What to do with Kam?

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Thepeelsessions":1o4dq7se said:
Trade him. Softy was talking about it today, and thinks the Hawks can get a good haul for him. I'd have to agree.

I'm completely soured on Kam. I don't want to see him here next year.
With all due respect, this isn't fantasy football. You will be shocked on how little
They'd get back in a trade.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
The games without Kam were games this defense looked shockingly mortal.

I find it funny that given we are a team that does not really try to outscheme the other team but instead just 'out athlete' it, the fans think can just drag and drop new players in & out like ringtones.

Getting rid of Kam might make you feel better, but nobody cares about your hurt feelings.

What matters is how much additional value the player brings to the table vs what the team will have without them, as well as how effectively replaceable they are.

In this instance, Kam, playing apparently at a much lower level or even potentially hurt, still is one of the most effective SS in the game. I am still laughing at those of you that think McCrary or McCants or whatever his name is, even comes close to an effective replacement. He didn't look terrible but he certainly barely broke the 'average' space.

Replacing our best defensive players with guys that are 'just a jersey" right now - isn't really a pathway to success.

The only question to ask is whether Kam can heal and play anywhere near what he did before, or if his current state is worth the current cost.

But that next man up thing only works when you have a deep bench full of near starting quality players like the Hawks did in their first run to the SB.

ivotuk

Reaction score
kearly":1b3m3jtc said:
All signs point to there being no bad blood between Kam and the FO. I could see other teams calling Seattle about Kam, but it surprise me if the Seahawks tried to trade him. He's only 27 years old on a reasonable contract. And there's no way Kam would try to holdout again.

I would be surprised if he is in the news at all this offseason.

I think he's worth keeping. When at his best, he can take over a game.

This right here.

When he was holding out, John offered him more money, but the difference between what he offered, and what Kam wanted was $900,000.

John should keep the money from the two game Kam missed, but offer to give him a bump for this year only. But the extra money should be based solely on performance and leadership.

Kam's leadership is one of the things that makes this defense so good. He sets the tone, and per him and the rest of the defense (ET), he helps with the alignments and offensive play recognition.

John and Pete have shown in the past that they hold nothing against a player, and that they will reward players who go above and beyond. It wouldn't surprise me if they gave Kam a raise, but only a small raise, while giving Michael Bennett a substantial raise.

This does 2 things, it repairs any rift with Kam, and gives the defense (who loves Kam) an emotional boost. And an MB raise demonstrates that if you significantly outplay your contract, and if there's money available, that you will be rewarded.

There is an unseen benefit to doing this IMHO, players will be more willing to sign slightly lower contracts because they will have seen, that should they play extremely well, they will get paid. I believe that's part of the reason many players fight for more money than seems reasonable at the time. Because they have supreme confidence in themselves, and there is distrust. The way to defuse that argument? "Players here get rewarded" (within reason).

There is a huge amount of distrust between most players and their front offices that has been fueled by the players union, and by history. That's something that a great FO like ours can use to their advantage.

Player: "Yeah, we don't have those problems in Seattle."

Example 1: K.J. Wright "I had a number in mind, and they beat it."

Example 2: Cliff Avril: "They had money under the cap, and they offered me a little more security from injury, so I took it."

dogorama

Reaction score
Kam didn't do anything to justify his holdout this year. Don't offer him one dime more. If I am not correct this is his contract year. It's funny how players have their best year in their contract year. Give Bennett a modest raise for his excellent play and loyalty.

Something tells me that Kan's body is not what is used to be and he knows it, that's why he held out. Speed and agility testing will tell much about Graham after he heals. From what I have been reading no one has ever come back full strength from that injury. Just losing his 9mil salary will buy three solid offensive linemen.

Mojambo

Reaction score
I'd put him on the trade market and see what you could get.

seehawkswin

Reaction score
Don't overpay. It seems like his coverage skills are diminished. Maybe coaches can figure out how to use the strengths he still has. Linebacker?

