When did you start following the Seahawks?

Jazzhawk

Reaction score
Northern CA native, moved up to Lynnwood for 2 years in 1978-80 while I went to college and began following them a bit then. Moved back to the Sacramento area and used to go to 49ers training camp at Sierra College near Sacramento. Rooted for the 49ers till I moved to the Seattle area permanently in 1998. Began following the Seahawks in earnest then, and went to my first Seahawks game in person in 2001 when they were playing the Jaguars at Husky stadium. Fell in love with them and bought season tickets when the new stadium opened in 2002. Been an avid fan since then and still have my season tickets. Last December I moved back to Sacramento to help care for my mother and but came up last week just for the opening game. What a blast! Hope to be back up a few more times.

Seanhawk

Reaction score
Since early 1985, following the 1984 season. I was a big Miami Dolphins fan, or as big of a fan as a seven year old could be. I was so pissed when the Dolphins lost in the Super Bowl that year that I jumped ship and began liking the Seattle Seahawks, who they had beaten a couple weeks earlier in the playoffs, because I thought their helmets were cool. I guess that makes me a reverse bandwagon fan.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
TreeRon":1awkpk9f said:
I became a Seattle football fan June 4, 1974.
Ditto, The day it was announced that Seattle was going to be awarded an expansion franchise. I was just finishing my junior year in high school. Was a fan of the Packers Chargers and Raiders growing up but as soon as I knew my home state was getting a team that would begin play in a year and a half, that was it and they were it.
In other words, "sinceday1"

XxxZagnutxxX

Reaction score
Growing up in the 70's in Alaska, I was a Cowboys fan. When the Hawks came about my entire family became Hawks fans due to them being the closest NFL team to us.

SeaMeat

Reaction score
It's 1983. My father is watching the Seahawks/Broncos wildcard game on TV.

I sat down to join him (i'm 10 years old) and he asked me who my favorite team was. Living in a super small roughneck town in New Mexico, I didn't have a favorite team yet, even though most people around me were Cowboys fans. I told him, "Whoever wins this game, will be my team."

And that, was that.

TOPHawk

Reaction score
Grew up in Montana and was a passive Eagles fan as a kid.

That all changed on December 31st, 1983 when the Seahawks defeated the Miami Dolphins. Been a rabid Hawks fan ever since.

Torc

Reaction score
Somewhere in the early 80s. I have vague memories of Jack Patera, but my earliest clear memory is probably being irate that Zorn didn't get his job back coming back from an injury. Didn't seem fair to me at the time. :)

I also used to beg my parents to go to Pietro's pizza as many times as I could during the football season to get the free poster from that week's game. I've got a decent stack of them that I keep intending to get rid of....I don't think I'll ever have the type of mancave to be able to put them all up.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Very cool thread, love reading the stories about when or how people became fans. No matter when, you chose the right football team.

Nothinbutm

Reaction score
2005, playoffs.

Seeing Hasselbeck conduct Holmgrens west coast offense with that insane offensive line during the playoffs. I was sold.

Almost became a Texans fan.

Mad Dog

Reaction score
1983: First year Cable TV and NFL came to my house in Saskatchewan (proud home province of Jon Ryan). Loved the uniforms and in my touch football league in university I prided myself on being that slow white guy that could get open and catch everything. So natural affinity to Steve Largent.

1990: Graduated university and moved out to Vancouver partially to be closer to the Seahawks and be able to attend games in the Kingdome.

