Thought Experiment: Could the Seahawks hang 27 on any team?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RCATES

Reaction score
As a team including turnovers absolutely. Could the offense put up 4 TD's on their own with long drive's? Absolutely not. This front office has gotten overly confident in their lack of concern with the O-Line and its finally going to come full circle without being able to protect RW's blind side with a serviceable LT.

Its time we fans start to except that Cable is not a very good coach and PC is not the superior football mind we claim he is. RW and Lynch simply bailed them out offensively.

Watching NE play last night made things come full circle. Their O-Line is near the bottom of the pay scale as well but they execute and are in sync. That's good coaching people.

I can't even remember the last time I watched this offense perform at a high level with Russ having time in the pocket and throwing darts. Its really sad what has happened to this team. A healthy Lynch was what made this offense work.

We lost Lynch, Mebane, Okung and Irvin on a team that had to travel on the road to make the SB last season. What have we gained this year that is better or replaces those guys?

Some will say I'm overreacting but the truth is our window is closing people. We don't have the coaching staff to keep this train rolling. It really makes you admire what NE has been able to do all these years.

OP
OP
M

mrt144

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":2qxmar0g said:
mrt, would it bother you if we won 6-3 on Sunday?

Yes and no. Id take a win and cherish it but id still be dubious about the offense and wonder openly about progress being made.

Im holding out for positive signs of life on the offense before i ramp up my enthusiasm to obnoxious.

dogorama

Reaction score
The saying "on any given Sunday" applies here too. This saying demonstrates that statistics will tell you that the better team will win more often but there are anomalies. Sometimes these anomalies are based on the lesser team just playing better and sometimes they are based upon unforeseen factors. This game was a little of both but trying to make a comparison to Seattle isn't relevant because we didn't know going into the season that our 1st string QB would not be available and that we would need an addl QB. (I realize that NE wasn't the "lesser" team but teams that are down to their 3rd string QB are typically at an extreme disadvantage.)

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
The answer is no..........we can barely score 10 points with our #1 QB, Jake Heaps would be in a hospital right now if he had to start a game, let alone hang 27 on even the Browns.

I love Pete, but Belichick is the greatest coach in NFL history, and he's proving it this year. Pete's too stubborn and rigid in his philosophies. While Belichick is the most fluid schemer ever, not hesitating to change how he attacks teams on both sides of the ball game to game, and even play to play.

It's exactly why Belichick can plug and play any position on the field and still win...................and Pete needs everyone to be hitting on all cylinders to pull off what the Pat's did last night.

kf3339

Reaction score
mrt144":edvs4xn0 said:
So watching the Pats last night, my gears got turning and led me to a burning thought:

Could the Seahawks score 27 points against any NFL team with their current offense and all that entails: Personnel, injuries, scheme, coaching, etc etc. Throw out historical refrence for a moment and think about the current team and the competition that's coming up.

Could the Seahawks score 27 points with their 3rd string QB?

Could the Seahawks score 27 points against a team that doesn't have a good to great D line?

As I mulled over the question I started making a list of teams where it's not beyond belief that they could do this:

Chicago Bears

Okay, now that the list is out of the way, I think the question moves to "What makes an offense capable of overcoming adversity" and I think it comes down to two things: Depth of talent and creativity/inspiration of the OC to work with the abilities and talent of players available. While the Texans played pretty poorly it's not random or a mistake that the Pats are 3-0 without Tom Brady.

While this has been discussed in other threads, it really seems like the Pats racket is getting the best out of what they have while the Seahawks racket is being better at specific things than the opponent that tilt the game in our favor. Essentially we're a finely tuned machine that is limited or enhanced by the oppositions strengths while the Pats are an adaptive machine whose performance seems to not be inhibited by the opponent strengths since they're so damn adaptive.

I don't see this as a source of jealousy but as a source of inspiration - if the Pats can do something well, surely we can glean something from it as well and incorporate parts of it. I'm not saying we have to reinvent the wheel, rather, we should see if we can get some of those design elements from the Pats into our wheel. Maybe throw in a few spokes, add in rubber tires, white walls if we're feeling fancy, who knows?

I admit, there are few things I appreciate more than seeing someone or something learn something and then deploy that knowledge against the very people or thing they picked it up from. Grasshoppers snatching pebbles and all that.

