in the middle and then made the receivers pay. By the second half, St. Louis's receiving corps was hearing footsteps. For all the accolades Tom Brady has received since that season, we forget that the Pats had a staunch defense that shut down St. Louis's highly potent offense.

This is absolutely true.

But, it's not 2001 anymore. The rules are a lot different now regarding that type of physical play.

It was Bill Polian who got after the officials post 2004 for the way the Patriots DBs would mug the Colts' receivers, and that's why there's a marked difference between the way passing offenses performed before and after then.

Seattle's biggest competition in the NFC are teams with offenses that play into their blueprint (SF, CAR). Stack the box against good running games, and force a talented but still somewhat inexperienced QB throw the ball against a really talented secondary.

It's quite a bit different going against Denver, or a healthy New England with their QBs and offenses.

If the Seahawks really have the best defense in the NFL like they claim then they'll win this game. If they lose they are IMHO a tick behind SF and CAROLINA defensively. This game being outside of Seattle will take away some of the aura, esp. with a reduced pass rush and run stopping ability.

The weather is the real x factor here.
Ahh nice throw in the caveat at the end there so you can have an excuse when Seattle wins. That way no credit need ever be given to your rival team that just kicked you out of the playoffs.

Miile High

Reaction score
LOL @ all the quotes generated from the game manager comment.

Look guys, Wilson is a good QB. He's smart, mature, humble, all that good stuff.

Wilson is 44th in pass attempts per game among all QBs. 44th! Wilson only averages 25 pass atempts per game, one of only 3 full time starting QBs who average less than 30 passes a game.

Look guys, I'm not out to attack Wilson...he's a good guy, and the right QB for that team. But a QB who only throws the ball 25 times a game? Not a whole lot is being asked of him. Russell Wilson is not asked to put the team on his back and lead them to victory the way Rodgers, Brady, Romo, Stafford, etc. are. Those guys all throw it a lot more than Wilson because their defenses are suspect so they have to put up a lot of points to win.

Wilson on the other hand, benefits from having the #1 defense in the NFL, so Seattle's offense doesn't have to score a whole lot of points to win. Let the defense do its thing, feed Marshawn Lynch, and Wilson is asked to make smart, safe throws when he needs to. Seahawks are 2nd in the league with 509 rushing attempts, the only team that ran the ball more was Buffalo. Seattle is a run-first team. Wilson is like a more athletic Alex Smith.

Seattle's offense did manage to put up a lot of points this season, but when your defense leads the entire NFL with 39 turnovers, Seahawks got a ton of extra possessions, often times on a short fields...

The bottom line point I'm trying to make is this: Russell Wilson averages 25 pass attempts a game. That's dead last among starting NFL QBs. That's a game manager. Wilson is a really good young QB, but he isn't asked to go out there and sling it on a weekly basis like many other young QBs are...Luck, RG3, Tannehil, etc. All those guys average 35 or more passes per game, 10 more than Wilson. Wilson's job is to hand it off to Marshawn, and make smart throws when necessary.

themunn

Reaction score
NINEster":25s3algh said:

So hang on, if Seattle lose, that means Carolina and SF have better defenses? Because they would have been able to shut the Broncos down?

Seattle, SF and Carolina played 7 common opponents. Even allowing for the fact that Seattle's homefield advantage is greater, they still conceded far less points than both defenses against their common opponents.

seahawks08

Reaction score
If game management is what it takes to win games I will take that any day.

mjwhitay

Reaction score
The best offense in history has scored 50 points in two playoff games. Seattle? 46. Against two top five defenses.

I guess Seattle must be an all time great offense, too.

We got to the playoffs and Denver looks like the 2007 Pats. Seattle wipes the floor with them. I'm very serious. 41-24