Trade up to the number 3 to get Anderson ????

RiverDog

Reaction score
Why isn't anyone suggesting there's a possibility for AZ to take a QB at 3?

New Coach, GM and KM won't be healthy by beginning of season. There's plenty of reasons they'd want to pick their own guy. ...seems like it's just as likely as Seahawks at #5...???
For the same reason that Denver isn't in the QB market. Murray is signed to a huge contract and has under performed, meaning that his trade value is in the toilet. The Cards are stuck with him and have no choice but to make it work.

RiverDog

Reaction score
We're all just guessing dude. But seeing how John and Pete's thinking has evolved (and stumbled at times) with how they draft?

They seem to put a very heavy emphasis on value picks, while also a heavy emphasis on need.

There's certainly value in Richardson or Levis, but probably around pick 20, not pick 5. WAY too much risk, and not filling an immediate need either. Bad teams are the ones that continually overvalue these QB's, and get burned over and over.
It's hard to say how Pete and John are going to work this draft. They haven't had two first round picks since their first season 12 years ago, and they haven't had this much draft capital ever. As a rule, we go into a draft needing additional picks, prompting us to trade down. Does that mean that with more picks that they might trade up instead? Hell if I know.

The 2022 draft was a bit out of character. In the past, they've put a low value on offensive linemen, but last year, we took two in the first three rounds. Does that mean that they've had a change of heart and might take a center early?

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Does that mean that they've had a change of heart and might take a center early?

I wouldn't be surprised if we drafted one of the top stud centers at 20 like Avila or Schmitz. Or dropped down to pick up another 2nd and drafted them at 25, etc.

Interior O-line is a major need, so no one should be surprised if we go center or guard anywhere from late 1st to 3rd.

BASF

Reaction score
The Murray contract being prohibitive is a bit overblown. They will be out of cap hell with that contract in 2025. As one of the people who have actually watched Anthony Richardson games instead of highlights, I think the time frame works for when Richardson would actually be ready to run an NFL offense and them cutting Murray on February 10, 2025. I could definitely see them snag Richardson and let him sit as the backup to develop. Murray will also miss a few games here and there, so it's not like Richardson won't get some work.

AgentDib

Reaction score
The 2022 draft was a bit out of character. In the past, they've put a low value on offensive linemen, but last year, we took two in the first three rounds. Does that mean that they've had a change of heart and might take a center early?
I wouldn't put it that way because I don't think you can group offensive line positions together. Taking a LT early is very on brand as that's what we have drafted both times this FO has been in position to get a top prospect. We also traded draft picks one year in exchange for a pro bowl LT when we were drafting later and couldn't get a top prospect.

Our investment tier has been LT >> RT > C > OG historically. That might be changing because the Rams have made do with cheaper, small athletic centers and we got an ex-Rams center with our first center acquisition after the transition to their offense. Of course center is also a big need right now so anything is on the table really and nothing should be too much of a surprise.

ClutchDJ

Reaction score
The Murray contract being prohibitive is a bit overblown. They will be out of cap hell with that contract in 2025. As one of the people who have actually watched Anthony Richardson games instead of highlights, I think the time frame works for when Richardson would actually be ready to run an NFL offense and them cutting Murray on February 10, 2025. I could definitely see them snag Richardson and let him sit as the backup to develop. Murray will also miss a few games here and there, so it's not like Richardson won't get some work.
You know they actually need talent just about everywhere right? Factor that + Kyler’s contract, there’s no chance in hell they’ll draft a QB at 3. Just wishful thinking for Anderson to slide.

BASF

Reaction score
You know they actually need talent just about everywhere right? Factor that + Kyler’s contract, there’s no chance in hell they’ll draft a QB at 3. Just wishful thinking for Anderson to slide.
Oh, I don't think for a second that the Cards would actually draft Richardson. If they are smart, they will trade down and get more draft capital including a 2024 first round pick. However, that Kyler contract is only two more years before he is cut.

chrispy

Reaction score
Have you looked at Kyler Murray's contract?
KMs contract has dead money decreasing each year. 33mil after '24, 20 after '25. If you were a new GM/HC, would you want to build around KM? ...or draft his replacement while you have a #3 and time.

If they do stick with Murray, he's not a typical skillset where they could slide someone else in seamlessly in a year or two. I'm not saying they'll definitely pick a QB. But it's just as likely as the Seahawks...in my opinion. Seahawks have Geno for a couple years and AZ has Murray for a couple but no one to start the upcoming season. KMs contract and dead money have no impact on the need for a QB to start the season. You've gotta get someone... it could be the future face of the franchise or spend millions for a Sam Darnold type.

Bear-Hawk

Reaction score
Anderson, Carter or Trade.