With this offense right now......NO. Not doubtful, Just NO.

kf3339

Reaction score
RCATES":1tvp5keo said:
As a team including turnovers absolutely. Could the offense put up 4 TD's on their own with long drive's? Absolutely not. This front office has gotten overly confident in their lack of concern with the O-Line and its finally going to come full circle without being able to protect RW's blind side with a serviceable LT.

Its time we fans start to except that Cable is not a very good coach and PC is not the superior football mind we claim he is. RW and Lynch simply bailed them out offensively.

Watching NE play last night made things come full circle. Their O-Line is near the bottom of the pay scale as well but they execute and are in sync. That's good coaching people.

I can't even remember the last time I watched this offense perform at a high level with Russ having time in the pocket and throwing darts. Its really sad what has happened to this team. A healthy Lynch was what made this offense work.

We lost Lynch, Mebane, Okung and Irvin on a team that had to travel on the road to make the SB last season. What have we gained this year that is better or replaces those guys?

Some will say I'm overreacting but the truth is our window is closing people. We don't have the coaching staff to keep this train rolling. It really makes you admire what NE has been able to do all these years.

I saw the same thing about NE's offensive line, and there are no perennial All-Pro's on that line.

iigakusei

Reaction score
RCATES":45f3io0x said:

Just curious if you watched the Seahawks last year?
This board has gone bananas.

Jimjones0384

Reaction score
Seymour":1wuapnof said:
Anyone care to explain what this thread is all about (the point)? Not able to read the entire first post....but baffling. :?:

Just more chicken little bs. I wonder how many threads we can come up with to argue the same points. Do you think we suck? My word. I hope they blow the 49ers out of the water. I want to see what the reaction will be if they do.

OP
OP
M

mrt144

Reaction score
Jimjones0384":2hneecrz said:
Seymour":2hneecrz said:
Anyone care to explain what this thread is all about (the point)? Not able to read the entire first post....but baffling. :?:

Just more chicken little bs. I wonder how many threads we can come up with to argue the same points. Do you think we suck? My word. I hope they blow the 49ers out of the water. I want to see what the reaction will be if they do.

Adulation that some steps were taken towards rousing our lethargic offense? Honestly, taking the season 16 steps at a time and ratcheting expectations based on filling out the previous steps isnt chicken little bs. I dont do faith, I do managable expectations. Im not withholding the possibility of improvement, im withholding faith in improvement. Theres no deterministic outcomes in football, one of the biggest and exciting reasons to watch.

I want to reiterate that part of what I love about football and loved about last year was seeing adjustments made and the Hawks looking like ballers for real. And to me, the question of why did we win or lose is going to be fundamentally more interesting to me than did we win or lose.

Hawks46

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":1ksfsmkf said:
If a team turns the ball over twice deep in their own territory on kick off returns like the Texans last night... any team in the league can 'hang 27' on an opponent.

This.

If we get turnovers, yea sure. Not many teams can reliably hang 27 or more points on any given team without turnovers.

Our offense right now ? No. Wilson needs to be healthy, and Bevell does a terrible job adapting game plans to opponents weaknesses.

We have the talent and personnel, but we don't utilize them properly.

BigMeach

Reaction score
It amazes me how much people jump the gun after the first 2 games of the season... Few seasons ago Pats started 0-2 and everyone thought it was over for them. Brady was over the hill and Belichick lost it... Just like 2 games in the this season, Seahawks O hasn't gotten it together and "OOOO they could never put up 27 points against any team if they had a 3rd string QB, only Bill B the god could do that"

Gimme a break.

MD5eahawks

Reaction score
BigMeach":1ma4k4u4 said:
It amazes me how much people jump the gun after the first 2 games of the season... Few seasons ago Pats started 0-2 and everyone thought it was over for them. Brady was over the hill and Belichick lost it... Just like 2 games in the this season, Seahawks O hasn't gotten it together and "OOOO they could never put up 27 points against any team if they had a 3rd string QB, only Bill B the god could do that"

Gimme a break.
Easy there. We have to wait til after 4 games cuz 2-2 would be a disaster.

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
MD5eahawks":9nq2g6gh said:
BigMeach":9nq2g6gh said:

Gimme a break.
Easy there. We have to wait til after 4 games cuz 2-2 would be a disaster.

We don't have to wait another week to see 27 points by our offense, though; the overall record at the bye isn't the point of this thread, right? Start a prediction thread if you want to argue about 2-2 vs. 3-1.

I had this thread in mind as we went into half-time. The final score doesn't really show how lop-sided most of the game was, either.

Status
Not open for further replies.