What to do with Kam?

kearly

Reaction score
All signs point to there being no bad blood between Kam and the FO. I could see other teams calling Seattle about Kam, but it surprise me if the Seahawks tried to trade him. He's only 27 years old on a reasonable contract. And there's no way Kam would try to holdout again.

I would be surprised if he is in the news at all this offseason.

I think he's worth keeping. When at his best, he can take over a game.

hawknation2016

Reaction score
Tech Worlds":1zximqc6 said:
Thepeelsessions":1zximqc6 said:
Trade him. Softy was talking about it today, and thinks the Hawks can get a good haul for him. I'd have to agree.

I'm completely soured on Kam. I don't want to see him here next year.
I don't think you can get a haul for him at all. Especially the way he played this year. Now had he played as his physically imposing self then I think we could.

I think it's best to hang onto him and hope this year was him being in a funk as it seamed Earl was as well.

Hopefully he plays well for us cause I think after his performance this year he is worth more to us on the field then what he could garner in a trade.

Could not agree more . . . I don't think the market would be very strong for Kam in his current form.

seabowl

Reaction score
On the holdout the team was proved right. Lam had a down year and doesn't deserve more $$$ and maybe even deserves less.

themunn

Reaction score
hawknation2016":tvrznpmi said:
Could not agree more . . . I don't think the market would be very strong for Kam in his current form.

Don't be daft, even Kam on a down year was still better than most safeties in the league, and teams will be well aware that he came in last year following a holdout, missing training camp after having had surgery in the offseason.
A 28 year old all-pro safety on the market?
He'd at the very least match his current contract, and plenty of teams with more cap space and less talent than the Seahawks would still be willing to pay more than we are

Largent80

Reaction score
Lets see, all he did was win one game for us (Detroit) then allowed us to win in Minny in the playoffs..Hmmmmmmm, what to do.

hawknation2016

Reaction score
themunn":o0j4c3vd said:
hawknation2016":o0j4c3vd said:

Don't be daft, even Kam on a down year was still better than most safeties in the league, and teams will be well aware that he came in last year following a holdout, missing training camp after having had surgery in the offseason.
He'd at the very least match his current contract, and plenty of teams with more cap space and less talent than the Seahawks would still be willing to pay more than we are

Here's the problem with that theory:

(1) Kam has horrible knees and has admitted to playing on a torn knee ligament that has never been surgically repaired.

(2) Kam wants more money. Any team willing to give up capital to trade for Kam would be cognizant of the fact that Kam is unhappy with his current contract and is willing to hold out. A trade would only increase Kam's displease with his current salary, because he would no long be playing for the perennial-contending Seahawks, in a state with zero income tax, and his contract would be stripped of the dead money incentive not to release him. So not only does this mythical team have to be willing to give up 'major' capital for Kam, they would have to be willing to re-negotiate his contract to pay him more or put up with the very real possibility of a holdout.

(3) Kam was not the same player in 2015 that he was previously. He seemed unwilling or unable to produce the jarring hits that made him the named staple of the NFL that he had become. What once was the strength of the team, defending against the TE, has evolved into a weakness: last season due to Kam's knee problems and this season due to his seeming hesitancy or rustiness.

Those are three elements that rarely lead to a highly sought after trade commodity in the NFL. Beyond that, what once looked like a huge bargain, now looks about right for the Seahawks. Kam's current salary makes sense at his current level of play and with the risk that he will continue to regress. I just can't see them getting value for him on the market, and I have to hope that logic will prevail, i.e. that Kam will not repeat the mistake of sacrificing game checks and wins in exchange for nothing. If he holds out again, the team will hold firm, as they should under the circumstances.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
hawknation2016":1nxxgmbx said:
themunn":1nxxgmbx said:
hawknation2016":1nxxgmbx said:

Here's the problem with that theory:

(1) Kam has horrible knees and has admitted to playing on a torn knee ligament that has never been surgically repaired.