CDN_C_Hawk

Reaction score
redhawk253":1iv4ciee said:
Trade him.. im sure bradley or quinn would be willing to give up somethin nice for him..

Better yet.. offer him to the browns for joe thomas if he will agree to restructure to more cap friendly terms.

This is a BUSINESS , and to keep it viable and productive, things , we as fans might not like have to be done. Kam has contributed greatly to the Seahawks success , but if this past year is a sign of what the Hawks can expect from him, and he demanding more money , it is just smart business to deal him ( Jags and Falcons should get calls first) perhaps for a 3rd rounder and look at that kid from Southern Utah, Miles Killibrew.

Had Kam gone out after his hold-out and equaled his 2014 numbers the Hawks or any other team would gladly look at shelling out 7.5...8 mil.

gcolby

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":20uqu7ka said:
T....

In this instance, Kam, playing apparently at a much lower level or even potentially hurt, still is one of the most effective SS in the game. ......

Kam was my favourite Seahawk so it pains me to say I found his play seriously diminished this year. 2 nice forced fumbles against Detroit and Vikes but beyond that he was invisible or a coverage liability.

If he was happy to stay on his contract then I think Seahawks would hold but I just don't see how its realistic to reward a player for diminished performance with more money and not end up with a line-up of guys saying me too please. I think Kam backed Schneider into a corner and there is only one way out ...bye bye Kam.

rcaido

Reaction score
Why bother trading him? You're not going to get much for him...If he plays, he's one of the best in the game & is a game changer.

I think the FO did what they did & Kam already lost. If we are playing in the Superbowl then yeah Kam has some leverage but we lost. Best thing he can do is continue to play & have a big year next season.

MysterMatt

Reaction score
razor150":xol0jb7l said:
My personal opinion, if he indicates he is going to hold out again just tell him that he is being traded and allow him to look for someone willing to pay his price. Given how he played this year he isn't worth the distraction.
Pretty much this for me. I love him and even though he made a HORRIBLE decision with the holdout this year, he's a good guy in the locker room and I attribute this off year to more of an issue with the bad hip and what not than anything else. He's 28 and could have some very productive years ahead of him. So, if he sees it this way and dedicates himself to getting healthy and bouncing back to form in a Seahawks jersey, then I want him here. Frankly the timing could work out well for him to play another year under his current contract and reestablish his value (and leverage).

But if he intends to hold out then he's hurting the team. Time to move on. I sincerely hope it doesn't come to that.

OR

If someone makes us an offer we can't refuse...

Willyeye

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":7yqxe5pn said:
The games without Kam were games this defense looked shockingly mortal.

I find it funny that given we are a team that does not really try to outscheme the other team but instead just 'out athlete' it, the fans think can just drag and drop new players in & out like ringtones.

Getting rid of Kam might make you feel better, but nobody cares about your hurt feelings.

What matters is how much additional value the player brings to the table vs what the team will have without them, as well as how effectively replaceable they are.

In this instance, Kam, playing apparently at a much lower level or even potentially hurt, still is one of the most effective SS in the game. I am still laughing at those of you that think McCrary or McCants or whatever his name is, even comes close to an effective replacement. He didn't look terrible but he certainly barely broke the 'average' space.

Replacing our best defensive players with guys that are 'just a jersey" right now - isn't really a pathway to success.

The only question to ask is whether Kam can heal and play anywhere near what he did before, or if his current state is worth the current cost.

But that next man up thing only works when you have a deep bench full of near starting quality players like the Hawks did in their first run to the SB.

I've liked Kam as much as the next Hawk fan, but every player has to start somewhere. Kam did virtually nothing in his rookie year. His 3rd year was not that special. And given the holdout and disruption it caused the team this year, and given his rather average performance (plus injuries) this year, there's no reason to think that a "new" guy won't be just as good as Kam over the course of a season. It's quite possible that McCray could have a better season than Kam might have in 2016. Kam caused A LOT of damage to the team this year, and regardless of whether fans forgive him for it, there will forever be teammates that hold it against him.

nanomoz

Reaction score
I think--maybe I just hope--this is much ado about nothing. He'll report. All will be well.

