Very Frustrating Development -- Losing An Elite Player

sutz

Reaction score
If we're going to go on a 10 game losing streak because we lost one player, then we're not as good of a team as we thought we were. IDGAF how good Harvin is or isn't. That is immaterial IMHO. He's now a Jet, and since I don't care much about the Jets, I don't much care about Harvin any more.

In effect, he's a first round draft pick that didn't work out for the long term. God knows we've seen plenty of those in Seattle. ;)

dontbelikethat

Reaction score
RunTheBall":4tujtmqa said:
"During offseason conditioning before the 2007 season, the team was running stadium steps and at one point, Harvin, according to sources, sat down and refused to run. When confronted by strength and conditioning coaches, Harvin—who failed to return calls and texts to his cell phone to comment on this story—said, “This (expletive) ends now.”

“The next day,” a former player said, “we were playing basketball as conditioning.”

It only got worse as Harvin’s career progressed. At one point during the 2008 season, multiple sources confirmed that Harvin, now a prominent member of the Minnesota Vikings, physically attacked wide receivers coach Billy Gonzales, grabbing him by the neck and throwing him to the ground. Harvin had to be pulled off Gonzales by two assistant coaches—but was never disciplined."

http://thevikingage.com/2012/04/10/perc ... t-florida/

I'm sure they were well aware of his past, and I'm also sure they thought they could change him (as probably many team do lol) or he's changed. Seattle at the time of the trade had a very strong locker room. A lot of leadership gone during this off season with the departure of Mike Rob, Red Bryant and Chris Clemons.

HawkAroundTheClock

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":15t2w7px said:
Regardless of whatever else is true, it sucks to watch such a supremely talented player go to another team.

End of story.
Regardless of whatever else is true, it sucks to watch such a supremely talented player come to my favorite team, be given every opportunity – physically, mentally, emotionally, nutritionally, medically – to become the best version of himself and he proves to be at his core an entitled, indignant, selfish, angry, confrontational jackass.

Oh well. Moving on.

endzorn

Reaction score
He didn't fit here. Too much time is spent trying to invent cute ways to put the ball in his hands when we're better off jamming the ball down a team's throat. If this means a couple less third and 12s then I'm all for it.

m0ng0

Reaction score
Percy is an elite talent without a real position, he is not an elite receiver, he is not an elite running back, he is not someone they could build their offense around. I think we really tried to use him as an asset to our offense but it did not work. Its almost like we were running a version of the wildcat, its a neat little gimmick for a while however teams adapt and adjust. It required the Seahawks offense to bend to far away from the scheme that got us to a super bowl last year and they decided he just wasnt worth it. It also "seems" Percy is an elite douchebag" and a diva and when things dont go his way he pouts and disrupts things. All those bubble screens could have been Beast up the middle for 5. I suspect he will thrive with the Jets because they have nothing else. Best of luck to you Percy and also Rex Ryan......you my friend will need it!

Donn2390

Reaction score
chet380":3vnj5j00 said:
There is nobody on this team, INCLUDING WILSON, who is as "head and shoulders better" than Harvin -- elite players rarely become available and somehow we have allowed this one to get away.

If this happened b/c the OC couldn't develop offensive schemes that didn't exploit Harvin's exceptional skills coherently, then an OC who could do so should have been found -- it's not as if any OC brilliance has been evident this year.

For those poor-mouthing Harvin now that he's gone, let me remind you about his 3 called-backed TD's -- how many other WR's in the whole league could have made those plays? ELITE!!
Everyone is allowed to have an opinion, even when they are completely wrong.. You're excused...

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
m0ng0":1rf4nnif said:
Percy is an elite talent without a real position, he is not an elite receiver, he is not an elite running back, he is not someone they could build their offense around. I think we really tried to use him as an asset to our offense but it did not work. Its almost like we were running a version of the wildcat, its a neat little gimmick for a while however teams adapt and adjust. It required the Seahawks offense to bend to far away from the scheme that got us to a super bowl last year and they decided he just wasnt worth it. It also "seems" Percy is an elite douchebag" and a diva and when things dont go his way he pouts and disrupts things. All those bubble screens could have been Beast up the middle for 5. I suspect he will thrive with the Jets because they have nothing else. Best of luck to you Percy and also Rex Ryan......you my friend will need it!
Really good post IMO. Agree with you on all accounts.

OP
OP
C

chet380

Reaction score
Donn2390":1spo99sx said:
chet380":1spo99sx said:
There is nobody on this team, INCLUDING WILSON, who is as "head and shoulders better" than Harvin -- elite players rarely become available and somehow we have allowed this one to get away.

If this happened b/c the OC couldn't develop offensive schemes that didn't exploit Harvin's exceptional skills coherently, then an OC who could do so should have been found -- it's not as if any OC brilliance has been evident this year.

For those poor-mouthing Harvin now that he's gone, let me remind you about his 3 called-backed TD's -- how many other WR's in the whole league could have made those plays? ELITE!!
Everyone is allowed to have an opinion, even when they are completely wrong.. You're excused...

