Trade Sherman?

onepicknick

Reaction score
chet380":1e5b679s said:
Hawkspur":1e5b679s said:
Assuming Sherman was traded, what compensation would Seahawks fans be satisfied with? Would, say, a trade to the Jags for their 1st and 4th plus Jalen Ramsey be enough? I think i'd be on board with that but not a lot less, and getting that much would be tough. And my willingness to do it would assume that the FO felt Sherman was becoming a negative influence and that it would free up enough cap room to get a good o-lineman and possibly d-lineman in as well.
The thread was started with the premise that the Hawks needed rebuilding (Ol particularly) and perhaps a different Def plan of attack (#31 getting older, #29 talking retirement, #25 seemingly dissatisfied) together with taking advantage of Sherman's very high present value. As well his $$$ contract would be off our books.

Hawkspur's hypothetical trade is probably what a trade might fetch (except they would never give up Ramsey) -- I would want a 1-10 Rd 1 pick, a 4th Rd pick and a serviceable lineman. At 1-10, an elite RB, OL or CB.

But even if we traded one of the best CB in the league what makes you think this would help the OL woes as what Seymour posted about Cable. The way I see it he wouldn't know talent if it bit him.

We need someone who knows how to evaluate talent on the line and how to coach them up just my 2 cents.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":1sw6mais said:
cover-2":1sw6mais said:
I don't think too many want to trade Sherman because of a few flippant remarks, or blowups on the sideline. For me, its the fact that our offense is soooo inconsistent and we lack the talent to be the smash mouth, ball control team on offense that got us to the "TWO" Super Bowls. It is a cold hearted move to trade Sherman, but he has incredible trade value which would yes weaken the defense, but the defense doesn't live and die with or without Sherman. We trade Sherman and we have a quick fix for the offensive side of the ball. Trade Sherman then use the picks to draft a generational talent at RB in LSU RB Leonard Fournette and still have the draft ammo to draft the best run blocking OT in the draft. Minus Sherman's contract would give us the ability to give a pay raise to Bennett and sign the best stud free agent OG.

First of all, the notion we would trade Sherman is utterly ridiculous.

Second of all, trading Richard Sherman in the 2017 offseason would cost us $11.6M in dead money. We'd literally sacrifice $11.6M just to ship him off somewhere

Third of all - we just gave a pay raise to Bennett (oh wow imagine that!) and uhhh.. there are no stud FA OL to speak of next offseason. We also had at least 31M in cap room prior to the contract extension today, and that could even be too low as the final cap figure for 2017 hasn't been revealed yet. So even if they lock up Britt and re-do deals for Kam and Avril, they're still sitting on plenty of room to go for a FA or two - thats without giving up the best corner on the team, and arguably in all of football.

Fourth - He doesn't have nearly as much trade value as you envision. Sherman is widely seen as a system corner. Sherman will also be 29 years old next season, so his prime years are behind him. No one is giving a great deal of draft capital for a 29 year old corner making $11M a year and who may or may not be a locker room nuisance (I don't think he is, but if you're trading him out of the blue next year.. it would definitely raise that into question)

Sherman is not going anywhere until at least 2019. Until then, this is absurd.
BINGO! Well stated!

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
onepicknick":70ijezzw said:
chet380":70ijezzw said:
Hawkspur":70ijezzw said:
Assuming Sherman was traded, what compensation would Seahawks fans be satisfied with? Would, say, a trade to the Jags for their 1st and 4th plus Jalen Ramsey be enough? I think i'd be on board with that but not a lot less, and getting that much would be tough. And my willingness to do it would assume that the FO felt Sherman was becoming a negative influence and that it would free up enough cap room to get a good o-lineman and possibly d-lineman in as well.
The thread was started with the premise that the Hawks needed rebuilding (Ol particularly) and perhaps a different Def plan of attack (#31 getting older, #29 talking retirement, #25 seemingly dissatisfied) together with taking advantage of Sherman's very high present value. As well his $$$ contract would be off our books.

Hawkspur's hypothetical trade is probably what a trade might fetch (except they would never give up Ramsey) -- I would want a 1-10 Rd 1 pick, a 4th Rd pick and a serviceable lineman. At 1-10, an elite RB, OL or CB.

But even if we traded one of the best CB in the league what makes you think this would help the OL woes as what Seymour posted about Cable. The way I see it he wouldn't know talent if it bit him.

We need someone who knows how to evaluate talent on the line and how to coach them up just my 2 cents.
Another solid point! :2thumbs:

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":1o5q1e89 said:
cover-2":1o5q1e89 said:
I don't think too many want to trade Sherman because of a few flippant remarks, or blowups on the sideline. For me, its the fact that our offense is soooo inconsistent and we lack the talent to be the smash mouth, ball control team on offense that got us to the "TWO" Super Bowls. It is a cold hearted move to trade Sherman, but he has incredible trade value which would yes weaken the defense, but the defense doesn't live and die with or without Sherman. We trade Sherman and we have a quick fix for the offensive side of the ball. Trade Sherman then use the picks to draft a generational talent at RB in LSU RB Leonard Fournette and still have the draft ammo to draft the best run blocking OT in the draft. Minus Sherman's contract would give us the ability to give a pay raise to Bennett and sign the best stud free agent OG.

First of all, the notion we would trade Sherman is utterly ridiculous.

Second of all, trading Richard Sherman in the 2017 offseason would cost us $11.6M in dead money. We'd literally sacrifice $11.6M just to ship him off somewhere

Third of all - we just gave a pay raise to Bennett (oh wow imagine that!) and uhhh.. there are no stud FA OL to speak of next offseason. We also had at least 31M in cap room prior to the contract extension today, and that could even be too low as the final cap figure for 2017 hasn't been revealed yet. So even if they lock up Britt and re-do deals for Kam and Avril, they're still sitting on plenty of room to go for a FA or two - thats without giving up the best corner on the team, and arguably in all of football.

Fourth - He doesn't have nearly as much trade value as you envision. Sherman is widely seen as a system corner. Sherman will also be 29 years old next season, so his prime years are behind him. No one is giving a great deal of draft capital for a 29 year old corner making $11M a year and who may or may not be a locker room nuisance (I don't think he is, but if you're trading him out of the blue next year.. it would definitely raise that into question)

Sherman is not going anywhere until at least 2019. Until then, this is absurd.

Not to mention other teams might not want to deal with his mouth. His shenanigans this month are actually making him LESS tradeable.