If he doesn't, MysterMatt and Razor kind of nailed it.

dogorama

Reaction score
Tech Worlds":3oycydep said:
Thepeelsessions":3oycydep said:
Trade him. Softy was talking about it today, and thinks the Hawks can get a good haul for him. I'd have to agree.

I'm completely soured on Kam. I don't want to see him here next year.
I don't think you can get a haul for him at all. Especially the way he played this year. Now had he played as his physically imposing self then I think we could.

I think it's best to hang onto him and hope this year was him being in a funk as it seamed Earl was as well.

Hopefully he plays well for us cause I think after his performance this year he is worth more to us on the field then what he could garner in a trade.

If I am not mistaken this is Kam's contact year and players tend to play their best their contract year and not so much after they get their money. He knows how to get the big money in the NFL - PLAY YOUR ASS OFF!

Basis4day

Reaction score
dogorama":27sowgqg said:
If I am not mistaken this is Kam's contact year and players tend to play their best their contract year and not so much after they get their money. He knows how to get the big money in the NFL - PLAY YOUR ASS OFF!

He is currently signed through the 2017 season.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Kam's primary loyalty has to be to Kam.

Want proof? Look at Jimmy Graham, no matter how good you are - one freak injury can derail your earning options or remove them entirely.

If we go back through the roster of the Seahawks can we find any players that were loyal to the team? How did that work out for them?

Well we had a stellar TE, Zach Miller, who repeatedly took less money for the team. How did that loyalty bear out? The team used him less and less as a patch catching TE and more like another OL. That subjected him to greater physical impact and it likely contributed to his injuries.

It also gutted his opportunities for bigger contracts until finally the damage on him physically removed his ability to play in the NFL at all. But the guy was a stellar receiving threat TE before we ruined him. And he took less to help the team even when he was both dangerous and valuable enough to command more.

NFL teams cut players that have performed for them regularly, and so I am baffled why (other than fan sunglasses) someone would feel 'betrayed' by Kam when he has an obligation to look out for his interests.

As it is, the stumble this year was not his fault but instead more attributable to terrible decisions made on the OL (trading our center was genius level of stupidity) and gutless OC calling that led to at least 4+ losses this year alone (both overtimes and at least 2 games we lost because the 'defense gave up the loss' even though we tried to sit on leads starting in the mid 3rd quarter repeatedly.

The Seahawks barely eeking into a wildcard 6 slot were more the product of Bevell turtling than Kam missing a few games, or being rusty/injured. In fact, it would have likely been worse but for the emergence of Rawls which I am sure nobody saw coming (not to that extent).

So blaming the Seahawk missed opportunities on Kam is really tilting the scale a bit. The fault was lack of urgency on behalf of the coaching staff, some bad FO personnel decisions, and some really unfortunate injuries. (Though most teams deal with injuries so that is hardly an excuse).

gonzhawk

Reaction score
Well either way you draft his replacement now.
If the only for injury protection/ depth/future.
I personally think he is in decline physically but would love to be proven wrong.
His legs and hips seem to be failing him more than his mind other than attitude.
I do not vote for more pay if he stays.

jblaze

Reaction score
Before this year he had solid trade value but not now. You'd be lucky to get a 5th for him right now.

That said, this is a historic defense that's led the league in points allowed for a 4th straight season. You don't blow anything up until the window closes and it's not near closed at this point.

You gotta keep Kam and hope that his down year has put his reality in check that he's actually making decent cash given his production. I would throw Bennett a cookie but not Kam. I think he's learned his lesson as he got spanked hard in that whole holdout and he won't try it again.

Willyeye

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":s641bmfm said:
Kam's primary loyalty has to be to Kam.