Thank you for your highly informative and well-researched response to my post.

I'm so grateful that you've "excused" me.

Jville

Reaction score
I guess there is a mix of responses to the news of the Harvin exodus. In my case, I'm relieved that the Harvin era is finally coming to an end. I made no emotional investment in Harvin .... so it is easy for me to say ...... he is who the Vikings warned us he was.

chris98251

Reaction score
Got this from a portion of an article, it must have been pretty bad.

While there’s a theory making the rounds that the Seahawks feared Harvin would launch a mutiny against quarterback Russell Wilson, there’s a separate theory that Harvin was in danger of being on the wrong end of a Code Red from teammates who had enough of his angry, moody, erratic ways.

I seen the first part, but the Code Red part I had not, if the players were that pissed it could have got ugly fast, no wonder they moved him mid week and for so little.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
chris98251":27l60y0s said:

While there’s a theory making the rounds that the Seahawks feared Harvin would launch a mutiny against quarterback Russell Wilson, there’s a separate theory that Harvin was in danger of being on the wrong end of a Code Red from teammates who had enough of his angry, moody, erratic ways.

I seen the first part, but the Code Red part I had not, if the players were that pissed it could have got ugly fast, no wonder they moved him mid week and for so little.
Man if that's even half true we should count our blessings.

HomerJHawk

Reaction score
MizzouHawkGal":zsjhsx8v said:
chris98251":zsjhsx8v said:

Man if that's even half true we should count our blessings.

Exactly.

Whatever Percy's issue, its good to cut that out for the good of the team. Now we can focus on getting this offense back on track. We'll see about the rest of the season, but its good to see the FO didn't let this fester any longer.
We got games to win!

Go Hawks.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
lvnginhwktwn":twiekvsw said:
chet380":twiekvsw said:

Doesn't matter how good he is if he is poisoning your entire locker room. It's like cutting off a limb to save the body. I think in the long run your team will be better without him.
This.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
-The Glove-":2v7q3jep said:
I'm not so sure Harvin is better than Wilson...if you're talking about athleticism, sure...nobody is more athletic than Percy. But as a complete player, give me RW
I'm damned sure that he isn't better than Wilson...PERIOD!
Although the Defense was lights out last Year, it was Wilson and NOT Percy that was Quarterbacking in all those wins, INCLUDING NFCCG, AND the Super Bowl.
This ain't a question..... how many games last Season did Harvin put the game on his back, and carry the Seahawks to a crucial needed WIN.
Hell, even Tate gave a lot more of himself to the Seahawks Offense, than Harvin did, and he did it without all the unheralded bragaboos of Percy Harvin.
Everyone that is holding Harvin up for his being a special, one of the best, supernatural, un-expendable, take it to the house at any moment kind of player, and other than his kick-off return in the SB, I still haven't seen him really blow any doors off in our games.
Seems to me like he was being mollycoddled to keep him from throwing a tantrum, or punches.
Sometimes, being a POSSIBLE threat isn't enough to warrant keeping a malcontent in the wings.

Dabhawk

Reaction score
THERE IS NO PLAYER BIGGER THAN THIS [{ TEAM }] for all you whining about Harvin leaving, you need to take a step back and look at this from a coaches perspective. No superstar athlete is worth any amount of production (especially Harvin's) if there is and has been tension in the locker room building up over dramatic character issues. These things happen (i.e. Ochocinco, TO, Desean Jackson) and I completely trust our GM and Head Coach and if you don't then why follow this team in the first place? You kids on this site crack me up. Have faith for Christ sake. Looking forward I can't wait to see Russ throw some deep bombs set off of the play action. Watch for BEAST to have a career game tomorrow as he's gonna be getting plenty of touches

Jville

Reaction score
CALIHAWK1":3asndk68 said:
Why when we have 3 dozen mods on the board are they allowing 5 dozen threads on the same topic?

This thread is not specifically about the Seahawks. It was triggered by the feelings of an individual poster over a Seahawk event.

I think a lot of the duplication is driven by the individual emotions and feelings of each OP. We seem to have at least two classes of posts. There are posts primarily about the Seahawks. And then there are these types of posts and threads which are really about individual posters.

We are fortunate the board in not being overwhelmed by hundreds of these posts about ..... posters.

gargantual

Reaction score
I think we saw Pete and his coaches turn malcontents in a positive direction so often that we've come to expect it, and therefore if that wasn't accomplished then blame has to be assigned somewhere.............to someone.

This is finally one that didn't work out. Polishing that shiny Lombardi is sufficient consolation to dry my tears about it.

NJSeahawk

Reaction score
CALIHAWK1":23xqug21 said:
Why when we have 3 dozen mods on the board are they allowing 5 dozen threads on the same topic?

I think they are fans first, mods second, in pretty much one of the most controversial topics in Seahawks history.

Latest posts