(2) Kam wants more money. Any team willing to give up capital to trade for Kam would be cognizant of the fact that Kam is unhappy with his current contract and is willing to hold out. A trade would only increase Kam's displease with his current salary, because he would no long be playing for the perennial-contending Seahawks, in a state with zero income tax, and his contract would be stripped of the dead money incentive not to release him. So not only does this mythical team have to be willing to give up 'major' capital for Kam, they would have to be willing to re-negotiate his contract to pay him more or put up with the very real possibility of a holdout.

(3) Kam was not the same player in 2015 that he was previously. He seemed unwilling or unable to produce the jarring hits that made him the named staple of the NFL that he had become. What once was the strength of the team, defending against the TE, has evolved into a weakness: last season due to Kam's knee problems and this season due to his seeming hesitancy or rustiness.

Those are three elements that rarely lead to a highly sought after trade commodity in the NFL. Beyond that, what once looked like a huge bargain, now looks about right for the Seahawks. Kam's current salary makes sense at his current level of play and with the risk that he will continue to regress. I just can't see them getting value for him on the market, and I have to hope that logic will prevail, i.e. that Kam will not repeat the mistake of sacrificing game checks and wins in exchange for nothing. If he holds out again, the team will hold firm, as they should under the circumstances.

YUP!

AirStrike

Reaction score
Thepeelsessions":3ed9u8py said:
Trade him. Softy was talking about it today, and thinks the Hawks can get a good haul for him. I'd have to agree.

I'm completely soured on Kam. I don't want to see him here next year.

This isn't the NBA. Unless it's a quarterback or a top three skill position player you're not getting a haul for any player in this league. The team would get a mid round pick for Kam at best.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
I favor taking a wait and see approach with Kam. This off season I want ZERO distractions for the FO . If all the salary-related BS starts back up again, then trade the malcontents. Regardless of who it is, I'm ready to be done with them.

A best case scenario is Sherm, Earl, Bennett, Bobby, Kam, ADB, KJ and Russell get together this off-season and re-dedicate themselves and this team to getting back to the SB.

A further best case scenario is the FO is able to extend both Bennett and ADB and give them both a bump for out-playing their contracts without causing dissent with the malcontent from last year (Kam).

Rob12

Reaction score
I think PC/JS will move some money around for him because they'll fear the repercussions if he's not a member of this team. I think our defense is extremely close, with some very sensitive individuals as our most important players, and moving on from Kam could cause a lot of damage. Unless, of course, he's lost respect from his teammates, which is also possible.

That's not what I would do. I'd love for a message to be sent. I've said it before but for as much as I despise the Patriots, I admire how they handle players who don't buy in fully. I think we need some of that here. Trading Kam to Cleveland for a third round pick after he demands more money would send a pretty strong message.

I don't know what the perfect answer is. I know that his play doesn't warrant a raise. I'm not entirely sure that he's the same player. But how they handle him could have some really big effects on the team moving forward.

Not a real pleasant situation.

bjornanderson21

Reaction score
If Kam isn't done complaining about the contract he signed AND we can get a nice haul for him then we should trade him.

Kam's next 4 years are highly unlikely to be as good as his last 4.

Wear and tear will catch up to him and he will miss more games (not due to holdout...) and he will start getting into self-preservation mode (trying to last as many seasons by not playing as intensely) and age will naturally make him lose half a step.

It would be hard to draft Kam 2.0 but most Super Bowl winners don't have a guy like Kam so it's not like we need our next SS to be just like him.

The Hawks need to start moving on from guys that have been here during our success. Reputation and past production may help with Pro Bowl and All-Pro selection, but the Super Bowl is determined by what you can still do on the field. The Hawks need to weigh production/age/injury/salary. We can't keep EVERYONE and there will need to be some strategic reshuffling of our roster, so even players who are still productive (which Kam is) will need to be moved at times.

It is better to get rid of a player a year too early than hold onto him a year too long.

bjornanderson21

Reaction score
Rob12":1luoptvs said:
I think PC/JS will move some money around for him because they'll fear the repercussions if he's not a member of this team. I think our defense is extremely close, with some very sensitive individuals as our most important players, and moving on from Kam could cause a lot of damage. Unless, of course, he's lost respect from his teammates, which is also possible.