2003: After putting up with too many home blackouts, purchased season tickets. I'd like to say that move was responsible for 15 years of Seahawks success but I think Paul Allen had more to do with it.

fav13259

Reaction score
It was 1996! I was a kid in the LA area that loved the movie Free Willy. It got me interested in PNW Native American art and culture. In the early to mid 90s, Knott’s Berry Farm a local theme park my mother used to take me to every year, opened an attraction called the Mystery Lodge, which is still there to this day. That attraction is in the shape of a longhouse and is a hologram show that has a Native American elder telling a story in which figures come out of smokes. As a kid it was captivating. Anyway! Flipping the tv channel one day I came across an NFL game. It was the Seahawks vs. Packers. I don’t remember the score just that the Seahawks got spanked. What drew me to watching the game (because I wasn’t really into football back then) was the logo of the Seahawks, clearly inspired by PNW Native American art. I was hooked and as soon as I got internet at home circa 1998 I was searching all things Seahawks. I’ve been mostly lurking/following this community since 1999-2000.

I got a lot of flack rooting for my hawks growing up especially from family who are mainly Packer, 9er, or Ram fans, but I wouldn’t have it any other way! Now I got my son rooting for the team, he’s 4 and he hasn’t missed a Seahawk game in LA or San Diego since he was born!

OP
OP
L

LTH

Reaction score
Jazzhawk":iedy53ma said:
Northern CA native, moved up to Lynnwood for 2 years in 1978-80 while I went to college and began following them a bit then. Moved back to the Sacramento area and used to go to 49ers training camp at Sierra College near Sacramento. Rooted for the 49ers till I moved to the Seattle area permanently in 1998. Began following the Seahawks in earnest then, and went to my first Seahawks game in person in 2001 when they were playing the Jaguars at Husky stadium. Fell in love with them and bought season tickets when the new stadium opened in 2002. Been an avid fan since then and still have my season tickets. Last December I moved back to Sacramento to help care for my mother and but came up last week just for the opening game. What a blast! Hope to be back up a few more times.

I went to Sierra college LOL... At the time I was a Rams fan and I used to go to 49er training Camp... Not sure why.... Caught Montana coming out of the chow hall had a short talk with him... he left saying " ______ the Rams" LMAO!!! I'll never forget that... I will never forget the look on his face when he said it... It was beautiful LOL

But what's really funny is that I became a Holmgren fan...I never thought that could ever be possible with my disdain for the 49ers... Holmgren, Walsh, Montana, Rice...

LTH

Jerhawk

Reaction score
1998. Dennis Erickson's final season.

The season ended in the infamous Vinny Testaverde helmet game against the Jets where Seattle got ripped off and missed out on the playoffs.
It was from this moment that I fell in love with this team as an 8 year old living on the other side of the state.
Got to routinely watch the team at training camp at EWU and it was a great moment meeting the players.

chris98251

Reaction score
1974 from the announcement and then following religiously the Seattle PI for news, submitting the team Name and I did submit Seahawks and voted on it as well when the finals were announced. The naming of our Head Coach, the Expansion Draft regular Draft and then waiting impatiently I will say for the first pre season game.

twisted_steel2

Reaction score

Even though my mom was from Seattle, I was born in Tennessee, and spent my first 11 years there. Until the family moved back to Seattle. I was a huge NFL fan, but at that time, TN had no football team, everyone was Cowboy or Falcons fans.

I was so excited to move to Seattle, they had their own team!!! I immediately adopted them, and have been a bit of a fanatic ever since. I still remember walking into the Kingdome for the first time, walking out of the tunnel and seeing the lights and the field for the first time.... magic.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Loving all the tenured 12's in this thread! :2thumbs:

sc85sis

Reaction score

I grew up watching the Bears and will always cherish that 1985 team, especially Sweetness. It was a joy watching that man play.

I had gotten away from following the NFL for several years after moving to CA, but I became a diehard USC fan. My sister is an alum, and I started watching their games about the same time Pete got hired. His joy and energy made games so much fun to watch!

When Pete announced he was leaving, I was bummed. But then I decided to “follow” him. We had family history in Seattle (my grandmother had grown up there), and I just knew Pete was going to kill it with the Hawks. I couldn’t wait to see that happen. I’ve been following the team since then.

And I’m still a USC diehard. Expecting to follow the Hawks even after Pete eventually retires, too.