Tom Johnson released

Reaction score
mikeak":guhmkyq9 said:
Glasgow Seahawk":guhmkyq9 said:
Grabbed by the vikings. Piss poor squad management after guaranteeing his salary.

Actually - correct me if I am wrong but wont' this move the salary to the Vikings books? So if we weren't taking him back then it was a good thing

Signing bonus $900k is ours

Salary becomes theirs

Only if he was traded or picked up from waivers. Neither are true here. He MIGHT have offset language in his contract, which would cut out some of what the Seahawks owe if his new contract is bigger, but that is unknown.

And comp pick? No. You definitely don't get a comp pick for anyone you cut nor anyone signed this late in the year.

It DOES put the Seahawks closer to getting one by dropping someone who would have canceled out a comp pick, if they actually lost that many qualifying players. But they're still a long way away.

https://overthecap.com/compensatory-dra ... ion-chart/

OP
OP
Blitzer88

Blitzer88

Reaction score
Guaranteed salary, cut, signs with another team.........great player management FO.............

mikeak

Reaction score
QuickLightning":1uekowqa said:
mikeak":1uekowqa said:
Glasgow Seahawk":1uekowqa said:
Grabbed by the vikings. Piss poor squad management after guaranteeing his salary.

Actually - correct me if I am wrong but wont' this move the salary to the Vikings books? So if we weren't taking him back then it was a good thing

Salary becomes theirs

Only if he was traded or picked up from waivers. Neither are true here. He MIGHT have offset language in his contract, which would cut out some of what the Seahawks owe if his new contract is bigger, but that is unknown.

And comp pick? No. You definitely don't get a comp pick for anyone you cut nor anyone signed this late in the year.

It DOES put the Seahawks closer to getting one by dropping someone who would have canceled out a comp pick, if they actually lost that many qualifying players. But they're still a long way away.

Yeah I know about comp pick that was someone else. This is not the season for comp picks :)

Did miss the nuance about going through waivers

Yep looks like we just spent $1.8MM on a player for nothing. What a complete waste

Hey Earl how about you get $1.8 MM if you show up for training camp will that work? Sure that would be ok

eternalpurple

Reaction score
mikeak":1jokbrpd said:
Glasgow Seahawk":1jokbrpd said:

Salary becomes theirs

I could be wrong myself but i believe this is how it works. The Vikings signed Johnson to a contract worth UP TO 1.5 million. I don't know what the Seahawks guaranteed to pay him but what ever amount the Vikings pay him comes up short of his guarantee..............................You pay him.

By the way Johnson is a very good back up but he is a so so starter.

mistaowen

Reaction score
Not a huge deal in the grand scheme because it's a 30+ year old Tom Johnson, but it's just another rock onto the pile of garbage this year. Guy gets a million dollars guarantee for 1 game 1 tackle and then goes on to sign with his former team.

Coug_Hawk08

Reaction score
I know it’s not a lot of money in the grand scheme, but the player that replaced him on the roster didn’t even play. . . Either hold him, or cut him week one. Seems a bit like the FO made a mistake here.

Jville

Reaction score
Good question. Is John telegraphing to agents of future aging players that Seattle is a destination for double dipping opportunities? Did they come to a fork in the road on choosing the future or now? Or did John,indeed, nod off.

mrt144

Reaction score
mikeak":1oobgsy0 said:
QuickLightning":1oobgsy0 said:
mikeak":1oobgsy0 said:
Glasgow Seahawk":1oobgsy0 said:

Salary becomes theirs

Yeah I know about comp pick that was someone else. This is not the season for comp picks :)

Did miss the nuance about going through waivers

Yep looks like we just spent $1.8MM on a player for nothing. What a complete waste

Hey Earl how about you get $1.8 MM if you show up for training camp will that work? Sure that would be ok

And it's stuff like this that makes me bristle like hell when people are like "RW's salary is binding us in intractable ways" No, doing stuff like this over and over quickly adds up without even close to the same utility.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
We should have a board with all the blown $$$ in bad FA signings.

It would be interesting to see just how much that adds up.

Jville

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/bcondotta/status/1042541701598830592[/tweet]