That's not what I would do. I'd love for a message to be sent. I've said it before but for as much as I despise the Patriots, I admire how they handle players who don't buy in fully. I think we need some of that here. Trading Kam to Cleveland for a third round pick after he demands more money would send a pretty strong message.

I don't know what the perfect answer is. I know that his play doesn't warrant a raise. I'm not entirely sure that he's the same player. But how they handle him could have some really big effects on the team moving forward.

Not a real pleasant situation.
I know a lot of people hate giving the Pats respect, but no team in the NFL has done a better job overall of knowing when to move on from players AND getting compensated for it.

They haven't done a very good job of using those draft picks, but with all the picks they get they hit on enough of them to keep the team humming along.

The absolute best value is from players on rookie deals. On 2nd contracts you are paying through the nose AND they are older with more wear and tear. The Pats are second to none when it comes to deciding which players are worth keeping.

TeamoftheCentury

Reaction score
kearly":wg2xmpkq said:
All signs point to there being no bad blood between Kam and the FO. I could see other teams calling Seattle about Kam, but it surprise me if the Seahawks tried to trade him. He's only 27 years old on a reasonable contract. And there's no way Kam would try to holdout again.

I would be surprised if he is in the news at all this offseason.

I think he's worth keeping. When at his best, he can take over a game.
+1

While I don't agree with how Kam handled his discontent before the season and held out, there's not an ounce of me that believes for 5 seconds that he IS a malcontent. There's EVERY reason to work anything out well before training camp and move on from any question of the matter. Even before the draft, to make sure Kam knows the team is committed to him for Chemistry, Leadership, Gratitude, Wisdom (he's got plenty left in him), and Continuity... just to name a few reasons. There's other forces at play that contributed to the less than stellar play of the Defense, of which Kam is one part. It's silly talk to think of dumping the guy after this year when the entire championship capable team is culpable for how the season played out and the results.

You live and die with your guys. Kam Chancellor #31 is one of our guys. If I had anything to do with it, he stays.

Now, I want to see his amazing skills put to best use for maximum effectiveness. I agree with what Kearly said in a previous post/thread that Pete needs to get further innovative and address how to get this Defense back to it's intimidating self. Part of me wonders about moving Kam to OLB. Whatever they do or don't change, this Defense is and will be better with Kam Chancellor on the field.

HommyHawk

Reaction score
Move him to lb let Bruce walk.I can't believe we are even discussing this.It doesn't seem to long ago when Beast mode and Bam Bam were immortal to our franchise and now ...smh. :pukeface: Some people on this board would probably have traded #80 too.lol

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Tell him he can play for the 6M he's signed to for 2016, or trade him.

Kam is still an important part of the LOB and overall team with his leadership, so I'm not ready to just cut him. But I'm sure as hell not paying him the Earl and Sherman money he thinks he's worth.

He certainly didn't come back and show anyone he's worth that kind of money...........if anything he showed that the team was right in not caving into his holdout with his diminished play this year.

bigskydoc

Reaction score
We already have Kam's replacement on the roster and he is 4 million cheaper this year than Kam would be under their current contracts. No way is Kam worth the 7 million cost to keep him next year.

I would like to see Carroll sit down with Kam and feel out where his head and heart are. If he still wants free safety money, tell him that we aren't going to pay it, but we will do everything we can to find a team for him that will. We might get a 4th for him. I would extend McCray at 1-2 million per year.

As has been pointed out, Kam's style of play is going out of vogue in this league. Further, he will never be a finesse SS. McCray plays that role better. McCray will come a lot cheaper on a side of the ball where we really need to reduce salaries.

If Chancellor wants to extend his contract in a team-friendly manner that reduces his cost for 2017, and he is dedicated to playing here for a reasonable salary, then I would be happy for the team to extend the welcome mat.

- bsd

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
My concern with Kam is that the injury he was coming off of in 2015 is now in his head and is dictating his performance on the field. Not because he is still injured (I don't know for sure obviously but I assume) but because his previous injury has him playing softer. And soft was never in his vocabulary but to me it's clear he's thinking preservation and security more than giving it all he has to give on each play like he used to.

For that reason alone I would be okay with seeing Kam go, especially if the Seahawks can get something decent in return.