To move Cross, or not to move Cross?

Which position should Charles Cross play in 2024?

• LT

Votes: 71 89.9%
  • LG

Votes: 6 7.6%
  • RT

Votes: 1 1.3%
  • Other

Votes: 1 1.3%

• Total voters

nwHawk

Reaction score
Barking isn't going to make him a great center. How do I know? 12s were impressed by Austin Blythe, dude excelled in barking.
True, but I have a feeling that Olu’s “bite” is more intense that Blythe. Maybe not, but give the kid a chance.

OP
OP
toffee

toffee

Reaction score
True, but I have a feeling that Olu’s “bite” is more intense that Blythe. Maybe not, but give the kid a chance.
Of course, I have my fingers crossed and pray that Olu will turn out to be a great center.

RiverDog

Reaction score
Maybe he fell to the 5th round because people make assumptions about his ability due to him being 6'2".
Very possible, perhaps even likely. Point is that the awards don't mean jack when it comes to how players are evaluated.

nwHawk

Reaction score
Some fans act like centers plug and chug, but I don’t feel that way. Look at Max Unger’s impact on Seattle and the center position since he was traded. Then consider his impact on the Saints.

I don’t want to hope a JAG is going to save the day.

SeaWolv

Reaction score
Point is that the awards don't mean jack when it comes to how players are evaluated.
They may not mean jack to you but I doubt GM's don't factor them in at all. They do deep dives on these guys and those awards speak to a players football IQ, which is just as important as skill.

Oly

Reaction score
If some enormously graded LT fell to #16, then, sure, pick him. LT is such an important position that if you're sure the long term answer is on the board, then you pick him.

I just think that's so unlikely to happen as to be irrelevant. The truth is that our tackles are not the problem, unless the medical staff has really bad news about Lucas' knee. Given the holes at QB, interior OL, DL, LB, and S (provided they cut Yikes and Diggs, which they should), I'd rather see them take care of those positions.

RiverDog

Reaction score
They may not mean jack to you but I doubt GM's don't factor them in at all. They do deep dives on these guys and those awards speak to a players football IQ, which is just as important as skill.
Awards are interesting tidbits that help fill in a background like growing up in a single parent household, but I seriously doubt that a GM's use them as any kind of deciding factor when it comes to the draft. Hell, even the Heisman Trophy isn't looked at except from a PR standpoint to sell more tickets.

JPatera76

Reaction score
As someone else mentioned. He wasnt bad under solari, under dickerson he fell off or had a slump. Just like Riq on the other side. So im interested in seeing what the coaching does now. As i firmly believe that Coaching on all levels was the why were seeing the slumps.

Fresno Hawk

Reaction score
Did you look at the poll results? You're not the only one.
Nope, I guess I should have check that. Not trying to give anyone a hard time but I don't think this shouldn't be a question at this point in his career.

OP
OP
toffee

toffee

Reaction score
As someone else mentioned. He wasnt bad under solari, under dickerson he fell off or had a slump. Just like Riq on the other side. So im interested in seeing what the coaching does now. As i firmly believe that Coaching on all levels was the why were seeing the slumps.
I couldn't agree more!!

OP
OP
toffee

toffee

Reaction score
Nope, I guess I should have check that. Not trying to give anyone a hard time but I don't think this shouldn't be a question at this point in his career.
I beg to differ, amongst many other the possibilities, one could not dismiss the possibility that Cross could be an all-pro LG but a mediocre LT. Good coaches ought to consider all angles.

Mad Dog

Reaction score
Why on earth would we move Cross. Am I the only one that seems to think it's premature after only his second year.
Agree. Especially since you could argue every member of the Hawks underachieved last year. Well, maybe not Mafe or Witherspoon.

bigcc

Reaction score
I beg to differ, amongst many other the possibilities, one could not dismiss the possibility that Cross could be an all-pro LG but a mediocre LT. Good coaches ought to consider all angles.
Based on what exactly

Maybe he's a hall of fame caliber nose tackle, how much time should be devoted on figuring it out?

Maybe the TWENTY THREE year old LT shouldn't have his focus muddied on the prospect of playing guard.

The entire premise of this thread is ludicrous.

RiverDog

Reaction score
I'm not sure about Riq. His big problem is tackling, which is a fundamental skill he should have had for quite some time. He may have had the same problem in '22, just that it wasn't exposed like it was this past season. I'm not sure if you can blame the coaching staff for his sloppy tackling.

A coaches' job is to put players in a position to succeed. Like my old HS coach used to tell us "...and play football from here," the implication being that from "here", it was up to the player.

That doesn't mean that I disagree with your premise. Coaching is critical in player development, and I'm anxious to see how our players perform under new management.

Last edited:

RiverDog

Reaction score
Honest question: How many All-Pro guards started out as left tackles? Do you have any examples?

bigcc

Reaction score
Honest question: How many All-Pro guards started out as left tackles? Do you have any examples?
Not the guy you asked, but rodger saffold comes to mind directly LT to start career to all pro guard.

I'm sure that's not the only example as I'd assume at least a few were drafted as a tackle and slid inside when they couldn't play it as a starter early in their career.. . But saffold is a fairly recent example especially when you consider most all pro guards end up getting the honor numerous times.

bigcc

Reaction score
I'm not sure about Riq. His big problem is tackling, which is a fundamental skill he should have had for quite some time.
That's a massive brush off of tackling lmao, there aren't many cbs regularly blowing up running plays for a reason.

Also, he didn't play corner until his Jr year in college after playing wr....

So calling it a fundamental skill he should have is not a very fair assessment

RiverDog

Reaction score
That's a massive brush off of tackling lmao, there aren't many cbs regularly blowing up running plays for a reason.

Also, he didn't play corner until his Jr year in college after playing wr....

So calling it a fundamental skill he should have is not a very fair assessment
You can rationalize Riq's sloppy tackling all you want. All I can say is that Pete benched him for it, so obviously it's a huge problem, and I'm dubious that a simple change in his coaches is going to fix it.

BTW, Riq's tackling issues went beyond just stopping the run. I wish I could find a stat for YAC allowed by a DB to a WR, but Riq allowed a whole helluva lot of YAC to the receivers he was covering.