When are we going to start trusting our QB?

D

DomeHawk

Spin Doctor":1jizt0hn said:
Pete Carroll, Pete Carroll, when are you going to trust your Quarterback? This is a reoccurring theme under the Carroll regime. I don't think this is the fault of Russell Wilson, this falls on our head coach. This game was not only a monumental game planning disaster, but it also showcased the lack of trust Carroll has in his QBs. I have no doubt that if we had Peyton Manning in his prime we'd get this same kind of offense.

I understand, Pete Carroll's main goal is to keep turnovers down, and passing usually holds a bigger potential for turnovers. Unfortunately constant three and outs can have a similar effect to turning the ball over in some instances. The offense itself is designed to limit what the QB can and can't do. We're missing timing routes, and passes such as slants. It seems as if the playbook was created for the sole purpose of limiting turnovers. We don't use huge swaths of the field in our offense, and most of the routes concepts are overly simplistic. Many of the bread and butter plays that most offenses utilize are missing from our offense.

What Pete needs to understand is that the passing game, and running game complement each other. A passing game that stretches defenses horizontally (something our offense doesn't do) as well as vertically open up the running game. Holmgren used to do this with Matt Hasselbeck. He would stretch defenses out horizontally, and then switch it up with at least one long pass per quarter. When defenses hard committed to the pass he would then send in Alexander to gash the defense. When they started to key in on the run, he would then call in Hasselbeck to open up the run game again. The run game and passing game play off of each other.

What we saw today was a demonstration of a lack of knowledge on the offensive side of the ball. Lining up, and broadcasting what you're going to do doesn't work against top tier defenses. It isn't like the defense. Carroll needs to start trust his Quarterback to make plays, and to run a conventional NFL offense. I'm not talking about passing 500 times a year either. I'm more speaking about concepts. NFL defenses strive to make the opposing offense one dimensional, we're taking away that responsibility from the defense, because our one sided nature is self-imposed. Just like an offense that relies on the pass too much, a team that does nothing but run also has similar downsides.

I just hope that next year Pete Carroll realizes that there needs to be a balance, a yin to the yang.

Athe risk Of stating the obvious, it is a great topic and when someone disagreed and said it wasn't that, it was Pete's stubbornness, I would say that it is a combination of both.

My 7th grade nephew had the game critiqued perfectly.

Beyond frustrating!

chris98251

Reaction score
Pete has never trusted his QB's, not on the type of level you want him to at least, handing the ball to a QB and say go do your thing isn't what Pete does, he trusts his QB to manage the game how he wants it to happen and to step up when asked to.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
He is a defensive coach.

He trusts his defense, not his QB.

The problem was the defense was not good enough to expect that much from it.

Jville

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":1jkbdnto said:
He is a defensive coach.

That's false.

Russell Wilson steps on the field because he is trusted.

John63

Reaction score
Jville":21lr22e2 said:
TwistedHusky":21lr22e2 said:
He is a defensive coach.

That's false.

To a point, he is trusted. He is only trusted to manage the game until PC has no choice. If it was otherwise we would have won the yesterday easily

Jville

Reaction score
John63":2i0vsnqc said:
Jville":2i0vsnqc said:
TwistedHusky":2i0vsnqc said:
He is a defensive coach.

That's false.

To a point, he is trusted. He is only trusted to manage the game until PC has no choice. If it was otherwise we would have won the yesterday easily

Having attempted to follow your reasoning, I now feel a bit like a twisted pretzel.

John63

Reaction score
Jville":6fjafuns said:
John63":6fjafuns said:
Jville":6fjafuns said:
TwistedHusky":6fjafuns said:
He is a defensive coach.

That's false.

Having attempted to follow your reasoning, I now feel a bit like a twisted pretzel.

The logic is simple. PC trusts Russ to manager the game. The only time he lets it loose is when he has no choice. So, in other words, he really only trusts our QB or for that matter any QB to a point. Not hard to follow.

Mad Dog

Reaction score
Last year we trusted our QB because he was all we had. We didn't make the playoffs and had a terrible offence all season.

This year we brought back more balance and the passing game and running game excelled as complementary pieces. It's been clear to me in the Wilson era that this approach is most successful. However, trusting or not trusting Wilson is not going to get us over the top. We need to be better on the DL especially against the run. We need to make more plays happen in the secondary. We need better pass protection when teams know we have to pass.

Right now we can run well, pass well off play action and play bend but not break defense. That's good enough to get to the playoffs but not good enough to become a true contender for a championship.

Anyone criticizing our approach this year really is looking at the team through rose coloured glasses. This team had too many warts to truly be a contender. QB trust was not really one of them.

thegameq

Reaction score
Pete Carroll wants to gameplan like he still has a Super Bowl defense and Marshawn Lynch. Until Pete becomes less stringent with this formula we are going to continue to see more games like this. I am really starting to appreciate just how special that defense was back then and just how hard it is going to be to try and replicate that team.

mrt144

Reaction score
Mad Dog":wb0ikacs said:
Last year we trusted our QB because he was all we had. We didn't make the playoffs and had a terrible offence all season.

This year we brought back more balance and the passing game and running game excelled as complementary pieces. It's been clear to me in the Wilson era that this approach is most successful. However, trusting or not trusting Wilson is not going to get us over the top. We need to be better on the DL especially against the run. We need to make more plays happen in the secondary. We need better pass protection when teams know we have to pass.

Right now we can run well, pass well off play action and play bend but not break defense. That's good enough to get to the playoffs but not good enough to become a true contender for a championship.

Anyone criticizing our approach this year really is looking at the team through rose coloured glasses. This team had too many warts to truly be a contender. QB trust was not really one of them.

The fear is that the red won't be addressed because the green accomplished a primary goal in itself.

Latest posts