Washington @ Arizona

GeekHawk

Reaction score
So I'm watching it on my laptop on the Pac12 network. While waiting for the last snap, I get a notification on my phone that we won... So much for the suspense!

OP
OP
SeatownJay

SeatownJay

Reaction score
I'm not sure what the issue is with Gaskin this year, but Coleman is clearly the better back right now.

OP
OP
SeatownJay

SeatownJay

Reaction score
GeekHawk":1ckyqen1 said:
So I'm watching it on my laptop on the Pac12 network. While waiting for the last snap, I get a notification on my phone that we won... So much for the suspense!
That's on you for checking your phone. :p

JSeahawks

Reaction score
Always tough to win in the desert. Especially night games for some reason. Better play a lot better against STanford.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Overall I think the Dawgs played like crap, outside of the O-line and Coleman.

Defense gave up too many points to basically a one-man offense in the 2nd half, and I haven't seen a worse display of tackling since my soph-frosh highschool teams days. Jake Browning was beyond HORRIBLE in the 2nd half as he missed a ton of open receivers and threw a moronic pick at the goal line. Kicker and punter were craptastic as well.

Yes, they won, but when you don't put away an inferior opponent they will beat you a lot of the time, and that nearly happened.
I'm glad UW won, but feel they got lucky a bit as they were stepping on their own manhood for most of the game.

dogorama

Reaction score
1. There is a lot of parity in the Pac-12 right now, none of the teams, including Stanford, look dominant.

2. Defense had it too easy first three games, this is a team they beat 49-3 last year.

3. For some reason, Gaskin isn't getting off like last year, luckily Coleman is.

4. As good a coach that I think Petersen is, his game management and his OC's play calling is suspect at times. Choosing Gaskin on 4th and 1 on their 28 late in the game was NOT a good choice.

5. Short week and Stanford's lines will be problematic.

6. A win is still a win and they did what they had to do when they needed to do it.

7. The myth that the Seahawks can't beat the Rams and the Huskies can't win in Arizona has at least been 50% dispelled.

Glasgow Seahawk

Reaction score
Uw needed a game like that after the cupcakes. Lets both sides of the ball know they arent world beaters yet.

Thought we were really sloppy at times. On offense the missed fgs made things hard along with the dumb pick and not making 4th downs.

On defense we needed to stop them running the read option. Their qb is fast but mot a great passer. He gouged uw with his running a few times.

Regardless, as said above its hard to win in the desert. We broke that drought no matter how ugly. Hopefully we break other droughts this season. They arent easy to do.

Big test on friday but im glad its at home. I said before the season id take 1 out of 2 against stanford and oregon. I still think we are a season away from really competing but stanford struggled tonight as well. Its all about stopping mccaffery.

dogorama

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":36jyw5ds said:
Yes, they won, but when you don't put away an inferior opponent they will beat you a lot of the time, and that nearly happened.
I'm glad UW won, but feel they got lucky a bit as they were stepping on their own manhood for most of the game.

There will always be games like this, the important thing is they overcame adversity and finished. This an immature team, both in terms of age and owing to the fact that they have never been here before. We'll see how they do against Stanford, I wouldn't write them off just yet.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
JSeahawks":v4pl6fsd said:
Always tough to win in the desert. Especially night games for some reason. Better play a lot better against STanford.
That is right it is very tough but it's a win and I'll take it.All teams play like crap at times and do not match up with certain teams very well.I'm sure as hell not thinking Stanford is just going to roll over UW because of this game.

jkitsune

Reaction score
Will take any road Pac-12 win - those have been immensely tough to come by against anyone other than OSU and WSU for the Dawgs. Obviously need to play a lot better to beat Stanford, though.

We will find out very soon whether we're trying to play for a mid-level bowl or a Pac-12 title.

fenderbender123

Reaction score
I feel like Washington can fix some of the mistakes. You know, like:

* NOT trying to rake the football out of the QBs hands and just sack him when it's 3rd and 25 so that he can wiggle away and throw a long pass down the field.

* Jake trying to force a pass into the endzone while scrambling.

* Having 2 defenders covering a WR on a rollout, and then BOTH leaving the coverage to chase the QB while he's rolling out, leaving the WR wide open for a touchdown.

Overall, I thought the playcalling looked good. They kept running the ball. I had no problem with giving it to Gaskin on 4th and 1. He's the RB that can break tackles and move the pile...but there was NO blocking at all.

What REALLY worries me is the kicking game. I have this sick feeling that our kicking game might cost us a great season.

dogorama

Reaction score
fenderbender123":2c0mojg2 said:
I feel like Washington can fix some of the mistakes. You know, like:

* NOT trying to rake the football out of the QBs hands and just sack him when it's 3rd and 25 so that he can wiggle away and throw a long pass down the field.

* Jake trying to force a pass into the endzone while scrambling.

* Having 2 defenders covering a WR on a rollout, and then BOTH leaving the coverage to chase the QB while he's rolling out, leaving the WR wide open for a touchdown.

Overall, I thought the playcalling looked good. They kept running the ball. I had no problem with giving it to Gaskin on 4th and 1. He's the RB that can break tackles and move the pile...but there was NO blocking at all.

What REALLY worries me is the kicking game. I have this sick feeling that our kicking game might cost us a great season.

I like your post except for one thing, Gaskin goes 5-9 190 and has already had problems getting those short yard conversions this year. You have a guy who is EXACTLY the same size as Lynch at 5-11 217 lbs, (now 228lbs), why not go w/him? Especially seeing how he is red hot running for 181 yds in the game? Lavon Coleman looked awesome yesterday and is averaging 9.7 ypc.

Edit: "* NOT trying to rake the football out of the QBs hands and just sack him when it's 3rd and 25 so that he can wiggle away and throw a long pass down the field." This is the point I was trying to make to someone who was complaining about the lack of Seahawk turnovers. You take care of your assignment first!

Edit: One other thing, the most disturbing stat of the game was the defense, they give up 478 yds and they weren't even on the field that much w/TOP being 35-min Huskies to 25-min Arizona.

MLOhawks

Reaction score
Same old, same old here we go again! Maybe they can turn it around but damn they stunk up the building. Everyone saying "it's hard" this or that drives me crazy. It ISN'T hard if you DON'T SUCK! Good teams take care of business, period.

drrew

Reaction score
MLOhawks":349nava3 said:
Same old, same old here we go again! Maybe they can turn it around but damn they stunk up the building. Everyone saying "it's hard" this or that drives me crazy. It ISN'T hard if you DON'T SUCK! Good teams take care of business, period.

No. UW hadn't won in Arizona for ten years. "Same old, same old" would've meant they found a way to lose that game.

They didn't play very well, but it was a win, and that's what matters.

dogorama

Reaction score
MLOhawks":2d356eed said:

And that is precisely what they did, they "took care of business" and won the game. This is a "good" team, not a great one.

Chapow

Reaction score
MLOhawks":3sa0hdvh said:

Sweet tantrum bro.

Especially since UW won the game.

MLOhawks

Reaction score
Go ahead sunshine pumpers, doog it up. Huskies should have destroyed that crap Arizona squad. I'm happy they won but I think Stanfurd is going to kill our Huskies. Hope I'm wrong of course. I don't celebrate or tolerate mediocrity, so I will reserve my praise for when Petersen beats a team that matters. 4 or 5 conference wins and a sh*t tier bowl game make for a crap season.

Some areas are improved, yes, but overall Petersen is just another Seven Win Sark so far.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Lets see how the Stanford game goes.I think CP left some things out in Arizona for this game,I'm probaly wrong but we will see GO DAWGS!!!