What's The Biggest Factor In The Hawks Turnaround?

What's The Biggest Factor In The Hawks Turnaround?

• Russell has gone back to #NoTimeForSleep Mode

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Bevell has pulled his head out calling some nice offensive game plans

Votes: 19 12.3%
  • Big Bawls Rawls!

Votes: 18 11.6%
  • Patrick Lewis taking charge at Center

Votes: 59 38.1%
  • Possible Players Only Come To Jesus Meeting

Votes: 6 3.9%
  • Other (read my comments)

Votes: 26 16.8%

• Total voters

chris98251

Reaction score
peachesenregalia":2n9hmx6z said:
Seahwkgal":2n9hmx6z said:
I think Russ finally tapped that Ciara ass.

This is a girl saying this, you guys.

Rumor has it there are no girls on the internet....................:)

justafan

Reaction score
Hawkpower":2ysmi0ho said:
Mick063":2ysmi0ho said:
The light bulb came on for Wilson.

Doesn't matter who the center is. Really doesn't.

Players are not static. They evolve.

Wilson turned the corner to greatness and it happened before our eyes, in the last three games.

All the folks that had to blame Wilson's poor play on the O-line are now stuck with that talking point when Wilson plays great. Since the only change has been at center, Lewis is supposedly the reason for this recent dynamic tear. Are you kidding me? Folks really believe that? I have to wonder if a few folks have ever laced up a set of shoulder pads.

Myself?

I give Wilson credit when he is really bad and credit when he is really good. Right now, he is playing like the best QB in football.

Absolutely.

Wilson is doing EXACTLY what his biggest detractors on this board have been clamoring for him to do for years.

Watching him hit his back foot and throw on timing has been a thing of beauty. It has opened EVERYTHING else up.

Russ is truly and FINALLY taking the next step to becoming elite and it is a beautiful thing to watch.

Agree completely.Wilson is hitting the WR on time.I was doubtful he would progress like he did.Certainly not as quickly as he did.

These arnt new plays in a new offense.He is being protected and playing lights out.the whole O came together

seahawksny

Reaction score
The biggest factor is very simple

When we preserve our identity which is running the ball, throwing down field and Russell using his legs. we win

when we get away from our identity, IE stupid bubble screens to Percy Harvin that takes away from my points above, and relying on tight ends, who albeit supremely talented do not block to support our strengths. we lose.

I just dont understand why Pete chooses to be experimental. Last year for 5 games. This year for up until 9 games. Its a terrible thing to say, but Graham getting hurt will help this team tremendously.

KitsapGuy

Reaction score
In short, the offense is working how it’s designed to. Finally.

So how did this all change for the so-much better?

Carroll, Cable and offensive coordinator Darrell Bevell spent the team’s bye week early last month following the 13-12 slog past Dallas changing the timing of Wilson’s passes. They demanded he throw the ball more quickly, including in situations when he took off scrambling to extend plays earlier this season.

The reasoning was simple: The struggling blockers wouldn’t have to block as long for their QB.

“The rhythm, since the break we had, we’ve really tried to feature a fast rhythm and making sure he’s really got a chance to get the ball out fast to keep the pressure off of the guys up front,” Carroll said. “All of that has happened with more earnest because of how the start was.”

Cable changed centers. The coaches got alarmed late last season when Patrick Lewis, whom the team had signed off Cleveland’s practice squad in October, had issues in communication filling in for the injured Unger in a game the Seahawks won against the depleted Cardinals. That stuck in the coaches’ heads through this preseason, so they shoved Lewis down to third string and inserted the unproven Nowak to replace Unger.

Nowak had even more communication problems than Lewis did. Plus, Nowak had trouble recognizing trick defensive fronts and the array of blitzes Seattle was seeing each week. Since going back to Lewis on Oct. 18 against Carolina, the line’s calls have become quicker, cleaner and more accurate, as Lewis has better recognized the defenses.

“Just more consistency,” Cable said of the difference with Lewis.

Carroll said Monday: “We thought he might have been struggling a little bit with the communications and all that. We wondered if that was going to be an issue going into this year. And that’s not an issue. That’s an area that he’s really improved at, and we have a lot of confidence in him.

“The guys are playing with confidence, because it all starts right there up front, in the middle.”

Read more here: http://www.thenewstribune.com/sports/nf ... rylink=cpy

RiverDog

Reaction score
Anybody else notice a difference now that we're not constantly forcing the ball to Jimmy Graham in order to make a bad trade look good? Is Lockett and Baldwin getting more targets now that Graham is not in the lineup? Are we a better team without Jimmy?

I realize that our resurgence is due to more than one factor, but I can't help wondering about our trying to fit a square peg into a round hole.

Zorn76

Reaction score
My vote: "Other"

Early momentum key for our OL. Getting 1st downs and putting up points in opening quarter gives them some confidence. When they start out slow, it usually continues, as doubt creeps in.

They are playing better, particularly over the last 3 weeks, but this group still needs an overhaul next offseason. This is not the exact group to bank on for the future.

kobebryant

Reaction score
My vote would go to a young oline going into the fire, and then coming out better for it.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Aros":3qdi8rgf said:
tonyseahawk":3qdi8rgf said:
I think by far the biggest factor in the turn around is the quick release on the passes. We've been asking for 3 years where the quick slants and quick passes are. Easily the biggest change in my eyes. This keeps the D from Pinning their ears back and gives the line serious help

HUGE factor. No more 5 or 7 step drops when defenses are pulverizing his pocket. The ball is snapped, he makes his read and the ball is gone before any damage can be done in the backfield. Ala Tom Brady and Aaron Rodgers.