Want proof? Look at Jimmy Graham, no matter how good you are - one freak injury can derail your earning options or remove them entirely.

If we go back through the roster of the Seahawks can we find any players that were loyal to the team? How did that work out for them?

Well we had a stellar TE, Zach Miller, who repeatedly took less money for the team. How did that loyalty bear out? The team used him less and less as a patch catching TE and more like another OL. That subjected him to greater physical impact and it likely contributed to his injuries.

It also gutted his opportunities for bigger contracts until finally the damage on him physically removed his ability to play in the NFL at all. But the guy was a stellar receiving threat TE before we ruined him. And he took less to help the team even when he was both dangerous and valuable enough to command more.

NFL teams cut players that have performed for them regularly, and so I am baffled why (other than fan sunglasses) someone would feel 'betrayed' by Kam when he has an obligation to look out for his interests.

As it is, the stumble this year was not his fault but instead more attributable to terrible decisions made on the OL (trading our center was genius level of stupidity) and gutless OC calling that led to at least 4+ losses this year alone (both overtimes and at least 2 games we lost because the 'defense gave up the loss' even though we tried to sit on leads starting in the mid 3rd quarter repeatedly.

The Seahawks barely eeking into a wildcard 6 slot were more the product of Bevell turtling than Kam missing a few games, or being rusty/injured. In fact, it would have likely been worse but for the emergence of Rawls which I am sure nobody saw coming (not to that extent).

So blaming the Seahawk missed opportunities on Kam is really tilting the scale a bit. The fault was lack of urgency on behalf of the coaching staff, some bad FO personnel decisions, and some really unfortunate injuries. (Though most teams deal with injuries so that is hardly an excuse).

I see your point, but this is the NFL. EVERY player is at risk of a career-ending injury in EVERY game. And EVERY player should be going into this career with full awareness of what could happen. Many of these guys make a lot more money in a few years than any of us fans will make in 40 years. These are still just human beings that are fortunate to happen to be more athletically gifted than the next guy. How much money does any human being really need to accumulate? Even without the money he made in his rookie contract, Chancellor is guaranteed to make $17 million from the Seahawks over the last 3 seasons. THAT'S $17 MILLION for 3 years! If he kept his mouth shut and played out the 2016 and 2017 seasons, that number would have reached a total of $28 million. That's $28 million for 5 years which includes an extra $3 million+ for the 4th year of his rookie contract (the FO just being nice). All that money for playing a game that he played for free from the time he was a kid until he was 22 years old. That's more money than 20 of us fans make in a lifetime!

If you believe that Kam missing the offseason and missing the first 2 games didn't affect his season and the season of his teammates, you're missing the big picture. Kam DID NOT have a great season...he was below average in coverage and gave up some game-losing TD's! Kam was the 56th ranked safety in coverage per PFF. Not only that, but his weakness incoverage affected the performances of both Earl and Sherm. If Kam had done his part, they both would have had better years. And from what I hear, Earl is super-upset about the holdout fiasco. Who holds out after just 1 year into a 4-year extension and actually expects to get paid? This holdout was going nowhere and Kam basically screwed over ALL of his teammates for NOTHING!

The FO and coaching staff's first loyalty is to the ENTIRE TEAM and their fans, not just to Kam Chancellor. And as fans, our first loyalty should also be to the team. Players come and players go...most have no qualms leaving the team for more money. It works both ways. And if the FO just caters to all the whiners/crybabies, there would be NO MONEY to extend guys like Tyler Lockett...they'd have to let all of those guys leave the team after their rookie contract. If you base your entire fandom on Kam Chancellor's happiness, what are you going to do when he finally leaves the team? Stop being a Hawks fan? Would you like it better if the Hawks never let any players go and every player on the team was 40+ years old and the team was a perennial cellar-dwellar?

pehawk

Reaction score
Trade Kam to Cleveland for a 4th and Mingo. Mingo is a SS already...he just hasn't been told yet.

Yes, I'm serious.