People have fallen in love with the idea of Richardson. Based on how high he jumps & how fast he can run. But have lost touch with who he is as a QB. Let some other team deal with that headache.

Listening to Schneider, I really don't think they're gonna go in that direction.

This is a prime opportunity to grab one of the two best players in this draft. In a major area of need.

If you're not sold on Carter, then trade the pick & continue to stack the roster with Day 1 & 2 prospects.
If the primary job skills at QB were the ability to run fast and jump high, Richardson would be destined for the Hall of Fame.
However, the brain is the body part rather than the legs that makes a great QB. That’s what makes it so hard to draft a QB. The most critical skills cannot be measured with a stopwatch or a yardstick.

BASF

Reaction score
I would love to hear what some of you actually define the term generational talent as being. Anderson is not a generational talent. Damn good, and I would love to have him as a Seahawk, but generational does not fit him.

vonstout

Reaction score
I think the more likely scenario would be Atlanta trading up to #3 to get the third QB in front of Indy and both Carter and Anderson are there at 5. I would NOT trade up. If Anderson goes at 3, a lot of the talking idiots on Sportstalk here in Chicago area think we will take Carter. With Jones signing that’s not likely. I would take Wilson or maybe even trade down if Atlanta wants to make sure nobody else moves up. Who knows, the Bears might trade up for Carter if Anderson is gone. I’d definitely move back if we can get another first rounder next year. It’s supposed to be a stronger draft

vonstout

Reaction score
Raiders signed Jimmy G. I don’t see them moving up after that, but who knows

HawkinNY

Reaction score
I say use a second round or third round pick on a QB. That kid from Tenn looks good. Top billing talked about him.

James in PA

Reaction score
Raiders signed Jimmy G. I don’t see them moving up after that, but who knows
Jimmy G is a stopgap. They could still be targeting a guy like Richardson or Levis, knowing they won't be ready to go anytime soon.

RiverDog

Reaction score
I wouldn't put it that way because I don't think you can group offensive line positions together. Taking a LT early is very on brand as that's what we have drafted both times this FO has been in position to get a top prospect. We also traded draft picks one year in exchange for a pro bowl LT when we were drafting later and couldn't get a top prospect.

Our investment tier has been LT >> RT > C > OG historically. That might be changing because the Rams have made do with cheaper, small athletic centers and we got an ex-Rams center with our first center acquisition after the transition to their offense. Of course center is also a big need right now so anything is on the table really and nothing should be too much of a surprise.
I can see your point, but even under the terms you've laid out, we haven't spent draft capital on the OL like we have with other positions.

I'd have to go back and look for it, but I once did a little research on our drafting priorities, which round we took certain positions at over the past 6-7 years or so, weighted them by the round we took them in to get an average. OL, including tackles, was way down the list. That was before the 2022 draft, which seems to have represented a change in priorities, or at least I hope so.

Additionally, in the past we seemed to have considered the interior line positions as a haven for busted tackles. Ifedi, Britt, and Carpenter were all moved inside when they weren't cutting it at tackle. Hopefully, we've changed our philosophy.

Nv_Hawks

Reaction score
Would adding Anderson, when we have Nwosu, Taylor and Mofe who all play same position, be that big of an upgrade? When getting gashed up the middle, it affects everything. Don’t we need middle help or does Anderson play outside backer?

RiverDog

Reaction score
Would adding Anderson, when we have Nwosu, Taylor and Mofe who all play same position, be that big of an upgrade? When getting gashed up the middle, it affects everything. Don’t we need middle help or does Anderson play outside backer?
Now that we've added Jones in free agency, we've addressed that need for help in the middle. If we were to draft Will Anderson with our #5 overall, it could revolutionize our defense for several years to come.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
I would love to hear what some of you actually define the term generational talent as being. Anderson is not a generational talent. Damn good, and I would love to have him as a Seahawk, but generational does not fit him.

200 tackles, almost 35 sacks in three years and a laundry list of awards longer than your arm.

Guess the question really is what is YOUR definition of generational, cause how many guys come out of college with this pedigree, if not generational. Which IMO means once every 10 years or so.

BASF

Reaction score
200 tackles, almost 35 sacks in three years and a laundry list of awards longer than your arm.

Guess the question really is what is YOUR definition of generational, cause how many guys come out of college with this pedigree, if not generational. Which IMO means once every 10 years or so.

You and I are close on the definition. Here's the caveat, if Micah Parsons had not opted out of the 2020 season due to Covid, his numbers would easily be on par with Anderson. Parsons is only two years, three months and six days older. Hence, Anderson is not a generational talent. I do believe Anderson is a fantastic talent. If we didn't have so many OLB under contract and so few at other positions, I would be banging the drum for us to draft him.

Latest posts