To move Cross, or not to move Cross?

Which position should Charles Cross play in 2024?

• LT

Votes: 71 89.9%
  • LG

Votes: 6 7.6%
  • RT

Votes: 1 1.3%
  • Other

Votes: 1 1.3%

• Total voters

toffee

Reaction score
Our starting LT Charles Cross, he played ok in his rookie season although outshined by Lucas at RT. He was injured in his sophomore season but still graded out ok. I noticed that he got pushed around some, and often couldn't stop the pass rusher after contact, even when his hands landed on the chest of his opponents. Not sure if it was skill or strength?

Is he still our franchise LT? Or a chance of position will maximize his potential?

Seahawker

Reaction score
OT seems to be top heavy in this draft with so many slated for the 1st round that there will be a few fall to day 2.
I hope we grab one before day 3.
Our draft needs should be concentrated to, OT, OG, DT, LB, S.
QB only if they really, really like him regardless of round.
We need more offensive line depth and TALENT.

Last edited:

Aircrew

Reaction score
Funny, I've been mulling this very question over as of late. IMO, if there's an upgrade available in the draft, we take it and move him to LG. If not, keep him at LT.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
This is a Tom Cable-type suggestion. Let Cross play LT and see if our new OL coach can help him develop. Besides, we don't have anyone who can fill his spot.

I agree. Let's see if he rebounds from the injury and plays better under new coaching. Drafting a replacement just in case isn't a bad idea though.

SeaWolv

Reaction score
Our starting LT Charles Cross, he played ok in his rookie season although outshined by Lucas at RT. He was injured in his sophomore season but still graded out ok. I noticed that he got pushed around some, and often couldn't stop the pass rusher after contact, even when his hands landed on the chest of his opponents. Not sure if it was skill or strength?

Is he still our franchise LT? Or a chance of position will maximize his potential?
Sounds like RT material to me.

Fudwamper

Reaction score
Cross is an above average LT. Consistently good. Not Great but good. We don't need to replace him. He doesn't need top tier tackle money. If both parties can agree to that there is no need to move on. Let the money match the play.

If you can put 5 consistently good linemen together you have a situation where the sum is greater than its parts line. That's tremendous value in the NFL.

Should you be drafting Tackles? Yes. 3rd/4th round T/G's. Look for potential. Use your higher end draft Capital for other Premium positions. Cross could play for 10 years plus. Use this time to develop T and get the other positions right.

cymatica

Reaction score
Cross is an above average LT. Consistently good. Not Great but good. We don't need to replace him. He doesn't need top tier tackle money. If both parties can agree to that there is no need to move on. Let the money match the play.

If you can put 5 consistently good linemen together you have a situation where the sum is greater than its parts line. That's tremendous value in the NFL.

Should you be drafting Tackles? Yes. 3rd/4th round T/G's. Look for potential. Use your higher end draft Capital for other Premium positions. Cross could play for 10 years plus. Use this time to develop T and get the other positions right.
This. I think people just expect more out of him based on his draft position. He might be even better after 2 years experience

OP
OP
toffee

toffee

Reaction score

To my untrained eyes, he is an average to below average LT up to this point, Kind of serviceable but hasn't shouted 'franchise LT' with his plays.

ElvisInBlue

Reaction score
To my untrained eyes, he is an average to below average LT up to this point, Kind of serviceable but hasn't shouted 'franchise LT' with his plays.
It was a given he needed to improve strength/ body weight distribution when drafted. He made good progress on that between years 1 & 2.

Then came the injury and a bit of a plateau. No sense in overreacting before we see year 3.

Fudwamper

Reaction score
To me he is a Franchise LT, just not Hall of Fame/ All Pro LT. He is a franchise LT as long as HE understands he is not Hall of Fame All Pro LT and accepts notch below All Pro salary.

chris98251

Reaction score
Lucas would be my concern with the knee, he missed several games, not sure if he is having it repaired or if it can be, I and in the event of course we draft a Left handed QB, that needs to be a LT type focus and we may need one in the draft, fortunately RT are much cheaper and easier to find, we would probably have our pick of the top 3 even in the third round.

RiverDog

Reaction score
Still feels like he needs another year. Both our Tackles were clearly playing thru some stuff last year. (damn, that sounded like Pete)
Agreed.

PFF had Cross graded out at 67.6 overall, or 38th amongst tackles. Since there are two tackles on the field, that's essentially 19th out of 32 teams, or slightly below average the way I read it. What's dragging him down is his run blocking, where he had a 58.3 grade, or 50th amongst starting tackles, which was the rap on him coming out of college.

The offensive line works as a unit, and bad play at one position can have a direct impact on another. If we can get improved play out of our guards and center, it's going to help Cross's performance. He's not a Pro Bowl tackle, but he's not dog meat, either. We have bigger fish to fry.

SeaWolv

Reaction score
Looking at how our Oline graded out on PFF is appears we may have a couple of decent tackles in Cross and Lucas. It takes time for T's to git gud (health caveats always apply). Cross is our highest rated T at #42 (@ 75% of snaps). Many of the highest rated T's didn't start hitting their stride until year 3, so perhaps we have that on tap for one or both.

According to PFF our G play is more concerning. Our highest rated G is Lewis (#49) and he and Haynes appear to have regressed in 2023. This may be an area JS needs to focus on in the draft.

I can't seem to find any recent data on the Cross knee injury, anyone got anything?

Last edited:

Hawkinaz

Reaction score
Moving a guy from OT to OG is one thing moving from LT to RT is harder some have compared it to if you have been writing with your left hand all your life than trying to write right handed

i would like to see how Cross will do with a new coach, when Cross came out the other 2 LTs that were drafted before him are doing worse ( Ekwonu and Neal)

Last edited:

Latest posts