Transition to put it on Russ

kobebryant

Reaction score
RCATES":ox31doap said:
. The Pete experiment

Experiment?

This is year 9. 6 playoff appearances, 4 divisional titles, two NFC Championships, and one Super Bowl victory in 8 years. Regardless of how it ends, it has been an objective success by any measure and far from an "experiment".

justafan

Reaction score
Schadie001":2gkggopd said:
The notion that Russ isn't elite isn't based on anything other than opinion. His stats, the fact that he carried our entire offense last year accounting for 97% of our TD's would factually say absolutely the opposite. It is always easy look at every camera angle after the fact that say Russ missed this or that. He has not had protection since he arrived in Seattle and has probably in the past 3 years (not counting this year yet) played behind a bottom 5 Oline. You can't say that with the "elite" QB's in the league. Russ has brought this team back multiple times in the fourth qrt with amazing play only to have our "elite" Defense blow a lead. Game one on the road in Denver hasn't turned out well in for 18 of the past 19 teams. We miss back to back FG's, give up a 4th qrt lead (again) and get a TD called back and another one given, also a fumble recovery and people are in fing crazy mode. I don't get it.

Agreed. I will side the NFL players opinion and agree he is one of the elite Qbs in the league.Even when he pisses me off

I get pissed when we are talented and should win but with the talent level we have I just try to enjoy the games.
If Pete gets us in the playoff hunt with this roster it may be his best coaching he has done since he has been here.

adeltaY

Reaction score
There may be holes in his game, but when was the last time the pass protection was dominant? Not good, average, solid, but dominant? Brady, Brees, Rodgers, et. al. have those kinds of games on the reg. No, I'm not talking about them throwing the ball super quickly to make the OL look better, I'm talking about how every fifth play they can stand back there for 4+ seconds and scan the field. Can't remember the last time Russ had a game like that and it sure as heck hasn't been consistently.

Russ will be scrutinized by me and many others here because he must be perfect this year for us to compete for the playoffs. Why? Because PCJS failed to surround him with a good OL and supporting cast. Now it's all on him and with Baldwin out it's about as difficult as could be with the D as green as it is. The effects of every third down squandered, every drive-ending sack, and every turnover are magnified this year because there is no elite D to fall back on. Oh, and the run game has yet to prove it doesn't suck. Sorry Russ, but this is how it is now.

acer1240

Reaction score
I agree with Twisted to an extent. An elite QB to me involves superior pocket awareness and the ability to throw a receiver open.
I rarely see Wison demonstrate either ability

acer1240

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":3dckdxqa said:
Dear god, it never ends. Russ can't hit an open man?
I give up, finally.

I don't know if that was directed at my post but I'll respond anyway.

What I was trying to say is that that the elite quarterbacks all have an ability to place a ball to a covered receiver to where only the receiver has a chance to make a play on the ball. Inside, high shoulder placement on an outside technique tightly covered go route for instance.

This could also be a product of Pete's protect the ball philosophy as well though

Seymour

Reaction score
acer1240":a6m3ysfk said:
SoulfishHawk":a6m3ysfk said:
I give up, finally.

What I was trying to say is that that the elite quarterbacks all have an ability to place a ball to a covered receiver to where only the receiver has a chance to make a play on the ball. Inside, high shoulder placement on an outside technique tightly covered go route for instance.

This could also be a product of Pete's protect the ball philosophy as well though

Pete's entire program is all about the ball and no turnovers. Wilson has had that hammered into him from day 1 to not take risks. Of course this is byproduct of Pete's system. It took Pete and Bevell 3 years to even get around to throwing a jump ball to Graham.

adeltaY

Reaction score
acer1240":39v1hr3a said:
SoulfishHawk":39v1hr3a said:
I give up, finally.

You're right, acer.

Cmon soulfish, you know there's a difference between throwing a guy open and hitting an open receiver.

adeltaY

Reaction score
For the record, I think Wilson cans and does throw guys open, he usually opts not to. Probs because he is very risk averse.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
I just hope we start pounding the rock to set up the pass. It's massively needed, and would benefit him greatly.

adeltaY

Reaction score
Not a big run game proponent generally, but can we run for a first down on 3rd and 3 or less? That would be really nice.