You can't sack them when the ball is already gone just after 2 seconds of a snapped football.
And a whole bunch of us here have been asking for this type of offensive approach at least since the Rams game in '13. Why did it take Bevell and Carroll so long to implement it?

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
1. Russell Wilson learning to pass quicker and finally doing Ciara.
2. Mr. Rawls.
3. Pierre at center.
4. Lane.
5. Bevell actually calling decent plays like a rollout that gives Wilson a run/pass option instead of a short slant in the teeth of the defense using some dude who's whole value is being a gunner on special teams or go routes in deep passing situations.

Hawks46

Reaction score
There's honestly too many factors to say one is bigger than any other. Also, so many of these are inter related.

So, what comes first, pass protection or Wilson finding more open WRs? Or could it be game plan ? The offense is coming along because the OL is run blocking better. Also, Rawls hits the hole harder and faster than Lynch was, and that's better for an OL that can't hold their blocks for long. Lynch didn't trust them. Rawls doesn't care.

Once we're ahead of the sticks, it's making our offense less predictable, and making 3rd downs easier with more manageable yardages. One of the biggest indicators is 3rd down efficiency. That went off the charts starting with SF and hasn't gone down.

I also think Bevell has done much better with the game plans. This is three beauties in a row. We have an outstanding rhythm passing game, mixed in with a dominant ground game and sprinkled with a healthy dose of explosive plays that take the top off of a defense. It's no coincidence that this team got much better offensively after the Bye. It looks like Bevell worked out a good game plan and we got our OL dialed in.

On defense, it's no coincidence that once we benched Williams, things started to look better. I still think Chancellor looks out of sorts, but the chemistry is starting to come back. I'd also like to see more impact plays out of Wagner, but overall, the defense is playing very well. Holding ANYONE to 125 yards is an amazing feat, and it's the lowest total in the NFL this year.

Someone else said it ,but all this is leading towards team chemistry. They are getting their minds right, gaining confidence in eachother and getting ready for our patented stretch run. Any player that's been here at least a year knows what we can and will do in December. They just needed to believe in it.

Cartire

Reaction score
Its execution.

-An online executing properly (possible center change helps)
-A Wilson getting that more mature at his position and compensating correctly.
-A WR core winning their match-ups on the line, both in routes and run blocks
-A defense getting back to speed after a long off-season and some hubris attitudes. (also some dead weight dropped)

One thing doesnt change this team. A collective attitude towards getting better and fixing mistakes. Obviously, hindsight is 20/20, but if this quality maintains, we're golden.

Polaris

Reaction score
Cary Williams got benched. The LOB has played much better and trusted each other much more since. That's made all the difference.

907Hawk

Reaction score
Cartire":1ynj5mrm said:
Its execution.

-An online executing properly (possible center change helps)
-A Wilson getting that more mature at his position and compensating correctly.
-A WR core winning their match-ups on the line, both in routes and run blocks
-A defense getting back to speed after a long off-season and some hubris attitudes. (also some dead weight dropped)

One thing doesnt change this team. A collective attitude towards getting better and fixing mistakes. Obviously, hindsight is 20/20, but if this quality maintains, we're golden.

This ^ Its always about execution and favorable match-ups.

HomerJHawk

Reaction score
I think it was OLY who first hit the nail on the head. This is the year of the Graham effect.

We brought this high powered, pedigreed TE into our system, and no, its not just him, but
whoever was directing that we force that square peg into a round hole, amongst other things,
well, that's finally changed since Jimmy has gone out for good.

Not knocking Jimmy at all, but it seems that the whole team has turned a corner.
As if there was a 'let's get back to what we know works' kind of mentality. Whoever was
holding that back should be fired. The remainder should remain hired.

Go Hawks.

[edit. Where is William Cornell. This season had darn well be documented.]

morgulon1

Reaction score
Aros":1ltbe496 said:
These past few weeks this team has legitimately shifted into that place they have mastered in the past several Decembers...What's the biggest reason?

Aros.

Like he title of the post topic because I was thinking of starting my own along these lines. Interesting to see center as the number one reason and you know , I couldn't argue although I have to say that I think his is a perfect storm of a number of reasons. This team is (2) time NFC champions with one Superb owl under their belts and arguably one of the most talented rosters in the league. Didn't the "experts" ( making quote sign with fingers= annoying huh?) think that this team wouldn't get their shit together at some point and make a run?

I have to think the defense has put some of their issues aside and decided to ball. Listen, we've lost (2) of the best defensive coordinators in the NFL he last couple of seasons and I think there has been an adjustment period, a learning curve maybe for Kris Richard because he is ultimately responsible because the roster is still damn good. Bye bye Cary .

On offense, I think an injured Marahawn Lynch has hurt us a little bit in some games down the stretch. Now I consider myself a big fan of #24,so don't freak out in me here. I don't think he's looked the same all year . I also think trying to incorporate Jimmy seemed a little forced. Much like Percy. With Jimmy out, every player on that offense sees themselves a more intregal piece moving forward.

I have to think the offensive line has gotten a little better by so has Russell and do I dare say it?

Yes, Bevell has appeared to call better plays, a great mixture of run/pass mixture including quick passes and qb keepers.
Was it Bevell or Russell?

I don't think you can point to one reason.

Jville

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/gbellseattle/status/674006285948289026[/tweet]

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
No more Cary

No more Nowak

If we made the moves to Shead and Lewis earlier I think we would at least be 1 win better than we currently are.